• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #32 - Theme POLL

Texturing Contest #32 Theme?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Alright, folks, I've compiled your suggestions from the discussion thread into a poll so that we can vote on the next contest theme. You can cast your vote even if you don't plan on participating, and you can vote for more than one theme. What matters is that we choose an engaging and fun theme together!

A few words about each possibility:
  • Seasonal Skins - Retexture wc3 in-game and custom models be it in a wintery theme, Halloween, easter, etc.
  • Post-apocalyptic - The world ended, which is not important, but the skin should reflect a character having to adapt to the end of the world as they knew it.
  • Alternate Universe to Warcraft Universe - Fel Thrall, Arthas as King of Lordaeron, Druid Illidan, and vice-versa, etc.
  • Monster Hunter - Create a texture that represents someone who hunts monsters.
  • Mirror Dimension / Cosmic Horror - Create a horror creature that may take inspiration from H.P Lovecraft's Cthulhu dimension.
  • Disease - Create a texture for any Warcraft unit with an infection spreading onto them.
  • Faerie / Woodlands - Something like treants, wisps, faerie dragons, and the like.
  • Dragons - Create, or recreate a dragon texture. Also includes draconic minions and spawns.
  • Final Form - Recreate a unit into its elite counterpart.
  • Re-Classic - Reimagining an existing creature/character while keeping it the same.
  • Elemental - Creatures/characters based on the four(+) elements.
  • Flora - Warcraft units but now they're plants.
  • Beach / Summer - Textures illustrating characters during an off-day beach party.
  • Lost Civilizations - Textures representing ancient and forgotten civilizations within the Warcraft universe.
  • Cyberpunk / Mechanical Enhancement - Warcraft units reimagined in a futuristic setting where cybernetic enhancements are commonplace.
  • Terrain - Create a new (or retexture an existing) tileset. Aiming at around 4 tiles + a cliff tile.
  • Buildings - Retexture an existing Warcraft structure or building.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Voted for Faerie/Woodlands, Flora, Buildings and Terrain. I am specially inclined for the latter: since contest entries tend to be higher in quality, I yearn to see what could come out of it. Might change my vote to be only Terrain if I see more people voting for it. :smile:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
In my opinion, we've reached a point where retexturing a custom model can be just as valuable as doing so with an existing model. Meaning either option is fine.

On the other hand, that does raise some questions as to the pool of available models. We want everyone to be on equal footing with what they can use, and while yes, all contestants have access to the hive's database, some of our custom models are just straight-up higher quality than the vanilla models. Which could potentially lead to bias toward picking custom models.

Not to mention some models are harder than others to texture which might disadvantage some contestants. Even tho the dimensions can be equal the amount of actual space used/needed to be restructured can vary wildly.

For example compare how little of the Footman skin is actually used compared to likes of Arthas or the Priest.

Level 35
I voted for Seasonal (Halloween), Monster Hunter and Lost Civilizations.
I think that each October should have some mini contest and to be finished before Halloween, so we can have Halloween spirit and vibe though October here in Hive :cgrin: Well one year could be texture, while the second model and so on. That should be regardless of other contests. The same could got for Winter/Christmass/New Year as well, so October and December could be reserved for those.
Oh my votes.... to explain why I voted for those 3, well, Halloween is self-explanation, as Wc3 is filled with undead, demons and other creatures, and it can be epxloited a bit further. SInce there are monsters, there should be a monster hunter as well, and third, Lost Civilization got my vote because it is also a theme that also has potential, such as tribal on jungle/islands for example or other civilizations. Sunken Ruins is a great example in Wc3.
I also like other possible choices such as beach/summer since we are in the summertime now, it would be cool ot have some palms, coctails, white sand in the shade here and there haha! It provokes! :cgrin: Flora theme is nice too, environmental protection from demons :cgrin:

Oh, if you noticed, the poll is tight for now, the results are fairly close, many of them. This will be interesting!

I voted for Re-Classic.Perhaps I should wait until the results are confirmed. Only then will my Magtheridon be uploaded.:cry:
I am also looking forward to Elemental. Because except for Ragnaros the Firelord. I have never seen any other Elemental King before.:xxd:
No matter what the outcome is. I am looking forward to this competition.:grin:

Last edited:
Level 32
Maybe more define one to actually explain what do you want in Re-Classic theme?
Is it like you remake a concept from existing model? Let's say you want to "re-classic" Golem Statue and you decide to double down the "statue" of the golem and you make a GolemStatue that is a sentient moving rock statue instead of metal.
Or you just simply improve over the original by amplifying the og concept. As shown in BaiyuGalan screenshot.
In contest, themes should not be that vague and to make sure don't repeat the last time Archie didn't explain it properly. I'm squeezing every juice of info I can get to provide everyone a ground. Not that we think footman get his theme as advantage or not.

Stawp biasing poor Betsy, give us some plot twist.
I dont think my comment biased votes. Generally people will vote for what they themselves want.
Maybe more define one to actually explain what do you want in Re-Classic theme?
Is it like you remake a concept from existing model? Let's say you want to "re-classic" Golem Statue and you decide to double down the "statue" of the golem and you make a GolemStatue that is a sentient moving rock statue instead of metal.
Or you just simply improve over the original by amplifying the og concept. As shown in BaiyuGalan screenshot.
In contest, themes should not be that vague and to make sure don't repeat the last time Archie didn't explain it properly. I'm squeezing every juice of info I can get to provide everyone a ground. Not that we think footman get his theme as advantage or not.
Re-Classic is simple. Take a Reforged unit and try to make another SD model/unit look as accurate to the reforged/enhanced version as possible.

