• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo IV suggestions & comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
That said, you're a sound guy, right? I'm curious what your thoughts are about this blog.
Anything they put up will help advertise their game and keep players on track.
The sound stuff won't appeal to everyone. For me, it's interesting.
Can't say too much about the ambient stuff since it seems mostly on repeat but along with the visuals, it's really nice.
Generally, I'm more into the music, that's what makes the best atmosphere for me. Sounds I pay more attention to are voices, battle and special effects related. In a game like Diablo, the ambiance is rarely silent, so to speak, so you don't really have time to relax your ears on that kind of audio experience.

Level 11
"C'mon, guys, don't you have soulstones?" /plunges a rock into his forehead.

If the suspiciously low system requirements are true, the PC version will support Windows 7! I'm going to give it a try once the game's released. It's f2p, so even if it turns out utter garbage, there's nothing to lose, I guess.

Level 11
So, I played a bit of Diablo Immortal today (on my PC).

As I expected, it's a simplified variant of Diablo 3 (which is already more primitive than D2), and at this point I can safely call it an arcade game. You can make very few choices regarding your progression, and the whole thing often feels like a guided tour.

For anyone who played a Diablo clone on PC the tutorial part in the beginning will be annoying. It gets a bit better once you've accomplished the first major quest, but there's another thing that some players like myself will find irritating: the "massively multiplayer" aspect. The starting town of Wortham is a hub, where you can interact with other players. You can simply ignore them, but whether you like it or not, your screen will always be cluttered with player characters and their names. Moreover, once you're out of town, you will encounter players who will be hunting the same monsters you're trying to kill. Well, at least they can't take your loot...

I liked the voice acting though. Michael Gough is back as Deckard Kain.

There are some good-looking locations and the general quality of art is pretty solid, despite being generic (something I've never thought I would say about a Blizzard game...).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
it's a simplified variant of Diablo 3 (which is already more primitive than D2)
In what way was Diablo 3 more primitive than Diablo 2? Last I played Diablo 3's path finding, visuals, mechanics and scale were all vastly better than Diablo II. The only aspect that 2 is still superior than 3 is balance, especially with Resurrected, as numbers are not inflated literally to hell and back to the point your brain and eyes bleed.

There are some good-looking locations and the general quality of art is pretty solid, despite being generic (something I've never thought I would say about a Blizzard game...).
Given it is a mobile game this might be limitations with the medium. Although phones are capable of some pretty impressive graphics now, as a developer you would be stupid to push them since not only would it limit which model of phone can play the game, but also murder the battery life of anyone who can play it while playing it. More battery life means more opportunities for people to play your game rather than complaining it murders their battery life and instead playing candy crush.

Of course this will mean the visuals look very poor or limited on a PC or console as those are usually not engineered with battery life particularly in mind.

Level 13
I played Diablo Immortal yesterday and I have to say it's a very very good game. I was really impressed. Definite recommend.

Level 14
In what way was Diablo 3 more primitive than Diablo 2? Last I played Diablo 3's path finding, visuals, mechanics and scale were all vastly better than Diablo II. The only aspect that 2 is still superior than 3 is balance, especially with Resurrected, as numbers are not inflated literally to hell and back to the point your brain and eyes bleed.

Given it is a mobile game this might be limitations with the medium. Although phones are capable of some pretty impressive graphics now, as a developer you would be stupid to push them since not only would it limit which model of phone can play the game, but also murder the battery life of anyone who can play it while playing it. More battery life means more opportunities for people to play your game rather than complaining it murders their battery life and instead playing candy crush.

Of course this will mean the visuals look very poor or limited on a PC or console as those are usually not engineered with battery life particularly in mind.
While it is true that the path finding, the visuals and the gameplay are really good, D3 is lacking in one point: its terrain generator is too heavily based on big prefabs which means that players doing many new games will not encounter as much variety as they would in older diablos. Unless you are one of those D2 players who wants to keep the same map and do runs over and over in the same map. (Which D2 lets you do unlike D1)
I certainly hope D4 will have a terrain gen that is less based on big prefabs than D3.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

Level 11
In what way was Diablo 3 more primitive than Diablo 2?
If I were to summarize my biggest gripes in a few words, I'd say that Diablo 3 does not allow me to make mistakes in my builds. Do I need to explain what I mean by this?

