• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 contests?

Read the first post!

• No SC2 contests (keep it as it is)

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Do a few SC2 contests but keep it mostly WC3

Votes: 197 44.6%
  • Do an even mixture of both

Votes: 136 30.8%
  • Do more SC2 contests and only a few WC3 ones

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • SC2 contests only

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Undecided / don't care / other

Votes: 27 6.1%

• Total voters
Level 13
Do a few SC2 contests but keep it mostly WC3

I vote for this.
Just because more members have WC3 then SC2. But I agree that over time, as more people get into SC2 we should do more and more SC2 contests.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Even match. WC3 is not dead yet, and I honestly can't see how lesser than or more than is relevant. Either you do contests or you don't.

Level 8
Even match. WC3 is not dead yet, and I honestly can't see how lesser than or more than is relevant. Either you do contests or you don't.

yes.. but if you do an equal mix of both, and you make like uh.. 3-4 SC2 contests and you end up getting very few entries. what then ?
seems to me like you could better start of with small/few contests.. right?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

yes.. but if you do an equal mix of both, and you make like uh.. 3-4 SC2 contests and you end up getting very few entries. what then ?
seems to me like you could better start of with small/few contests.. right?

There is no thing such as fewer contests without eliminating fields. If you are hosting a SCII modelling contest it doesn't mean there will be too few people to participate in a SCII texturing contest. For me, it doesn't make sense to host one or two contests at a time instead of all contests unless the participants have to choose one out of more contests. Thus, like I said, either you do all the contests, or you do none of them. You don't do just modelling or just terraining. The frequency of the same SCII contest will vary either way, just like it does for WCIII contests.

Level 8
There is no thing such as fewer contests without eliminating fields. If you are hosting a SCII modelling contest it doesn't mean there will be too few people to participate in a SCII texturing contest. For me, it doesn't make sense to host one or two contests at a time instead of all contests unless the participants have to choose one out of more contests. Thus, like I said, either you do all the contests, or you do none of them. You don't do just modelling or just terraining. The frequency of the same SCII contest will vary either way, just like it does for WCIII contests.

... i see. actually makes sense o.o; can i change my poll vote LOL ?

Level 24
I voted for the majority of future contests being related to WC3, because I've always seen the Hive as a Warcraft modding community and I think switching focus to SC2 (not only when it comes to contests) would harm the site, for example in terms of activity.

I don't think that the contests should be done, or at the very least, posted across hive, since this is a war3 modding site. If you do have contests, just post announcement on the starcraft 2 forum, don't spam it across hive.

Also, I agree with Linaze, if the site switches to equally startcraft, I will most likely leave, since I am not here for starcraft.

Level 8
You will leave because the wc3 aspect stays the same, and the sc2 aspect is merely an added half?

Thats silly.

The wc3 part will never die, it is and always will be an integeral part of the sites identity.

What THW will do is grow to support sc2 and other moddable RTS blizzard titles.

I agree and dissagree. If the site is not updated using new games, soon the old game (which is WC3) will die out, and no one will use the forum.
That is why I believe it is good to have more SC2 contests, to "make the site fresher". So in the end, the old WC3 part will eventually die out with time.

Level 20
I think the sad bit is, by the time sc2 reaches the 'frontal point' (where it's more popular than war3 due to age or w/e), war4 will be just around the corner.

Be realistic, WoW is too much of a cash cow to let the series die and with Cataclysm being the last expansion and their next mmo not 'craft' related, war4 WILL HAPPEN, this coming decade. I would bet money on it.

So is it worth, fully making the jump?
Probably not, just support sc2, let the community grow the forums. If it's getting crowded, expand it.
If people spam for more contests in several months, give them :p
I agree with many who say it's too early to decide just yet.

Level 22
Why talk about war4 when if this thing is made ever it won't be until after 5 years from now.

Out of boredom im now saying my opinion cause you don't see me taking part in modeling or terraining contests to care much, not that they aren't cool.

Firstly, I don't understand how 'Terrain won't be anywhere near as good either' when if we do a nice Rocks, Grass and Trees, waterfall falling from the top of the rocks with war3 and SC2, in war3 it will look like cartoony picture and in SC2 it will look like a movie.

On 'Welcome to the Jungle' the intro missions shows a waterfall that reminded me and looked with the same graphics like 'Avatar' the part where they fly over some flying rocks with waterfalls. Water is white (in the streams) and shiny when in high graphics and up. Realistic.

in War3 that would be some blue water with very cartoony green grass

--

It is normal to have more war3 contests. SC2 is new, the editor is new and after beta they changed it more, so it's even harder to use but not that impossible. So at this stage the more War3 but few SC2 are good opinions.

