1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Soft Escape 1.25

Submitted by Softmints
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Backstory (Unessential Reading):
This is an escape map which I made a long time ago while I was feeling sadistic, and I've recently updated and revised it. The premise of the game is to provide an escape map where the challenge is quite simple and understandable, but very difficult to accomplish! It's not a puzzle/thinking challenge at all, just hand-eye co-ordination.

It's a shared solo experience: each player progresses on their own with infinite lives, it's not a team game at all. However, you may watch how the people behind you are doing (which is amusing, quite often).

This map is hard. Hard like a brick of steel. As I say, this was initially designed to make people ragequit, and while it is quite successful at that, I realise that there are some people who are hardcore escapees, who really enjoyed it and made it through a lot of levels. So in respect to the hardcore dudes and dutchesses, I'm uploading this for anyone to play.

So what's new about Soft Escape, as opposed to the other 150 or so currently on the Hive? A fair bit, I'm pleased to say. Read on for more...

Features (Juicy Bits):
Right, as well as your regular moving obstacles, there are several terrain types to make life harder; as follows:
  • Abyss == Die
  • Hot Coals == Die, if you stop moving.
  • Poison == Die, but gradually.
  • Tracks == Moves you in their direction at a constant rate. Like a moving walkway or travellator.
  • White Ice == Regular ice, you slide and can turn around.
  • Dark Ice == Slide, but no turning around.
  • Soft Ice == Slide, but accelerating and deaccelerating based on which way you're facing and what slope you're on.
Some of the later levels have icy half-pipes and ski slopes and other cool stuff. There are bumpers like in pinball on the soft ice, so you bounce off them.

The other main feature is that this game is extremely difficult, and it takes a long time to complete the current 20 levels back to back. Expect to die hundreds of times if you want to win. There is a code provided at each savepoint (level) which can be used to return to that level within the first 30 seconds of a new game. Observer chat is strongly preferred for this, to avoid ruining new players' games.

Custom Music has been included: six tracks, one of which will play on any given level. There is also a new multiboard showing each player's level, deaths, and total deaths. Finally, I included a command (-sd red) which shows every point where a given player has died. There are also some other funny things to find...

Screenies!:
You were never going to see most of this stuff anyway...
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

Get carried by your friends! Download the new CO-OP RELEASE

The map is 100% mine, and it is protected (but you can get a rugged chassis including code for all the obstacles here). I have no credits to give, other than to Escape Editor in which I first began by escape editing career (a cool map!), and Magos' Model Editor which is a damn handy tool.

Only try this if you think you're hardcore with escapes. It's that difficult.

Keywords:
Soft, Softmints, Escape, Maze, Hard, Impossible, Sadist, Masochist, Suffering, Hate, Anger, Pain, Depression, Misery, Gloom, Suffering, Anguish, Agony
Contents

Soft Escape 1.25 (Map)

Reviews
02:36, 18th Sep 2009 ap0calypse: Approved / Reviewed (sorry for the very late response: I finished this map - meaning every level - in 3 days, but then I got my new PC and lost track of this map). This certainly is a good map, it is very hard,...
  1. 02:36, 18th Sep 2009
    ap0calypse: Approved / Reviewed

(sorry for the very late response: I finished this map - meaning every level - in 3 days, but then I got my new PC and lost track of this map).

This certainly is a good map, it is very hard, challenging and it features something that other escapes do not have: soft ice.
    The movement of creeps is sometimes really well done, the terrain is finally different from other escapes, luckily there are codes for the levels (since it's impossible to finish this in 1 run), though I would recommend a real save/load system (perhaps save the level, and how many times the player died, or how long he has been playing - at the end he can see how long he has been playing, or the insane amount of deaths).

At the end a random "skate-park" would be nice (something like 2 ramps with the soft ice, a lot of bumps, ...)
    The teleport might be annoying for other players, but well... it didn't annoy me anyway.

A good addition to escape-maps.

2. dragor-X

dragor-X

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im hardcore enough to try >:) Seems impossible LoL

3. Zack1996

Zack1996

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Insanely difficult but insanely awesome!
    I really recommend this to those who totally own escape maps!
    I only got to the first checkpoint 'cos I gave up after getting owned, what's gold for anyway?

4. Lobis

Lobis

Resources:
    Resources:
    I realy like this map. Now I am stuck on level 6 and that circle of baldes seems impossible, but I will keep trying!

5. Softmints

Softmints

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I updated with a bit more information to make it more cohesive for new players, including that gold is your deathcount (just a stat, no influence on gameplay). At the time of this comment, no-one (else!) is known to have beaten level 13 yet... it's a replay I'd like to see!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  6. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love this game, because you have finally succeeded in granting my wishes: new features.
    Yeah, some maps included slopes, some included obstacles, but you've actually done something with them and let them change the speed, or turn them into pinball bumpers!
    The terrain was (finally, after all those escapes) an improvement, only the ice was a bit dissapointing (I hate the edges...), but really: you need custom textures for that.

Tthe gameplay is... well... I'm still trying to figure that part out o_O
    I'll try to get to the soft ice and bumpers, after that I'll moderate it :) (if I didn't destroy my pc, or launched my BitDefenders "File Shredder" on the map by then).

Well, I expect this to be a good map... I'm still at level 4, but I'll get there... once :)
    You definitely made a good anti-mod protection by the way... this map is hard to review o_O

7. Sworddragon

Sworddragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    The maps good, Its somewhat enjoyable but some of the difficulty seems rather silly, like level 3 being harder then four and so forth. The thing about level three is that you introduce the tile at the END of the round, so it takes an additional 100 lives to do that level. A guy was never actually able to get past that level over a course of 2.5 hours.

