• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rune Warrior

Level 19
Rune Warrior

Introduction:
Dwarfs don't go in for magic. Like so many things embraced by humans and their allies it's just much too new-fangled and unreliable, at least from the Dwarfen point of view. Now runes on the other hand, that's a whole different story. Runes have an old power. Their carving is a ritual so refined that the results are as expected as rocks rolling down hill. The keepers of this art are the Rune Warriors, adepts and soldiers who spend their lives learning the language of runes. With their craft they can create effects of stunning power, accosting their foes with the power of the earth itself. They can also harden their allies against the most damaging of attacks, and heal their wounds.

Dwarf runes bind and hold magic, solidifying and stabilizing the power through the knowledge and craftsmanship practiced by Rune Warriors through the centuries. A skilled Rune Warrior can tap into this rune-etched power to call forth all manner of spectacular effects, from restoring life to his allies to calling down wrath and doom upon his foes. Dwarf runes are repositories of raw power, harnessed to a specific purpose by generations of skilled and focused runecarvers. A Rune Warrior is adept at not only invoking these runic powers, but also at engraving runes on his allies' equipment, granting them abilities far beyond their normal grasp. A true master Rune Warrior can even call forth the power of mighty Greater Runes, carving them into the user himself as an anchor for his tremendous powers.

runewar.jpg

Credits: Norinrad for the model and Jigrael for the animations.

Ancient Runes:
Rune Warriors use Ancient Runes to cast spells. An Ancient Rune will regenerate every 2 seconds and a Rune Warrior is able to carry a maximum of 5 Ancient Runes. Nearly every ability will cost the Rune Warrior an Ancient Rune. Because of the quickly regenerating Runes Rune Warriors are excellent for long battles because they will never run out of Ancient Runes. This allows them to become the perfect supporter for any situation.

Playing as a Rune Warrior:
Preparation is critical to your success as a Rune Warrior, as is developing a keen sense of timing and coordination. You can use your runes to protect yourself and enhance your powers, but their strength wanes quickly upon use and you must be ready to reinforce them as needed. Advance preparation makes it easier for you to split your attention between supporting your friends, and assaulting your foes. This division of duty is absolutely necessary in battle. Focusing purely on offense will leave your group mates without support after a short time. Conversely, playing purely a support role will rob your group of a rune-enhanced warrior of significant power

Playing against a Rune Warrior:
A Rune Warrior can be a difficult foe to defeat. The powerful runes he can lay on himself and his equipment can make him a mighty warrior who is very difficult to slay. However, his abilities are primarily defensive or supporting in nature. In a group environment, it is wiser to leave the Rune Warrior for later and go after the heavy damage dealers first. They pose a more direct threat and, if ignored, are likely to tear you apart before you are able to work through the Rune Warrior's defenses and healing powers.

Preview:

Abilities:

Guardian Slam
421732067a2221ab98e2bc0be126bea260c0e65.jpg

Cooldown: 5.00 seconds
Cast: instant (autocast)
Range: Melee Range
Cost: 25 Energy and 1 Rune
Description: Deals Strength * 2.4 frost damage to the target and slows it's attack speed by 25% and movement speed by 50% for 4 seconds.
Lesser Rune of Life
4237514b41037ba61011bf400fea1300d87c913.jpg

Cooldown: 1.00 second
Cast: instant (autocast)
Range: 800 Range
Cost: 8 Energy and 1 Rune
Description: Heals the target for Int*0.8 hit points.
Rune of Destruction
159905329c4c5c217ad06f98d8b228e9c0d765ca.jpg

Cooldown: 1.00 second
Cast: instant
Range: 700 Range
Description: Debuffs the target with a Rune of Destruction; dealing Int*4 fire damage over 15 seconds.
Rune of Mending
15990539481ed65ad7939fab0e918466b6c46319.jpg

Cooldown: 5.00 seconds
Cast: 1.50 seconds
Cost: 40 Energy and 1 Rune
Description: Heals a target friendly unit for Intelligence * 4 hit points and another Intelligence * 3 hit points over 15 seconds.
This effect can Stack up to 3 times.
Rune of the Guardian
15990529a1784d5cf241716f0b90397661de8d44.jpg

Cooldown: 40.00 seconds
Cost: 40 Energy and 1 Rune
Description: Links the target and the caster together. For 6 seconds the link will repeatedly pulse; equally distributing the life of the linked units based on their health percentage.
Heroic Taunt
4223254ddf254f7c78ec1ad9a35c9cc9dc759f8.jpg

Cooldown: 30.00 seconds
Cast: 0.50 cast
Range: 450 Radius
Cost: 35 Energy
Description: Taunts all nearby enemy units and heals the Rune Warrior for Str*3 hit points.
Rune of Haste
159905514df164e2ec7d5fb47d7bf336b66a0dd0.jpg

Cooldown: 60.00 seconds
Cast: instant
Range: -
Description: Reduces the cooldown of Rune of Mending by 4.00 seconds and Runic Smash by 9.00 seconds while reducing the energy cost of both abilities by 50% for 15 seconds.
The abilities above are just a part of the hero's abilities and might change as well.

Last edited:
Level 19
Something I made when I wasn't in the mood of making something but wanted to play this goddamn game!:p

Level 7
Something I made when I wasn't in the mood of making something but wanted to play this goddamn game!:p

Haha you got owned by that ranger :grin:

Back too topic.

I love the "mana" system for each hero. And this is no way like deathknights rune system in wow, lol. Except they are both having runes, but this is in a different way. And NO wow doesn't sucks :hohum:

But wouldn't it be to easy to be a healer if the regenerating is so fast?

Level 19
Haha you got owned by that ranger :grin:

Back too topic.

I love the "mana" system for each hero. And this is no way like deathknights rune system in wow, lol. Except they are both having runes, but this is in a different way. And NO wow doesn't sucks :hohum:

But wouldn't it be to easy to be a healer if the regenerating is so fast?

Nah the mana/action points are fine. Tested ingame so far, and healers even can go out of mana quite fast. We're even thinking of giving healers options to increase their regeneration.

Level 19
Made a preview movie and posted it in the first post of this thread.
Check it out if you like the Rune Warrior.

Level 19
Added some more of his abilities to this post.
Working alot on classes nowadays so I guess this is part of it; revealing some of the abilities. If I only had more time to put more online I would do it, but I'm afraid I have to go offline tonight.
But I'm spending much time on Oakwood once again!