• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Been terraining again: Scorched Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Today I started terraining again and finished a small part of the map.
Here's the new area I worked on. Fire elementals rule this area and it's your job to stop them with various cool quests involving water elementals to eventually help you out. The water elementals are the guardians of Maya Oathkeeper one of Gryphonwing's main Archmagi. Together with her you will assault this area to keep the flame spirits away from it.
This area will also have a bossfight with the leader of the flame spirits.

The storyline behind the Flame Spirits is that the human sorceror Gava the Elementalist got banished from Gryphonwing Hold after his unstable use of fire that almost burned down the northern half of the hold. He, one of the last 3 Flame Keepers that mastered the destructive powers of fire, is working on an army of elemental spirits to burn Gryphonwing Hold down. Gava the Elementalist is also the wizard that took away all warmth from the Frozen Glade, the once peaceful area inhabited by the dryads. Now the curse of frost lies upon that place and the only way to cleanse it is by defeating the causer of this all, Gava the Elementalist.

Eventually througout the Oakwood questline you will face against Gava the Elementalist at level 40. In earlier bossfights you will battle against his fiery minions.

Anyway here's the screenshot from the Scorcher Forest area:
87614d1281720786-screenshots-scorchingflamesforestpart.jpg

Last edited:
Level 19
Hmm. Cant make the grass look that much better. Not many choices. And the rocks really look damn ugly if theyre even more red. They're tinted already. And the tree's are pretty dark already, if I make it even more black it doesn't really look that good anymore. That's how wc3's colour tinting works meh:(

Level 19
Well just set the rocks like this: Red 255 Green 200 Blue 200 or Red 255 Green 150 Blue 200

Don't know it exactly, but I think its currently like:
Blue: ~150, Red, ~220, Green, ~165.

Might be the bad fog that changed the colour a bit.
Anyways, I will look at it:D It's a part that is still unfinished:D
And I reduced the amoutn of fires in my own way. Sam eamount of fire doodads, but i lowered them in the ground, so theres a red glow around rocks basically. So no fire, but you can sence the heath.;-)
The tree's are still fire spammed, but thats what I like. Tree's taht are totally burning:D And the tree's ar e alittlebit darker now aswel:D

Thanks for the tips:D

I'll soon post Screenshots of a new Undead vs Goblin area I've been working on lately.

Storyline behind that: Goblins used to live there, now the area is all scorched and dead because of the undead, but the goblins ar epersistent and dont want to leave the area so they have little encampments of rumble barricades and all to defend theirselves.

stay tuned:D

Level 19
Don't think that's really needed.
It's fine right now. I don't really like working with lightning effects too much because it's not a silly terrain, it's a playable terrain which means the players won't look for details that much if they're playing anyway. And I'm not really in the mood to go and find new imports for such little additions.

Don't think that's really needed.
It's fine right now. I don't really like working with lightning effects too much because it's not a silly terrain, it's a playable terrain which means the players won't look for details that much if they're playing anyway. And I'm not really in the mood to go and find new imports for such little additions.

Some say that the smallest detail makes it perfect. :)

Level 19
This Friday my weekend starts and I might update more.
I'm really busy with my study at the moment which is really great but I cannot split myself to make music (which is my study basically) and do wc3 at the same time.
Would love to show more stuff though so I will work on it this weekend I suppose.

Level 19
As promised!
6 screenshots of the Undead vs Goblin area.
(the castle walls you see at the 5th and 6th picture are from a lost orc city)

Attachments

• GUD1.jpg
    GUD1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 412
  • GUD2.jpg
    GUD2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 220
  • GUD3.jpg
    GUD3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 237
  • GUD4.jpg
    GUD4.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 215
  • GUD5.jpg
    GUD5.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 323
  • GUD6.jpg
    GUD6.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 284
Level 23
I think your terraining is quite accurate :p
Problem about it are that the textures of the models you use are looking terrible ugly or at some points stretched :/
Not really your fault... and very hard to change... but I try to give you an aspect which might polish your terrain really much...

Anyways. If you want a more detailed review on any specific terrain, feel free to ask me ;)

Level 19
There are no other options for some of the models.
I mean. I can't put too much kb in the map because it has to be multiplayer.
And per example this Grain Scorched model. There is no alternative for having something like 'death grass'. There is Shrub, River Rushes and maybe Corn/Wheat but all of those really don't make sence even if you recolor them.

Level 19
Hmm I don't really share that opinion.
Brown grass doesn't look 'death' enough for me. I would rather request a new kind of 'death shrub' model then. Else I would still stick to this because I don't think it's that ugly (ingame atleast). As for the rocks. Yeah they are too stretched at a few parts. I could deffo make them smaller and stack a few more on eachother. I don't really find the mushrooms bothering. Ingame they look quite good actually and the high/low res thing doesn't bother me there at all. It's still warcraft III you know.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.