• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contribute to Oakwood with spell ideas

Level 19
Recently a lot of people have asked me if they could join the Oakwood Forest project. Unfortunately I still have to disappoint those people because I think it's better to keep the team small to avoid confusion and problems but there is a way you could help the Oakwood Forest if you'd like.
As you might know Oakwood will get 24 classes in the end. Every class will have 11 spells and 20 talents. Currently we're at a stage that makes it pretty hard to think of original spells because we prefer not to repeat spells multiple times. That's why I would like to ask people that feel like they have good ideas and want to help out to post their thoughts in here and make up cool spells for your favorite class or role. Because not all class names have been released yet you can come up with classes yourself just to give me an idea of what kind of class your spell is made for. I'm not asking you to trigger the spell but I'm asking you to only write it down if you like. The best spells might be used in Oakwood Forest.

A few notes:
1. Oakwood doesn't use passive abilities. Those passives will become talents, and we first want to finish normal spells before we make talents. If you have a certain passive in mind just make it as a buff with a duration.
2. All the Oakwood spells only have 1 level. So damage/heal values should be in the form of Level * X or Attribute * X.
3. I'm not asking you to think of super complex spells with a lot of shiny effects and firebombs etc when the actual effect is that it's just another AoE damage spell. I'm actually asking for creative idea's and I mean with a creative effect/result.

Here are 4 examples of spell ideas I had. They aren't made for Oakwood yet and maybe won't even be made. They're just part of a list of spell ideas I wrote down.

Good luck to those that want to contribute to the Oakwood Idea factory;-)

Hemorstrike
btnhemorstrike.jpg

Class: Worgmaster
Cooldown: 40.00
Range: Melee Range
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 35 energy
Description: The Worgmaster strikes it's target; dealing Str*1.2 damage and causing the target to bleed for Str*0.9 damage per second for 2 seconds. Moving will reset the bleed duration.
Voodoo Puppet
btnhexingdoll.jpg

Class: Witch Doctor
Cooldown: 45.00
Range: 800
Cost: 25 energy and 40 mojo
Description: Summons a Voodoo Puppet linked to the target. The Voodoo Puppet will last for 6 seconds and any damage or healing taken by the puppet will be transferred to the target. The Voodoo Puppet has no armor and receives 40% more healing. Voodoo Puppets are able to get attacked and healed by any player.
Soul Grip
btnsoulgrip.jpg

Class: Zealot
Cooldown: 25.00
Range: 800
Cost: 35 energy
Description: The Zealot places a debuff on the target. Every time the target casts a spell he will take Int*2.0 damage and get stunned for 2 seconds. 1 Charge. Lasts 5 seconds.
Flames of Justice
btnflamesofjustice.jpg

Class: Redeemer
Cooldown: 60.00
Range: -
Cost: 40 energy and 100% Righteous Fury
Description: Causes the Redeemer to burn with the Flames of Justice for 6 seconds; increasing his damage done by 45% while 25% of all damage done will hurt the Redeemer as well as fire damage. While Flames of Justice lasts the Redeemer will be immune for frost and water damage.

Last edited:
Level 17
Pouncing Strike
Cooldown: xx.00
Range: Short Range
Cost: xx energy
Description: The Worgmaster takes on the aspect of the wolf as he pursues his target and pounces; dealing strength*x.x damage and stunning the target for x seconds.
Savagery
Cost: xx energy (xx worg energy)
Description: The Worgmaster bites his target; dealing strength*x.x damage. If a worg is in play and in melee range, it will also bite the target for strength*x.x damage (% less than the Worgmaster's bite) with a chance of ignoring xx% armor.
Decapitate
Class: Berserker
Cast Time: 1 second
Cost: xxx rage
Description: The Berserker attempts to decapitate a target if it is below xx% health by exhausting his rage into one dangerous blow that will either kill the target or deal strength*x.x + agility*x.x damage. After the attempt, the Berserker will not be able to attack for x seconds.
Short Temper
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Description: The Berserker enters a furious rage for x seconds, increasing how much rage he receives per strike by x, however increasing the effects of his rage. He is eventually so consumed by rage that he blindly strikes at targets, reducing his successful strike chance by xx%.

Level 19
Wow, good job m8. Those skills look pretty cool and pretty original.
The Worgmaster already has some sort of a Leap/Charge so Pounce can't be used because we basically had that already. Savagery is nice, but we already got 2 spells that look a lot like it. I really liked the Decapitate idea though and it might be cool to add that to Oakwood. Unfortunately the Berserker's skills are 100% done already but it might be a good skill for the Swordmaster as well because he uses a similar system as the Berserker. Short Temper is also a great idea but the Berserker already has a spell to boost his rage so it cannot be used but this idea will also stick around in my head for a while.
Who knows... If we add active talents (instead of passive) in addition to the passives, we could use those spells for Berserker.

