• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Round Table of Arkain

Level 20
Today, my friends, is a happy, peaceful day. Why ruin it with killing innocent forest people? Our purple friends have done nothing wrong, and yet, we are required to kill them... I intend to change that. The dark trolls are a proud and peaceful nation! It's not fair to slaughter them, just because their leader has a pretty amulet, right? Join me, as I continue my pacifism in Arkain, by only killing Korjaha, and no one else.

Level 29
Here is my Faction Tier List.
I took into account several things to make this list: the characters that belong to said faction, the lore behind them, the unit diversity, of how much I want them explored, of how much I want to play them in future missions, etc...

Attachments

• Tier List.jpg
    Tier List.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 65
Level 27
Damn. Poor Aridon and spooky Scarec bois, got sunk to the bottom of the list. Undeads have feelings too (or do they?).

By the way, have there been any community polls before, where people vote on their most/least favorite characters/factions and stuffs like that? Can be fun to see others' opinion and their reasonings behind it, and to see if I'm in the minority or majority.

Level 20
Ignoring the First category which is more of a meme than anything.

This is how I rank factions from top to bottom, I kinda used a mix between how much I enjoyed the factions overall theme/aesthetic, their tech tree and the weight/impact the factions have on the story as a criteria for ranking them.

Edit: One small correction here, skullblade clan is supposed to be A tier not B.

Attachments

• LoAFactionTierList.png
    LoAFactionTierList.png
    386 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Here is my faction tier list.
Can't say I am surprised that an Orc Warlock with Gul'dan avatar has Orcs and Demon Slaves
on top of everyone else. XD
Seeing Golden Guard there is a nice change though!
Today, my friends, is a happy, peaceful day. Why ruin it with killing innocent forest people? Our purple friends have done nothing wrong, and yet, we are required to kill them... I intend to change that. The dark trolls are a proud and peaceful nation! It's not fair to slaughter them, just because their leader has a pretty amulet, right? Join me, as I continue my pacifism in Arkain, by only killing Korjaha, and no one else.
And here I thought pacifist Arkain was going to remain a joke.
Apparently not though I highly doubt that ALL missions can be done that way.
I'll post my faction tier later but, is there a diference between stonelord and hammerfall dwarves?
They're different factions but Stonelords didn't get much screentime compared to the Hammerfalls.

@DD Mikasa: How are Scarec not in the first tier?
@nchp1903: Okay, that last tier made me chuckle.

Level 27
And here I thought pacifist Arkain was going to remain a joke.
Apparently not though I highly doubt that ALL missions can be done that way.
Can't wait until he does Pacifist Bloodbath. Or Siege of Kome.
Okay, that last tier made me chuckle.
I mean, they deserve it. Imagine calling yourself "Dragon Regiment" and still lose to mass airs.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Can't wait until he does Pacifist Bloodbath. Or Siege of Kome.
I think that's close to impossible unless I buffed the allies. :p
Probably more doable than some other missions without allies though.
Depends on the rules, really.
I mean, they deserve it. Imagine calling yourself "Dragon Regiment" and still lose to mass airs.
In their defense, I crippled them for that mission to avoid you getting spammed by their air units.

Level 27
In their defense, I crippled them for that mission to avoid you getting spammed by their air units.
Add Hippogryph or something please :) . I'm too used to mass air and I can't play any other strat and I need a nudge to try out something else.

On an unrelated note, but same mission. Haven't touched the A.I editor a lot yet, but I guess getting them to use their transports properly is pretty hard. Merlon and the boys use transports to destroy my expansion, and then the zeppelins never arrive to pick him back up, leaving his base undefended.

Then again, Human A.I heroes tend to be dumb when I play against them.

I mentioned before, but in 'A Dish Best Served Cold', Blen somehow teleports to my main base, and then dies to Spiked Barricades by hitting too many buildings.

In 'Pride of the Empire', Selior and Zoia destroys my base, then goes for Sasrogarn's without returning to defend theirs.

Level 22
Here's my tier list
My main criteria were how much I liked them as a concept.
I've also left some thoughts in the spoiler tag about why I rated them that way. (will edit a bit later to add explanations for No Rating to B tier)

LOA Tier List.png

Redfist - This may seem like a very weird reason to like a faction, but the main reason I put them so high was because they represent the Empire of Rodan's extreme hatred towards non-humans in its purest form. (or in their case orcs, but you get what I mean)
Unlike the other self-righteous factions in the empire, they don't attempt to hide it and fully concentrate on their goal.
They were also really fun to play even though we only had 1 mission to do it in.

