• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Rise of the Horde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Terrain looks good and imported models seem to be implemented well. You add a lot of custom content created with the object editor; that seems good, I just hope you don't overburden yourself.

I always like it when the main focus of a campaign is on interesting missions; You seem to have that covered: I like the idea of controlling two children and avoiding confrontation.

I don't like that the intro cinematic will take around 10 to 11 minutes. Unless it is REALLY WELL made I would just keep asking when I can finally start playing. I would trim it down to about 4-5 minutes; probably by removing as many narrator texts as possible.

The loading screen should be better and it's way too clear that it's just unconnected images from different art styles. If you have something like Photoshop you could try the masks or alpha stuff. Not that good myself but I did manage to create this a couple of days ago: http://imgur.com/YmCvGwp

The book is actually my favorite WC book and I have been looking at this thread every now and then. If I had made it would probably not have as much custom stuff, but then again I'm not really in touch with the WC fan base any more (meaning I don't know what's expected of campaigns nowadays). Overall I think the campaign is in good hands.

edit: gave the loading screen a try with a night elf (could not find proper trees quickly) and an roth title: http://imgur.com/hsAHpTm

Your review is very much appreciated man. You were my inspiration in making this. I wanted to be like the next generation you heh. This campaign uses 80% custom models and skins for the overall project.

I already developed ideas with Wolffman about the missions even before we started triggering. We didn't want the typical build units and destroy an enemy base kind of gameplay so we improvised a few quests and explored more options.

The intro cinematic is made with 100% of my efforts. Im just not that good with special effects but I think what I've come up with should suffice. It's actually my style of campaign making to rely on the narrator to express the story fully so the player can easily understand what's going on.

And about the loading screens... yeah those were made by yours truly and sadly Im not really good at making loading screens. I intended to put the icon of the race you're about to play as just like the ones from the original campaigns made by Blizzard. Then I just added a picture of a scene that was about to happen. I didn't really put much effort into it. That was like 5 minutes of work and Im not really good at making these kinds of things.

Anyway thanks so much for the review :) Really appreciate the suggestions. I'll try to trimdown the cinematic and maybe ask someone to make better loading screens for the rest of the campaign.

Cant wait for it i look all the days for updates! good luck

Well thanks :) I'll try to update this as much as possible :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALRIGHT, I'VE GOT SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR YOU GUYS TODAY.
I UPDATED THE CAMPAIGN SCREEN AND THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE NOW.

199714-albums7544-picture96817.jpg

PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Level 3
That loading screen is amaizing!!!
If I understand well, first mission is about Durotan and Ogrim. Sounds interesting :D

Level 12
That's Amazing, How you get this? Or who made this?

A friendly umm... friend (xD) donated it :) not from the Hive though

Wow...Just wow. anyways that green baby orc in the meeting looks cute :)

Wow? Thanks :) lol worked hard on it. The Orc baby was just a reskin of the one here on the Hive.

If you like the style of my loading screens Ask me in about 3 months from now. maybe i'll have time to make them.

Hmm... I'll think about it. Your loading screens are actually very impressive I have to admit.

Very good progress.
But I have a question, why did you give orgrim the hammer in the first place.

I gave Orgrim a "simplified" version of the Doomhammer as a kid. When he was young, he really loved bragging about that weapon and it was someday destined to be his own. As described in the book, Orgrim always carried a handmade simplified replica of the famed weapon.

That loading screen is amaizing!!!
If I understand well, first mission is about Durotan and Ogrim. Sounds interesting :D

5 minutes of work isn't all that amazing really but thanks xD Well duh :p the entire book is about Durotan and Orgrim -.- you gotta be kidding me xD

Excellent progress, good sir.

If there is anything that needs fiddling with the map, send a runner through a series of strange mazes filled with naga to me.

:grin::fp: [RotH]

We're almost moving to the next map. Expect something next week or the week after that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This campaign will rely HEAVILY, and I mean REALLY HEAVILY on cinematics. There'll be a lot of cinematics in the first few maps since I'll be RPG-ish but as the campaign progress, it'll start becoming more like the original WC3 with minimap cutscenes. I'll be posting images tomorrow I guess. I've been really busy packing because of a family vacation trip that's coming this Saturday. I might be gone for a week but that shouldn't stop me from working on RotH.

