• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animations messed up (Milkshape 3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Here is the story. I'm creating a robot from a game and I chose from the flying robots without legs, guess why - less trouble. So I set the few frames for Stand, the next frames for Walk where it only includes a rotating thing. The next frames after Stand and Walk for Spell - a movement of the robotic arms, then Morph Swim (frames 26th and up )and Morph Swim Alternate (oh yeah that's a submerging robot), where he gradually gets below the X axis. Then Death where his head falls and the pieces of the body do some motions. Even when I tried to see the frames from the beginning the result was: after 2nd frame - movement below the x axis, parts of his body separating (coming from the Death animation) and his arms doing the motion. Just a mess and not the first one. If I do smth more than Stand and Death like now with 41 frames this mess occurs. Could a milkshaper tell how to prevent this? I will have to start over with the frames again.. blah

Level 23
Yes, always use the 'zero joints' plugin before animating.

But what you are experiencing is, I believe, not a problem at all. It is, as I like to call it, the "Milkshape Bounce". Comment "Linear" in all your bones (assuming the use of Guesst's Exporter), and it will not manifest when you export.

Basically, Milkshape tries to infer a sort of bezier curve to your bones as they interpolate, which causes things to bounce around before and after moving long distances. One way to reduce its effect is to duplicate your first frame to the frame before it, and your last frame to the frame after it; ie, making the previous motion of the bone zero, so it will not infer a huge bounce.

Level 22
yeah, I had a movement of arms for a spell animation and movement below the X axis for morph swim and separating the parts that I did for a death anim. It moved with the arms detached and the head starting to detach too, coming from death anim. But it turned out even when looking messed up, there were no such things when seeing them from Magos editor. The anims weren't messed up and included the frames I have commented for each anim. Thx both, if I have any further probs of that kind I will post. I also realized you need like 30-40 frames for 1 animation for your animations not to be fast movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.