You know, I enjoyed the game for the first play-through and a couple of Adventure mode runs, but core game mechanics do not provide it with the same level of replayability as Diablo 2 or 1. D1 is in many ways a classic roguelike with a graphic shell, so it has high replayability by default. D2 improved upon the formula in every possible way (except for the atmosphere and tempo... D2 with its pace felt like a safari, while in D1 you were slowly descending into depths of horror and madness).

Anyway, back to DI. I've played the game some more and I think that I'll probably finish it through - unless there are some hardcore bosses I won't be able to beat without investing real money and/or joining a warband (a player group). Currently, I still haven't felt the need to buy anything in the shop. I'm level 24, by the way. Do things get ugly on higher levels?

Level 13
Tbch, these "reviews" are 100% inaccurate. I've been playing it for two days now, killed the Countess, on max graphics, on my old phone (2018), and have yet to encounter a single bug. Graphics are stunning.

If anyone ever told me I'd be doing free marketing for Blizzard, and for Diablo Immortal out of all, I'd laugh my ass off. But here I am.

Level 13
I've been praising DI, however it does have a downside. It's the fact that it's an MMORPG and doesn't really "feel like" Diablo. You can do everything on you're own. However, when you're on the outside, you'll be surrounded with other players all the time. It is interesting in the beginning. But, once you progress, it starts to piss you off.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If I were to summarize my biggest gripes in a few words, I'd say that Diablo 3 does not allow me to make mistakes in my builds. Do I need to explain what I mean by this?
Diablo II Resurrected has fixed this. They are working to remove a lot of trap talents and, gasp, actually allow build variety. Throwing barbs might actually be worth something!

Even then Diablo II (and as such Diablo II Resurrected) support respecing. The respect functionality was added late in the life of Diablo II though, around 10 years after release.

Combined with the balance changes happening in Resurrected there should not be any "trap heroes" like there was originally. I mean lets be honest, unless you played a Sorceress or Paladin you were playing Diablo II wrong. Sure you could do it with other heroes if you love pain and suffering, but those two were just so much above all others.

Level 11
Even then Diablo II (and as such Diablo II Resurrected) support respecing. The respect functionality was added late in the life of Diablo II though, around 10 years after release.
In D3 you can switch your build on the fly, it's not the same thing as respecing. However, as far as I remember (haven't played D3 in a while) you can respec your Paragon.
I mean lets be honest, unless you played a Sorceress or Paladin you were playing Diablo II wrong.
I know little of the "right" way to play Diablo II. In fact, I never read any guides and never looked up recipes for the Cube on the web. Sometimes you can hit a wall with your build if you don't know what you are doing, that's true, but this is a part of DII's appeal for me: you need to experiment and actually put some thought into your character development. The last time I played, my "unbeatable" Necro and his skeleton gang were repeatably smashed by Diablo in his domain. Fun times :)

Nevertheless, I understand that many players are in fact frustrated by this very aspect of the game and why they prefer Diablo 3 to DII.

They are working to remove a lot of trap talents and, gasp, actually allow build variety. Throwing barbs might actually be worth something!
Well, isn't that called balancing?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In D3 you can switch your build on the fly, it's not the same thing as respecing. However, as far as I remember (haven't played D3 in a while) you can respec your Paragon.
Yes Diablo 3 does support respecing. It was designed with a much more casual "modern" mind set. You cannot respec on the fly though, only when out of combat to avoid exploits (which did used to exist...).
Well, isn't that called balancing?
It only took them 22 years 🙃

Level 20
There's a very decent chance that the Diablo 4 team will have a major announcement during today's Xbox showcase. The 5th class or even beta start date kind of major. To back up that last one, supposedly beta signed ups have just went live: Diablo 4 beta sign-ups go live ahead of the Xbox showcase

P.S. If you want to catch it live, the event starts at 7 p.m. CET.

Last edited:
Level 13
There's a very decent chance that the Diablo 4 team will have a major announcement during today's Xbox showcase. The 5th class or even beta start date kind of major. To back up that last one, supposedly beta signed ups have just went live: Diablo 4 beta sign-ups go live ahead of the Xbox showcase

P.S. If you want to catch it live, the event starts at 7 p.m. CET.
Tbh, DI kinda killed my hopes for D4. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like DI, really good game for your phone... but for your phone, that's it. The fact that it's an MMORPG and that you're surrounded by other players most of the time doesn't make it feel like Diablo, and the players piss you off more often than not. It's OK for a phone game, but not a for a "real" Diablo game.

Level 20
The 5th class is the Necromancer, the game will release next year.