Level 2
That, and also for people who have to redo a level (like if they forgot to save or their computer crashed while playing) it can be annoying to have to sit through everything all over again.

Level 12
Just make sure you make 'em skipable so lore haters can play for the gameplay alone.
That, and also for people who have to redo a level (like if they forgot to save or their computer crashed while playing) it can be annoying to have to sit through everything all over again.

The first version won't be skipapble yet :p Just so you know, we'll update it with a skippable version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALRIGHT MAGGOTS. ITS BEEN A FEW DAYS SINCE I LAST WORKED ON THE CAMPAIGN. I FINALLY HAVE SOME FREE TIME AND I'LL MAKE THE MOST OUT OF IT. HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS OF THE RECENT STUFF I'VE BEEN DOING.

WARNING: VERY LARGE IMAGES

199714-albums7544-picture96897.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96898.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96899.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96900.jpg

PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES.

Level 28
Looks very, very good. Just two minor things that are debatable. I know Blizzard also makes a list of heroes that "must surive" but with three heroes you might consider saving a bit of space by writing "Durotan, Orgrim and Restalaan must survive".
Don't write "Peacekeeper - Peacekeepers are versatile soldiers equipped for melee combat.". Write "Peacekeeper - Versatile soldier equipped for melee combat."

In any case, if you may just ignore me :) It's only minor stuff.

The first version won't be skipapble yet :p Just so you know, we'll update it with a skippable version
Will the first version be a beta test? Why release something when you know you are going to make certain improvements? Especially with these long cinematics you talked about I am sure people will want a skip option.

Level 12
Looks very, very good. Just two minor things that are debatable. I know Blizzard also makes a list of heroes that "must surive" but with three heroes you might consider saving a bit of space by writing "Durotan, Orgrim and Restalaan must survive".
Don't write "Peacekeeper - Peacekeepers are versatile soldiers equipped for melee combat.". Write "Peacekeeper - Versatile soldier equipped for melee combat."

In any case, if you may just ignore me :) It's only minor stuff.

Will the first version be a beta test? Why release something when you know you are going to make certain improvements? Especially with these long cinematics you talked about I am sure people will want a skip option.

Alright :) I'll be sure to change those

The first version isn't really a beta test. I just wanted to release a version that's not skipabble yet so people could start playing the campaign already then while I work on the next campaign I was planning, I could easily update it with the better updated version. But you do have a point about releasing something right away when I can already make improvements. The thing is, I also want to hear the feedback of the public before I do make improvements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALRIGHT, SO THIS I'LL BE IT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. I'VE TRIED TO IMPROVE THE GAMEPLAY AS MUCH AS I CAN THAT'S WHY I'VE ONLY STICKED TO ONE MAP FOR NOW. I'VE BEEN CHANGING THE TECH-TREE, UPDATED A FEW MODELS, IMPROVED SOME PARTS OF THE TERRAIN, ETC. HERE ARE SOME IMAGES OF THE GAMEPLAY WHEN YOU RECIEVE RESTALAAN AND HIS TELMOR GUARD. HAYATE'S GONNA TAKE A BREAK UNTIL 4/30/15 BECAUSE OF SOME PERSONAL REASONS. IM FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE CHR2 MAKE A NEW DRAENEI UI FOR ME AND IT IS CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS. WOLFFMAN IS ALSO BACK. I COME TO HIM IN TIMES OF DESPERATE NEED. HAWKWING IS ALSO ANOTHER HONORABLE MENTION WHO HAS HELPED ME IN SEVERAL OCCASIONS WHILE TRIGGERING THIS.

WARNING: VERY LARGE IMAGES

199714-albums7544-picture96994.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96998.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96995.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96999.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96996.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture97000.jpg

199714-albums7544-picture96997.jpg

PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES.

Level 15
I must admit, I am utterly impressed mate. Great job. Keep it up! Just few questions from me:
1. Are you going to update the animations of those Draenei warriors (Peacekeepeers?), I remember seeing them in some other maps, and even those models are great and unique, still their animations were... strange?
2. Can we expect to see updated tech-trees?
3. No offense, but you should seriously ask someone to help you whit some of those spells. I mean they are not that bad, but you are going to improve your map for a large margin if you do that!?