Level 35
Re-Classic is simple. Take a Reforged unit and try to make another SD model/unit look as accurate to the reforged/enhanced version as possible.
What he said. Just look at model section, we have grunts in 20 versions for an example or footmans, each subfaction even from Wow got its own unit, and too many reclassics. I am for it of course, the more people create that is the better, more choices are always better... but having this even in contest, I am afraid that soon we will have reclassics everywhere in each post or thread as we do not have enough of it already. Reclassic here, reclassic there, reclassic this, reclassic that... like footman said, this possibly can kill creativity, very predictable theme.

What he said. Just look at model section, we have grunts in 20 versions for an example or footmans, each subfaction even from Wow got its own unit, and too many reclassics. I am for it of course, the more people create that is the better, more choices are always better... but having this even in contest, I am afraid that soon we will have reclassics everywhere in each post or thread as we do not have enough of it already. Reclassic here, reclassic there, reclassic this, reclassic that... like footman said, this possibly can kill creativity, very predictable theme.
I think re-classic is necessary if we ever want to have true SD/HD cross compatibility

Level 32
In a manner when I see skin section, you are more likely to see creation to improvise a fantasy for anyone with anytaste.
When I recommend a theme, obviously I have to look back previous contests and yeah the last one repeat custom model theme before but due to reviving reasoning. If I let my innerchild take over, i be voting for fire theme by now because fire is sexy.
But I still picking something new at the end of the day because I want to see more of them.
Does Re-Classic sway me joining the contest? Depending on interests, it's not like I be in disbelief. I was the one recommend Building as the theme for a contest because it's middle of comfortable and challenging that even the fresh one can succeed it. It got tied 2nd place to cyberpunk theme but still lose to Re-Classic.
Unless you decided to combine both theme, i say the chance of me joining this theme will be around 60-40 as the reason was due to exhaustion. Definitely a Go Home Hiver moment.

Level 35
I agree with Shido. Especially this:
But I still picking something new at the end of the day because I want to see more of them.
Many of you are great artists and very skilled and your imagination combined with your skills can make really amazing results! Thats why I prefer you to unleash your abilities on ,,reporpusing" rather than ,,reclassic" types of work, where your imagination could work at its finest!
@Footman16 sorry sir if I did not elaborate my points a bit further.
Lets see like this: You are professional skinner. Now, take this, you repaint footman into a gold, to make gold warrior or something like that. It will be something new perhaps. Or in the model, add him horns, red skin, different armor and sword and here you go, demonic footman. But those are golden and demonic versions, they are completely new as they do not exist in stock footman, stock Wc3. You cannot reclassic something like that because it must have classic to be ,,reclasic'd" so you are limited to stock footman or captian. The same goes to every model you skin. They should match the original classic model, just to be reimagined. While, in the other hand, you are free to paint as you wish, because more themes give you more choices and maneuvers to do.
Swamp, fairy, jungle, winter, halloween etc... allmost all units can be adapted to those themes, but reclassic should just have refreshed original units.
Thats why I like more those re-claccis versions to be in the model section as they are extremely valuable regardless most of them have ,,useful/simple" tags. I think rules should be softened. But this is a contest, and perhaps this should be left out.
But this is just my humble opinion, please, do not let it distract you, I am sure all of you will nicely adapt on it, and more masterpieces will emerge from it. I am happy to see your work friends!

You can take any model and turn it into a different unit, you're taking very basic examples in the Footman and Captain but what about turning UD Arthas into Fallen King Arthas? All you need to do is literally take any model and through skinning make it look like a re-forged model. That could be just taking the SD version and making it look like its HD counterpart or you can be more inventive/creative than that. Theres so many variations of models in HD your options are quite wide.

Also if it is what people voted for it's what people voted for. Personally I wouldve preferred alternate universe even tho I did also vote for re-classic.

Level 35
You can take any model and turn it into a different unit, you're taking very basic examples in the Footman and Captain but what about turning UD Arthas into Fallen King Arthas?
Exactly, I was just using one example for the sake of argument. This example of yours is basically why I prefer repurposing more. Turning one useful unit for another. ~Nightmare's skin, turning demon with goat head into lizardman as well.
Also if it is what people voted for it's what people voted for. Personally I wouldve preferred alternate universe even tho I did also vote for re-classic.
I have my opinion regardless of who voted for what. Voting is simple, just click, and everyone can vote, fewer are willing to elaborate like we do (at least we exchanged opinions), and even fewer are willing to participate as few of you do. It matters to you actually mostly, if you like some theme to participate or not, because you spend a lot of time making skin.
Alternate universe you say? Hmm... did not think much of it honestly but I found this interesting as well.

Level 32
Thats why I like more those re-claccis versions to be in the model section as they are extremely valuable regardless most of them have ,,useful/simple" tags. I think rules should be softened. But this is a contest, and perhaps this should be left out.
I will say however that contest entries are not immune nor favor in rating.

The name Re-Classic is too confusing. If you attempt to turn a unit into its HD counterparts, do you know what I normally call it? "Adaption" I'm done this with Coldheart Garithos to match Reforged version but still on the fantasy/alternative universe. Also giving the theme nature, you probably cannot be using custom model in this theme because most of footman creation using modified model. (looking at u archmage)

The more I look into the theme, the more I get confused.

Level 32
"Out of nowhere, we have Final Form coming back to tie as I reply." Interestingly, I like the concept of elite version of a unit. Of course, you still have to rely on the chosen model original theme but hey, our eyes are quite clever to know which one is extra fancy one.

Let's say you have a chicken model from og. You can turn that chicken into god chicken pair with wing blades. Hey, people bring chicken to war too, talons for victory as I would said. Am I seriously considering using critter model? Maybe, it's pretty unique to do so and chicken is 256 by default (so does rabbit)

Obvioously that just an example and you already have the magnificent Pigeon from me so no more chicken from Shido until like couple years later. :xxd: