• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rune System Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
This is some old stuff that i have missed totally.
This is pretty damn important for our spells and will give it an even better d3 feeling if we manage to make a rune system.
YouTube - Diablo III - BlizzCon 2008: Panel: Runes
They explain how pretty much everything works in detail, maybe we should take a closer look into it and see if we can make that to?
The inventory system is done now you know, just items need to be done. So what about moving forward and start make runes now? :p

-Other-
YouTube - Diablo III Blizzcon 2008: Panel: Skills Part 3
Better explain on spells

YouTube - Diablo III - BlizzCon 2008: Panel: Death Effects
Different death animations, kinda funny x)

Level 4
The Rune System was pretty clever, I like how they set it up. It can be explained as a "socket" system for spells. I was able to play D3 at BlizzCon, keke.

0zk

0zk

Level 1
you know i can't really tell how to make the runes work without seen the fullscreen inventory first... maybe it can add some...(don't kill me for this) DotA like orb effects...i know dota is a totally diferent game but what i am talking about here...is the mechanics...maybe you can't stack rune effects in one skill...and they can...or increase the efect of the current skill (make monguls stronger, lighting arc jump more times just reapeating the obvius) or give it a twist....elemental locust?? xD just an idea...

dab

dab

Level 10
Now, what im thinking is a spellbook, where you have the rune spells/icons, but theyr require upgrades before activating, like even tho you have the spell Web, you cant cast it before you got the upgrade. I am then thinking of adding it in that way, so the player alwasy knows which runes he has. The runes are ofc supposed to drop in then map, but as rewards(ex: you pick up gold sack, and you get gold), so that once you've picked it up, it is not a item, but a pure upgrade. i might link a map later to demonstrate, right now im creating the cursor.

EDIT: Map. Has only two runes, Multistrike and Striking. No spells are created, as i am just giving a demo of what i think would be a idea.

Attachments

• Runes Demo.w3x
    18.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Level 17
I dont think we should talk about how we will make the system in the map.
This was more to talk about the actual system for the game becouse im pretty damn sure that we will use the system i have up in my head when i have time and feel like making it, lul.

dab

dab

Level 10
I dont think we should talk about how we will make the system in the map.
This was more to talk about the actual system for the game becouse im pretty damn sure that we will use the system i have up in my head when i have time and feel like making it, lul.
Yeah, your right. Especially the multistrike for Firebomb :grin: Before it was "BOOM! Enemies dead", now it gonna be like "BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! WTF? Wheres all the mobs?:eekani:"(or atleast that is how i understood that movie)

Level 30
hmmm... If not the full rune-system, we could always create our own version of it :) For example, on the skill tree we could have a little socket next to certain spells where a rune could be dropped :p Depending on the rune, the spell could be slightly different :p

If we had 3 rune types, it just means we would have to make 3 variations of the major spells :D

Just an idea ;)

dab

dab

Level 10
hmmm... If not the full rune-system, we could always create our own version of it :) For example, on the skill tree we could have a little socket next to certain spells where a rune could be dropped :p Depending on the rune, the spell could be slightly different :p

If we had 3 rune types, it just means we would have to make 3 variations of the major spells :D

Just an idea ;)

Sounds great. If you implement that, we would have a whole new game.

Level 16

Just an idea ;)

Yes, that sounds really nice :D

Level 2

Just an idea ;)

That would be nice indeed :) It means that you actually implement a tech/skill tree, too? Adding this beneath your full screen inventory, this would give the players a way new chance to have an individual character and it increases the replayability!

I'm so excited about this :grin: Hopefully it won't make the save codes explode ...

Level 30
That would be nice indeed :) It means that you actually implement a tech/skill tree, too? Adding this beneath your full screen inventory, this would give the players a way new chance to have an individual character and it increases the replayability!

I'm so excited about this :grin: Hopefully it won't make the save codes explode ...

I think we're abandoning the idea of having save/load codes :p Its just not feasible xD As you said in your post, the codes would be huge making them awkward :S

However, While hero-saving might not be possible, I may implement some sort of "Rank" system :D e.g. a higher rank could give access to some extra abilities etc :)

Theres no plans yet though so im all open to ideas :)

Level 17
I think we're abandoning the idea of having save/load codes :p Its just not feasible xD As you said in your post, the codes would be huge making them awkward :S

However, While hero-saving might not be possible, I may implement some sort of "Rank" system :D e.g. a higher rank could give access to some extra abilities etc :)

Theres no plans yet though so im all open to ideas :)

I gonna make a kinda off-topic reply now but...
About the save/load system.
We could save status things like this:

Kills (just for fun :p)
Revives (using an item to ress)
Deaths (Kinda cool to archieve good rank with low death nr.)
Most used hero
Least used hero
Finished runs (playing through the map)
PvP Kills/Deaths

Also, if we use a system to save the hero, it isnt much that needs to be saved actually.
List of stuff that needs to be saved:
Level
Hero
Account name (So you cant share the code)
Equiped Items
Save slots - Optional (just an idea, 3 slots in the bag will be different from the others, and that difference is that you save the items in these slots)

That is all you need if im not wrong, and that would make a code that is as long as the codes in all other RPGs, if not shorter.

But i rather save my status then my actual hero becouse it would just be a mess to move the hero over different maps and the status system becouse that is optional

Level 2
Also, if we use a system to save the hero, it isnt much that needs to be saved actually.
List of stuff that needs to be saved:
Level
Hero
Account name (So you cant share the code)
Equiped Items
Save slots - Optional (just an idea, 3 slots in the bag will be different from the others, and that difference is that you save the items in these slots)

That is all you need if im not wrong, and that would make a code that is as long as the codes in all other RPGs, if not shorter.

Well, with implemented skill trees and allocated runes for spells, the save code might not be that short. It really would depend on how big the skill trees are :)

I would be really sad if there's no thing like a save code for your hero, but I understand that it is hard to manage a hero system for more than one map. Just think of the necessary changes for a single update, you would have to fix it in every map. A status system would not have to be updated very often I think, but I'm not sure about that rank like system ... depends on its kind.

A dedicated thread about a rank system could help to get some different ideas together, what do you think?

Level 30
Well, with implemented skill trees and allocated runes for spells, the save code might not be that short. It really would depend on how big the skill trees are :)

I would be really sad if there's no thing like a save code for your hero, but I understand that it is hard to manage a hero system for more than one map. Just think of the necessary changes for a single update, you would have to fix it in every map. A status system would not have to be updated very often I think, but I'm not sure about that rank like system ... depends on its kind.

A dedicated thread about a rank system could help to get some different ideas together, what do you think?

Why not :) I'll make a thread on the suggestions board about it :D Rather than discussing it here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.