Level 42
I must admit, I am utterly impressed mate. Great job. Keep it up! Just few questions from me:
1. Are you going to update the animations of those Draenei warriors (Peacekeepeers?), I remember seeing them in some other maps, and even those models are great and unique, still their animations were... strange?
2. Can we expect to see updated tech-trees?
3. No offense, but you should seriously ask someone to help you whit some of those spells. I mean they are not that bad, but you are going to improve your map for a large margin if you do that!?

Me here, i will polish them and might improve everything but after when i have timr

Level 12
@Mogul, I dont really plan to add triggered spells because that would take a longer time for me to do :p maybe in a future update. The tech-trees MIGHT be posted but still in progress because we're updating a bunch of resources and we dont want spoilers now do we? :)

@Chaosy, I didnt really have enough time to work on that as much as I wanted to. Being a student and all, I've got my limits to gadgets too. Most of the time Im just online on my phone and when I DO get chances to work on an actual computer, it still depends on why Im on the computer and my current mood. Plus Im pretty new at triggering. OutsiderXE is helping out as well as Hawkwing though :)

@Hayate, please DO return soon :) btw Im at Hong Kong :) live near? :D

Level 12
I'm gonna finish this I swear to God. I've just been REALLY fucking busy with real life. I mean my whole life's future depends on the actions that I do now. If I don't finish this, I might just rather submit the model pack to the mod compendium? Or maybe just send it to a select group of friends. Just announcing since some of you still seem interested.

Level 10
I dont think that the models from this project are public .

Hopefully they decide to release a few models seeing as models such as the Ogre Lord or Restalaan are highly sought after on the Hive. There aren't many Unique Draenei or Ogre models on the Hive and uploading them would do great good for the community.:thumbs_up:

Level 39
I'm gonna finish this I swear to God. I've just been REALLY fucking busy with real life. I mean my whole life's future depends on the actions that I do now. If I don't finish this, I might just rather submit the model pack to the mod compendium? Or maybe just send it to a select group of friends. Just announcing since some of you still seem interested.

I think if you don't finish it you should definately release the models to public. Why keep it limited? That doesn't make sense.
But I hope you do finish it. I've always wanted to play a campaign of RotH.

Level 64

If the project is weighing on your mind at such a crucial time in your life, I advise turning it into a model-pack or releasing the maps/concepts for someone else to carry on with in your absence.

Whatever anybody suggests, you yourself know best for what to do with the project.

Level 15
I think if you don't finish it you should definately release the models to public. Why keep it limited? That doesn't make sense.
But I hope you do finish it. I've always wanted to play a campaign of RotH.

I am not trying to offend someone, but I must say, that I completely agree with you. What is the point of keeping models private? (I am not talking about just these models, I am talking general.) Without models on this site, there would be a lot less great maps that we got today. Tomorider's campaign is the one of the best projects ever done, and it would be impossible to make it without models on this site.
People would be frustrated with a lack of models, and that would turn them off to start their projects.
Through all these years I have seen countless epic models for various important characters in WC lore, and some crucial units for some races, and all those models are gone. Because those few guys that had them, couldn't click submit button, because of their huge boner for being one of few guys who has that model...

Level 12
Well , real life takes priority so take your time . You promised you will finish this so its enough , the warchief always keeps his promises ;)

Level 12
While I'm away, I will not release ANY models at all. I only plan to release the resources when I give up on this but that's unlikely since, even though Im having trouble in real life, I still really enjoying making campaigns during my free time.

Level 10
I know I've asked before but I have to ask again; Is there any way to get the Maulgar and Restalaan models? Jesus christ they're too perfect not to share. I'd pay for them tbh.

Level 12
Meh been too busy with Law Proper shit irl. All that philosophy and shit so haven't done much progress here. Pretty sad that it's taking too long heh. I might as well release some of the models maybe just to settle off for a none-cliffhanger situation? Meh not sure if I should release them though as most of those models were made for older projects while some were made through team effort.

Best solution is maybe make up a poll? Yeah make a poll then I might as well upload them but only if there are enough numbers to convince me. Heck if they even skyrocket, might give them to Kam for the project pack compendium.

Status
Not open for further replies.