• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Status for v0.1 the Closed Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Here's the status of what is and needs to be done for the first version of The Oakwood Forest. The Closed Beta. Be aware that the purpose of the closed beta is mainly to notice bugs and mistakes and give an example of the gameplay. We're planning to reveal the closed beta to the public shortly after it which means that we will come with 2 big expansions to the Oakwood map. The additions of the Bloodbane Clan and Defiler factions as well as increasing the level cap from 20 to 30 and eventually 40.

Class Information:

The plan is to release all of the Gryphonwing Classes in the Closed Beta. That will mean the Sage, Redeemer, Rune Warrior, Ranger, Chanter, Engineer, Huntress and Stone Guard. This means 88 spells and 8 special systems had to be created. Currently around 60 of those spells have been coded and the other 28's concepts have been written down and are being worked on. From the 8 special systems I can tell you that 7 of them are finished right now.

Progress: 75%
Terrain Information:

So far a lot of terrain has been made for the map. Around 90% of the map is filled now with good looking zones while 50% of those are completely finished (with units and pathing blockers). For now the plan is to somehow make it impossible for players in the closed beta to enter various zones; giving us more time to finish them.
Progress: 90%
Quests and Loot:

There are still some quests to be made. Currently a Gryphonwing player is able to level up to level 16 by questing. For the closed beta the level limit will become 20 and because of that we're almost there. A quick guess is that we still need to make around 9 quests for this.
As for the loot I can tell you that 230 items have been created already. You might seem surprised but that's not enough for the closed beta. I believe 250 to 350 items would be good to cover a wide selection of items througout the levels 1 to 20. Another thing is that I want every boss to drop many loot possibilities so eventually every class will find a certain event interesting because the loot is good for him.

Also working on a bag system that allows you to carry multiple bags with 6 slots each. You can obtain those bags througout the game so you start with a 6 slot inventory and later on it becomes 12, 18, 24, 30, 36 and maybe even bigger.

Currently there are 4 completed missions for the Gryphonwing player. A mission is basically a collection of quests. If you completed all quests your mission is completed and you can start with your next mission. The first Gryphonwing mission is about keeping the undead away from your starting area. This mission will have 9 quests from level 1 to 5 and will end with a bossfight. After this mission you will gain your first talent point. The second Gryphonwing mission is about recapturing the Shylvar Forest where the wood elves have inhabited. The second mission has 7 quests to level up to level 9 ending with the Sistra the Forestwatcher bossfight; rewarding you with a talent point. The third mission has 5 quests and has something to do with spiders to level you to level 11;-). The fourth mission is at the Frozen Glade and has something to do with freeing the frozen dryads. This mission has 8 quests and rewards you with another talent point. At level 20 the Gryphonwing player will have done a total of 5 missions and gained 4/10 of it's total talent points already.

Progress: 50%
Events:

Currently there are only 3 events that are done. I want to have atleast 1 event for every mission so that will bring me up to a total of 5 events for levels 1 to 20. One of the events I made is for the Bloodbane missions. This means we still need to make 3 events.

Events that are done:
- Zhul'Tish the Summoner (Level 5 Gryphonwing event)
- Sistra the Forestwatcher (Level 9 Gryphonwing event)
- Engineer Ironbane (Level 5 Bloodbane event)

Events that are comming in the beta:
- The Spiderqueen (Level 11 Gryphonwing event (Giant Spider))
- Incendius, Hand of the Flame (Level 20 Gryphonwing/Bloodbane event (Giant Firelord))
- Fordaron the Keeper (Level 15 Gryphonwing Event (An event where you have to protect the frozen dryads from various waves of attackers))

Progress: 40%
Triggers and Systems:

At the moment only some spells have to be made.
I'm working on this.

Progress: 75%
Expectations:

I think the closed beta will be released within 2-4 months.
This because I will have a busy period for the next 2 months.:)

Last edited:

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
it seems to be still a big piece of work.
Videos are promising.
Im hoping now for the open beta!

Level 19
Im typing so much on my WE so my fingers hurt :( Btw Teun you saw the mail i sent you? my msn is banned. It got hacked and it was used to send spam mail

Yeah! I added your new msn but youre never online!!!!
Cant you send me your stuff in a pm with a pastebin link?

Level 19
Hehe. Idea's aren't the problem.
I've got like 30 word pages full of 'What to do next'.
It's just that we need some active coders and some time haha.

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
anything to tell about progress?
A step nearer to demo would be great!

Level 19
Yep. We dont need more volunteers for that.
Thanks anyway!
Holiday coming soon and I'll be working on this project again!

Level 19
I also feel like I want to work on it again! But I can't do this withoud a coder.
I'll contact RaiN. and see if he's up for it again! I'm asking quite alot of him to just start working again whenever I feel like it, but let's hope he also would like to start on it again.

I'll keep you informed.

Level 8
I actually haven't said I'm stopping work on this. It's just that as I predicted uni is taking most of my time and the time I have left I do stuff related to TKoK or RL. And now with holidays coming I don't think I'll even be spending time on my pc(cuz i'm going home and I really would love to spend time with friends). Maybe mid january if my uni stuff isn't as time consuming as now I will continue with the stuff I was doing. I wonder tho what happened to Hanky ?

Level 19
I actually haven't said I'm stopping work on this. It's just that as I predicted uni is taking most of my time and the time I have left I do stuff related to TKoK or RL. And now with holidays coming I don't think I'll even be spending time on my pc(cuz i'm going home and I really would love to spend time with friends). Maybe mid january if my uni stuff isn't as time consuming as now I will continue with the stuff I was doing. I wonder tho what happened to Hanky ?

Alright!
Well I also wonder what's up with Hanky. I'll contac thim.

Level 19
I still remember when you posted the first pics of it, one year ago :) I love the turtle under that tree! Any gameplay with him?

Hehe it's just a normal creature there. The area there will be for higher players so I didn't work much on it since atm we want to get everything done for levels 1 - 20. That are will most likely become like a level 30 area.
However there might come a giant turtle boss fight in there with some mechanics with his shield. We'll see.

Level 3
Finally something better then Tkok and Gaias, bored of this 2 already. It will be awesome game, great job guys. Btw are you going to add forum on your site?

Level 19
I'm kinda keeping this project alive until I'm in the mood again to work on it. The fact is, the working on it is not the bad thing about starting again. It's just that many of the things can't be done by just me, and finding the right person(s) for the project again is a thing that might cost alot of time because a coder has to get used to the codes already in the map, and I prefer not to let every coder recode functions all the time. This happend in the past and only made stuff worse and added alot of bugs to fix.
Who knows I might start on it again, but for now I just 'freeze' the map. It's just that I still got interest in the whole idea and concept, but I can't do it on my own.

Level 19
Because if there is a month without posts in a hosted forum, the forum will disappear.
Which means everything written in here will be gone. And I don't want that to happen for sure.

Level 19
Haha!
Nah Im not a big diablo 3 fan.
End of the year at school is getting closer.
I expect a busy period for that.:)
And I also want to be (almost) done with this when GW2 gets released;-)

ndh

ndh

Level 8
Oakwood Forest Beta Tester

Hey, i was wondering if you were accepting any beta testers for your closed beta. Please let me know what qualifications (if any) a potential beta tester would need in order to participate. I'm available most days, and am on Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8).

Thanks,
ndh

Status
Not open for further replies.