• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solu9's Sideshow

Status
Not open for further replies.
A work in progress environment I'm working on:

ScreenShot00003.png

Very cool. I particularly love how the violet of the shrooms contrast with the golds & greens of the rest of it.

Thanks man :) I like that part as well and a thing I had in mind from the start.
Originally I wanted the scene to only be lit up by mushrooms but the amount of them that had to be in the scene would look like a mess.

I've got an update on the scene:
202017-albums8901-picture108888.png

Hmmm does it work when tiled one after another or we will recognize patterns? As I'm noob with this I can't say by looking. If it works, then I must say the color and brick variation are kinda nice!

Ah questions! :D
It's always super hard to tell unless you tile it up and down from time to time.
Here are a couple of pictures. The tileable is tiled 2.5 times and the other is the texture in action :)
Tower_002.JPG Tower_001.JPG

So in this case I think the tiling is less noticeable even when you know it's tiling. Sure you can point it out but at first glance it goes.
Also when used on an actual model you will try to break up the big areas with minor things so the repeating textures gets hidden.

Level 11
Whaaaaaat. I just stumbled upon this thread but I need to say that this sideshow is gorgeous. You've really got an eye for detail and because of it your models look very appealing and deceptively simple. I looove the tower as well as the 'mushroom' scene a few pages back.

Whaaaaaat. I just stumbled upon this thread but I need to say that this sideshow is gorgeous. You've really got an eye for detail and because of it your models look very appealing and deceptively simple. I looove the tower as well as the 'mushroom' scene a few pages back.

Aw thanks dude. Much appreciated!

After you mentioned the "Mushroom" scene I realized that I never finished it. I didn't really know where the project was going so I think I lost interest.
However I just took it up again because I had some ideas on how to tackle the scene.

Here is a WIP. I have mostly played with composition and lightning to get the right mood. Most of the temple stones are new though.
Almost everything else (plants, foliage, tress) will change later.

ScreenShot00009.png

Cute, are you still studying or?
*final year project anticipation*

Thanks :) And nope, not anymore. Now I'm trying to beef up my port folio so I can get an apprenticeship. Super frustrating actually because right now I feel I can't do ANYTHING else but to work. Like going to the movies guilt trips me because I am not trying to improve.

Update on the scene.
ScreenShot00028.png

Not thinking about selling on the asset store or something?
Something like this scene would sell easily, for an appropriate price.

I have thought about it. Not regarding this scene in particular, but I'm not complete sure where to start and how much of a hassle it will be (I think that's the biggest factor tbh). Oh and then to figure out how it is taxed.
Where I live you can only earn so much before you have to start paying tax. Not saying that I will make a billion, but it's still something I have to incorporate somehow.
It's a good idea for sure though.

Level 17
The taxes would be most of the hassle, if you receive money regularly it would be viewed as regular income and you would most likely have to become self employed at the very least.
Selling isn't much of a hassle really, only have to consider how your assets would be used and modify them accordingly so things like economic use of uv space and polycount, non-overlapping uvs OR overlapping uvs with a second uv channel for lightmaps, artistic cohesion, basically anything that would be of use in making your assets as flexible as possible.
Good feedback results in better ratings, more exposure, more sales etc.

The taxes would be most of the hassle, if you receive money regularly it would be viewed as regular income and you would most likely have to become self employed at the very least.
Selling isn't much of a hassle really, only have to consider how your assets would be used and modify them accordingly so things like economic use of uv space and polycount, non-overlapping uvs OR overlapping uvs with a second uv channel for lightmaps, artistic cohesion, basically anything that would be of use in making your assets as flexible as possible.
Good feedback results in better ratings, more exposure, more sales etc.

Alright, so it's easy enough to set the whole thing up? Payment/account wise?
All the other stuff seem like what is normally needed for a game anyway so that should not be a problem. I'm "used" to that workflow.

I've actually just looked into the whole tax thing and apparently I can earn in the vicinity of 7.5k $ before this becomes a problem, and I'm sure I won't earn that. So no biggie it seems.

Level 17
Alright, so it's easy enough to set the whole thing up? Payment/account wise?
It's really just a matter of having a paypal account and filling out your personal information, which they will cross check with your paypal account so you have to make sure you have no typos anywhere.
Other than that most stores are really just register > dump a rar file there and some preview image > choose price = done.

On Unity you would have to go through the asset store tools in the engine itself.
Their upload server is also complete shit and you might get rejected a couple times for dumb reasons (and wait 2 weeks every time for approval) but the "getting paid" part is really just writing in your paypal email.
Unity is a lot of hassle but it is by far the best store as far as sales go so it is worth the effort.
Other good places are Cubebrush and CGTrader, as in the places where you do actually get sales and ALSO get paid with any kind of consistency.

It's really just a matter of having a paypal account and filling out your personal information, which they will cross check with your paypal account so you have to make sure you have no typos anywhere.
Other than that most stores are really just register > dump a rar file there and some preview image > choose price = done.[...]

Alright. The Unity store sounds horrible but I'm intrigued nonetheless. I think I will give it a shot. At least when I have something I think is worth selling.

On another note. I've updated my forest scene:
ScreenShot00036.png ScreenShot00037.png

Edit:
This lightning might be better. I dunno.
ScreenShot00038.png

Last edited:
Cool scene. If I was to complain about something, it would be that the apparent brick spots on the wall are a bit too frequent and evenly spaced. But I won't complain. The scene is indeed looking neat and pleasant to the eyes!

Thank you for the comment. You are right I should probably make more room between the bricks, and randomize their placement more.

Status
Not open for further replies.