• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo IV suggestions & comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
you seem to follow Diablo news pretty religiously
Well, if having Twitter and checking it from time to time counts as religously then... yeah :D But more seriously - I just like to be in the know, so yes, I'm guilty of checking Blizzard fansites and Twitter every day. Feel free to sue me :D

Diablo Immortal is going to be an MMORPG for mobiles only?
I'm not sure what genre Immortal is, because quite frankly I could not care less about that game, but from what they've said at the infamous "don't you guys have phones" Q&A panel, it would seem that it is indeed just for mobile.

won't have that many character customization
If you mean cosmetic customization then I'm pretty confident that there will be lots of that, but if you mean actual power-impacting customization then yeah, probably Immortal won't be the most complex or deep game out there. But people seem to enjoy even something as basic as Minecraft Dungeons, so that might not be a problem.

I imagine a lot of people will be giving their characters their cannon names
I really, really doubt it.

Level 13
I'm not sure what genre Immortal is, because quite frankly I could not care less about that game, but from what they've said at the infamous "don't you guys have phones" Q&A panel, it would seem that it is indeed just for mobile.
Yeah, I too was a bit disappointed to hear that Diablo is turning into a mobile franchise, but it turned out to be just one game for mobiles. I too thought I wouldn't care a bit, but if it ends up being free, I might just as well install it, mostly cause I wanna see Westmarch(pre Malthael corruption) and Ivgorod.

However, after the backslash, I think it's not just possible, but in fact quite likely, that they'll do something like they did with Hearthstone. A mobile game that's playable on PC.
If you mean cosmetic customization then I'm pretty confident that there will be lots of that, but if you mean actual power-impacting customization then yeah, probably Immortal won't be the most complex or deep game out there. But people seem to enjoy even something as basic as Minecraft Dungeons, so that might not be a problem.
Actually I meant both. I just don't see that many cosmetic customization possible. D3 didn't have cosmetic customization(just the ability to choose gender) and it takes something like 25Gbs, while Immortal probably won't be taking more than 5Gbs, even the most complex mobile games don't, so.....

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
D3 didn't have cosmetic customization
You mean like changing the visuals of your gear?
while Immortal probably won't be taking more than 5Gbs, even the most complex mobile games don't, so.....
Not if it's gonna be on PC.
I might just as well install it, mostly cause I wanna see Westmarch(pre Malthael corruption) and Ivgorod.
Who cares about fillers? That way they could release infinite Diablo games.

I'm waiting for the first Warcraft and then StarCraft mobile game spinoff.

Level 13
You mean like changing the visuals of your gear?
No, I meant every character having the same hairstyle, same hair color, same skin tone, same face. You could only choose your gender. D4 changes this. But if Diablo Immortal in gonna be an MMORPG, well that's a big factor. Imagin having all the same Night Elves in WoW.
Not if it's gonna be on PC.
No, it's still gonna be a mobile game primarily. It might just be playable on PC and added to Battle.net app, the same case as with Hearthstone.
Who cares about fillers? That way they could release infinite Diablo games.
Well I do. One of the cool things in D3 when seeing Caldeum was like, hey so this is the place where D2 Sorceress(and D1 Soecerer, though I never played D1) come from. So I imagine seeing Ivgorod and saying like hey this is where D3(and D1) Monk come from, plus some Russia and Tibet would bring freshness to the world. Same with Westmarch, so this is the uncorrupted home of the Crusader.
I'm waiting for the first Warcraft and then StarCraft mobile game spinoff.
Ever hear of Hearthstone? Lol, Hearthstone would like to have a word with you. And there is also some talks on WoWhead that WoW battle pats are gonna go mobile, but liknked to your WoW account somehow.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
No, I meant every character having the same hairstyle, same hair color, same skin tone, same face. You could only choose your gender. D4 changes this. But if Diablo Immortal in gonna be an MMORPG, well that's a big factor. Imagin having all the same Night Elves in WoW.
I was being sarcastic. Diablo III has some customization, not the one you expected.
No, it's still gonna be a mobile game primarily. It might just be playable on PC and added to Battle.net app, the same case as with Hearthstone.
Sure but for PCs, you need bigger resolution which means the game will need more space unless they use the same game and compress stuff for mobiles while occupying unnecessary space.
One of the cool things in D3 when seeing Caldeum was like, hey so this is the place where D2 Sorceress(and D1 Soecerer, though I never played D1) come from.
I've never heard of Cladeum before Diablo III so I just saw it like a Lut Gholein ripoff... The Zann Esu are in the Eastern Jungles.
Diablo III retconned the map
world map.png
Both the Rogue and the Sorcerer come from the East. The Sorcerer from the Vizjerei clan of Kehjistan (lush forests place; no desert) and the Rogue from the Eastern dunes (probably Lut Gholein zone as seen on the map).

