• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft Remastered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12

logo-starcraft-remastered-473x118-a925c856d631c5fa96142460a663b5cde846b2240fb5a430fd7ac0f07639db22641418789085842c3d8182f4d1019be747f27a933949de2d2d885c0d68ea8d34.png

terran-bust-e0247dcce167c6840381dbf4e98387fd87634a28df88063be0ad67f9d3a33b388872c52dcba4a9ac66a596d87db77be7babcacce56d63e8ed2a72a43e2369249.png

Some Features
-Remastered units, buildings, environment and audio
-True widescreen support
-Gameplay UNCHANGED (I.E max selection size is still 12)
-Blizzard's friends and matchmaking
-Revised dialog

Official website: StarCraft Remastered

Q&A done by Team Liquid: An interview with the Devs of StarCraft: Remastered

Additionally, Starcraft Brood War will receive a new patch and be FREE
Patch notes: StarCraft v1.18a Patch Notes; Preparation for SC:R

What does this mean for WarCraft III?
Since StarCraft: Remastered will be built on the original StarCraft engine, any changes related to it's battle.net will likely reach WarCraft III's battle.net. Some features announced for SC:R are new and improved anti hack system, custom hotkeys and legacy accounts no longer expiring.

Additionally, since it is the same team working on the WarCraft III updates and StarCraft Remastered, many interviews with the team about their upcomming project may shed some light on the future of WarCraft III. For exemple, here is an interview with a Senior Classics Team Producer where it is discussed that WarCraft III will be in the backburner until StarCraft Remastered is shipped and stable. Also the interview confirms that the classics team is around 20ish people.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Nice emphasis on community by the interviewee.

It looks gorgeous (expect for minimap entries overlapping with the new UI in the replay sample on the web page).

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Oh yeah and I just reeeeeeally hope for a Warcraft III editor update for this Remaster version in the coming year(s).

EDIT: I mean an update for the Brood War editor to be similar to Warcraft III's.

Last edited:
Level 1
Can someone from the guys that are in contact with Blizzard say if this will reach Warcraft 3 (without breaching NDA), please? Or anything related to Warcraft 3 in light of this recent news... anything :(

Level 11
Can someone from the guys that are in contact with Blizzard say if this will reach Warcraft 3 (without breaching NDA), please? Or anything related to Warcraft 3 in light of this recent news... anything :(

Hey we just got a file size boost, don't worry - Blizzard will come around.
Knowing exactly what they're working on will require someone on the dev team, however they may not be able to release any info because of confidentiality.

Great news indeed! However I'm not sure I will buy Starcraft "again" just for some nice graphical changes. Another cash cow ready to be milked, pathetic. I hope they earn nothing from it. Most players who brought old Starcraft copies are going to be disappointed now that original SC is going to be made free and this new Remastered edition will be a seperate upgrade to purchase. It means that our money went into air for this crappy decision. Instead they could have at least made Remastered edition free for those who brought older SC 1.

Edit: I hope "Warcraft 3 Remastered" will not follow the same shitty marketing plan, if it ever happens.

Last edited:
Level 20
Great news indeed! However I'm not sure I will buy Starcraft "again" just for some nice graphical changes. Another cash cow ready to be milked, pathetic. I hope they earn nothing from it. Most players who brought old Starcraft copies are going to be disappointed now that original SC is going to be made free and this new Remastered edition will be a seperate upgrade to purchase. It means that our money went into air for this crappy decision. Instead they could have at least made Remastered edition free for those who brought older SC 1.

Edit: I hope "Warcraft 3 Remastered" will not follow the same shitty marketing plan, if it ever happens.

For sure. I bought the digital copies of the SC and Brood War and I was like : WUUUUUUUUUUUUT?

"That's awsome, but what happened if I already bought the digital copies?" DAMN!

Level 6
This situation about making it free, it's probably also a technical decision due to the huuuge amount of keys that are spreaded wildy and they're currently flooding Battle.net.

Of course, this isn't said publicly.

Level 18
This is a fantastic way to spend a minimal amount of money to breathe new live into a legacy game and get a nice new revenue stream along with it. We should all hope that this experiment is successful because that will bode very well for Warcraft III Remastered. As much as I'd love to see that though, I'd much prefer a Warcraft IV announcement!!

To piss off people, who genuinely brought Starcraft copies. As a result non-remastered Starcraft copies have no value and are worthless...

one question.. why do you seem so.. hostile towards what blizzard is doing? sure everything they make has to produce some money for them, but still.. i'm not sure if its just me, or you're annoying some old-school gamers along with me <.<

one question.. why do you seem so.. hostile towards what blizzard is doing? sure everything they make has to produce some money for them, but still.. i'm not sure if its just me, or you're annoying some old-school gamers along with me <.<

I love annoying old-school gamers, there's just something amusing about it.