New blog post:

Necromancer trailer:

Gameplay trailer:

Last edited:
Level 20
I have to say, though, they weren't kidding about returning to being dark - what they've shown so far is proper Diablo stuff. Great.

The graphics look really, really good. I hope that they manage to make the gameplay as fun as D3's while having better, deeper systems to play with.

One thing I'm not sure about is the shared world stuff. Like, I don't mind seeing other players or doing an occassional world boss with strangers, but I prefer to play aRPGs solo and I genuinely hope it's possible in D4. Still, even if the game is too multiplayer for me, thus far it looks solid enough to play, even if just to go through the story and experience the world. So yeah, I'm quite convinced I'm gonna buy this*.

*Mandatory-Blizzard-disclaimer: Assuming they don't ruin the game with monetization and whatever beta they have looks good.

---

UPDATE: Adam Fletcher, the lead CM on Diablo had this to say about monetization:

Last edited:
Level 13
Barbarian -> straight out of D2;
Sorceress -> straight out of D2;
Druid -> straight out of D2;
Necromancer -> straight out of D2;
Rogue = Amazon + Assassin -> both straight out of D2;

Level 13
One thing I'm not sure about is the shared world stuff. Like, I don't mind seeing other players or doing an occassional world boss with strangers, but I prefer to play aRPGs solo and I genuinely hope it's possible in D4. Still, even if the game is too multiplayer for me, thus far it looks solid enough to play, even if just to go through the story and experience the world.
Have you played DI? It shows how the game will function with this stuff pretty well.

Level 20
Have you played DI? It shows how the game will function with this stuff pretty well.
A little bit, yes. Not enough to have a proper opinion, but my impression was that the shared world in Immortal is... uhm, not great. That said, DI is a MMO-aRPG and Diablo 4 is an aRPG with shared world, so hopefully they handle the multiplayer aspect better.

Ultimately, what it really comes down to for me is whether I can play through the story without having my immersion ruined by other players. Like, I don't mind fighting an occassional world boss with strangers or seeing people in town, but if there's an important story moment, I want to be alone. After that, I genuinely don't care as long as spawn rates are decent enough that being in a populated area doesn't screw with my ability to do stuff.

Last edited:
Level 20
Lipstick punk hair necromancer. Ugh.
Luckily if you want to play a Necromancer, you're free to make it look differently. Not that it matters much given that you'll be wearing armor and the game uses a top-down camera, so chances are that you won't even see your character all that much.

Many FXs look blurry and as if videos running over the main video (the game).
I've rewatched it and I didn't get that impression. As I've said, to me the graphics look great, but if something's off then maybe it's some quirk with Youtube / video. Ultimately, we won't really know until the beta is out and we see people actually playing the game instead of pre-produced trailers.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Luckily if you want to play a Necromancer, you're free to make it look differently.
Anyway, the showcase is incomparably weaker to the one for the Rogue. This, necromancer one, was quite generic, a bit immature, even the skeletons acted like the werewolves making King Kong chest punching growls.
I've rewatched the trailer and I didn't get that impression.
Yeah, many look like blurry smoke, dust particles, even rocks at times. It's weird.

Level 20
Anyway, the showcase is incomparably weaker to the one for the Rogue.
This I agree with - out of all trailers they've shown thus far, I think the Necromancer was by far the weakest.

Yeah, many look like blurry smoke, dust particles, even rocks at times.
I'm trying really hard to see it, but I genuinely can't. Could you point me to any specific example, preferrably one that's particularly visible?

Level 13
Anyway, the showcase is incomparably weaker to the one for the Rogue. This, necromancer one, was quite generic, a bit immature, even the skeletons acted like the werewolves making King Kong chest punching growls.
Yeah, the Necromancer in the trailer looked more like a character from Diablo Immortal than previous characters and trailers from D4.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Could you point me to any specific example, preferrably one that's particularly visible?
For instance, the nova FX he throws, I understand, it's a wave but then every long swing makes stuff look blurry like it's heat there or something. And look at some of the grass, it just looks unfocused upon or something.
anima.png

Same with explosions or particle emission. The dust FX here might be a thing of the bear stomping in general as probably it doesn't look different on snow:
anima.png

For instance, this fire thingy doesn't look natural and more cartoony than what's around it:
anima.png

I feel as if much of the game FXs are filled with blurry/blurring waves.
anima.png

Level 11
And people thought Barbarian was a given in Diablo. Seems Necromancer is also playing for 3/3.
I hoped for a warrior/crusader/paladin archetype :/

This, necromancer one, was quite generic
They've made a generic one, but you can still create your own. If D4's customization options are as good as those in DI, than we won't have to worry about this matter.