There is no Diablo I monk. Diablo: Hellfire is not cannon.
Also, they have nothing to do with Ivgorod or whatever.... Monk (Hellfire)

Ever hear of Hearthstone? Lol, Hearthstone would like to have a word with you. And there is also some talks on WoWhead that WoW battle pats are gonna go mobile, but liknked to your WoW account somehow.
Hearthstone is a card game. I care less than nothing about it. That's not the kind of spinoff I imagine. Heroes of the Storm fits way better.
For instance, StarCraft: Nova, would be what I'd imagine as a spinoff.

Level 13
Sure but for PCs, you need bigger resolution which means the game will need more space unless they use the same game and compress stuff for mobiles while occupying unnecessary space.
Yeah, but I don't think Hearthstone takes more space on PC than it does on the phones. I think both require some 3,5Gbs.
Both the Rogue and the Sorcerer come from the East. The Sorcerer from the Vizjerei clan of Kehjistan (lush forests place; no desert) and the Rogue from the Eastern dunes (probably Lut Gholein zone as seen on the map).
What? I thought the Rogue comes from Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye, meaning that she comes from Eastgate in Khanduras. She's actually fought in D2 Act I as Blood Raven.
There is no Diablo I monk. Diablo: Hellfire is not cannon.
Also, they have nothing to do with Ivgorod or whatever.... Monk (Hellfire)
Oh, I didn't know that.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Yeah, but I don't think Hearthstone takes more space on PC than it does on the phones. I think both require some 3,5Gbs.
If you play it, you could test it.
What? I thought the Rogue comes from Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye, meaning that she comes from Eastgate in Khanduras. She's actually fought in D2 Act I as Blood Raven.
Yes, east of Khanduras, however the Diablo I manual mentions dunes thus they are probably from the desert, more to the east than the mountains leading to Tristram.

Level 13
If you play it, you could test it.
Tried it, but failed. On my PC it takes up 3,82Gbs. While I deleted it from my cell phone a few years back, when I decided to install it on my PC, so I don't have it on my phone anymore. And to my knowledge Google Play doesn't show the size of the app.
Yes, east of Khanduras, however the Diablo I manual mentions dunes thus they are probably from the desert, more to the east than the mountains leading to Tristram.
Wow, you really seem to have a weird obsession with old game manuals.

Level 13
Just found this and wanted to share, too late I know, but just in case someone hasn't seen it already. Didn't notice it during Blizzcon cause I was busy nagging about Reforged, Warcraft 3 is my favorite Blizzard game Diablo is not, but since I've found it, why not share it.
Highlights to me at least:
  1. Open world won't be randomly generated, but the dungeons will.
  2. There won't be any way points. I just hope that doesn't mean we'll be seeing hundreds of gryphon flight masters chilling around.
  3. It seems you won't be able to kill the big bosses on your own, you'll need to have a group. Does this mean players and classes will have to be divided into tank, damage and healer roles? Will we be seeing an idk Druid with Restoration(healer) skill tree? Or a Barbarian with Protection(tank) skill tree? Not sure I really like this, or if it really belongs in Diablo, but I'll have to wait and see how it works or if it's true at all.
  4. There are new enemies The Drowned. I actually like them a lot, their Ironborn(GoT) vibe. Totally in theme with Vikings raiding Celtic Scotland.
  5. There seem to be lots and lots of skeletons everywhere. I just hope that some of them are placeholders.
  6. Duriel is confirmed back, he'll be taking his best parts from D2, but also be a lord of maggots(new thing). He'll probably be one of the big end bosses, in some way. That means that all the evils from the Black Soulstone are apparently able to come back. Willing to bet we'll be seeing Duriel's twin sister as a big endboss as well.
  7. Judging by their tone, The Butcher is all but confirmed to be back.
  8. Tyrael is back, again judging by their tone, but not necessarily as a narrator, there might not even be a narrator in D4.
  9. Seems we'll be seeing Caldeum again, contrary to my belief, and now it's probably going to be full of demon worshipers.
  10. All but confirmed that Inarius will appear alongside Lilith. I don't know what that means to the story, since in lore both of them were both heroes and villains at times. I just hope it's not the standard cliché story: Lilith is back, she's evil and awakens all evil in the world. She's far too powerful for us, so we have to free Inarius from hell. Inarius is good and awakens all good in the world. We help Inarius kill Lilith, but not before she frees the big three, of witch the big D takes all the power for himself and we have to kill the big D.

