• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scars of Conflict [Altered Melee]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
In my honest opinion,the feel of wc2 is slowly being lost.It is great that you are not doing clone units and some old abilities,but some of the stuff should be there.
Deathknight without D&D?

Level 48
You could atleast but skype off.

Oh... So it was the video.
I'll upload a new one soon, then.

Make a peon push the catapult like in the good old Warcraft III Beta and looks good man.

The problem with that is that no unit in Warcraft 3 works like that. There are never any units 'pushing' or 'driving' a siege weapon. Adding one randomly would just screw the model up. That, and the death animation as well as the 'mechanical' classification would make no sense whatsoever.

I personally like the model itself. The animation are quite epic (The walk animation is so unique) and just wondering. There should be a rope or something that will release that beam of the catapult? It's a minor thing but meh. looks better if it has one.

There IS a rope releasing the catapult's spoon. You probably just don't don't see it. Look closer. :p

Just wondering since you have pally n orge mage units, will there be a ranger/beserker as well?

There are no current plans for a Berserker upgrade for the Troll Axethrower.
We are not yet designing the Alliance side, so I can say nothing about a Ranger. Perhaps it will be there, perhaps not.

In my honest opinion,the feel of wc2 is slowly being lost.It is great that you are not doing clone units and some old abilities,but some of the stuff should be there.
Deathknight without D&D?

Spellcasters are one of the few things that we are designing COMPLETELY differently than Warcraft II. The Death Knight is a spellcaster. The spellcasters are designed to be unique, and as far as we can from any WC2 or WC3 spellcaster. The basic theme, of course, is still there.
As for the 'WC2 feel'... What about the catapult we've just shown you guys? It's a Warcraft II remake, unlike, say, the Sappers or Death Knight.

Level 9
Ive got nothing againt the models,they have thrown up a chain of wc2 remakes.The models give a really good feel.Although if i am correct youre not doing buildings right?

EDIT:
Also,the feature for control points is cool too.Anyone played a game called Lord of the rings:War of the ring?It had 'places of power',like control points.

Level 48
The Shrine of Sargeras is the Horde's spellcaster building, and is unique to Scars of Conflict.
It's much in similar to a Temple of the Damned, except for a different name and a different lore background(as well as training a warlock).

- - -

Development Diary inbound in approximately a week! Stay tuned, folks.
Meanwhile, you might try to guess what it's about. Here's a little hint: We already showed you a part of it in the past.

Level 15
The Shrine of Sargeras is the Horde's spellcaster building, and is unique to Scars of Conflict.
It's much in similar to a Temple of the Damned, except for a different name and a different lore background(as well as training a warlock).

- - -

Development Diary inbound in approximately a week! Stay tuned, folks.
Meanwhile, you might try to guess what it's about. Here's a little hint: We already showed you a part of it in the past.
Well all that I can say is very innovative. Unlike Temple Of The Damned it is going to train Warlocks instead of Death Knights. Awesome!!!

Level 21
Ok then, thanks for telling me that and yeah Necrolytes are the necromancers of the Horde in the good old past.

Level 16
Ya, know theoreticaly there should be a necrolyte and a warloc unit, which you would sacrifice in order to create a DK.
But it's only a theory.

Level 48
What the hell, JokeMaster, and Warlord_Ajerloir... I usually don't like to insult people like that, but this is just confusing.
What ARE you talking about?
Death Knights are fallen Human Knights of the First War(aka Warcraft: Orcs and Humans) infused with the souls of the slain Warlocks of the Shadow Council from the First War.
You can't just "sacrifice" a warlock and create a Death Knight, at least according to lore.
For one, you'll need a Human Knight corpse for that. It probably also involves some long ritual or something. Death Knights are not exactly your run-of-the-mill Grunts or Footmen, they're powerful wielders of ancient, shadowy magics.
Now, Necrolytes participated in the First War, and supposedly, were slain at the same time. VERY few Necrolytes survived, however, and that's evident by Warcraft 3's "Stormreaver Necrolytes". That basically means that there's no way that you could mass-recruit Necrolytes at the time of the second war.
That's basically it for the lore part.
As for the gameplay part...
Basically, both races have 2 'primary' spellcasters(other units have spells too, but do not have the characteristics of spellcasters: Weak magic attack, Adept and Master training, etc). The Alliance has the Mage and Cleric, the Horde has the Death Knight and Warlock. Introducing a third spellcaster would be quite a big problem to balance and overall unit and upgrade costs. That's not to mention that both races have an equal amount of units already, and that means that by introducing a Necolyte we'll need to either remove one other Horde unit or add one other Alliance unit. And we sure do like our techtrees enough already.