Bloodstone Dwarves - A very progressively minded dwarven clan stuck in a very conservative race was interesting.
On a side note, they also complimented and fit into the Redfist aesthetic very well.

Dark Elves - Calling them a very f'ed up society would be putting it lightly. The reason I like them is that they, in a vacuum, represent Aridon's moral values and everything that's wrong with them.

Ironfist - If you think about it, even while under the Empire of Rodan's allegiance, they were kind of like independent renegades that were allowed to do pretty much whatever they want. Of course, this also helped them when they became actual independent renegades and forged their own path.

Skullblade Clan - In a way, they are like a proto Tribal Dominion, which makes me like them more than most orc clans.

Goldaxe Clan - They were kind of like the Blackthorn before the Blackthorn became a thing. If Maronogin is revealed as being the clan chieftain, I think I'll put them in S, because an ancient and very powerful demon commanding what could be described as ''businessmen'' orcs would be pretty amusing and interesting.

Golden Guard - They were loyal, but were also used because of it and ultimately abandoned. Pretty self-righteous, but very effective when they decided to do what they did what they were never ordered to do - attack.

Wolf Regiment and Ardoz Nexus - Because I like the idea of a crazy science experiment turned into an army. For the Ardoz Nexus, I like how they make their own stuff.

Cliffhunter Clan - Could be described as the Bloodstone Dwarves of the orcs. The reason as to why I put them in A instead of S is because the orcs were on their way towards becoming more progressive (even though it took some time), while the dwarves are still pretty far from it.

Human Kingdoms - I feel like they need a spin-off campaign that takes place long before the First Voidwar took place. Their overall story is interesting, yet not knowing the details makes it hard to put them in the S tier.

Rohir Nexus - The idea that lore-wise and kind of gameplay-wise, some of the living units you could be controlling are actually undead is pretty interesting. I would probably put the Mindslayer Legion here too since they are also an interesting concept which also shares the idea of infiltration.

Elven Kingdom - Putting them so high because of their overall story. Being descendants of the Dark Elves and rejecting Aridon's command to return to the Dead Moutain kind of redeems them. While they were kind of insufferable due to their policies for conflict, they improved in the post-second books period.

Ravaging Fire Clan - Another what could be described as progressive orc clan. Kind of in the low A due to not being as much as the others.

Gnoll Kingdom - Because while enslaved by Zyainor, they managed to take all of their good traits and forge their own society from that.

Blooddrinker Legion - I liked how they were the most ''honourable demons'' for lack of a better word, avoiding intrigue and just dealing with problems directly. Intentionally making themselves seem like fools while actually being quite cunning was also a nice touch.

Ejara Nexus - In a way they were a much more open Rohir Nexus. This also makes them quite diverse lore-wise.

Zirr Nexus - Probably the most peaceful Undead Nexus. They just want to gather knowledge and that's completely respectable.

Hammerfall Dwarves - They represent the good and bad of the dwarves. They're both honourable and united, while also being quite conservative and as all dwarves after the Secon Voidwar, very isolationist.

Bull Regiment and Bloodhand Clan - While Dorbric and The Destroyer are cool characters, their regiments don't have much beyond ''oh enemy, charge them.''

Centaurs - They've gone through some stuff, but outside of that aren't very interesting.

Souleater Legion - The symbolise the typical demonic trait of backstabbing. Also how an upstart (Kersidar) can ruin a very powerful Legion and completely bring it to its downfall even after a much older and more experienced person made it very powerful. (Maronogin)
Now that I wrote that, maybe B would be a slightly more appropriate tier.

Deathbreeze Clan - Excluding their characters, the only defining that of the faction is that they had the best fleet among the orcs, which isn't much.

Grey Guard - The blandest of the Imperial Regiments. Them being what could be called the normality and sanity among the more extreme regiments could put them at a higher rank, though for me it bumps them to a C.

Darkmind Clan - Brutal and vindictive, but not much else.

Demon Slaves - This is a faction that would benefit from a spin-off campaign to explore intrigue in their ranks (or more short stories like ''Guardian of the North''. Currently, they're basically obedient servants of major antagonists.

Scarec Nexus - Not much to say about them here; Flesh - nope, Bones- yep is pretty much everything they're about.

Veterans of the Voidwar - They were basically a sub-branch of the demon slaves that served a good purpose in advancing the story, though outside of Genethas, they didn't really have anything unique.