Besides, the gameplay trailer above shows a bit of what's possible with the editor. Looks promising.

Level 11
It seems that no modern "triple A" game can handle a bunch of corpses that do not disappear. Once again there will be abstract red chunks instead of bodies for the Necro to play with :/

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It seems that no modern "triple A" game can handle a bunch of corpses that do not disappear. Once again there will be abstract red chunks instead of bodies for the Necro to play with :/
Looks like there are corpses that ragdoll around? Just the abstract red chunks are UI hints for the players to know where corpses are located for targeting abilities at.

It is likely impractical to have ragdoll corpses be the target since the results for ragdolls are likely locally calculated to incorporate low latency physics and so subject for variance between clients. This is a common issue for multiplayer games that try to use computationally intensive non deterministic physics.

It is more a case they could either have ragdolling corpses or corpses piling up on the floor and they decided to go with ragdolling. Diablo II went with corpses piling up on the floor instead.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Off-topic but somewhat meaningful.
So, I don't quite remember it to be the way it is now, being limited to a certain amount of likes on the Blizzard forums. Feels like it's somewhat similar to how Immortal handles things, creating incentive for using their stuff.
Thus, I stopped giving any post likes/heart clicks on the Reforged forums entirely.

Hope you guys are doing fine and that we won't get a crappy corporatist game out of Diablo IV :sad:

Level 20
So, the F&F Alpha/Beta has already started, but as typical for that sort of tests, everything is under NDA. There were some minor leaks, though:

It's nothing spectacular - mostly some low resolution images of the game menus / customization options. Oh, and the test version weighs 70 GBs.

It's also nothing really surprising - Diablo 4 is going to have "smart loot", e.g. if you play a Barbarian, you're going to get mostly gear for Barbarians, not Rogues, Necromancers or Druids. And trading... well, it's very limited.

---

Another bit of news is that there supposedly was a survey about monetization:

So... The good part is that it seems they won't be doing any pay-to-win or pay-for-convenience bullshit, but the bad part is that they're going quite far with their monetization plans. Like, you have to purchase the game (and expansions), but you also have cosmetic microtransactions (basically everything you can think of - wings, gear, weapons, mounts, mount armor, etc.), special store currency called "platinum" and a cosmetic-only battlepass.

Oh, and they're considering various game editions, some of which cost more than 100 Euro and / or give you a 7 day early access.

---

My take? The menus / character creation stuff looks "meh" at best, but I'll concede that since this is an early test version, we might get better looking menus and more customization options before the game comes out. I think smart loot is good and I genuinely couldn't care less about trading.

And as for the monetization... Obviously I think it's way too much and I'm not happy about this, but then - I expected Diablo 4 to be very heavily monetized, so I'm not surprised. I'll just steer clear of the shop and if that means my character's outfit sucks balls then whatever. As long as not spending money doesn't screw up my gameplay experience and the game itself is decently fun, I can live with their monetization plans.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I remember playing Diablo 2 as a kid and thinking just how cool the trading/loot system was. Bartering with people and showing off your findings, you could be the owner of a one of a kind rare item that nobody else in the world possessed. That being said, the trading experience in that game wasn't perfect. You could only play with 8 players at a time and had to awkwardly huddle around the Act 1 stash to do so. Those limitations made me wonder how future Diablo titles could improve upon this concept. One idea that came to mind was a trade bazaar in a setting like Lut Gholein where 100's of players could setup shops to showcase and trade their loot. A bustling market filled with immersive player interaction and exciting discovery.

Now with Diablo 4 those limitations are gone and a massively improved trading system is possible, but unfortunately it sounds like we aren't getting anything close to that. Instead, we're getting Smart Loot and limited trading, which to me screams a lack of understanding of what made Diablo 2 so great in the first place. How can you make a game that is entirely about loot and cut out TRADING? It blows me away, it's like removing the jumping mechanic from Mario, or getting rid of the demons from Doom, I don't understand a design choice like this.

Smart Loot also tells me that the item system itself is going to suck. They'll use the same horrible system that was used in Diablo 3 with primary attributes and a severe lack of affix variety. Items will be unbalanced and most items won't have a purpose besides scrap material (puke). I have a hunch that the reason they renamed Unique items to Legendary in Diablo 3 was because they were admitting that there was nothing unique about them. It was almost like a Freudian slip or something.

