• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New SC2 Unit: Nomad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Alright, as nobody seems to have made a new thread about this, here we go:

NOMAD ''Flying SCV'' - SC2 Terran Unit.

Builds From: Starport
Armament: None
Role: Battlefield Support/Construction

is an all-around workhorse that combines the functions of light manufacturing center and observation post rolled into one. A common sight among the fringe-world colonies, the nomad is a robust, air-mobile vehicle built to operate independently in all but the harshest climates. Although the nomad shares a number of common traits with its smaller cousin, the SCV, the nomad is a far more specialized and advanced engineering craft.

Nomads are normally employed for first-line colony surveillance and protection duties against dangerous local life forms or climate events. These vehicles boast an impressive array of sensors delicate enough to detect even cloaked or burrowed enemies. By deploying its two aft-mounted nano-welders, the nomad can construct a variety of small, semi-permanent defensive structures to meet various threats in a matter of moments.

Several standard template constructions are available to the nomad, a popular example being the auto turret. This simple robot gun emplacement is suitable for driving off smaller hostile life forms for an extended period of time.

The Terran Dominion initially provided nomads to give low-level protection to its most isolated outposts, typically manning them with local civilians as something akin to a volunteer fire truck or ambulance service. Over time the military support applications of the nomad have seen it deployed in escalating levels of conflict, gradually replacing the older and vastly costlier science vessel.

Link: http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/nomad.xml

Personal Comment: Uglier vessel that I will sure shoot down, but good idéa.

Level 25
Its like a flying TF2 Engineer

"Spah's sappin' mah sentry!"

But damn, I can see nasty uses for it if you can get them in somewhere unprotected. Stick a few turrets near an unprotected worker line and watch as your enemy dies horribly

Bonus points if you use them for cover for then landing a group of Siege Tanks. If they can attack air they might be a good choice if you're advancing siege tanks and an opponent is quickly trying to get some air up

You guys have no taste in models, do you?

Anyways, both look like they're made of plastic. At least the Thor is imposing... and you know, it's a giant robot. It has to be badass.

The Nomad looks like it's made of plastic too, but it's rather bland... Kinda boring and "lifeless" compared to other Starcraft Units. The yellow makes it look like a toy.

Anyways, where are the damn zergs?!

Level 26
You guys have no taste in models, do you?

Anyways, both look like they're made of plastic. At least the Thor is imposing... and you know, it's a giant robot. It has to be badass.

The Nomad looks like it's made of plastic too, but it's rather bland... Kinda boring and "lifeless" compared to other Starcraft Units. The yellow makes it look like a toy.

The Thor is obvious overkill. It has too many guns, and it's much too large. It looks stupid. The Nomad looks at least somewhat sensible.

Level 25

Made me think into one thing, are Blizzard going hype mode, where they have finished the whole race, but are slowly releasing things just to keep it up, or aint they finished with it yet?

Cuz.. If they aint, then when will the game really be out? Cuz to my opinion.. Races need to be done before campaigns are in thought..

Yes, but the Nomad looks ridiculous compared to the near-gritty units and battleships. It looks like a toy.

Same for the Thor.

I'm all for Blizzard stylising their units (with them it usually results to plastic-like models though (WoW)), but if the Nomad and Thor were a little grittier, then they'd be taken a lot more seriously.

Also, pratical is nice, but sometimes you want eye-candy too.

All in all I want my damn zergs.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
The nydus worm is so awesome on that video...
Anyway, the Nomad, IMO the terrans seem to have become kind of imba against dark templars or any invisible units. The sensor and radar domes: they'll show you that the darks are approaching. Then comes in the Nomad, reveals them and lays down all these towers... Dark templar harassment has met its match I guess...

Level 40
Anyway, the Nomad, IMO the terrans seem to have become kind of imba against dark templars or any invisible units. The sensor and radar domes: they'll show you that the darks are approaching. Then comes in the Nomad, reveals them and lays down all these towers... Dark templar harassment has met its match I guess...
Hmm... replace those with SC1 units.

"Anyway, the Science Vessel, IMO the terrans seem to become kind of imba against dark templars or any invisible units. The Missile Turrets: they'll show you the darks are approaching. Then comes the Science Vessel, reveals them and uses Irradiate and EMP Shockwave... Dark templar harassment has met its match I guess..."

The same can be said for protoss and zerg... Invisibility is not meant for frontial assaults, it's meant for hit-and-run attacks.

Level 13
Well from what I recall from the B.net forums (could be untrue) the Nomad used to have EMP but it was moved to the ghost I think. Also the Nomad (according to Karune if I remember correct) has some other nice defensive buildings it can build besides the turrets.

Level 13
Oh great... now ghosts are more imbalanced then always.

But remember everything is subject to change, like the Thor no longer has his wierd bombardment skill and he has now mysteriously replaced the Cobra (yes the Cobra is scrapped now).

Level 13
No cobra? Dang, they were awesome little bastards...
Well other fans thought they were useless and the the rest of the nay-sayers were fanboys who hate change.

Also if you didn't know the Predator was also deleted. If you don't know what the predator is, then well. . . it was a Terran anti-air flyer which also had a special ability called intercept which would shoot incoming enemy missiles.

Level 25
Cause these people are guys who want their best game ever to be even better, but doesn't have the courage to take risks..

Besides, what's the name of the Terran unit that attacked at the same time as it moved? I think it was in a trailer somewhere..

Level 25
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Cobra; The Cobra was a Terran hover vehicle. It was armed with twin Eviscerator[1 said:
rail guns and it can shoot while moving[3] - similar to the Siege Tank in tank mode (circa StarCraft). This was shown to be incredibly effective against the Thor, which turned too slowly to track the strafing Cobras.[3] It had the ability to attack ground and air units, although its weapons were particularly effective against armored targets.[1][3] It possessed an electrical attack which slows enemy units.[4]

As of the current build, the Cobra has been replaced by the Thor.[5] [/COLOR]

How can it be replaced by the Thor, if it was good AGAINST the Thor?

Hope they keep it, attack-and-move would be really effective to have..

Level 13
How can it be replaced by the Thor, if it was good AGAINST the Thor?

Hope they keep it, attack-and-move would be really effective to have..
Simple. They changed the Thor from it's current status to one which counters the type that Thor was.

In other words according to starcraft wiki Thor now counters heavy units and air units.

Level 13
Cool, now its more like a mech rather than some giant siege unit.
(siege tanks do the job just fine)
The Thor is still on thin ice. It's doing better than at first it did thought, because fans saw that the Siege tanks and Battlecruisers replaced it's job well enough, because even thought it had more health and such, the BC could istantly turn and the Siege Tank was easier and cheaper and more effective in the siege business or something like that.

Blizzard is also expirementing a new system where the Thor would have to be killed twice, as in after you kill it twice it will become incanpacitated, as in lose it's legs or something. It could still shoot but not move.

Status
Not open for further replies.