• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Signature Rules - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
The Hive Workshop permits members to use custom signature files in their forum posts and private messages.
All user signatures must comply with these rules.
Signatures found to be in violation of these rules may be deleted by THW's, staff at any time, without warning.
  1. No signature file may violate any of THW's General or Specific site rules.
  2. Images may be no greater in size than 640x192 pixels or 976k (whichever is smaller).
  3. Text and most vBuelletin codes are allowed. The maximum character limit is 1500 (including code).
    • The VBulletin [SOUND][/SOUND] tag may not be used in signature files.
  4. No signature (including all elements) may exceed 8 lines of text.
Example of a signature:
Line1
Line2
Line3
Line4
Line5
Line6
Line7
Line8
Users are encouraged to keep their signature files classy, useful, and discrete.

Signatures reported to moderators as being "too spammy" will be deleted.

Repeat offenders will be punished.

This document is subject to future revision and/or amendment.

Last edited:
Level 32
The guidelines posted above are the new "standard" for signature files here at The Hive Workshop. While they may be subject to some future changes, any drastic modification is unlikely.

User settings should now be properly configured so that everyone has proper permission to update their files to meet these requirements. The Chieftain may make adjustments if necessary.

In most respect these rules are far more liberal than were our old ones. Images may be larger and more text is allowed.

Of course, linked images are still permitted. Such images must adhere to the above guidelines. I recommend that signature images NOT be linked however: if the hosting site fails, so will any linked images.

In order to make the boards as reader friendly as possible, I’d like to ask everyone not to “push the limit of the envelope” in regards to their user signature files. I’m personally not a big fan of signatures that are essentially just gigantic billboards and link to nothing, provide no useful information, or help other users.

Signatures are not required in order for a user to successfully make a decent post. For my own part, I usually find it a little distracting to have to scroll past them if they are large, and especially if they are present several times in the same thread. It’s important to remember that it possible (and in fact desirable) NOT to attach them to each and every post: simply look for the check box in the vBuelletin editor and set that particular option.

Here we have an example of a signature that clearly illustrates the problem: such files will no longer be permissible:

sig.jpg

A monstrous contraption like THAT might break page layouts (especially in smaller screen resolutions) and the post itself includes only one line of content and then awholelotofmessysignaturespam.

I think that it’s prudent to give everyone some time to get adjusted to the new guidelines and to update their files. I don’t foresee any strict enforcement within the next week or so: that will give us all time to adjust and work things out.

Everyone should, in my opinion, be as artistic, creative and original as possible in the creation of their signature files.

Please be considerate of other users when using them.

Please keep this discussion civil and closely on-topic.

Thanks.

Level 18
Umm, why 640x192? That seems to be a rather random size... Also, 976kb in size is extremely lenient, how about a 500kb limit?

Oh, and can't it be 9-10 lines? I'm selfish and I want my signature to fit ;(. Or atleast the pretty image ;P.

-*meow*

Level 36
No, only ONE image! If you had two images that size the page would be far too stretched.

And sharing your religious beliefs is not against the rules! Those are just facts, not like opinions or anything.... your a catholic, great, your a jew, wonderful, it doesn't matter at all, so go ahead and put it in.

Level 32
[off-topic]

Try this Kiun, it should work:

Upload an image to ImageShack, Photobucket or any other public web server, then use the vBulletin [IMG][/IMG] tags to call the image to one's signature file.

sigpic132148_1.gif

If you use Internet Explorer, be sure to clear your browser cache after updating your signature file.

Last edited:
Level 5
no i mean it wont let me as in it sez
Can Upload Images for Signature No in my permissions..
i havnt dun anything wrong and i used to be able to but when i actually decided that id put one in it got disabled...

Level 32
[off-topic]

i havnt dun anything wrong and i used to be able to but when i actually decided that id put one in it got disabled...
OK, I'll try to fix it for you, if I can't I'm sure that Ralle can!

*edit* You're good to go, Kiun!

