• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #25 Theme Poll

Which of these themes deserve to be used in the upcoming contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once more we're here to pour and drink some themes with a clear head(if possible). Here are the chosen ones at your disposal:

Steampunk - is a sub-genre of science fiction and sometimes fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.

Alien/Sci-Fi - could be anything from the deepest oozes of space to the lightest canopy creatures just as long as it looks otherworldly.

Elemental - creatures of nature/space/universe that have the sole purpose of keeping the original chaotic nature of things.

Dark Elves/Drow - related to the night and much more elven like spider theme robes(you name it we make it).

Ethereal - beings that are torn between this plane of existence and the next one.

Underwater monstrosity - anything from the ordinary naga all the way up to Cthulhu.

Alternate Life - what if Warcraft Characters had different storylines? Example: What if Arthas has never took the Frostmourne? How would other characters develop?
Though the idea above requires one to have very deep understanding of the lore.

Tribal - participants are required to create a tribal themed units. Whether it is the tribes associated with WoW lore, or real life, it is up to discussion.

Fusion - what happens if a satyr is fused with a gnoll? Create an acceptable concept texture that resembles a fusion between two creatures in the WoW universe.

Game of thrones - because the show takes an interesting approach towards ancient history and we can do what ever we want with it. On top of that, it brings a more realistic texturing approach. Click.

Dragon warrior - one could turn a unit into a lizard type creature or take a unit and give him a sweet looking plate armor with dragon designs all over it.

Double and Down - contestants are to pick any of standard playing or tarot cards, and convert the idea upon a character skin of choice. Such skin can, for examples, be a cruel yet stunningly beautiful Queen of Hearts, a wretched old Ace of Spades, an undead monstrosity representing the Hanged Man, or a building texture of a temple to represent the Wheel of Fortune.

Pirates - a pirate is a person who commits warlike acts at sea without the authorization of any nation. Yarrr m8!

Insect/Insectoid - any relate-able creature/being that's insect-like in its nature. Think about the silithid and quiraji for example.

Retro game re-imagined - Retro games are generally those produced from the 1970s to 1990s. For example, this, this and this. You try to retexture it using a warcraft3 unit (maybe doom guard or Ogre) etc.

Dual nature - It could work by making two skins for a model or 1 for two different models depending on what that being/person can switch between.
  • For example, think of Jeckyl and Hyde.
  • An orc and a fel orc.
  • A worgen and a human.

Theme Discussion

Just like always, I expect each one of you to vote carefully. Read the explanations first and then cast your votes.
You decide, we deliver.

With that all tied up, I'll see you all next Wednesday. Good day~

Last edited:
Level 18
My votes:
  • Steampunk: I really love this aesthetic style and mechanical ingenuity.
  • Elemental: many contest tend to have elemental themes so more resources of this kind would be vastly usefull. (I am looking at you Techtree and Hero contests)
  • Pirates: a clasic format, these kind of resource are used in many things from mini-games to adventure maps. (Go for the clasic theme).

Last edited:
Are we then fine with the apparent winner so far?
Should we be done with it and go ahead or should we strip the poll entirely and re-do it by modifying the options available?

I would hate to see an ill-fated contest taking place when we could re-make this poll and have a chance at having a decent contest activity.

Your call guys.

Last edited:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

drow isn't that bad. i'm in whatever the theme is.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
True, though there are ways to curate public polls such as this to avoid any non-contestant skewing things towards personal preference... Say, an erstwhile Troll lover constantly trying to make Contests make Trolls. Hypothetically speaking, that is.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

the only thing that bother me is drow ears.
it's restricting to only able to texture model that have a long ears.

except if that ears is not mandatory, i'm fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Drow all day, erry day. (Might even dust off the ol' phertersherp for this)
Dude! You're back, again? Boy do I have a (familiar) proposition for you. ; P

the only thing that bother me is drow ears.
it's restricting to only able to texture model that have a long ears.

except if that ears is not mandatory, i'm fine.
Drows could involve lots of non-Elf things; spiders, spider-people, mind flayers, slaves, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.