Level 48
33jhbar.jpg
124aic4.jpg

2hf0to4.jpg
2nrf3o6.jpg

Greetings to all our fans and followers!
Welcome to the third installment in our Developer's Blog series.
The Developer's Blog is a short overview about a unit, game mechanic control point or any other feature from Scars of Conflict.

And today, we are proud to announce the release of our third race - the Critters! For far too long since the beginning of the Second War, the Alliance and the Horde have slaughtered the harmless creatures of the forest mercilessly for food and other supplies, ravaged their houses for lumber, and torn apart the land they lived on with their war machines. The critters are the very definition... Of 'Scars of Conflict'.

But now, the Critters have rallied their forces under one banner. In a secret meeting in the forests of Elwynn, they have organized a military force to be reckoned with. The Critters are masters of deception, hiding in the forests and leaping on unsuspecting soldiers, or sneaking around undetected right under the noses of their enemies.

Screenshot1.png
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot3.png
Screenshot4.png
Love is a beautiful thing.
I think there's a spy among us!
AMBUSH!
Aftermath.

The Critters are a rather unique race. Instead of using buildings like the other two races, critters are able to reproduce with eachother, creating critter offspring that can grow into formidable warriors. In addition, critters are able to jump from tree to tree, spying on enemy forces and preparing to ambush them. This emphasizes the stealth aspect of the race, on which most of it revolves.

Screenshot5.png
Screenshot6.png
Screenshot7.png
Screenshot8.png
Is it really paranoia...
When the threat is real...?
...I think those are SEALS, captain...!
They're hostile... DEFINITELY HOSTILE!!!

In addition, critters make no use of teamcolor. This allows critters to sneak unsuspecting inside bases and near enemy troops. Instead, players must manually target and attack the enemy player's critters in order to kill them. To counter this, critters have incredibly low health point counts and the critter player must also manually target enemy forces in order to kill them.
The food gathering for critter units is also unique. Instead of building farms, critters must bring the fallen bodies of their Orc and Human enemies to their stockpile(which could be placed anywhere). The more corpses are gathered, the more food your critters have and the more critter offsprings you may spawn.

And finally, I give you a video of members of the Critter race completely massacring a group of unsuspecting Alliance troops:

Development Blog #3 Video - Critter Race.

Please note that all the models are placeholders. While we work on the art for this race, I'd like to thank the following people for their models that were used as placeholders in this Developer's Blog: Stanakin Skywalker, Epsilon, Kimberly, maxor_gan, Dan van Ohllus, HappyCockroach, cheveronSeven.

Level 48
We ARE looking for additional unit ideas.
Perhaps we can make use of this.
A Walrus, however, would be a little complicated to implement, since lore-wise they're only found around Northrend, and well... I can not think of an interesting role for him.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
(Although, I'll pass on the idea to Linaze and hopefully we'll discuss him tonight. You might like what you shall see. :D)

Level 16
Crocodile
Sheep
Super Sheep
Flying Shep
Exploding sheep
Mechano Sheep
Horse
Unicorn
Hawk
Hawkstrider
Dog
Coyote
Dingoo
Mule
Ox
Fox
Beaver
Cow
Reaven
Owl
Snake
Lizzard

Level 48
Bring on the Anti-Pony Resistance Troops, I say! FOR THE HORDE!

No, but, we don't actually have plans to implement any kind of ponies or large animals as part of the Critter race. The Critters must be at the very least small enough to be unnoticeable, with the exception of the Stingray, the heavy naval unit for our third race.

Level 7
Bring on the Anti-Pony Resistance Troops, I say! FOR THE HORDE!

No, but, we don't actually have plans to implement any kind of ponies or large animals as part of the Critter race. The Critters must be at the very least small enough to be unnoticeable, with the exception of the Stingray, the heavy naval unit for our third race.

Then you will pay! the pony council has spoken... You could get some big animals... for instance, Mammoths as siege units or something... or Ultimate... Dragons and sh*t...

Level 21
The oil man has spoken, so I liked the critter look to it, and why did it remind me of that one scene from Monty Python with the bunny killer.

Level 24
The team agreed on each of us giving our permissions for the rest of the team to use whatever we created for the project in case of one of us leaving.
So yeah, I give my permission to each project member (current or future) to use all my code, object editor data and ideas without exception. This applies even if I leave the team. This permission cannot be withdrawn.

Due to some intern reasons that won't be discussed in here or out, since it's something between the project and the team members.. I have an announcement to make.

I, Vincent P. Turcot (aka Mr.Goblin) give the rights, the use and the permission of all my ressources made for the project Scars of Conflict (Icons, terrain, textures, ideas, concepts, models, Illustrations) to the project itself. In case of departure of the project, I will have no rights to take my ressources back.

Status
Not open for further replies.