• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solu9's Sideshow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solu9’s Sideshow

Latest Upload

3D exams project

=======================================================================================================================================

Info

Warlock Workshop was my exams project for the first year on 3D College Denmark.
The project is a visualization of a warlock's work study. The study is set in a medieval fantasy environment with a hint of modernism.
The study is filled with all sorts of items a warlock needs, both for studying magic and for selling (a warlock gotta eat).
Lightning and materials was the main focus of the project.

Screenshots

Warlock Workshop progress 001.jpgWarlock Workshop progress 002.jpgWarlock_Workshop_objectPlacement.jpgWarlock_Wrokshop_001.jpgWarlock_Wrokshop_003.jpgWarlock_Wrokshop_004.jpg

Turntable

Personal Projects

Musket Robot

Double Barreled Blaster

Spire Den

Thorny Rose Rifle

Gray Alien

========================================================================

Info
Images

The Musket Robot was one of the first models I modeled after
being introduced to the variety of tools 3Ds Max has to offer.
The model is inspired by a concept by Jake Parker:
http://mrjakeparker.com/

musket_robot_049_C.jpg
musket_robot_049_D.jpg
musket_robot_049_E.jpg
musket_robot_049_F.jpg

Info
Images

The Double Barreled Blaster is designed by myself and primarily
on the run. Which is why you see some parts of it are very low
poly and some are rather high.
The pathing is also not the best. The blaster was made before the
realization of how important pathing is hit me. Live and learn.

Double_Barreled_Blaster_v2_A.jpg
Double_Barreled_Blaster_v2_B.jpg
Double_Barreled_Blaster_v2_C.jpg

Info
Images

The Spire Den is inspired by the very talented
OKU (K.I Kim)
http://www.artstation.com/artist/oku
This model is of newer origin and is obviously still
in the making. Only default 3Ds Max colors are shown
and the back of the building is not done yet.

Spire_Den_002.jpg

Info
Images

The Thorny Rose Rifle has a rather toony design hence the
lack of detail. I have tried to follow the concept of elgunto
on DeviantArt:
http://elgunto.deviantart.com/art/Big-Gun-270485921
This rifle will be the first model I will try to bake from high
poly to low poly.

Thorny_Rose_Rifle_001.jpg

Info
Images

This Gray Alien is made in Mudbox and 3Ds Max. Painted
and polished in Substance Painter.
The alien is used as a canon fodder enemy in a school
game project I am a part of.

Group Projects

Project Game

Project Robot

=======================================================================================================================================

Info

Project Game was the first major school project.
The two courses on our school (VFX and Game) had to do a project together. A group from each of the courses had to band and produce
a product in collaboration.
The VFX group had to create some kind of advertisement for a hypothetical game and the Game group had to make an actual scene
from the same game.
In our case we took elements from the games "Metro: Last Light" and "Fallout 3", or more specifically, the metro systems.
The name of the game is "Aftermath" and came quite naturally.
The VFX group created a trailer/intro for the game with high poly models, shaders, lighting compositing, story board, a homepage
and all that jazz.
And the Game group made the underground metro station with a tunnel entrance along with low poly props, textures, ingame sounds,
light, ambience, scripting, animations and so on.

The project lasted for two weeks.
While the game is not perfect, actually their are some major flaws, we are quite proud of what we have achieved.

Lastly I should note that I am one of the Game folks.

Please keep in mind that this is not an actual game.
There are no enemies to encounter nor are there any way to complete the scene.
This is only a showcase of what a part of a metro level could look like.

Gameplay and download

You can actually have a go at the final product if you like. Just click the download link below.
When downloaded you simply extract the files inside the .rar file and run the .exe file.

When playing the game you move around as in a standard FPS. W,a,s,d for movement and the mouse to look around.
The "F" key is to toggle the flashlight, the "R" key is to reload the gun and the "E" key is to interact with objects.

You can skip the intro by pressing "L".

If you want to quit the game you have to press Alt+F4 (sorry!).

Finally. When you open the .exe file a small menu window will appear.
To get the best experience choose the 1920x1080 resolution and the bottom most of the graphics settings.

Oh! If you decide to try it out see if you can find the one sodacan which actually have physics so when you
shoot it, it will be sent off flying!