Last edited:
Level 10
Why only 8 lines?

Why are there only 8 lines allowed when filling in a signature?

I find it annoying cause, My sig has to be actually like 6 lines, because i wrap code tags around it, and doing so in edit mode makes it more than 8 lines, but the actual sig is not 8 lines.

So ya..

Why is it 8 lines anyway? To stop massive sigs?

Level 32
Why are there only 8 lines allowed when filling in a signature?

I find it annoying cause, My sig has to be actually like 6 lines, because i wrap code tags around it, and doing so in edit mode makes it more than 8 lines, but the actual sig is not 8 lines.

So ya..

Why is it 8 lines anyway? To stop massive sigs?
YOUR signature sure looks fine. Simply add the tags manually (using the keyboard) instead of the vBuelletin tag tool: that should save you those two lines.

I am soon going to start collecting some of the spammier sigs and post them in this thread. Users will be soon be encouraged to edit their signatures so that they meet the current guidelines.

~ Thread merged.

Level 24

this has happened to me as well. i would like to upload an animated userbar and take my waffle and factorizer out, but it says i don't have permission to upload a signature pic. i've never uploaded anything particularly offensive or stupid, or even much at all. i can think of the 4chan /b/ "Internet Superheroes" motivator, my desktop, the animated sasuke (which wasn't up when i noticed i couldn't upload sig pic), the screen of MMZ (again, up after no uploading of sig pic). i might be missing something big, but none of them were particularly offensive, with the possibly offensive one being more of a parody on the offensive material. this may be something that needs to be addressed, or a repeat of an isolated glitch.

Level 32
Signature Files

Here are current examples of signature files that fall on the border line of acceptability/unacceptability:

Barely Acceptable:

I think I could spend my life responding only in cat format, using only this.

Barely Unacceptable:

sigpic129076_1.gif

¡rawr i am teh Ephy Flamer!™ click my waffle!

P.S: Could anybody make my waffle a click counter?

Oh yes... there will be blood
AASaw-1.jpg

Current Project: SuPa-'s Skinning Tutorial(Progress postponed until after texturing competition)

Clearly Unacceptable:

Working with right now:RPG
Working name:Faith RPG
Percent Completed(of 100%): ||||||||||:
Reason: Havent got time, a bit lazy=),
sigpic133933_3.gif

this is a nice litle pic collection: http://www.imagehoop.com/view_image/d54391658/Clipboard02.jpg

i's have dots....i hate i's.....they are NOT welcome in the english language.

How can somthing so delicous...be so evil?

[broke=I would suggest to barf it out befor it devours your insides.] Click if you ate a evil muffin[/broke]

sigpic135434_1.gif

ledzeppelinzs2.jpg

My Random Thoughts:

If ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power then does being powerful mean being unhappy?

Peer pressure builds character.

Violence never solves anything...except overpopulation.

bleachedsignaturexa6.jpg

Progress:
Terraining - 50%
Triggers - 70%
Heroes - 20%?
Items - 0%

Back in Business :)

Over the next couple of days I will begin to send PMs to users whose signature files violate the current guidelines: I'll ask for their cooperation in correcting the situation.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Level 8
Ah, sorry Wolverabid, will fix it immediatly.

EDIT: I think this is acceptable, no?

[edit] Thanks Rath, looks GR8!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Can't you just cut a chunk of the image on the right off, Shados?

Level 32
get rid of "oh yes there will be blood" and its the smae as shados's size wise i think. shame about lorothrigs's signature, i liked that one.
Agreed on both counts:
  • Yep, that will do it friend SuPa-: one line less please.
  • One of my favorite pics of (my VERY FAVORITE band) it's just too large of an image and too much text.

I am kind of hoping that users will begin to edit their sigs themselves so that I don't have to send out any PMs!

[edit] Thanks Teh_Ephy!

Last edited:
Level 24
sorry about not checking this (and as such not changing my sig) for a while. anyways, it's only the waffle now. if i could upload a sigpic, it would just be an animated 350x19 userbar and the Ephy Flamer™ things.