Last edited:
Level 20
Just to change the topic a little - this month we're getting a new D4 quarterly developer update. Any guesses what it might be about? :) What would you want?

As for me, I'm going to go with the obvious topic - itemization/customization systems, because the last time they released a blog post, everyone was asking about it :)

Level 13
Just to change the topic a little - this month we're getting a new D4 quarterly developer update. Any guesses what it might be about? :) What would you want?
-Next monster family(quite certain about this)
-Some dungeon and boss mechanic(likely, they seem to know what they want and have this more or less ready to show something)

-Itemization and Customization(seems unlikely, it's the trikiest part in the entire game developement, and tbh I don't think they're 100% sure what they want to do and what they can do about it, but we might get the first glimpses)
-4th class confirmation(what I'm hoping for, though it seems very unlikely before Blizzcon(virtual or not) or some other game convention)

Last edited:
Level 13
Huh, @deepstrasz would you look at this:
According to Game Informer, Sorcerers are going to be a thing. I guess D4 Sorceresses aren't the same Sorceresses as in D2, and they come from Vizjerei Clan rather than Zann Esu Clan. That's awesome news. Honestly imo a male Sorceress was one of the things that was missing from D2 the most.

That also means that the Amazon is quite unlikely to become the 4th class, and that means that the 4th class will either be a Demon Hunter from D3, or a (completely) new Archer type class.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
That's awesome news. Honestly imo a male Sorceress was one of the things that was missing from D2 the most.
They probably did it so they could make a male version. But I don't remember any female Vizjerei though. Maybe the Enchantress (Diablo III), or was she against them? I do not remember.
That also means that the Amazon is quite unlikely to become the 4th class, and that means that the 4th class will either be a Demon Hunter from D3, or a (completely) new Archer type class.
They can probably do the same as with the above making male Rogues.

EDIT:
- oh, they put in the Wizard transformations
- looks too artificially gray

Last edited:
Level 13
Tbh, to me this all looks a lot like sheer speculation. On the June 29th for the 20th anniversary...... Idk, I'm not really convinced.

Even if this was true....Well it sounds like they've outsourced the project, again, which isn't a good thing. And I think that Blizzard is well aware that if they mess up D2R, lots of people are gonna be sceptical at best about D4. Not to mention that they're old rep is gone(and not just cause of Wc3R), but I'm pretty sure that they're aware of this as well.

Level 13
In case someone hasn't seen already:
Diablo IV Quarterly Update—June 2020

Highlights to me:
  • I really like new dialogues with new animation, instead of just portraits and your character being actively in them with all your current gear.
  • The zones are taking WoW's approach of many town hubs with various services and waypoints(that they've said aren't gonna be in game)
  • Mounts are in game! Yeah, for only 60$ you'll be able to ride a grey lama in game (and how cool is riding a grey lama).
  • As for items, idk, they seem to have taken D3's approach with Damage and Armor being the only too traits that matter, idk we'll see.
  • Honestly I find things they say about multiplayer and seeing other players confusing and a bit contradictory.
  • All in all, while they say that they don't want the game to become an MMORPG, they seem to introduce more and more MMORPG elements with every update.
  • EDIT: And the Dark Wanderer is back in some way.(have no clue how did I miss this)

Last edited:
Level 20
From what I've heard, these guys leaked some serious D4 info before Blizzcon... which is relevant because:
Diablo 2: Resurrected to be announced on June 29, 2020 as part of the Summer Game Fest ~ Indie Kings
Aaaaaand... it's dead:

We don't usually comment on rumors, but before this hype train goes off the rails we wanted to clarify that there are no upcoming Diablo announcements in June.

Diablo 2: Resurrected to be announced on Diablo 2's 20th year anniversary, June 29! : Diablo

Level 13
Personal update on D4, that I wanted to share for some reason.