As for the Bumpers, that level is COMPLETELY based off of luck. COMPLETELY. There is no skill involved, just simply dropping your guy down the edge and finding out where he lands. ONCE I got close, but that was because I rushed to the edge from the Blade of Doom..

Yet, I dislike the map. Why? It's based off of trial and error, you have to be EXACT with nearly EVERYTHING. Seriously. Being forced to cut corners or at least try to cut them? At least change the tile through editing so the corners don't show. This helps us tremendously.

8. Softmints

Softmints

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, that'd be level 4 (the one with soft ice at the end, the first time it's encountered). I realised this issue during earlier testing, and have decided to devote level 5 (one with the helicoptors) to introducing soft ice, and making a few puzzles with it, ending with the same puzzle as is currently in level 4. Level 4 will get something else instead (don't know what yet).

That's fair comment about the bumpers; no-one I tested with got to that level, so it was untested. I'll revise it to remove the luck factor. It is mathematically sound, but I guess it's too precise to be skill-based.

The diamond tile was also brought up, I'm going to make a request for a square version.

If you find any of the other levels to be too luck-based, please let me know and I'll make adjustments accordingly. Thanks for the review.

9. cooldud3

cooldud3

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Im on 11 currently, also adding blink was gay alot of people r abusing it

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  10. cooldud3

cooldud3

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Great game tons of fun, i give it 10/10 its is hilarious to watch noobs play and a few times i felt like smaking my head agaisnt a brick wall till i died. but as Sworddragon has said lvl 14 with bumpers is ridiculous but i figured it out then died when walking up the path (then i quit lol to tired of it) the trick is simple enuff go completly straight into the big one then ull bounce up path keep looking right thenturn up when ur 50% down the path for the second time the rest is self explanitory.

10/10 mint ur a mazing god please make more like this

Also jst some advice make lvl 9,10,11 way harder i can beat them all without dieing and thats not fun! And adding more spells for deaths (while i did 1-14 in 30 min my bud decided to suicide for 30 min and got like 1000+ deaths)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  11. DeaftMaster

DeaftMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    im stuck at lvl 10 -_-
    good map though

12. Kill3rbeast

Kill3rbeast

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Recession for "Soft Escape 1.00"

Hi Softmints,

this is the first good escape here on hive i have seen the last months! :thumbs_up:
    Your terrain is good, the enemy units are unclickable and your systems works really nice. I have found no bugs at all...
    Your gravity and sliding systems must be really hard to code... :eek:
    This map has awesome new ideas in it and many different paths (lava, poison etc.)
    It's also the hardest (possible) escape i have ever played! (and i played lots of escapes, believe me^^)
    The save codes are a very good idea to make this map possible. I think it's also unplayable in bnet. At this escape you have really no chance to win with delay!

You could maybe add a quest-log with tips, change-log, credits etc. and add a few camera commands (camera bound to hero, change angle...). What's with messages bound to the death counter? Think about a hall of fame on this hive page for those who reached levels above 10... I think you should also add a good loading screen (150 kbytes more map size don't annoy at all)

I played your escape 5 hours yesterday and reached level 15... :grin:. The last level really got me stuck, i don't have any idea how to come through that crater without die in that black terrain piece in middle o_O.

This map gets a !!10/10!! AWESOME :spell_breaker: +Rep :spell_breaker:

Greetings
    Kill3rbeast

(I'm interested... do you know my escapes? If not look at my signature)

13. zolga

zolga

Resources:
    Resources:
    wow you really worked you're butt for this
    and its worth it man
    but its too hard just too much
    but don't make it easier

+rep

14. tonyrydland

tonyrydland

Resources:
    Resources:
    Best Escape I have played, should try if your a hardcore escaper. It is a must! ;D

15. light bolt30

light bolt30

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very nice escape map. Always makes me rage :p

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  16. mouseman89

mouseman89

Resources:
    Resources:
    so where do we get the music from ?

17. Addamondes

Addamondes

Resources:
    Resources:
    I felt that the hardest level was the first. It could be a difficulty ramp but maybe i got used to playing mazes as i generally don't like mazes.

18. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ugh, we just played it... (Me and some folks from Ngo, you might remember^^ facto and darktempler)

It's indeed "disturbingly" hard. Especially with b.net ping. Managed to get pass level1... yeah and that's it.

Will have to go for it another time, with better ping.

Was entertaining anyhow, seeing your mates fail and fail again, lol @ the Trollface popping up over someone who has lost 100 lifes ;D...

Gj

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  19. Vehster

Vehster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Official Basic Review of V3H -

Terrain 6/10 - Better then a lot of mazes
    Concept & Idea 5/10 - It differ's a bit from other mazes.
    Triggers 2/10 - Corrupted so I had to rebuild the map to see the triggers.
    Object Data 7/10 - Good amount of different encounters and secret effects.
    Overall Map Data 6/10 - Nice placement and use of stuff.
    Estimated effort spent into this 6/10 -
    Playability & Improveable 9/10 - It is quite fun but I can't seem to get past the ice ramp at level 14.

Overall Mark - 41/70

Any questions about the review, just ask and I will answer.

Suggestions -
    Maybe a unprotected version for people who ask so they can learn how to make better maze maps.
    Maybe a custom editor in-game where you can make your own custom levels if you have a code.
    More encountered objects.
    More levels.
    Maybe a bit easier on level 4 and 12?
    Screenshots of different/more levels?
    Maybe a unique level where you have to climb similar to soft ice but instead a ability you must press to continue grabbing onto the ground so you don't slide down and maybe just a small jump so if the terrain is too high you can still keep going.