But if you (admins) wanna leave it like that say in 1 year when it should have enough people and knowledge, well good luck. WC3C is turning into a graveyard, not much anyone's doing there while in SC2 all have focused. So if you wanna get beaten by all SC2 forums cause one year and even more will switch to SC2, then leave it like that. Not my forum, lost my support thx to SOME ADMINS, so im fine either way you choose. I can just quit :)

Level 17
I think he is trying to say that it is "Naive" for someone to put sc2 contests only, when obviously even if it had the win in the polls, hive wouldn't do that. The conversion from wc3 to sc2 will take a long time. May be so long that a new game will come out that people will want contests for and there will be a 3 way conversion until wc3 is finally kicked out. I do agree that wc3 community is dying, its the cycle that every game follows. Wc3 just took a really long time because basically it brought "power to the players" and that is why blizzard games are great, and are loved for a long time before the cycle of death finally takes it.

Level 17
Well there is a lack of contests, not many contests come out that frequently, so if there was a 50:50 mixture or sc2 and wc3 then there wouldn't be many contests. I understand that they cant overlap contests, so that people who are in a contest dont get left out because they cant do 2 contests at once, and that is why a even mixture would leave both with a very low contest count, and those who dont have sc2 will have to wait twice as long for a wc3 contest, then usual

No, it woulden't because an even mixture also stripulates an even number of contenders, if there arent many people to join, it makes sense from a human standpoint not to make many, also, contests could easily be cycled, doing a modeling contest for sc2 and a texturing contest for wc3, then switching, some people cant code in wc3 but can do galaxy well, ect. as the community develops or depricates it only makes sense for contests to follow them, absolutes should be disincluded completley, its the natural development of the community that should striuplate the number of contests, as the wc3and sc2 communities wax and wane, so too should the number of contests.

Level 24
The site is by no means swiching to sc2 or remaining focused on wc3, in the future, the site will most likley be focused on both of the spectrums equally.
Fully implementing a parallel Sc2 community obviously takes a lot of time. Time that can been used to improve the Wc3 community, and since that's why I'm here, I'm obviously in support of anything that keeps Wc3 in the spotlight, contests included.

Level 17
Ive played wc3 for 7 years, i don't think i can go to sc2. If i had maybe played sc and wc3 and goten into both, i would get into sc2, but i only played wc3. So for me losing wc3 contests is it for me, losing the community is it for me. The only change ill make is not playing wc3 at all.

I didn't play much sc1, as my interest in rts came after it was fairly old, Now i'm a regular sc2 player. I've been playing warcraft 3 since early 2006, starting to mod it in 2007.

There is no reason not to try a new game, thats like making the Call of Duty series the only FPS you will ever play. After all, were talking about games here people, we do this because we have fun.

Level 17
Yes but im getting more into school, and by next year ill be neck deep trying to get my masters, also im either getting married next year or early in the year after so ill have that to work about, and getting into a new game for me isnt much of an option, i dont like cutting things off short, if i do get into sc2 i want to go all the way. And for me i have been playing this since 2003, and i started modding at 2005. I had to teach myself for a long period of time, because i never knew about mod websites. When you go that deep into a game, its hard to climb out and start a new hole.

Not Really, Sc2 is immesly easy to learn to mod, wow and wc3 assets are being added, and the galaxy editor, for all its faults supplants the world editor handily, and the GUI is much nicer, and if you already know mainstream coding languages like java or C++ its easy to get the hang of coding Galaxy.

It was an easy trasition for me. While the data editor may take a week or t wo to get used to there are tons of good tutorials here and on sc2mapster.

Level 21
Now with having Starcraft II I can enter some contests, but with time spent and deserved time I might join in just a few contests.

Level 21
Same.
I just like how the WE was all there and placed and you could just have your fun with it.

The Galaxy Editor is just out of place and you need to open it like a treasure chest and try to crack it with some idea on everything else.

Level 3
I also say that learning a new game isn't that hard. I've been playing WC3 off and on for nearly 6 years myself and recently got SC2. I like the game play and the custom maps in it are dozens of times more fun because more can happen. I admit that WC3 was amazing and that it's sad that it might die, but SC2 is fun and only like 2 or 3 things were actually majorly different in game from WC3. Like for "Hero Units" It's always F2 to select your "hero" because F1 is used for the ability pane.

I don't know much about GE or even the WE for that matter, I looked around with them and did a few things but I'm not a serious mapper, nor am I creative enough to hold interest in making a map for longer then like 10 minutes.

However I agree with The World Is Flat in that its all about having fun playing the games. Its why I buy new games, like Nier or DA:Origins or Darksiders. And the most important part of seeing a new game is to remember to keep an open mind and not judge it based on another game. Judge it based on its own qualities so as to get an accurate opinion of how good or bad is.