Nah, just kidding. I'm upset because I wasted my money on a game that is 100% free now. I'm not hostile against the work they put into it, I'm hostile against their poor marketing plan.

@A Void well.. i don't see it as a big deal, i see it as an opportunity to own something i came to love playing in the darker ages, when games weren't exactly bought legit :b and while i'm at it, now i definitely could buy it all in one go

And going back to "darker ages" will be exactly what I will do with Remastered Edition. Never been any easier than this. :)

Level 21
Well it's not wasted money, you got to play the product over all those years, didn't you? @A Void
(also i bought the game on release, making the original free is just inviting curious players to try a legacy game - hopefully)

What i find a little worrying is, that they will probably not opt for handing us, the oldtime customers, a free REMASTERED version.
(something Bethesda just did last year with Skyrim remastered - everyone who already owned the Skyrim legendary version got that for free!)

But this might be good news for WC3 indeed, i'm just not convinced a facelift is all that required in Warcraft.
Also i wonder how much they will charge for this new version, i suspect something around 20$.
I hope they don't charge money for a WC3 remastered version as well, it suddenly becomes very awkward thinking about this.

Time will tell

What i find a little worrying is, that they will probably not opt for handing us, the oldtime customers, a free REMASTERED version.
(something Bethesda just did last year with Skyrim remastered - everyone who already owned the Skyrim legendary version got that for free!)

But this might be good news for WC3 indeed, i'm just not convinced a facelift is all that required in Warcraft.
Also i wonder how much they will charge for this new version, i suspect something around 20$.
I hope they don't charge money for a WC3 remastered version as well, it suddenly becomes very awkward thinking about this.

Time will tell

I don't know if they will offer existing owners a free HD copy, that would be nice.

Wc3 is totally different. The Sc1 scene did not want anything more than graphical and back end support upgrades. They were explicit that gameplay not be touched. They examined revised art animations down to pixels to make sure the upgraded assets were identical. For Wc3 the community is asking for fairly extensive balance changes in addition to backend items - and they are coming. Blizzard is listening to both groups and working with them to get the games where their fans want them to be.

Level 7
I don't know if they will offer existing owners a free HD copy, that would be nice.

Wc3 is totally different. The Sc1 scene did not want anything more than graphical and back end support upgrades. They were explicit that gameplay not be touched. They examined revised art animations down to pixels to make sure the upgraded assets were identical. For Wc3 the community is asking for fairly extensive balance changes in addition to backend items - and they are coming. Blizzard is listening to both groups and working with them to get the games where their fans want them to be.
As far as I know it will be totally free to play, won't it?

Level 7
That was my initial assumption, I've never discussed pricing with them. It seems we will need to wait.
I watched a video from LowkoTV (which is a SC2 caster) and he said it was going to be free to play.

I'm not sure about his sources, I just didn't doubt. It wans't said on the interview?

Level 7
"Blizzard is developing StarCraft: Remastered for release on Windows® and Mac® PCs, with an anticipated release date this summer. Pricing and related information on StarCraft: Remastered will be announced at a later date. .....Once the update is live, StarCraft Anthology, which includes the original game and the Brood War expansion, will be free to download and play."

Anyway I don't see why people bitching about buying the original Starcraft. You either did it 17+ years ago for full price or so cheap between 0-5+ years ago that a simple DLC is more expensive for Sc2 now. I bought my Starcraft+BW pack for 3-4 euro around 5 year ago. This release will give us 4k sprites from scratch etc, of course they won't work for totally free. I can see it as a nice gesture to give copies those who already own them, but not mandatory way.

Level 7
"Blizzard is developing StarCraft: Remastered for release on Windows® and Mac® PCs, with an anticipated release date this summer. Pricing and related information on StarCraft: Remastered will be announced at a later date. .....Once the update is live, StarCraft Anthology, which includes the original game and the Brood War expansion, will be free to download and play."

Anyway I don't see why people bitching about buying the original Starcraft. You either did it 17+ years ago for full price or so cheap between 0-5+ years ago that a simple DLC is more expensive for Sc2 now. I bought my Starcraft+BW pack for 3-4 euro around 5 year ago. This release will give us 4k sprites from scratch etc, of course they won't work for totally free. I can see it as a nice gesture to give copies those who already own them, but not mandatory way.
I really don't see any problem on paying more. But just to be sure, people who already have the keys won't get anything out of the Remasters? Sad...

Level 7
You get bug fixes and improvements, including the ability to rebind keys; observer mode; modern anti-cheat measures; compatibility improvements for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10; and more.

Level 7
You get bug fixes and improvements, including the ability to rebind keys; observer mode; modern anti-cheat measures; compatibility improvements for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10; and more.
I was talking content to people who already have the keys, not everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.