• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sparkly New WiP Texture Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
The SunThe Moon
The EmperorThe Empress

The Fool
The Hierophant

The Magician
The High Priestess

The Hermit
The Lovers

The Devil
Death

The Hanged Man
The Chariot

Strength
The Wheel of Fortune

Judgement
Temperance

The World
The Star

Well, my idea would be to make 2 sets of textures, representing two teams, with each member representing one of the cards in the Major Arcana in Tarot.
The one I started with is The Emperor and I come with WIPs.

EmperorWiP1.jpg

[very, VERY bland WIP because I just started working on it..]

EDIT 1: I can't decide on a face paint pattern for him, might ditch the idea entirely.

FacepaintQUESTIONMARK.jpg

EDIT 2: :v
Smuari.jpg

EDIT 3: I wonder how long I can get this post to be before someone else replies. I'm having so much fun.

What-1.jpg

EDIT 4: Lions aren't wrapping that well, I'll mess around with skew.

Lionz.jpg

EDIT 5: LIONS, LIONS EVERYWHERE

Lionz-1.jpg

Last edited:
Level 10
Quite nice from what we see, I love how you made the cloth fold. The lions are nice as well, and I surely love that face. I had a suggestion, but i see it is not possible to do so without modifying the model first. It would have been nice if you could make the red clothing team colored, but meh, it's perfect for now.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Well, my idea would be to make 2 sets of textures, representing two teams, with each member representing one of the cards in the Major Arcana in Tarot.

If someone were to make an AoS themed around this, it would be very awesome.

Any particular reason for the Kabuki paint on an Emperor? Just seems a strange style choice :p

Watch your detail level. It appears you're working in 512x512, if you keep it reasonably clear it should still resize down to 256x256 nicely.

About the cape, definitely go single colour. In-game visibility is king and considering the mix of red and gold on the body, having it on the cape trim would simply blend in. You might also want to consider a third colour for the body, or just shift his lower abdomen and legs a little more toward the purple end.

Speaking as someone who's worked with this model recently, you want to make the most important parts of the model stand out the most. Namely, the floaty projectile weapons, followed by the head, the shoulderpads and then the cape. If you focus on drawing more attention to those areas, it'll look more effective in-game :)

Level 45
Left was my own choice, too, what a coincidence.

Any particular reason for the Kabuki paint on an Emperor? Just seems a strange style choice :p

I chose to give the 'red' side face paint in order to emphasize their chaotic nature. They are a faction led by their feelings, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it contrasts with the opposite faction's more logical approach.

Watch your detail level. It appears you're working in 512x512, if you keep it reasonably clear it should still resize down to 256x256 nicely.

I like to think there won't be any problems, except maybe the belt.

About the cape, definitely go single colour. In-game visibility is king and considering the mix of red and gold on the body, having it on the cape trim would simply blend in. You might also want to consider a third colour for the body, or just shift his lower abdomen and legs a little more toward the purple end.

Yeah, I'm having trouble adding more than two colours since we don't get along that well.

Speaking as someone who's worked with this model recently, you want to make the most important parts of the model stand out the most. Namely, the floaty projectile weapons, followed by the head, the shoulderpads and then the cape. If you focus on drawing more attention to those areas, it'll look more effective in-game :)

Are you hiding textures from us? >:C
Lame remark aside, this is what I ended up with yesterday before shutting the PC off.

Rawr-3.jpg

I'm not particularly happy with either his shoulderpads or his collar thing.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The "collar" is a bit out of place, indeed, but I think the shoulders work out nicely. Perhaps adding a trim to the lower piece would be beneficial. How does the back look, by the way?

Otherwise, this is pretty awesome, and I'm looking forward to see the next ones as well.

Level 49
His boots.
Kiddy slippers.

Otherwise, I'm digging this guy. His facepaint is great. I liked the streak of gold in his hair, but I guess it had to go. The shoulderpads look kinda... Bad, but I guess you're changing them. He needs some teamcolor though, and the cape, being non-TC as it is, looks really unfinished(it lacks color and details).

