• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #32 - Theme Discussion

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
We're thrilled to announce that our upcoming texturing contest is in the works, and we're eager to hear your suggestions!

We are currently seeking ideas for the contest theme, and we encourage you to unleash your creativity and think outside the box. No idea is too small or too big, and we welcome contributions from both experienced texturers and newcomers to help us create a challenging and rewarding contest that inspires our community to create exceptional art.

Please take this opportunity to share your ideas in this discussion thread. We will carefully review all suggestions before narrowing them down.

As always, your input and creativity mean a lot to us, as they will play a crucial role in shaping an engaging and thrilling contest for our community. We're excited to see what you come up with!

Here are some themes we've discussed for prior contests as food for thought:
  • Seasonal skins - Retexture wc3 in-game and custom models be it in a wintery theme, Halloween, easter, etc.
  • Post-apocalyptic - The world ended, which is not important, but the skin should reflect a character having to adapt to the end of the world as they knew it.
  • Alternate Universe to Warcraft Universe - Fel Thrall, Arthas as King of Lordaeron, Druid Illidan, and vice-versa, etc.
  • Monster Hunter - Create a texture that represents someone who hunts monsters.
  • Mirror Dimension - Create a horror creature that may take inspiration from H.P Lovecraft's Cthulhu dimension.
  • Terrain - Create a new ( or retexture an existing ) tileset. Doesn't have to be the whole but perhaps 4 tiles + a cliff tile.
  • Disease - Create a texture for any Warcraft unit with an infection spreading onto them.
  • Faerie/Woodlands - Something like treants, wisps, faerie dragons, and the like.
  • Dragons - Create, or recreate a dragon texture. Also includes draconic minions and spawns.
  • Final Form - Recreate a unit into its elite counterpart.

Level 34
Seasonal skins - Retexture wc3 in-game and custom models be it in a wintery theme, Halloween, easter, etc.
Halloween! That would be a definitively good contest as we lack those. Classical monsters would be perfect! The last one from few zears ago gave us a headless horseman, swamp creature, frankenstein and such...

Halloween! That would be a definitively good contest as we lack those. Classical monsters would be perfect! The last one from few zears ago gave us a headless horseman, swamp creature, frankenstein and such...
True but I think since the theme has been done before more original themes would be preferred. At least in my opinion.

Personally I would vote for the Alternate Universe theme, although that is not to say I will be able to participate.

Last edited:
Can I participate in this discussion?

I would like to provide suggestions from the perspective of maps makers. I think these Sknis are more easily used by maps makers:

Learn Johanwar. Create Re Classics Skins. You can hold a Re Classics Hero Skins competition or create Re Classics Skins for WC3 models without Re Classics. Like models like Kael and Priest. They do not have suitable substitutes. That is to say. If you manufacture Sknis for Ud Arthas. This Sknis must be the character Ud Arthas. And not other character.I don't know if I have expressed the meaning I want to express.

Here are the Skins that I believe fit this theme:

jgt.jpg

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Flowers wouldn't hurt am i rite?
Also, even for Warcraft standards, these looks pretty harmful:

Level 34
let's go to the beach.
Actually, that is a fantastic idea, just my opinion. Since it will start summer season worldwide having smiliar thematic would fit. Or something like a mysterious island theme, pirate or ...
the theme has been done before
Not properly, it is barely used. Show me witch on broom, show me invisible man, phantom of the opera... thats right, good old classic never dies and we have just a few of assets.
Personally I would vote for the Alternate Universe theme
That could work.
Mirror Dimension sounds fun.
This too.
I would like to provide suggestions from the perspective of maps makers.
That is an interesting approach.
i would like to see an elemental Owo but that ain't on the list
hmm... elementals!
What about floral theme? Warcraft by "nature" (lol) is pretty enviromental itself. Flowers wouldn't hurt am i rite?
Actually, that is the second idea of yours that can fit this season. That natural flora theme is underrated, it has potential.

Good ideas people! :cgrin:
Bring on, lets hear more.

Level 18
So i went to the chatgpt with frostwhisper comment as the subject and i got this:

Lost Civilization

This theme would involve retexturing units and models in a way that represents ancient and forgotten civilizations within the Warcraft universe. Participants could explore different cultures, architectural styles, and mythologies that have been lost to time. They could reimagine iconic Warcraft races or create entirely new civilizations.

This theme would allow texturers to unleash their creativity by designing unique textures that showcase intricate patterns, ancient artifacts, and weathered structures. Participants could delve into the lore of Warcraft and draw inspiration from real-world civilizations to create visually stunning and immersive designs.

By focusing on lost civilizations, the contest would encourage participants to think beyond the familiar races and explore the rich history of the Warcraft universe. It would provide an opportunity to showcase the diversity and complexity of different cultures, adding depth and intrigue to the game.

while lost civilization itself is interesting concept for warcraft universe, the term itself could be complicated to study at since most forgotten civilization in wow didnt have in game surviving item to support that claim, so the lost civilization could be changed to civilization that is from franchise other than Warcraft and probably from actual culture

Level 27
I don't know a thing about texturing, so I don't know how hard it may be, but I'll give a suggestion.

First, let's explain, I really the Infested from SC2, and the idea that there's a universe where everything goes wrong and everyone's infested and stuff. Secondly, I like cool mechanical units, preferably something not too sleek like the Protoss or Dwarven ones (not to hate ofc, but we have plenty already), but more old and industrial-like like the Yu-Gi-Oh Ancient Gear.

With that being said, let's merge them both into a "Metal Plague'". Make a bunch of infested Humans, Elves and Orcs, with metal plates merging into their skin, with cogs and gears protruding, some even forming extra limbs. Bigger units like the Mountain Giant or Tauren will be the "leaders", and has a more symmetrical design compared to their crude minions.

Level 18
I don't know a thing about texturing, so I don't know how hard it may be, but I'll give a suggestion.

First, let's explain, I really the Infested from SC2, and the idea that there's a universe where everything goes wrong and everyone's infested and stuff. Secondly, I like cool mechanical units, preferably something not too sleek like the Protoss or Dwarven ones (not to hate ofc, but we have plenty already), but more old and industrial-like like the Yu-Gi-Oh Ancient Gear.

With that being said, let's merge them both into a "Metal Plague'". Make a bunch of infested Humans, Elves and Orcs, with metal plates merging into their skin, with cogs and gears protruding, some even forming extra limbs. Bigger units like the Mountain Giant or Tauren will be the "leaders", and has a more symmetrical design compared to their crude minions.
sounds like giving human or orc cybernatic enhancement, more like a dystopian steampunk or cyberpunk