• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 units rank up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
i saw recently, in This:
http://www.starcraft2.com/screenshot.xml?27
That some units had "ranks" similiar to cnc-Generals,

What does this mean ? LEVELING UP HEROES ! Yup, if units can level up we can have wc3-style hero abilities w00tage !

This should end the "sc2hero" discussion, everything we need to make them is here, and when the game gets released we will have many avenues to explore (hero unit-wise)

Level 26
ugh... this is as much "leveling up" as red alert 2's units. from what it looks like, it seems like it's just reaching veteran rank. it'd be great for leveling up if you'd like to have a "hero" gaining one or two levels. i'll fucking kill them if they introduce, as you say, wc3 style heroes. if they make the amount of veteran status leveling up an adjustable thing, dota fans have more to beat off of. perhaps let in a trigger that allows you to make abilities every time you "level up". this does not end the heroes in sc2 discussion because, from what it looks like, it's no different from the stuff you see in cnc games. one or two rank ups, and nothing more. all in all, this doesn't really prove anything more than a possibility in custom maps.

Level 4
nothing is final, so the discussion isnt ended until it is announced for a beta version. as for ranking up, id rather they not if it gives bonuses cause then itd turn into a game of having your rank 2 unit getting the final blow on a unit to get it to rank 3 and such.

Level 13
in most, as you say, CnC-type games veteran units usualy die almost as easily as normal ones anyway, im just saying WITH TRIGGERS this could GREATLY help role playing games for StarCraft 2. Fuck dota, if it does come to SC2 (and it will) i say let it, the dota douchebags can all play theyre little games while others like myself will be playing hero survivals, balanced AoS's Zombie games and so on, really its not like we dont have a choice in the map selection, if dota floods the server well i wont give a damn, just gives more empty space between the titles i DO care about.

All in all, this is a very very good thing in my opinion.

Level 26
in most, as you say, CnC-type games veteran units usualy die almost as easily as normal ones anyway, im just saying WITH TRIGGERS this could GREATLY help role playing games for StarCraft 2. Fuck dota, if it does come to SC2 (and it will) i say let it, the dota douchebags can all play theyre little games while others like myself will be playing hero survivals, balanced AoS's Zombie games and so on, really its not like we dont have a choice in the map selection, if dota floods the server well i wont give a damn, just gives more empty space between the titles i DO care about.

All in all, this is a very very good thing in my opinion.
Let's just pray they have a damn good filter, or a Google styled game search! I could see the top search now... "-dota"

But if the ranking is a variable, does that mean when you get to level 10, you get 10 of those bars?

Dota will probably just become an independent game sometime instead of keeping on being just a map. Perhaps not a sponsored game, but a game none the less I think. I don't think they want to build up another hype from scratch by going to Sc2, but you never know.

Anyways, enough Dota talk, any further Dota discussion in this thread will get deleted.

Level 7
Personally id rather have Blizzards Plastic Action Figures than a replica hero system cause then Raynor and Thrall can stand side by side on my desk

Level 13
Um kaboom, there is already a thrall model, costs alot of $ though, at least thats what i hear.

Raynor.... we never really got to see much of his body, kinda hard to make a model of him, maybe a bust though :D

Level 13
In a nutshell i was reffering to the possibility of having Wc3 hero systems

So basicly it had the same general rough idea that this does:

Veteran Units =/= Hero Units, if that's what was originally being inferred.

Essentialy i was trying to say that, unfortunately i was definately alot less clear, i was excited at the time, you know me.

Level 25
I hope blizzard implents the hero system as a bonus to us mapmakers, but hell to them if they add it to the normal game!

+ Wouldn't it be hell lot of unbalanced? Think this, 4 Zerglings = 1 Zealot. Zealot kills 3 Zerglings =Zealot gains lvl + dmg. Zealot pwns fourth Zergling... Zerglings? Well, they die so instantly fast that it wouldn't help them so much with lvling, ''yay ma zergling is at lvl ten'' BOOM Headshot! And it was shoot down by a Siege tank.

Skip that idéa, but add it to the Editor.