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Hate to be the Suggest-O-Bot 4000, but after reading the description, wouldn't Jaina be a better model for the Empress? Being a caster, she'd be a better parrallel to the Emperor (plus the Warden seems more of a badass warrior-type). But yeah, the Warden would be awesome as High Priestess, The Star or Judgement.

Looks good, though :)

(Oh yeah, and I'd definitely like to see a portrait shot of the Emperor. A full-body shot of him resized and zoomed out a little would be great as well)

Level 45
Well I had originally wanted both Emperor and Empress to have similar cape styles :v and as far as I know, only the Warden has a similar cape. Also, contributes a bit to the 'lion' theme I had for the Emperor, him being a slacker and the Empress/lioness doing all the work.
Either way, here's an in-game screenshot of the Emperor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• In-game.jpg
    In-game.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 291
Level 49
Seriously, imagine if all that red was TC.
You should definitely release a 'bonus' model\skin to when you release the Emperor with all the red replaced with TC(you'll have to edit it in Magos a bit for that). Just attach it to a post or something.
Also, his eyebrows seem... Wrong. I mean there's a white 'line' under them on that portrait, you might want to fix that up.

And yeah, that Warden definitely looks more like a High Priestess than the Empress. :<

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Tell me about it :p

Make them clear, simple and bright. Pointy and wicked ought to do the trick, don't introduce too many colours on the weapon either. Speaking of colours, the rest of the armor could probably use some differently coloured trim and such to break up the blue; value contrast may not be enough at in-game level.

Erwt gave me some good advice for this model a while back in the thread for this skin (could have sworn I fixed the broken links and stuff, but anywho); the stuff that's hidden beneath the cape isn't really going to be visible in-game, so making it as compositionally strong as the parts that will be seen goes against the philosophy you're working with. Tone it down and the different areas won't be fighting for attention :)

Level 45
Don't worry about the colours, I'll fiddle with them once I'm done. I ended up tracing over the original weapon's blades because that area is a bitch. Also did the back-wing-things and the cape, still working on the latter. The reasoning behind the edge trim is that it contrasts with the Emperor's soft, round trim by being pointy.

attachment.php

EDIT 1: Trim which is virtually invisible on the first screenshot... ._.

attachment.php

EDIT 2: Warden Noire

attachment.php

Attachments

• SoYeah.jpg
    SoYeah.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 463
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 428
  • wardenNoire.jpg
    wardenNoire.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Level 26
I think it would be awesome if you'd change these arrows on the weapon into a single heart on each segment. And it would be quite creative if you'd change the blades of the weapon to some kind of feather/wing blades :>

Level 45
So yeah, I think I'm happy with how she contrasts to the emperor in-game. And I'm sick of fiddling around with the lasso tool and colours.

attachment.php

EDIT 1: I now have a shiny sparkly table on the first post to keep track of progress...

EDIT 2: Who summoned the Devil? >:v

attachment.php

Attachments

• Yep.jpg
    Yep.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 430
  • THEDEVIL.jpg
    THEDEVIL.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 808
Level 26
No offense, but that looks.. kinda weird. :O
Why not go for the typical depiction of evil in religious text?

One side is ultra evil, complete darkness and with a glowing eye, glowing runic symbols and whatnot, the other, is the lesser evil. Sort of a Jekyll and Hyde in one. :O
Also, I'd suggest trying to make either most of the elf ears into horns.. or.. make some of the elf ear into a horn and some of it into a regular ear. XD

The most modern depiction of the devil is where one half is something that looks like a human businessman and the other a is pure demon.
Personally, I'd love to see that guy wtih a tophat and tie, but that would require modeling. XD

Also, skeletal dark versions of his original wings would add to the devil feel of it, as most religions say that they can't fly. :O
(Even though Christianity says that he doesn't rule hell, nor that he is in it. In fact all the abrahamistic religions says that he is on earth and tempt man to do evil.)

Something like the original metamorphed Illidan on one side and this version thing on the other. It's just a thought, take it or leave it. XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.