Retka's Rebellion -People with a heavy anti-imperial sentiment falling for the Empire of Rodan's promises was amusing, though they didn't make a particularly interesting faction, IMHO. Mostly being fodder for the Ironfist and parts of the Imperial army to defeat didn't really help them in that regard.

Daric's Mercenaries - They have a few characters I would like to know more about, but I saw the entire faction as run of the mill mercenaries.

Falcon Regiment - Don't seem to have anything interesting outside of being the ''loner regiment''. I'll probably change my rating by the end of the second book part of the True Story.

Dragon Regiment - I didn't find anything interesting in them outside of thinking their lizards were dragons.

Bear Regiment - I felt they were a much less interesting version of the Wolf Regiment.

Ironthunder Clan - Outside of Lokar, the clan didn't have anything really interesting in it.

Kezzar Nexus - Undead Demons. Don't see anything more unique. Ornasion is at least a pretty cool character.

Splecir Nexus - The blandest of the Undead Nexuses. They don't really have any unique feature outside of being Aridon's elite troops.

No rating - Either they didn't have enough info or were so vast and contained technically way too many factions we haven't seen yet to leave a proper rating (Empire of Rodan)
To elaborate a little further on my first point, I think the Phoenix Regiment, the Forgotten or the Moghtar for example need more backstory (either in the True Story or a spin-off campaign) before they can be given a proper rating.

Progaderas and the Rascal Rats - The icon for the faction disappeared more often than Progaderas got slain by the player, but I didn't forget about them. Probably F, because he just can't win, even here or ever. :p

Last edited:
Level 29
So, I've made a reversed version of Pillage, where we play as Stephanie against Rangul and his allies.

Also, OBS is being mean today, so lots of FPS drop. Too lazy to record new footage though.
This means that:
-Stephanie becomes a heroine
-The Redfist are never created, or at least by Volarian
-Aedale was never born, so Lisara probably stayed imprisoned inside the temple
-Amari and Sasrogarn became orphans, which could have prevented Amari from becoming Bhaarizel's disciple
-The Darkmind Clan was pretty much exterminated
-The orcs probably never united
-The Knights of Korme stayed intact
-Cleavehand's forces lasted longer
-Salria was not conquered
-The Dominion was not formed

In other words, so much could have changed if Stephanie had organized a proper defense force.

Level 27
In other words, so much could have changed if Stephanie had organized a proper defense force.
I also noticed that there's a path west of their house, so lots could have been prevented if she just carry Vanessa on her back and run.

1644074052922.png

It ain't cowardice, however. Because like a wise Protoss warrior once said: "There's no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered."

-Amari and Sasrogarn became orphans, which could have prevented Amari from becoming Bhaarizel's disciple
I'll make Lugnar return in future missions, otherwise these reversed missions will be filled with plot holes.

Now I need to go brainstorm for idea to do Reversed Hunt for Riches. Torn between making Amari a force of mass destruction or a filthy cave abuser.

Level 29
It ain't cowardice, however. Because like a wise Protoss warrior once said: "There's no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered."
There is if it causes your husband to create a genocidal army and make one of his daughters have such an inferiority complex that she allowed herself to be possessed by a demon.

Level 19
Faction tier list here we go:
The S tier are the ones i love because of his lore, characters, gameplay wise or backstory, that´s why Ejara nexus is there, my favourite nexus by far. Also hortnog takes the goldaxe clan right to the top and Redfist... well i dont need to explain it.
The A tier are the ones that i want to play during the true story, a diferent dwarven faction, the variety of elemental orders, the demon slaves or the new ironfist/golden guard for example. Also lorewise Skullblade and Rohir nexus deserved a place here.
The B tier are the ones that gameplay wise i dont like but the rest of the points are nice, the splicer and zirr nexus gameplay wise (for now) is rather weak, i dont like clifthunter clan or elves as playable factions. Also ironthunder dont get to A because of their leader (lokar needs a bit more screen time).
Then i´ll jump straight to SAS tier as i dont want to play as any of these factions (stonelord stays there since i can´t find something interesting about them yet)

fb65b0ef1aef7d5cec37675000ef7202.png

Level 20
How are Scarec not in the first tier?
It seems i have confused Ardoz with Scarec just another of my brain Lags... I dunno why for a second i thought the Blue ogre was part of the cult of bones and anti flesh LMAO...

