• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Screenshots

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
I like all this pictures. Great!

I wish you all virtues of a good programmer (endurance + 3)
to bring this rpg forward !
(...and maybe you come sometimes near to a demo...)

Level 19
Really great terrain. I wonder how you can make the terrain fully playable without any camera clashes :p

Transparant tree's. And well for the walls etc. Not really sure how we're going to fix that. We will deffo come with a good solution because we know a few solutions or well.. options. But we just gotta make some decisions.
Everything will eventually be fine:D

Level 25
You could: code a dynamic camera system, then you could check if a point which is located from unit - *camera distance* in *negative camera angle* and check if the Z of that location is bigger than some value, if it is rotate the camera?

At least for terrain that would work(example if Z of the location which we calculated earlier is 4-5 times bigger than Z of your unit's location).

Ask .Rain he may know what i am talking about a bit better.

EDIT:

I suggest you to get some custom tileset textures for brick/stone floors.

Level 19
You could: code a dynamic camera system, then you could check if a point which is located from unit - *camera distance* in *negative camera angle* and check if the Z of that location is bigger than some value, if it is rotate the camera?

At least for terrain that would work(example if Z of the location which we calculated earlier is 4-5 times bigger than Z of your unit's location).

Ask .Rain he may know what i am talking about a bit better.

EDIT:

I suggest you to get some custom tileset textures for brick/stone floors.

Yeah well. We already spoke about it a while ago, RaiN was maybe going to make a camera system that checks if anything blocks the view and automatically zooms until it doesnt block anymore. We also had the option to get 2 different camera types and let players chose between them. Or maybe we could do both ><.

About the tileset textures. Yeah maybe, but it isn't really bothering me now. And most of the custom tiles don't really fit wc3 that much.

EDIT: And the Z value thing you're talking about is about the height of the terrain. But most of the sight blocking things are doodads:)

Level 25
Adding some dead pathing/sight blockers on those "big" doodadds can be used to simulate stuff in code.

Since you can only pick destructables/units in groups, you could check if there are some dead path/sight blockers near the camera point which automaticaly mean big baddass doodadds and shift the camera.

Level 8
Right now most of out camera problems have to do with trees which we finaly found someone to edit and add a transparent animation for them. So right now we have a tree fading system which allows for good view. I havent got my camera blocked by walls or smt like that in none of all the tests i've did so I wont bother with that for now.

Level 3
i finaly finded the kind of terrain you are using but something is strange:how can units walk on the imported tiles????I tried but nothing.

Level 19
i finaly finded the kind of terrain you are using but something is strange:how can units walk on the imported tiles????I tried but nothing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• adasdaea.jpg
    adasdaea.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 391
Level 1
And this is why Warcraft III is amazing. A map creator, not affiliated with Blizzard, can make a game that looks just like a standalone rpg by a AAA game developer from 9 or 10 years ago*... which was only a few years before WC3 was released. These terrains are stunning and the large variety/scale truly makes this look like a full-fledged rpg. We'll have to see about gameplay, but so far it looks great. Keep up the good work.

*This raises the question of why anyone would want to play this or any other wc3 rpg custom when there are so many modern rpgs with... infinitely better graphics. I can't really answer that except by simply stating that, for whatever reason, I am really looking forward to this map and have anjoined (wow, spelling fail, caught this as I was about to post it "ENJOYED") maps like this that have come before it. Keep up the impressive work.

Level 19
*This raises the question of why anyone would want to play this or any other wc3 rpg custom when there are so many modern rpgs with... infinitely better graphics. I can't really answer that except by simply stating that, for whatever reason, I am really looking forward to this map and have anjoined (wow, spelling fail, caught this as I was about to post it "ENJOYED") maps like this that have come before it. Keep up the impressive work.

There most likely won't be many people that feel like playing a Wc3 RPG. I am one of those myself actually. It is just too great to be able to unleash the fantasies in your head to actually remake World of Warcraft***. I'm trying to say. I played rpg's like WoW, Warhammer and Aion and got inspired by those. Why not make my own rpg, its fun to make it its like writing a book or painting a picture. Making your own fantasy game is great. Part 2 is to actually let people play it, but for me part 1, making the game, is cool enough already to just give it a try:).
For now this project is unfortunately paused until we find a new coder. I will be very busy with college next year but I really want to finish oakwood since it costed me so much time that it has to get finished, and i still love to work on it. But for now I can't do anything withoud a good scripter.:(

Level 7
Well you could finish the terrain ^^
But that would certainly be a waste of time if you doesn't find a coder, which i really hope you do :)

Level 19
I'd really love to see how this Terrain would affect the gameplay:)
Keep up with the good work!

Here's a +Rep for your really attractive terrains:)

Level 2
Awesome work! I Really like how you have created a vivid terrain without constantly spamming custom models and skins and instead, used your imagination and creativity to think up some outstanding ideas for the terrain! :infl_thumbs_up:

Definitely something to look forward to :) :thumbs_up:

(Put me on the mailing list when its ready if that isn't too much of a hassle :D) :grin:

+Rep!

Level 19
Thanks guys.
I wish I could say there's still progress but unfortunately I still haven't found a scripter so for 2 months already nothing has happened to Oakwood.

Level 5
I quite like the terrain, perhaps a bit too much shrubs at certain places, but still looks quite nice.
I really like how all the different areas work so smoothly together, like the undead and forest areas.

Great map, looking forward to it! ;)

Btw, I assume you're using NewGen WE?

Level 17
Found these very random shots from when Teun and I were playing. Enjoy!

Attachments

• dying.jpg
    dying.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,757
  • muricaaa.jpg
    muricaaa.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,733
  • dead.jpg
    dead.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,727
  • sxc elf city.jpg
    sxc elf city.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2,712
  • thecouncil.jpg
    thecouncil.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2,735
Level 19
Your terrain is goof enough but In my own opinion , using low quality models are not good for that rpg . Instead of using those doodads, why you don't use some hq models ? like b2m models . B2m doodads are so good for rpg style map , it may look adventurous .

it's not an rpg. It's an orpg.
This means that there's a limit to map size because it has to be played online. :)