Level 26
1. It has already been said that the hero system would be implemented in the editor, though not anywhere else.
2. The hero system would only apply to heroes, not ordinary units.
3. The only way a siege tank could possibly take on zerglings is if they were standing still.

Level 25
1. It has already been said that the hero system would be implemented in the editor, though not anywhere else.
2. The hero system would only apply to heroes, not ordinary units.
3. The only way a siege tank could possibly take on zerglings is if they were standing still.

3. Forget of Siege tank then :p But how would it count? I mean, Protoss mothership pwns down a few Hydralisks.. It lvls up! Wooho! Would each unit produce a different amount of xp? (Like ultralisk = 200 xp, Zergling = 25 xp).

Level 13
shit like the mothership would require ALOT of kills to lvl up.

Besides just because it gained a lvl doesnt mean its unbeatable.

If blizzards smart they will decrease the ammount of XP gained from say, a zergling. But INCREASE the rate said ling gets ITS XP, therefore making them tougher targets, and making them worth saving after a fight.

Level 26
3. Forget of Siege tank then :p But how would it count? I mean, Protoss mothership pwns down a few Hydralisks.. It lvls up! Wooho! Would each unit produce a different amount of xp? (Like ultralisk = 200 xp, Zergling = 25 xp).
No, really? Was it that inconspicuous that weaker units would give and need less xp? Didn't they already have something like that in warcraft 3? You know, the game that set the precedent?

Level 34
I don't get it. So in the WE for SC2 there will be an option to make heros right? Well why are we talking aout Zerglings leveling, they wouldn't be a hero!?! I should just save myself the effort and stay out of this =P

Level 13
This thread is mostly about how the UNITS in StarCraft 2 MIGHT get better/recieve level ups through combat.

It wouldnt be like Wc3 heros though. They would likely not recieve abilities, gain vast ammounts of power, recive drastic role altering changes ect, they would just be better units over-all. Oh and they wont revive either.

Level 26
As in CnC games, veterancy is usually a two-tiered system of which, if a unit fights enough, they will receive minor stat boosts. This happens usually 2-3 times before it reaches its limit. We're discussing it because a screenshot shows the markings of veterancy on it.

Level 13
and, more than that, it has it hovering over units, as in the CnC series.

Untill we get official confirmation from blizz however we wont know if its gona make the final cut.

Level 34
Ahh sorry, I get it. I hope they don't, never played games with it, but it seems like it would make comebacks all that much harder.

Level 13
not really, having a unit "rank up" is usualy a rare thing.

Just means you need to start using tactics instead of constant zerg rushes at your target. Essentialy, do not "feed" the enemy with units.

Level 13
Purplepoot:

See: Zerg Rush,
Zealot Rush,
Zerg Spam,
SCV rush
And you will see that many more tactics basicly end up having you throw away your units.

Now, after a fight, retreat is a valid option
Rushers now can keep theyre men, thus allowing them to attack again but with stronger units.
Defenders now can pwn noob zergling rushes with a co-ordinated resistance.

Before, rushers couldnt be assed to keep theyre men. usualy since they were buisy making unit producers and queing troops.

Level 26
I straddle the fence when it comes to veterancy. On one hand, it offers an alternative to the "Screw the rules, I have money" scenario. On the other hand, starcraft was always a game meant for expendable units, and small squads were always a warcraft thing. BUT, veterancy isn't like heroes in that 1, any unit can get it so it doesn't centralize or concentrate an army, and 2, it's not that overpowering, and can be mass produced, therefore not really ruining the starcraft way of battle.

Level 26
Upgrades are in no way, shape, or form veterancy. A point of veterancy is to provide a little something that money can't. Upgrades are... well, quite opposing that. It's like an actual battlefield. There is the equipment, and there are the small things you can learn from experience make yourself a better soldier, like a better aim.

Level 40
I don't like the idea of 2-3 marines easily owning a dragoon. (or stalker or whatever...) If I see a marine, I want to be fighting against a marine.

Also, I can see SC2 getting a lot more slow if veterancy had a significant effect, with people having standoffs, trying to pick off enemies without losing anyone. (or as little as possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.