Good job m8, great help:D

Level 17
Vision of Doom
Range: xxx range
Cast Time: Channeled
Description: The Zealot haunts a target with a demented vision of doom; dealing intelligence*x.x damage and building xx unholy power for x seconds.
Essence Prison
Cost: xx energy + xx health
Description: The Zealot drains a small portion of his own essence to bind a targets feet for x seconds; dealing intelligence*x.x damage releasing waves of the targets essence all around it, healing all targets for intelligence*x.x hitpoints. This ability generates unholy power.
Death Bolt
Description: The Zealot launches a ball of living death at a target that begins to fester and feed off of the target; dealing intelligence*x.x damage to the target per second for x seconds and reducing all magical resistance by xx%. This ability generates unholy power.
Will work on healing spells soon.

Level 17
Shamanic Wrath
Class: Shaman
Cost: xxx energy + xxx air or earth power
Description: The Shaman unleashes a torrent of elemental power at the target; dealing intelligence*x.x lightning damage or intelligence*x.x earth damage (depending on which element is at 100%). The balance then shifts dramatically, increasing the power of the opposing element to 100% for xx seconds before becoming balanced again.
United Strength
Class: Summoner
Description: The Summoner distributes his sturdiness to his allies, dividing it by xx% (depending on the amount of party members) and increasing their spell power and physical damage by xx. However, this means that the Summoner cannot gain any more sturdiness beyond the amount after he casts this.
Atone For Your Crimes, Fiend!
Class: Redeemer
Range: xx range
Description: The Redeemer enters an inquisitive stance, glaring at his opponent with sheer righteousness. For x seconds, being struck will also increase righteous fury by xx and increase the damage dealt by unleashing abilities.

Level 10
4-24-10
Added a few more spells to Rune Master and Shaman

I think you should give a general role for each class. I've been reading the classes and their spells, but they don't give a very good distinction of what their role is. Tank, DPs, Healer, Tank/DPs, DPs/Healer, Off-Tank etc...

Choking Gas Arrow
Class: Ranger
Cooldown: 55
Range: (-300 of attack range)
Type: Trap
AOE: 350
Duration: 8 Seconds
Cast Time: 0.75 Cast Time
DPs: Level*8 + Agi*1.0
Slow: 10% MS
Description: The Ranger attaches a vial filled with lethal poison to the arrow, limiting its range. Upon impact the vial explodes, sending out a poison cloud slowing moment and dealing damage to enemy units.
Flash Power
Cooldown: 42
Range: (+150 of attack range)
Duration: 3 + Level*0.5 Seconds
Cast Time: 0.33 Cast Time
AOE: 175
Chance to Miss: 5% + Level*0.25
Description: You ready to throw a small pouch filled with powder. Spraying white dust that bursts into a bright light blinding foes.
Aspect of the Bird
Cooldown: 3 (Shares General Cooldown with all Aspects)
Range: Self
Type: Aspect
Duration: Until Canceled
Attack Power: Level*4.25
Description: You gain Aspect of the Bird, increasing your attack power.
Multi-Shot
Cooldown: 11
Range: Attack Range
# Hit: 3 (Upgradeable by Talents (+1/2)
Cast Time: 0.75
Damage: Main DPs + Agi*1.9
Description: Pulling out multiply arrows from your quiver, you take aim at your foes dealing extra damage.

Hammer Forge
Class: Rune Warrior
Cooldown: 60 Seconds
Duration: 60 Seconds
Range: Self Cast
Cost: 4 Ancient Runes
Attack Power Increase: Str*0.9 + Agi*0.3
Description: As a master craftsman of the Dwarves, you draw ancient, powerfull runes into your silver hammer. Increasing your attack power.
Silver Hammer
Cooldown: 17 Seconds
Duration: 5 Seconds
Range: 500
AOE: 325
Cast Time: 0.25
Cost: 3 Ancient Runes
Initial Damage: Str*1.5
DPs: Level*1.25 + Int*1.2
Description: Enchanting a blessed silver hammer, you throw it at an enemy foe. Upon impact the silver hammer shatters into molten silver, burning your enemies.
Rune Armor
Cooldown: 50 Seconds
Duration: 8.5 Seconds
AOE: 625
Cast Time: 0.5
Armor Bonus: Level*2.5
Description: Releasing a tri-shape rune on your body. The rune glows, fortifying your defense and your allies around you.
Healing Rune
Cooldown: 15 Seconds
Range: 750
Duration: 12 Seconds
Cast Time: 0.75
Healing: Str*1.1 + Int*1.4 (Per 2 seconds)
Description: A 3 prong shape glows softly blue as it channels its healing powers down your arm. Casts a rejuvenating aura around a friendly unit healing them over time.