Aftermath-001.jpgAftermath-002.jpgAftermath-003.jpgAftermath-004.jpgAftermath-005.jpgAftermath-006.jpgAftermath-007.jpgAftermath-008.jpgAftermath-009.jpg

Link to the homepage.
Aftermath homepage

Link to high res version of the intro:
Aftermath video

Download link:

Credits

VFX
Game

Daniel Valdemar Fredriksen
Mads Thøgersen
Mads Vestergaard Larsen
Michael J. Mortensen
Morten Bruno Hansen
Simon Langgaard Pedersen

Martin T. Buchwald
Rasmus Bagner Kristensen
Svend Kruse Rønslund
Tue Sander

Info

The Project Robot was a month long hard work.
Our assignment was to create a game level with a controllable robot. We should as well have pick-ups and there had to be something you as
the player could interact with (eg. destructible crates, elevators, power on/off or stuff like that).

Our group was blessed with a coder who know C# pretty well, so we decided to create a whole, playable, level instead of just showing the level.

The game is called Atheneum.

Gameplay and download

First and foremost. Right now you will need to have an X-box controller plugged to be able to play the game. Also you need (for some reason) to plugg it in before you start the game.

The Load Out Menu:
Firstly you choose, in the load out menu, what equipment you want your robot to use. For the time being only the weapons differs from one
another. You can pick between a Minigun, a Flamethrower, a Laser Rifle, and a Rocket Launcher. All of these weapons have 2 firing modes.

The different armor pieces are purely cosmetic, as for now, but allows you to visually customize your robot.

The last part of the load out menu is your utility items. There are two. A Repair Bay and a Sentry Turret.
The Repair Bay will heal you when you stay in range and the Sentry Turret will fire at incoming enemies.
You can choose one of each or load up 2 of the same type.

Controlling the robot:
-Move: Left controller stick.
-Aim: Right controller stick.
-Primary Fire: R2
-Secondary Fire: L2
-Utility 1: R1
-Utility 2: L1
-Main Menu: Select + Start

There are 3 types of pick-ups:
Ammo: stock up on ammo
Utility: restocks your utility items
Repair: repairs your robot

Objectives:
In all it's simplicity you need to close off the 4 doors in the map. You do so by hacking the four terminal located in each corner of the map.
Each terminal toggles 2 door, which means it will either open or close these doors depending of what they are at the moment.
Each terminal can only be hacked once, then you need to hack another to enable hacking the first again.

When you finally get all four doors closed a wave of mechanical spiders will spawn.
To get to the next level you have to clear all remaining enemies.

When this is done you have to do it all over again.
Level 4 is the final level, and once you have clear said level you are done.

Gameplay Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOt3Afba544&feature=youtu.be

Showreel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwrgjS6WCQ&feature=youtu.be

Download link:

Credits

Martin T. Buchwald
Rasmus Bagner Christensen
Svend Kruse Rønslund
Tue Sander
Thor Brigsted

Last edited:
Great work.

Update:
The thread has been updated with the group project "Project Robot".
A gameplay trailer, a showreel, and a downloadable version of the game (more like a demo really), and project info is available in the OP under Group Projects -> Project Robot.

I hope you enjoy.

Critique is welcome.

Edit:
The project is now also at the very top of the page. Under "Latest Upload".

I was thinking those mechs the space marines used or a goliath from starcraft, nice work though. Could we get a view of the topology pretty prese :D

I was just doodling around and ended with this concept. But yeah, I guess it's sorta similar to the Goliath :)

Here are a couple of the wireframe:
RS_wip_013.jpgRS_wip_014.jpg

Edit:
I should note that the model has not been optimized yet.

Last edited:
Somehow the colour selection doesnt seem to fit each other very well for me.

That is noted. I will need more info in order to improve it though.

In other news.
I am just about to finish my 3 week 3D exam.
I have designed, modelled, and textured a Warlock's Workshop.
The environment is inspired by this piece of art: Warlock Workshop

Here is the final, and resulting, turntable:

Wow, I remember the warlock workshop. Your render is very impressive! I absolutely love the way the book/runes turned out. I recognized the piece without having to even click the link, which is saying a lot considering the piece is so old. ;P

You seem to have come a long way. How does it feel looking back on your first works?

Also, that guardian looks great. The wrap turned out great. I wonder how it would look if the eyes were outset slightly. Do you plan on submitting it? :)

Thanks for the kind words :)

Ah well. Looking back is always fun and especially when you realize that you have improved. When you are in the midst of it you don't always see that you are moving forward.
Just as with map making and coding. I bet you can relate :)

As for the Temple Guardian. Thanks again.
Yeah why not upload it. However I only have basic animation knowledge, and that is within 3Ds Max. And as far as I know animations will disappear when imported to Milkshape which I use for converting .obj files to .mdx.
When I get to it, and read up on animation in Milkshape, I'll upload it. As it is right now it's nothing more than a piece of rock.

That's a good idea about the eyes, I'll fizzle with it some more :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
War3 model draft.

A Temple Guardian.
I have been experimenting with using ingame textures which I haven't really been into. Actually it's great fun.