Edit: you're very welcome. I WOULD like my animated userbar, though.

Last edited:
Level 21
lol i cant belive there is a tag for dota hater.

just as a note you cant read the colour. and i dunno if Wolverabid or anyone agreed but you see how shados's was border line? compair it to that. take his as the max. if yours is any bigger its no good.

Level 12
Ok, just read this thread/the sig rules.

Could you please advise me on which parts of my sigs are in the wrong.
(I replied to your pm, then noticed this thread wolver :p).

Im assuming its to big (height wise).

thx

Level 32
Is mine okay?
Aye: no problems there: it's even smaller than MINE!

Ok, just read this thread/the sig rules.

Could you please advise me on which parts of my sigs are in the wrong.
(I replied to your pm, then noticed this thread wolver :p).

Im assuming its to big (height wise).

thx
It's the image, friend Fulla.

211 pixels in height is just too much, plus you include some text as well. You should resize the image so that the total signature (including text) does not exceed eight lines.

Take a look at Shados' signature in this thread: that's the absolute max.

Thanks.

What about YouTube tags on signature?
A LINK would be fine but applying the tags so that the video itself is displayed would (obviously) exceed eight lines of text.

Aye: no problems there: it's even smaller than MINE!

But now I can't edit it, because it says I must only have 1 img.

Maybe instead of having to tell people to fix their sigs, you could just do what wc3c does. They just cut it off. So if you have anything longer, it gets snipped off unless you look at that person's profile.

That way, people would see that their sig is too long and fix it themselves.

Level 32
But now I can't edit it, because it says I must only have 1 img.

Maybe instead of having to tell people to fix their sigs, you could just do what wc3c does. They just cut it off. So if you have anything longer, it gets snipped off unless you look at that person's profile.

That way, people would see that their sig is too long and fix it themselves.

Right: everyone can have only one image uploaded to the site and (I BELIEVE that) Ralle has disabled further sig image uploads, hence all new signature images must be hosted elsewhere.

As to contacting users, well, since the signature rules have been revised I have been going out of my way to try to coach users along until everyone is familiar with the new guidelines. After another week or so, I'll simply edit unacceptable signature files myself:

Signatures found to be in violation of these rules may be deleted by THW's staff at any time, without warning.

Level 24
lol i've seen plenty of edits on other sites where large signatures have been changed to a maximum-appropriate-sized box, with random patterns, reading "This signature was too big. The maximum allowed size is <maximum allowed width>x<maximum allowed height>. Basically, the size of this box"
very entertaining if it happens a lot.

Level 32
Reputation Awards & Penalties

1. I will now begin to add to the reputation levels of all users who include some variant of the following link in their signature files:

• Vote [URL="http://www.gamesites200.com/warcraft/in.php?id=25"]Vote[/URL]
    • To recieve the rep simply add the link to your signature file and post it in this thread. I will watch carefully and add reputation to users who MAINTAIN the link in their sigs.
    • Give me two weeks to see who's interested in promoting our voting link. If I don't rep you by 15 June, send me a PM!

[EDIT] Ths offer has expired.

2. Users whose signature files do not adhere to the rules should expect that such files will be deleted: their reputation will suffer.

Last edited:
Level 24
i tell people online about THW all the time (and of course, the people i actually bother to tell usually know about it anyways, damn them), so i see no reason that i shouldn't have a vote for THW link in my sig. it will be easier to find instead of hunting down Wolver's posts

Level 24
I will do anythign for rep....

FREE REP???That's a key word for me as you all know!!!:infl_thumbs_up:

wow, at least have a reason other than "0mgx0rx 1 c4n g3t fr33 r3p 6uyz!!" to get the free rep.

i tell mapmaking friends on BNet about THW in case they need help, sometimes just because, and i definitely don't go around asking for rep. if the opportunity presents itself to get easy rep of course i'll take it, but not in such an obtrusive manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.