1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Been terraining again: Scorched Forest

Discussion in 'The Oakwood Forest' started by Sephalo, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Today I started terraining again and finished a small part of the map.
    Here's the new area I worked on. Fire elementals rule this area and it's your job to stop them with various cool quests involving water elementals to eventually help you out. The water elementals are the guardians of Maya Oathkeeper one of Gryphonwing's main Archmagi. Together with her you will assault this area to keep the flame spirits away from it.
    This area will also have a bossfight with the leader of the flame spirits.

The storyline behind the Flame Spirits is that the human sorceror Gava the Elementalist got banished from Gryphonwing Hold after his unstable use of fire that almost burned down the northern half of the hold. He, one of the last 3 Flame Keepers that mastered the destructive powers of fire, is working on an army of elemental spirits to burn Gryphonwing Hold down. Gava the Elementalist is also the wizard that took away all warmth from the Frozen Glade, the once peaceful area inhabited by the dryads. Now the curse of frost lies upon that place and the only way to cleanse it is by defeating the causer of this all, Gava the Elementalist.

Eventually througout the Oakwood questline you will face against Gava the Elementalist at level 40. In earlier bossfights you will battle against his fiery minions.

Anyway here's the screenshot from the Scorcher Forest area:
    "Screenshot"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That grass or whatever your using looks ugly! Also, you should reduce the fire spam. Tint those rocks to be more red, it will give them the fire effect! That goes for the rest of the doodads near the fire! The trees should be more black i think, because they're burned.

3. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm. Cant make the grass look that much better. Not many choices. And the rocks really look damn ugly if theyre even more red. They're tinted already. And the tree's are pretty dark already, if I make it even more black it doesn't really look that good anymore. That's how wc3's colour tinting works meh:(

4. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well just set the rocks like this: Red 255 Green 200 Blue 200 or Red 255 Green 150 Blue 200

5. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't know it exactly, but I think its currently like:
    Blue: ~150, Red, ~220, Green, ~165.

Might be the bad fog that changed the colour a bit.
    Anyways, I will look at it:D It's a part that is still unfinished:D
    And I reduced the amoutn of fires in my own way. Sam eamount of fire doodads, but i lowered them in the ground, so theres a red glow around rocks basically. So no fire, but you can sence the heath.;-)
    The tree's are still fire spammed, but thats what I like. Tree's taht are totally burning:D And the tree's ar e alittlebit darker now aswel:D

Thanks for the tips:D

I'll soon post Screenshots of a new Undead vs Goblin area I've been working on lately.

Storyline behind that: Goblins used to live there, now the area is all scorched and dead because of the undead, but the goblins ar epersistent and dont want to leave the area so they have little encampments of rumble barricades and all to defend theirselves.

stay tuned:D

6. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hehe, cant wait to see that goblin vs undead terrain! :D

7. Gladius_Tito

Gladius_Tito

Resources:
    Resources:
    Try using the glow model tinted different colors of flame and put around fires. It adds a firey tint without the need of omnilights or actual tinting.

8. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't think that's really needed.
    It's fine right now. I don't really like working with lightning effects too much because it's not a silly terrain, it's a playable terrain which means the players won't look for details that much if they're playing anyway. And I'm not really in the mood to go and find new imports for such little additions.

9. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Some say that the smallest detail makes it perfect. :)

10. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    This Friday my weekend starts and I might update more.
    I'm really busy with my study at the moment which is really great but I cannot split myself to make music (which is my study basically) and do wc3 at the same time.
    Would love to show more stuff though so I will work on it this weekend I suppose.

11. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    As promised!
    6 screenshots of the Undead vs Goblin area.
    (the castle walls you see at the 5th and 6th picture are from a lost orc city)

Attached Files:

12. Gwy

Gwy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pictures look great!

Any news/progress around the demo?

13. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not much news.
    But I can tell we're working on it.

14. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Don't get me wrong, but, it is a HORRIBLE idea to use the corn model as a grass :/

otherwise, it looks ok :)

15. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree.
    That's why I didn't use the corn model at all.

16. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think your terraining is quite accurate :p
    Problem about it are that the textures of the models you use are looking terrible ugly or at some points stretched :/
    Not really your fault... and very hard to change... but I try to give you an aspect which might polish your terrain really much...

Anyways. If you want a more detailed review on any specific terrain, feel free to ask me ;)

17. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are no other options for some of the models.
    I mean. I can't put too much kb in the map because it has to be multiplayer.
    And per example this Grain Scorched model. There is no alternative for having something like 'death grass'. There is Shrub, River Rushes and maybe Corn/Wheat but all of those really don't make sence even if you recolor them.

18. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, the grass is really a big problem and it looks really ugly. Just add some brown grass and it will do fine, at least better then Grain scorched doodad. Those big mushrooms also look ugly, it looks if so the tile is high resolution now, and it isn't. Same goes for the rocks, too stretched.

19. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm I don't really share that opinion.
    Brown grass doesn't look 'death' enough for me. I would rather request a new kind of 'death shrub' model then. Else I would still stick to this because I don't think it's that ugly (ingame atleast). As for the rocks. Yeah they are too stretched at a few parts. I could deffo make them smaller and stack a few more on eachother. I don't really find the mushrooms bothering. Ingame they look quite good actually and the high/low res thing doesn't bother me there at all. It's still warcraft III you know.:)

20. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Oh sorry, in the german version, the model is kalled corn. ;)