Greater Healing Wave
Cooldown: 7 Seconds
Range: 625
Cast Time: 2.2 Seconds
Heals: Int*1.6 + Level*1.1
Cost: xx Earth Power
Description: As one who serves life, must use the life force given to them to heal wounds. A emerald glow emits from your hands as a green light shoots from your hand jumping from one ally to the next.
Thunderclap
Cooldown: 33 Seconds
Range: 750
Cast Time: 4.5 Seconds
Damage: Int*1.9 + Level*1.8
Stun: Level*0.05 + 1
AOE: 400
Cost: xx Air Power
Description: You close your eyes feeling the wind around you. Concentrating it into a massive tornado, you condense it above your enemies dragging them in. Opening your eyes, the once large vortex has condensed into a small globe. Speaking in your ancient language, the globe explodes pushing enemies away. Deals damage on per 0.5 seconds of cast time. Stuns enemy units and pushes them away (AOE).

Rupture
Cooldown: 3 Seconds
Cast Time: Instant Cast
DPs: (Initial Damge: Level*5 + Str1.3)(DPs: Agi*1.3)
Duration: 14 Seconds
Cost: 25 Rage
Description: You cut deeply into the enemy's body, leaving a bloody jagged rip in their chest as they slowly bleed to death.
Berserker's Rage
Cooldown: 60 Seconds
Duration: 10 Seconds
Health Cost: Str*1.5 (Cannot be used to kill yourself)
Attack Power Increase: Level*1.2 + Str*1.3
Attack Speed Increase: 25%
Description: A red haze envelopes your vision as you lose control over your body. Increases attack power, attack speed at the cost of health.
Flurry
Cooldown: 25 Seconds
Duration: 3 Seconds
Rage Cost: 40
Attack Speed Increase: 200%
Description: The sounds of battle makes your heart race, increasing your attack speed for a short amount of time.
Edit:
Cleave
Cooldown: 8 Seconds
Range: Target Melee Range
Rage Cost: 30
Damage Bonus: Str*1.2 + Regular Attack
Hit Count: Level*0.1 (Minimum 2)
Description: You swing your axe at all nearby foes, cleaving those in front of you. Deals bonus damage to your normal damage and damages enemy units in front of you.

Rage:
Berserkers use their Rage to unleash devastating blows on their enemies or commanding shouts for their allies. Their Rage increases everytime they are damaged or deal damage. This Rage passively increases their damage output a lot. Above 66% rage a Berserker is marked as 'Berserked' which increases the damage done by Bloodstrike, Bloodflurry, Onslaught, Intercepting Slash and Exile by 30% and adds the 'Berserk Effect' to some abilities. If the Berserker reaches 100% rage he will become furious and turn uncontrollable for 10 seconds. During this time his rage will decrease until it reaches 0% again while the Berserker will lose his defensive capabilities and takes more damage from physical attacks. After the 10 seconds the Berserker will start with 0% rage again and will be able to join the battlefield again under the player's control.

Because of the Rage Berserkers use, they will have to think about their moves. They can build up alot of rage to deal high amounts of damage, or get rid of the rage as much as they can so they won't risk becomming furious. Various talents will help a Berserker player to chose between their moves.
I think we should just have a basic 100/100 rage system where we can utilize the rage points we get instead of just using this passive abilite given to us already.

Talent points to increase the # of rage we can hold at a maximum would be cool. Then a master talent at the end can utilize say 125/130 rage.

Last edited:
Killer Instinct
Cooldown: X.00
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: X Energy and X Rage
Description: The Beserker turns primal, increasing damage by X% and attack speed by X% and has a X% chance to kill a non-boss unit equal to or less than your level whilst attacking. Lasts for X seconds. After killing a unit whilst in this state, the Beserker is exhausted, taking X damage, lowers movement speed and attack speed by x%, and has X% chance to miss whilst attacking. Lasts for X seconds.

Last edited:
Level 17
Pack Mentality
Cost: xx energy + xx worg energy
Description: The Worgmaster unleashes a mighty howl, increasing the damage, armor and health of his worg(s) to mimic his own. This also means that whatever offensive strikes are made by the Worgmaster are repeated by his pack.
Come, Brothers!
Cost: xxx energy
Description: The Worgmaster howls at the sight of the moon, calling upon his pack from the wilds to answer the call of the wild for xxx seconds. These worgs follow the Worgmaster to the end and have the same stats as the original worg.