After seeing latest Wc3R patch notes, I firmly decided I won't be buying D4 or D2R or renewing my WoW subscription, or giving them any microtransactions until they re implement Custom Campaigns for Warcraft 3 Reforged and have them playable, no game breaking bugs or lags.

I guess it's my big "Thank you!" to Blizzard for Warcraft 3 Refunded. It won't make any difference when looking at the big picture, but I guess it'll make me feel somewhat better.

Level 13
@deepstrasz can you link me all the Diablo manuals (Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II LoD, Diablo III and Diablo III RoS if there is such a thing), I was wondering if they mention the canon heroes in them.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@deepstrasz can you link me all the Diablo manuals (Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II LoD, Diablo III and Diablo III RoS if there is such a thing), I was wondering if they mention the canon heroes in them.
What canon heroes? Aiden was introduced in Diablo III. There is no Diablo III lore manual. It's on the site:
Diablo III
There, also lie the retcons.

As for Diablo and Diablo II, I've attached them.

Attachments

• Diablo.PDF
    10.8 MB · Views: 129
  • Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.pdf
    894.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Diablo II Manual.pdf
    19.1 MB · Views: 96
Level 13
What canon heroes? Aiden was introduced in Diablo III. There is no Diablo III lore manual. It's on the site:
Diablo III
There, also lie the retcons.

As for Diablo and Diablo II, I've attached them.

I meant that we know that D2 Amazon was called Cassia, Necromancer Xul, Sorceress Isendra, but not the rest.....
As for D3, it seems it wasn't the case like in D2 with group of heroes, but instead it was a lone adventurer, a female Demon Hunter named Valla. Other classes have also gotten their names, genders, and HotS representatives, but they weren't the ones to go after the fallen star, but rather got their short stories to get a depth in the lore and philosophies of that class. I wanted to see do manuals mention any of those things.

Now when we're at it can you link Starcraft manuals somewhere, to have them all on one place. You'll get +rep tomorrow :p

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
No need for rep.
The rest of the Diablo characters you mentioned were probably introduced in outgame material, like books, short stories or something.

Now when we're at it can you link Starcraft manuals somewhere, to have them all on one place. You'll get +rep tomorrow
Can't find the StarCraft-StarCraft II official link for the story anymore. Can't find any .pdf file in the StarCraft II game folder anymore... Maybe it's on the DVDs?

As for StarCraft and Brood War, see attached files. Found the Wings of Liberty manual, I had stored somewhere.

Attachments

• BroodWar.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 84
  • StarCraft.PDF
    11.6 MB · Views: 100
  • StarCraft II Manual.pdf
    18.8 MB · Views: 99
Level 13
Now, with no Blizzcon this year, we might see a D2R announced at gamescom this year. @MasterBlaster any news on this? :p

Tbh, I more hyped about a possible D2R than D4. (I don't really like the whole shared open world, plus mounts which confirms that you'll get a horse, but for just 60$ you'll be able to ride a vicious tiger or a cute lama, or both with a discount for only 100$)

Level 20
Quasi-related, but Blizzard is showing a new WoW animated series and possibly revealing the release date of the next WoW expansion at Gamescom on Thursday, which means that they are going to have some stuff for the event. Not sure if this means anything for D2:R chances, but at least we know something is happening.

Here's the trailer:

Anyway, if I were to guess - if they are going to focus on WoW then I'd say they might not have any other big news, including D2:R, which means that if D2:R is even a thing, we'll probably have to wait for their virtual Blizzcon in warly 2021 to see it. That's going to be my bet :)

P.S. Double posting for visibility :p

Level 13
Quasi-related, but Blizzard is showing a new WoW animated series and possibly revealing the release date of the next WoW expansion at Gamescom on Thursday, which means that they are going to have some stuff for the event. Not sure if this means anything for D2:R chances, but at least we know something is happening.