View attachment 146963View attachment 146964View attachment 146965
Maaaan... Have you been reading my mind or something? I was just messing around with the idea of a tiki temple guardian or whatever...

I'll say that it's not how I would envision the thing. However, my vision is preternaturally clouded with visions of Trolls, so I can't say I'm un-biased. That being said, it's excellent! The wrapping is solid and he really gives off that "weighty" vibe that's missing from a lot of Golems. Funky eyes.

Give him a laser cannon.

Maaaan... Have you been reading my mind or something? I was just messing around with the idea of a tiki temple guardian or whatever...

I'll say that it's not how I would envision the thing. However, my vision is preternaturally clouded with visions of Trolls, so I can't say I'm un-biased. That being said, it's excellent! The wrapping is solid and he really gives off that "weighty" vibe that's missing from a lot of Golems. Funky eyes.

Give him a laser cannon.

I'm trying to read your mind, but it's very clouded just as your vision ;)

Thanks for the comment Kyrbi0! Glad you like it.
I'll think about the laser cannon and perhaps a jetpack.

Nice, are you working with PBR now ?
Also I suggest using https://sketchfab.com/ to upload your models with. The hive doesn't support it natively but you can link the thumbnail like that:

Yeah. I have been working with PBR for some time now but mainly for school projects.
Sketchfab is alright but I find it hard to get lightning and materials right. Normally I use Marmoset Toolbag (like the axe and the shield posted earlier) or just screenshot a UE4 scene.

I haven't tried painting in a sculpting program as of yet, mainly because I haven't really experimented with those (well my Grey Alien is made in Mudbox).
So I have made all my models in 3Ds Max and those with PBR materials has been made with Substance Painter mainly.
The bookshelves and floor/roof of my Warlock Workshop has a tileable texture made in Designer.

I would love to be better at sculpting (not so much for characters though) but I'm so used to Max that I cba right now. Hopefully I'll get to it. On that note. Zbrush is such a pain to get into with the controls and all.

A quick Orc Barrel Grenade.
The blades on top makes the barrel spin like an American football and attempts to rip open the target before exploding when the body of the barrel hits.

The launcher is simply a device called a Barrel Launcher.

screenshot013.pngscreenshot014.pngscreenshot015.png

Edit:
I'm not sure if this link works but in case it does it's the model in Marmorset viewer which works kinda the same way as the 3D model viewer we have on this site.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/orc-barrel-grenade
(Shift + left click to rotate the light around the model)

I should note that the normals are not perfect at all. I had to make the model quite fast, including the texture.

Edit 2:
It has come to my knowledge that the link doesn't work.

Last edited:
Gonna post some late WIPs of a Flowertree.

The artwork I'm inspired by is this stunningly beautiful and mystic flower by icecold555 at DeviantArt:
http://icecold555.deviantart.com/art/Plant-Concept-2-416093871

The model is not done yet. I still need to tweak and add here and there.
Also, I'm a complete tard at lightning composition.

screenshot024.pngscreenshot026.pngscreenshot027.pngscreenshot028.png

Last edited:
Gonna post some late WIPs of a Flowertree.

The artwork I'm inspired by is this stunningly beautiful and mystic flower by icecold555 at DeviantArt:
http://icecold555.deviantart.com/art/Plant-Concept-2-416093871

The model is not done yet. I still need to tweak and add here and there.
Also, I'm a complete tard at lightning composition.

View attachment 148100View attachment 148102View attachment 148103View attachment 148109

Really cool, (the plant of doom ^^).
I like the ideas you take upon lately.

You just need to spend more work on that base texture. It does need more love :p

Thanks for the comments :)

Ardenian said:
They look nice! They are not for Warcraft, are they ?
Sorry no. The plant is far too high detailed for Warcraft.
The girl I might be able to convert to Warcraft once it has been animated, but as of now she is also too detailed (mesh wise) to be implemented in a custom map (the texture needs to be included as well).

The face looks a little flat, but boy does everything else look good. Particularly like the steam-punk-y Megaman/Samus arm. : )

Haha yeah the nose got a good punch inwards :)
I don't think i'll redo it now though (I'm afraid to mess the face up).

Heinvers said:
Really cool, (the plant of doom ^^).
I like the ideas you take upon lately.

You just need to spend more work on that base texture. It does need more love :p

Yeah absolutely :) So here are some of the for-now finals on the texturing part. The assignment has brought me to rigging and skinning now.

Edit:
Changed the screen shots with some with more light.

screenshot042.pngscreenshot043.pngscreenshot044.pngscreenshot045.png

Level 21
Status
Not open for further replies.