Also how about we spice this up a bit more and each of us express our opinions on the lower tier factions (Each with his own set of tiers and what would make them higher tier on your guys eyes). I know posting tier charts its fine and all but some more context wouldn't hurt and make this a more engaging debate.

Level 19
Also how about we spice this up a bit more and each of us express our opinions on the lower tier factions (Each with his own set of tiers and what would make them higher tier on your guys eyes).
So you want to explain why we put any faction on the lower tiers?

Level 6
yo, anyone remember that part when Destroyer was suposed to attack Rangul with subjugated clans but instead he didin't?
Was it becouse of that Ishzog the Mad Preacher? Did Ishzog guided by Brian messed up Adrion's plan?

Level 29
yo, anyone remember that part when Destroyer was suposed to attack Rangul with subjugated clans but instead he didin't?
Was it becouse of that Ishzog the Mad Preacher? Did Ishzog guided by Brian messed up Adrion's plan?
No, there are no indications that Brian played a role in it. At best, Ishzog gave Destroyer a little push, but that's about it.

You also have to take into consideration that Brian was not in favor of the orcs invading. He knew that they were doomed to lose and that they would merely make the upcoming demonic invasion easier. He may not like Aridon's methods, but he doesn't want for Arkain to fall at the hands of neither the Demons nor Tregakh.

Level 6
No, there are no indications that Brian played a role in it. At best, Ishzog gave Destroyer a little push, but that's about it.

You also have to take into consideration that Brian was not in favor of the orcs invading. He knew that they were doomed to lose and that they would merely make the upcoming demonic invasion easier. He may not like Aridon's methods, but he doesn't want for Arkain to fall at the hands of neither the Demons nor Tregakh.
I thought Brian liked Orcs since He took Amari as his aprentice.
Also you are right about Destroyer, I forgot that his warrior honor forbid him from betraying Rangul

Level 20
So you want to explain why we put any faction on the lower tiers?
That but more of a what could make them better in your eyes, ofc some factions are irrelevant and are there to simply drive the plot forward but I'd say we focus on the ones that play a more major role towards the storyline

@Championfighter25

I agree on your reasoning on most of the clans but I dont think that Ravaging fire stands out as a progressive clan (they show traits of both progressivism and the opposite)

Centaurs are kinda of a neat concept tho, a peaceful nomadic people who seek to trade and co-exist, nomads usually (if we focus on the real life history) weren't that "peaceful"

Regarding Blooddrinker legion I could be wrong here but wasn't Ornasion the one who had no love for petty politic scheming and not the legion as a whole?

Last edited:
Level 20
Regarding Blooddrinker legion I could be wrong here but wasn't Ornasion the one who had no love for petty politic scheming and not the legion as a whole?
From memory, the ones before him definitely were definitely standard scheming dreadlords but since I think he murdered all those that had higher standing than him when he took power (and he didn't have a very high political standing) and most of the new commanders were probably slaughtered with Ornasion in Lor, not sure the Blooddrinker still has any sort of political Elite.

Level 22
Technically yeah. Thought, since he lead the Blooddrinker Legion for so long (at least a few centuries according to his bio), and there wasn't any evidence to show division or extensive political intrigue in it during the Voidwar ( that we know of, thought that could change with future spin-off campaigns) I think it would be safe to say that a vast majority of his legion had adopter his mindset.

Level 9
So... new tier list template, huh? I don't think I can really have as much fun with it as with the character one, but it's still pretty neat.
By the way, I'm seeing a lot of people ranking these off of gameplay, and I'd be kind of curious to see some do it with the character template (maybe once all the acts are complete, so we get to see these heroes/demi heroes more in action?).

Anyhow, I came up with the idea of trying to find a parallel for these in the actual Warcraft lore. It was a little difficult, but I'm hoping I did an ok job with most of these. Generally, the parallel can be with their history, with their strategies, with their goals, with their themes, with the personalities of the people from that faction, and with their leaders (though this last one is the most rare).
LoA factions - Warcraft factions (2).png

Feel free to tell me about any potential mistakes here. And I'm pretty curious if there's actually a match for the Scarec Nexus and for the Stonelord Dwarves.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I moved a couple from the stream. Mine is a weird mix of both the visual and usability coolness factors while also combined with my personal opinion on how the faction fits in narratively/morally.
View attachment 394566

A fellow Orc aficionado I see!
For people who want to see the reasoning behind this (before the tiers got renamed and adjustments made,
Jay, how dare you not do that on stream!) check this out (I was there too!) :

@CosmicBard I literally do not know enough about WoW lore to properly judge this but the Centaur Marauders in WC3
and the Centaurs of Arkain do not seem to have much in common apart from, well, race.
I think there's some lore stretches there, I know you tried to find ANY connection there, but there's too much different
for many of these picks from my point of view.