Here's the trailer:

Anyway, if I were to guess - if they are going to focus on WoW then I'd say they might not have any other big news, including D2:R, which means that if D2:R is even a thing, we'll probably have to wait for their virtual Blizzcon in warly 2021 to see it. That's going to be my bet :)

P.S. Double posting for visibility :p
This isn't really that surprising. I was willing to bet we'll see this at gamescom. They did the same thing ever since WoD for any new expansion. I wouldn't call D2R a big announcement, it's the old game coming back. The big announcement was D4, OW2, new WoW expansion.....so no SC3, everyone act surprised:peasant-jaw-drop:

Since there's no Blizzcon, my hopes and expectations are:
  • WoW - more info on Shadowlands + the first cinematic + more approximate release date;
  • Diablo - more info on D4 and D:I, D:I getting an approximate release date, and hopefully D2R announced;
  • StarCraft - new sc2 co op commander announced;
  • HotS - new hero announced;
  • Hearthstone - don't really care;
  • Overwatch - don't really care, but likely more info on OW2;

Level 20
I think you're expecting way too much, because historically Gamescom hasn't been a huge info dump for Blizzard, maybe with the exception of that one time when they announced a WoW expansion. But then again, they don't have a Blizzcon this year, so they might come with a little bit more.

Still, if they were planning some other announcements then they probably would have tried to get people to watch them through social media posts or whatever and other then the animated series thing, there's been nothing.

Personally... I'm going to be a pessimist and say we'll get that animated series premiere plus Shadowlands release date and maybe some tiny updates to other games.

Level 20
Did a series air at all?
They had series for Mists of Pandaria, Legion and Battle for Azeroth.

Also, that's just some partially animated pictures, not even a cartoon.
Look, I get that you don't like this style and think it's crap, but I like the style and the previous series, which is why I'm looking forward to this one. That's all.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A lot of people do - honestly, you're the first person I've ever seen or heard say that they don't like it, but that's OK too
I just see it as a WiP, a work in between. Either it's animated or a comic, not a hybrid. It's also why I don't like the Reforged background images either because they're a dumbed down version of their original, at least in terms of animation.

Level 20
Either it's animated or a comic, not a hybrid.
You see, here is where we disagree - I don't think it has to be one or the other, I think it's absolutely fine to mix different things together and the fact that these series are hybrids between comics and an animation is exactly what gives them their own, unique artistic style that I find interesting.

But like I said, that's fine - we obviously like different things and that's okay :)

P.S. On Reforged background images - I don't like them either, not because I think they're inherently bad, but because I thought the old, animated backgrounds were amazing and so I've hoped for an HD version of that, which the Reforged images clearly aren't.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You see, here is where we disagree - I don't think it has to be one or the other, I think it's absolutely fine to mix different things together and the fact that these series are hybrids between comics and an animation is exactly what gives them their own, unique artistic style that I find interesting.
Yeah, the unique artistic style of half-ass work.
But like I said, that's fine - we obviously like different things and that's okay
Yeah sure. I just commend actual work unlike that for Reforged for example.

Also, in that trailer, it's a bit tricky telling which character is a man and which is a woman without the voices.

Level 13
It may be crap for you, but I really like their animated series :)
I completely agree. Despite me not liking the SL that much, I'm looking forward to seeing the Uther one. Wc3 scene of his death recreated (like Sylvanas in Warbringers), plus an Archangel coming and making him an Angel, and later turning out to be kinda evil. Sounds cool. And imo, despite BfA being what it was, and Nazjatar being the biggest disappointment in game, imo Warbringers Azshara was one of the coolest cinematics Blizzard ever made.

Level 20
Bad comparison.
I disagree - I think it's a really good comparison, but...

We obviously have vastly different views on art and we like differrent things. My subjective opinion is that this style is cool, your subjective opinion is that it's half-assed crap. I like it, you don't. That's fine. We won't agree on this one, so let's just accept that our subjective opinions are different and move on :)

After all, Gamescom is in a few hours, so... we'll know if they have something Diablo-related soon :)

Level 20
Waiting for your reply about it here.
The WoW thing is happening during the opening ceremony, so if there's something Diablo, it should also be there.

It starts at 8:00 pm CEST (or 7:30 for the pre-show), here's the link if you guys are interested in watching:

---

WoW part is over - obviously they've talked about WoW, they announced the release date for Shadowlands and showed the first short, which I personally thought was amazing. That said, WoW wasn't followed up by any other game. I think it would make sense to bundle Blizzard announcement together, so I'm calling it - no Diablo.

Last edited:
Level 13
WoW part is over - obviously they've talked about WoW, they announced the release date for Shadowlands and showed the first short, which I personally thought was amazing. That said, WoW wasn't followed up by any other game. I think it would make sense to bundle Blizzard announcement together, so I'm calling it - no Diablo.
Yep, I agree. You were right there, likely no Diablo. But it's OK, cause man was that cinematic epic!

Status
Not open for further replies.