Level 19
Currently I could use some idea's for:
Chanter, Redeemer and the (still unrevealed) Stoneguard class.
Note: The Stoneguard is a dwarven tank with heavy armor.

Level 6
Class: Chanter

Hymm of Fortitude

Cooldown: xx.00 seconds
Description: The Chanter hymm's an enchanting song, giving allies increased speed, and attack speed.

Divine Crisis

Range: Target (Can be upgraded in talent tree to an AoE spell)
Cast Time: x seconds
Description: The Chanter yells, causing bolts of holy light to rain down on the opponent.

Aura of Justice

Cooldown: 1.00
Range: 1200 Radius (I just used this from the Chanter's auras)
Cost: 1 symbol per aura (i'm not sure, once again, from Chanter's Auras)
Description: The Chanter summons this aura, dealing damage to nearby enemies.

P.S: I'm sorry, but i am a total chat n00b...yeah...

Level 19

Hymm of Fortitude

Description: The Chanter hymm's an enchanting song, giving allies increased speed, and attack speed.

Divine Crisis

Range: Target (Can be upgraded in talent tree to an AoE spell)
Cast Time: x seconds
Description: The Chanter yells, causing bolts of holy light to rain down on the opponent.

Aura of Justice (Sorry if this name is too long, lol. You can change it if you decide to use it.)

Cooldown: 1.00
Range: 1200 Radius (I just used this from the Chanter's auras)
Cost: 1 symbol per aura (i'm not sure, once again, from Chanter's Auras)
Description: The Chanter summons this aura, dealing damage to nearby enemies.

Looks cool. But could you be a bit more specific with the damage of Divine Crisis and the damage of the aura. I mean, how does this damage 'look like'? What makes Divine Crisis more original then Thunder Clap per example? It's basically just AoE damage so there should be something visual that makes it more interesting. As for the Aura I don;t know when it deals damage. Since an aura is passive. It might give units a passive +X bonus on a stat or let them get a Y% chance on hit/spellcast/block/parry whatever to activate something.
Anyway, great to see some idea's but would be great if you could be more specific to make the idea's differ more from other simple spells.

Level 6
Looks cool. But could you be a bit more specific with the damage of Divine Crisis and the damage of the aura. I mean, how does this damage 'look like'? What makes Divine Crisis more original then Thunder Clap per example? It's basically just AoE damage so there should be something visual that makes it more interesting. As for the Aura I don;t know when it deals damage. Since an aura is passive. It might give units a passive +X bonus on a stat or let them get a Y% chance on hit/spellcast/block/parry whatever to activate something.
Anyway, great to see some idea's but would be great if you could be more specific to make the idea's differ more from other simple spells.

Hmm...alright. I will see what I can do.

|EDIT|
Alright, I came up with some stuff for the spells I contributed ^_^

Divine Crisis: I think this spell would look kind of like Starfall, but on one target, like I said, could be upgraded into an AoE spell, so then, it could look like all out Starfall. I guess it could also look like Thunder Clap (please note that I have not played Warcraft III for a while until about two weeks ago, and my mind of how spells look in wc3 is kinda foggy). The casting time would be about 2 seconds long, while the effect itself should last about 4 seconds/4.5 seconds. When upgraded to an AoE spell, I think the casting time should be around 3.5 seconds long, while the spell is for 5.5 seconds long (I'm don't know, that could be too long).

Aura of Justice: It can deal damage every 2 seconds, and giving allies, say a 5% chance to parry attacks, and increases the damage that allies deal on enemies.

Last edited:
Level 1
healing/chaotic circle

Class: (any class that looks twisted yet play a supportive role)
Range: 900 AOE
Cost: xx energy, cost nn special energy for the after 3 seconds effect
Description: The Caster sustains a healing area following him for 3 seconds. Any units within the area will be healed for y% of health and z% of mana each second.
during the 3 second period, the skill icon would change into another icon which would deplete the special energy to activate the following effect:
after 3 seconds, ALL unit within the area will be (stunned for 6 seconds/receive damage equal to 1.5 the amount healed/lose all their mana) except the caster itself

warpath

Class: xxxxxx
Range: 1200
Cost: xx energy, remaining special energy
Description: the caster slams the ground, cracking the earth in front of him. incapacitating enemies caught in the crack dealing 0.5*str and dealing another 0.1*str for each remaining special energy the caster has.

cooling down

Class: any class who has special energy cap of 100
Cooldown: 60.00 seconds
Range: up to 1000 AOE
Cost: xx energy, remaining special energy
Description: the caster release all of his pent up energy, dealing damage to enemies caught in the blast. dealing 0.3*int and another 0.03*int for each remaining special energy.

hope these helps... can't wait for the release...