Last edited:
Level 27
I literally do not know enough about WoW lore to properly judge this but the Centaur Marauders in WC3
and the Centaurs of Arkain do not seem to have much in common apart from, well, race.
Don't know much about WoW lore either, but from what I can see from the WC3 campaigns, Centaurs are like "tauren bad, kill tauren", whileas Flammedus and his gang are chill (or hot) dudes.

Can see a similarity between Redfist and Garithos though, as each of them is the biggest racist in their own respective universe.

And both die a boring death. Guess they're just a bit too based for their worlds.

Level 9
Centaurs were much closer to the Darkspear Tribe when it came to their personality and role in the story. They were both just chilling in their homes, only to be attacked by angry humans. And then the orcs come and save them and now they're part of the Horde/Tribal Dominion (oh, and they also both had an experienced magic user as their leader). But the gnolls kind of had this role too, so I've associated the centaurs by race rather than personality/story.

I can definitely see how these are a stretch, but I'm not sure if that really could have been avoided to begin with.
If I would say that Stormwind or Lordaeron is like Demacia from League of Legends, then that wouldn't exactly be wrong, as there are a ton of clear similarities between these regions, but there's obviously a lot of differences between them too, meaning that it isn't a perfect 1 to 1 comparison.
It kind of goes like that with character comparisons too. For instance, Rath and Grom definitely have a ton of things in common (immense hatred for humans, 4 letters in their names, reckless/hot headed behavior, their ability to completely screw over the warchief with their dumb decisions, etc), but at the end of the day, they're still different characters and not 1 to 1 copies of each other.

This is definitely a sign of good writing, and one of the things that kept me and a lot of other people interested in Arkain.
It still won't stop me from trying to figure out connections though. It's just simply fun to think about, which is why you can occasionally see people connecting characters from different fictional universes during discussions (Jinx/Harley Quinn is one of the most well known examples here).

Last edited:
Level 20
@Shar Dundred

Apart from race and the fact they are nomads the centaurs of wow from the centaurs of Arkain share no other similarities...Centaurs of WoW are a gone astray offshot of one of Cenarius's son with a earth elemental princess. They murdered their own father in their rage and live only to plunder, kill and raze everything that isn't part of their clan (that includes other centaurs). Appart from looking aesthetically the same (due to the fact LoA is run on the game blizzard created) Centaurs of have nothing in common with the centaurs of wow... As a matter of fact when looking at their rather peaceful approach and the will to co-exist with other races unless they are being threatened by said race. The centaurs of LoA have much more in common with the Taurens (before the latter finally decided to settle down on mulgore and end their nomadic life)

Level 27
Now I need to go brainstorm for idea to do Reversed Hunt for Riches. Torn between making Amari a force of mass destruction or a filthy cave abuser.
Almost done with reversed Hunt for Riches with this one, but apparently, during testing, I realize that me and the A.I don't get along very well.

WC3ScrnShot_020722_085928_05.png

Amari's defense force blocks her attack force, turning them into a big, useless clump.

WC3ScrnShot_020722_085958_06.png

And the Imperial Army is being a complete dick, by blocking Mordin's attack wave.

Also, I know I should have ask Shar beforehand, but I forgot. Are you okay with me editing these weird challenges into your campaign, or even upload those maps for others to playtest them?

Level 27
I've played the modded versions of Starcraft II main campaigns made by Synergy, and then I see that with just a few modifications in the right place, the same old campaign can offer lots of fun and replayability for the next few hundred hours.

That, and I suck at terraining and doodad placing. I can (and already did) snatch a few tricks from Shar while looking through the Editor, but don't tell him that.

Level 27
As @Kasrkin should know, there's a very clear policy regarding this matter.
It is draconian but unfortunately necessary.
Kind of a bummer, but it's your campaign so I respect your decision. Still, I'll do a few more edits with occasional video uploads and without publishing the maps as a hobby, and as a way to entertain myself while waiting for you to release the next chapter.

I also noticed a few typos here and there, so I'll head over to Bug Reports when I'm done collecting a bunch of them.

Poor Sas get stuck with generic Thrall model :)
As long as it fits him, guess there's no need to be changed. Besides, Thrall's model is pretty badass so I think Sas got quite a good treatment already.