My rant continues! To go into greater detail on why the item system was so shit, here's a list of terrible changes going from D2 to D3's item system:
1) Cut the number of item affixes in half (if not more).
2) Added primary attributes to classes which were needed in order to deal damage. If an item didn't have your primary attribute then it was automatically trash.
3) Made Unique affixes a billion times better than anything you could find on a non-Unique item. RIP item variety.
4) Failed to make non-Unique items roll more powerful affixes which would allow them to differentiate from one another.
5) Removed any need for Normal/Magic items by scrapping Runewords and most crafting options.

This resulted in Normal, Magic, and Rare items being completely useless and resulted in the death of the trade system. It also severely crippled character customization due to the lack of choices since anything that wasn't a unique Barbarian weapon was objectively worse for your Barbarian because it didn't have "Barbarian's Whirlwind skill deals 10000% more damage". This killed any opportunity for the player to actually use their brain and be rewarded for their extensive game knowledge.

And it's not like they don't have the blueprints for success right there... They've just got done remastering D2 for fucks sake so why the lazy design choices? My conclusion is that they're not up to the challenge of creating and managing a game of that caliber. That and more realistically because they'll sell more copies by making the game so easy your grandmother could play it. Big green number = good, red number = bad. Dumbed down for the masses and stripped of any depth and meaningful decision making.

OH WELL. That aside, I imagine Diablo 4's action packed gameplay will be good fun and that will carry the game for the most part. It's just a shame that they're unwilling to tap into the endless amount of potential there. The game could have both awesome gameplay AND solid RPG mechanics, but I suppose that's too much to ask for.

Last edited:
Level 13
Honestly, after they've revealed all the classes, and showed content, and revealed that D4 brings pretty much nothing new to the table, and is essentially an HD version of D2 (or D3 whatever), I've lost interest in it significantly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Now with Diablo 4 those limitations are gone and a massively improved trading system is possible, but unfortunately it sounds like we aren't getting anything close to that. Instead, we're getting Smart Loot and limited trading, which to me screams a lack of understanding of what made Diablo 2 so great in the first place. How can you make a game that is entirely about loot and cut out TRADING? It blows me away, it's like removing the jumping mechanic from Mario, or getting rid of the demons from Doom, I don't understand a design choice like this.
If you played Diablo III before RoS it is kind of obvious why. This is also why a lot of games do not allow trading, while the ones that do are degenerate for it or expect to make money from it.

Basically robots ran rampant farming loot for trade on the AH, RMAH and third party sites. When cheat detection finally had those under control the companies moved to using cheap/forced labour from third world countries instead of robots to farm loot. All the best gear ended up in speculator hands which then sold it off to rich kids on third party websites where such high end loot was selling for over $500 a piece. Normal players could not get any good gear because to try and make an economy the drop chances were kept low so self-finding was not possible. Then there were all the hackers trying to gain access to players accounts so they can empty them of all their hard earned loot and flog the stuff off for real money using third party websites before the original owner could recover it.

When WoW and D3 removed trading of late game gear account hacks, phishing and advertisement attacks dropped massively across BattleNet. Normal players could also progress in D3 since drop rates were buffed and smart loot added. Most Diablo III players from the time liked the change since they fell into the "normal" players who were not pay to win so struggled to progress.
Smart Loot also tells me that the item system itself is going to suck. They'll use the same horrible system that was used in Diablo 3 with primary attributes and a severe lack of affix variety. Items will be unbalanced and most items won't have a purpose besides scrap material (puke). I have a hunch that the reason they renamed Unique items to Legendary in Diablo 3 was because they were admitting that there was nothing unique about them. It was almost like a Freudian slip or something.
The itemisation changes to Diablo III were made very late in development. When I was playing the invite only beta the items initially were much more Diablo II like and even changed every 2 weeks or so. This is also why attributes like single resistances and element damage types were kind of pointless and deprecated since no monsters really used immunity (expect 1 in RoS which was added as an Easter Egg to literally be Immune to Fire in reference to Diablo II) and elements being a parallel armor meant that all resistances had more value as it literally acted as armor to reduce damage.

Itemisation as a concept is very difficult as you need a fixed sort of progression otherwise you end up in the silly Diablo II situation where until you create 1 of the few viable late game items you are using some cheap shop brought wand or staff because it is infinitely more available and better than all those "unique" wands and staffs that drop because it gives you useful skill rolls. Diablo III kind of fixed this during RoS and was doing well until stat inflation caused everything to become a loot explosion of legendary tier items.

