• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Signature Rules - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Cropped Signature

I thought it was a good idea at the time, but now I've decided that I don't really care how big a sig is. Some sigs just wont fit in 146 pixels, and you have to go to their profile to see the whole thing. Personally, I don't like the cropping of sigs anymore.

If you check here[/U] under "Thread Display Options" and "Visible Post Elements" you'll find the option "Show Signatures", so why not add an option to crop sigs or not, and if so, to use scrollbars and the maximum size?

Level 19
The 'not' cropping of signatures could screw up the browsers badly.

It could stretch the page in both horizontal and vertical way which should be prevented.
the vertical way would spread too much unessecary things, meanwhile horizontal, yeh, strechiing!

I think the way we have it now is good enough.

Level 27
The 'not' cropping of signatures could screw up the browsers badly.

It could stretch the page in both horizontal and vertical way which should be prevented.
the vertical way would spread too much unessecary things, meanwhile horizontal, yeh, strechiing!

I think the way we have it now is good enough.
In Mozilla, the cropping screws it up pretty bad, the sig is cropped within the post, but beyond the edge of the post, everything shows and makes it very difficult if not impossible to read the next post. I'm using SeaMonkey now, but I'd have preferred stretching to that bug.
Remove signatures completely.
That's your opinion, but I'm sure there are a couple* people who like signatures.

It's really Ralle's decision to make any changes, which is why I added a poll.
Some people didn't like how big the sigs were, so they were reduced to a scrolling box, then some people hated getting caught in big sigs when scrolling, so the scrolling was removed.
I prefer no cropping, but I'd be happy enough if I could at least scroll to see the whole thing.

*understatement

Level 32
It seems unlikely that any changes will be made to the signature limitations. The issue was discussed before and the present rules were developed based on value-added experience (the scroll bars, for example). Let's merge this thread in order to keep all the information in one place.

~ Threads merged. (Sorry Hakeem, we might loose the poll.)

It's necessary to limit signature file sizes to avoid so called "signature spam" both in horizontal and vertical dimensions. Doing so keeps the forums tidy while allowing any excess to be displayed in a user's profile, where everyone is free to add a great deal of signature content.

Ralle might be able to exactly that, but it seems unlikely. In my opinion, signature files should be displayed equally for each and every user.

In Mozilla, the cropping screws it up pretty bad, the sig is cropped within the post, but beyond the edge of the post, everything shows and makes it very difficult if not impossible to read the next post. I'm using SeaMonkey now, but I'd have preferred stretching to that bug.

Really? You on the latest firefox? Mine works just fine. It's on Safari on the school computers where the above bug happens, sometimes.

Is the image limit really necessary any more? I'd like to put in a few things, but just having one looks silly. Maybe just remove the image limit?

And the text limit is annoying for people like me who like to have everything in color :p

Level 7
This is a emssage to all you hive members here.

Now, I am not the first to think this, but I'm the first to voice on this.

Who think's the hive doesn't give enough space for your signatures? It barely lets you have anything, not even one full decent sized image.

My request is that the sig size increases by at least 50% what it is at this moment.

Its either a block of text or a single image, not one image and a line of text.

Please vote and comment.

Level 8
I can understand where you're coming fom, but personally I think the Hive is quite generous with their sig limit.
Although, this is from the perspective of someone who doesnt use a sig image. People who do would probably disagree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
Signature Rules - Preview details this subject.

Users' signature files that violate the site limits will simply be truncated. That's not ever going to change.

However, when viewing a user's public information page (profile) the signature's entire contents are visible, even if it gets circumcised on the boards.

[EDIT] This discussion should more properly place in our existing signature file rules thred. Please follow this link to contribute your input. Thanks.

~ Poll data transfered, posts moved, thread closed.

Level 15
I prefer there to be more space consumed by actual posts than by signatures. I've seen some forums where the signatures are 500+ pixels tall, and it's not pretty.

Lee

Lee

Level 2
I have to agree with Samuraid. Signatures without reasonable limits tend to make a page of posts a lot bigger than it needs to be. And from what I've seen on here, most people seem to be able get along just fine with the limits they have.

Level 36
I bring forth the 2007 case of AlotofGarbage Versus the Hive Workshop. During this period of time, the accused had a signature about half the length of this page. It was full of nonsensical shit, and it made very little sense. You had to scroll for ages, and since he spammed so much, there was an assload of scrolling involved.

The Signature Limit is fine the way it is, and I don't think it's possible for the website to automatically resize your image to fit within their bounds >.>

Level 34
God, I don't really mind these sizes, nor the no-sigsize-rules shit, but I do NOT like it when you have to goddamn scroll 1 minute down to read the next goddamn post, or have to scroll right to the goddamn User CP button..

I'm also active on a other forum (InfestationForums) and we had a dude there with a gigabig SC2 pic, we warned few times, he listened thank god.

People if you got a big sig, go to the Signature Thread and resize it there for a decent size, please.

Level 4
According to page 1 the image limint is 640x192.
I say 900kb is fine, if i make a large GIF for my sig it would easly extend over that. Soo the 900 would need to be there are sign of: sigs CAN be too big in just filesize.

But i got nice idea for a solution: Remove uploading of sigs and avatars!
Just add on a tourital for how to upload and use on that is uploaded on a free imageshare service like imagehacks. Worst problem solved.

Level 24
For the record, removing the uploading of avatars would make it hard as hell to easily identify who was talking (especially if you're scrolling through the page kind of fast), at least compared to how it is with avatars. For the record, you can not "upload" signatures; you create them. The closest thing would be uploading sig pics, and that is disabled. The only people that have them are the people that had them before their uploading was disabled. As far as I know, all the sig pics are still up.

Level 11
Crop without scroll bars.
I don't want to be scrolling down the page then stumble on someones massive sig.

Either that or make it an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.