• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 units rank up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Why do you make such pointless posts... is it to boost your post count ? do you do it to provoke reaction or gain attention ? Regardless, stop, if you have nothing to add to the topic, there is not much point posting in it.

Level 13
Yess, granted my post (and this one) is pointless, i felt the need to say it because he seems to do it all the time in this section, I hope that justifies my post, even if its TOTALY off topic from the conversation.

Level 7
i just thought of something cool. what if the units in a game ranked up and if they survived where they could keep going up levels and when reaching a certain rank evolved and got more upgrades and abilities. and for multiplayer have battle fronts where once someone wins on a map it immediately goes to a different map (depending on who won the results might be different) where the units that lived are transfered over to the next map. plus the players would both gain forces specific to the mission (ex. Terrain loses- terrain are pushed back and must defend fort against zerg offensive for 30 min or destroy zerg so terrain get units to defend the base at start) and the only way to win would be to complete ultimate objective (ex. drive terrain off the planet by beating them in 6 fronts [individual mission maps] and completeing the 7th final front)

pretty cool idea huh (7 hour game [YESSSSSSSSSSS])

sry for practicing necromancy

Level 13
i just thought of something cool. what if the units in a game ranked up and if they survived where they could keep going up levels and when reaching a certain rank evolved and got more upgrades and abilities. and for multiplayer have battle fronts where once someone wins on a map it immediately goes to a different map (depending on who won the results might be different) where the units that lived are transfered over to the next map. plus the players would both gain forces specific to the mission (ex. Terrain loses- terrain are pushed back and must defend fort against zerg offensive for 30 min or destroy zerg so terrain get units to defend the base at start) and the only way to win would be to complete ultimate objective (ex. drive terrain off the planet by beating them in 6 fronts [individual mission maps] and completeing the 7th final front)

pretty cool idea huh (7 hour game [YESSSSSSSSSSS])

sry for practicing necromancy
Hurray for people who have played 22 hours a day with 2 hours sleep and have a full army of fully upgraded battlecruisers or Carriers/Motherships (I think MS can attack air now) or Hydralisks!

Level 13
Units gaining levels or whatever else that one guy said would only be cool in the Campaing, and even there the unit wouldn't last long before it died anyway.

Level 13
You make a good point. But i think the individual units will get the rank up, as its impossible to tell which units are linked with which Overlord, and how the rank up would affect all the other units under said overlord's control, even though it was only established by one unit. What im saying here is, its going to be individual units only for zerg.

Level 13
I wonder was the ranking idea dropped since I haven't seen or heard anything of it for a long time.

Level 13
Hmm. Another good point, i havent seen any signs of it myself recently. Too bad if it was, it would have been great for custom games.

There is still WC 3 type hero system for the map editor. . . And in WC 3 people managed to make normal units with exp bars so I think the same things can be done in SC 2.

Level 13
That sounds cool units to be leveling up and realistic too! And I just wanna know, since I don't follow, is there gonna be an inventory for units and items?
There will be no heroes or inventories in normal gameplay. The hero WC 3 hero system is only in the map editor for custom maps. And I also think this promotion/ranking up thing was deleted since we haven't seen it in any new Screenshots and we haven't heard Blizzard say anything about it either.

Level 19
There will be no heroes or inventories in normal gameplay. The hero WC 3 hero system is only in the map editor for custom maps. And I also think this promotion/ranking up thing was deleted since we haven't seen it in any new Screenshots and we haven't heard Blizzard say anything about it either.

After reading a lot of threads I've noticed that a lot of people didn't believe you. lol... items, inventory, wc3 hero leveling etc... Which came from a reliable source ====> Karune.
Btw come to the Starcraft 2 forums instead of discussing stuff on these forums which will never reach Blizzard's Starcraft 2 team.
Check this thread.
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?FN=sc2-general&T=132583&P=1

Last edited:
Level 13
After reading a lot of threads I've noticed that a lot of people didn't believe you. lol... items, inventory, wc3 hero leveling etc... Which came from a reliable source ====> Karune.
Btw come to the Starcraft 2 forums instead of discussing stuff on these forums which will never reach Blizzard's Starcraft 2 team.
Check this thread.
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?FN=sc2-general&T=132583&P=1
Well I know these things because I COME FROM THE FUTURE! HAHAHA. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going back to my copy of SC 2. The only bad thing is that I'm the only one playing it right now so can't go online :( .

Level 5
I heard from a gaming magazine i get that they will not be introducing wc3 style leveling... but thats just what i heard.

Level 13
I heard from a gaming magazine i get that they will not be introducing wc3 style leveling... but thats just what i heard.
As has been said normal games are pretty same as SC 1 but WC 3 Hero System will be in the map editor for custom maps.

Level 10
Quote from Karune:

Will there be a DotA for StarCraft II? For those who are not familiar, DotA (Defense of the Ancients), is a popular UMS game created for Warcraft III. StarCraft compared to Warcraft III, does not focus on heroes as much, and heroes or units do not have the same experience gaining mechanic as Warcraft III, making it difficult to imagine how a game like DotA could be reproduced for StarCraft. Nonetheless, after chatting it up with our devs, we found out the ability to allow heroes and units to gain experience is built into the Map Editor, though it will not likely be in single player or standard multiplayer. In addition, those units can also be toggled to have the ability to carry an inventory, which is also a characteristic needed in UMS maps such as DotA. With those two additions, we can rest assured that our clever community modders can handle the rest in creating some awesome custom games.

Source: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=1&p=1&#post1

Level 40
A little late of a response, but at the time when we were not willing to automatically agree with him, Karune had not posted that yet.

Level 13
Guys, simply don't play RPG maps then? How hard can it be to avoid them? I think you might be making abit too big of a deal out of this, I mean normal play is still the same, NO WC 3 heroes in Campaign or in Normal games, only in custom maps.

Also blizzard doesn't backtract they go combine and improve, combine and improve, recycle it and improve it!

Level 26
This thread is going down.. It's beginning to look like the thread in moddb.com about people NOT wanting Orange Box SDK released, as it would spawn crappy mods.. ^^
That must be why we stopped posting in this thread ONE MONTH AGO.

But I guess now that someone HAS posted in it, I haven't heard anything about this feature, and it HAS been a month, so I guess it's probably a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.