1) Cut the number of item affixes in half (if not more).
As mentioned above this happened late during development just before release. Items had a ton of affixes including bonuses to skills, bonuses to spell damage, on attack/hit effects e.t.c. until then. I suspect they just cut most of the "useless" affixes since otherwise that is basically artificial padding.
2) Added primary attributes to classes which were needed in order to deal damage. If an item didn't have your primary attribute then it was automatically trash.
Again this was done very late into the development of Diablo III during the beta testing. Originally the Wizard class abilities relied entirely on item affixes for scaling as they were not based on weapon damage or primary attribute. Primary attributes did not exist with each level up granting you a variety of different attributes (Attack, Precision, Defence and Vitality). The ratio of the stats was likely class specific and that likely was involved in choosing the different primary attributes for the classes.

I suspect those original attributes were dropped because logic dictates that the only good one is attack. More damage is always better. Hence they needed to tie the same damage scaling to every class and so adopted a Warcraft III style primary attribute system to raise damage. This also tied into all abilities being made to scale from "attack damage" rather than their own scaling systems to help progression and not make the rolls of your spell damage buff on your items carry you no matter how low quality the items are.

3) Made Unique affixes a billion times better than anything you could find on a non-Unique item. RIP item variety.
4) Failed to make non-Unique items roll more powerful affixes which would allow them to differentiate from one another.
This only happened during RoS when unique items were given basic affix rolls that are larger than what rare items could obtain. This was to give purpose to unique items since at release unique items were mostly useless due to not scaling to level and rare items entirely dominated the meta. In the run up to RoS the first legendary overhaul made some items, like Skorn, worth using but still the meta was very much dominated by rare items.

This change was to give clear item progression with legendary and set items being the best, as they were also the most rare. This worked well during early RoS since they were still actually quite rare to find. However as stat inflation happened enemies started exploding them everywhere to the point that yellow items were nothing more than annoying screen clutter.

The insane legendary affixes we have now of +100,000% blah are just a result of stat inflation. Instead of nerfing to keep everything around a "normal" they decided to keep buffing everything until now numbers are meaningless and you either one shot enemies or never can kill them.
5) Removed any need for Normal/Magic items by scrapping Runewords and most crafting options.
This was one way they could have taken the meta. However as Diablo II showed you either end up with the best in slot being a rune word, or a unique item with a few exceptions where a magic wand offers better skills.
They just got done remastering D2 for fucks sake so why the lazy design choices?
Blame the Diablo III maintainers for deciding to keep adding 0s onto the end of everything. Originally the item sets added like +50% whirlwind damage but because they accidently made another set OP they had to keep adding 0s until they all ended up at around the same GR tier. I mean they could have nerfed the other classes to lower their maximum GR tier but I guess "big numbers good".

I just hope there is some sort of PvP aspect as that should at least force them to try and keep numbers sane. Instead of a Wizard being able to OHKO the tankiest player 10,000 times per hit...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I don't care about robots. Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 remastered function perfectly fine despite the fact that they're plagued by bots. There will be people that take advantage of the systems of a game like this, and what do I say to that? Who fucking cares. If some idiots want to buy their way to success so be it. It was never an issue in the past and it really isn't an issue today.

Look at a game like Path of Exile, it gets by just fine and that's a modern day ARPG with a trading system identical to Diablo 2s. It's something that only matters if your prerogative is $$$. Nobody that actually cares about their video game is upset that their game is so popular that people will go out of their way to "cheat" to make money from it.

Now speaking on items, Diablo 3 failed in every aspect. The game released with "Legendary" items being worthless, then RoS turned them into "Best in slot", to me both outcomes were equally horrible and lazy. The game design went from bad to bad, nothing changed. You can only bandaid fix a fundamentally flawed system so much.

It's unfortunate but we were spoiled in the past with awesome game developers who had visions for amazing games. Now we just get lazy garbage which the original devs would disown if they gave enough fucks to even pay attention to it. It's these high expectations that give Blizzard such a bad name today because they fail to live up to expectations.

The only reason people like me are so upset is because we see zero progress in 20 years. But I get it, it's not the same developers that made D2 who are working on D4, and the D3 developers were in the same boat, but I feel like they aren't even trying. The company owns the rights to my childhood and all it does is butcher it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.