• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Requisite computer specs to run world editor fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

I've been using the editor on my laptop machine, but going through the data editor and terrain is too slow and gets my machine too hot.

If I switch to a desktop/tower, what are suggested specs to be able to using the terrain/object editor at a fastish pace?

I've got an HP desktop with 8 gb RAM, and some token video card. But I need to make a repair to it to get it going again, and I'd really only want it fixed if I knew for sure it would improve speed with the editor by a good margin.

What are other people's thoughts/experiences?

Level 15
You do know that nothing you listed about that pc tells us the speed of it right ?

Yes I don't have the machine on hand unfortunately. I guess it's a matter of the processor and what else? I know next to nothing about hardware.

But it's a desktop from around 2010~, what specs are needed to run the editor at a fast speed on desktops?

These are the specs for my laptop, and it's quite slow:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
• 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7730M Graphics

Level 29
Basically the 2GB ram is small that can cause wc3 not to run at optimum speed but that is simply size. The speed is the numbers you see after the type or ram. Like mine are 32GB DDR3 2133. DDR3 is the type. 2133 is the speed. DDR3 is also a lot faster than DDR2 and so on.

If you could upgrade the ram on your laptop it would help a lot. If i remember correctly windows 7 takes 1GB and wc3 takes about 150mb
That means at the current time you only have about 874mb free which if anything else is running that is not good.

Level 15
Basically the 2GB ram is small that can cause wc3 not to run at optimum speed but that is simply size. The speed is the numbers you see after the type or ram. Like mine are 32GB DDR3 2133. DDR3 is the type. 2133 is the speed. DDR3 is also a lot faster than DDR2 and so on.

If you could upgrade the ram on your laptop it would help a lot. If i remember correctly windows 7 takes 1GB and wc3 takes about 150mb
That means at the current time you only have about 874mb free which if anything else is running that is not good.

So you are talking about the 2GB card, but the actual system memory? I've got 16 GB DDR3 for memory.

Level 29
So you are talking about the 2GB card, but the actual system memory? I've got 16 GB DDR3 for memory.

Lol ya misread the graphics card.

Both should be perfect for running WC3.

There should be no problem with them.

CPU should be good.

Umm if it is running hot make sure you do not have a broken fan. Also when is the last time you cleaned the inside of your laptop out ? If enough dust gets in it then it can not cool down enough.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
Yes I don't have the machine on hand unfortunately. I guess it's a matter of the processor and what else? I know next to nothing about hardware.

But it's a desktop from around 2010~, what specs are needed to run the editor at a fast speed on desktops?

These are the specs for my laptop, and it's quite slow:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
• 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7730M Graphics

The specs on your laptop should be perfectly fine. Make sure you have the latest video drivers.

How much RAM does your laptop have?

The world editor shouldn't lag any more than the game.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
and gets my machine too hot.
If WE makes your laptop overheat, your laptop has serious problems.

If I switch to a desktop/tower, what are suggested specs to be able to using the terrain/object editor at a fastish pace?
Any x86 complaint processor with clock speed above 2 GHz. A mid generation P4 will work. All modern I5 and I7 processors will work (obviously) and only some very low clock I3 processors might start to have problems due to the lack of clock speed (remember that WC3 and WE are single threaded so benefit from clock speed and not core number).

On top of that at least 2 GB of RAM is recommended so you can have enough free memory left for file cache use so I/O is less of a concern. All modern computers have at least 4GB so this is not a concern for them.

You need a game speced graphic card for terrain editing. Even a very low one will suffice but it needs to at least have some computational power unlike the purely display driver cards as found in most integrated (except modern AMD) cards or on laptops. Something with only 5-10 gigaflops power may struggle, I would advise at least 100 gigaflops for a reasonable experience as some views can be demanding due to the long draw distance and angel. All modern game cards have >>1 teraflop (1000 gigaflops) in power and will effortlessly run WE and only struggle when you zoom out on a massive map.

I've got an HP desktop with 8 gb RAM, and some token video card. But I need to make a repair to it to get it going again, and I'd really only want it fixed if I knew for sure it would improve speed with the editor by a good margin.
What is the graphic card? If it is anything beyond a graphic adapter it will work perfectly.

WC3 is a very very very old game. You will probably find Blizzard porting it to Android and Iphone soon.

Frankly with your laptop it sounds like an overheating problem more than a lack of power.

For object editing remember to disable brush list from the menus on the terrain window. The brush list is stupidly slow and will cause some object editor changes (new object, rename object etc) to take 15-60 seconds to make even on the highest end systems. Disabling it will make such changes instant.

For terrain editing you can adjust view distance with middle mouse button. Do this on very large maps to prevent excessive graphic load. WC3 may have stupidly poor and old graphics, but it is also poorly optimized (DX8 tech) and an RTS so not meant to render a 480*480 map from corner to corner.

It is important you turn on vertical synchronization in your graphic card drivers. Otherwise nothing will stop WE rendering 100s of frames per second. Since laptops lack cooling (yes, they are designed to overheat at full load to save cost) this can easily result in the performance problems you are referring to.

Remember that laptops will run in reduced power mode when not plugged in. They can even turn off graphic cards nowdays such as done by the MACBOOK PRO. For optimum performance you really want to be plugged in.

Level 15
If WE makes your laptop overheat, your laptop has serious problems.

Frankly with your laptop it sounds like an overheating problem more than a lack of power.

It does not make it overheat per se, but just get really hot. Both the WE and playing WC3. And I worry because at higher temperatures doesn't the hardware degrade faster? But does higher temperature actually reduce performance?

I figured the same thing, since WC is quite old and I purchased this laptop machine last year. It used to have not much of a problem with high unit maps (like Castle Fight late game) but now the fps reduce much sooner when the unit numbers/effects get higher.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
And I worry because at higher temperatures doesn't the hardware degrade faster?
Yes, electro migration occurs faster at higher temperatures. It also increases exponentially so a 1 degree increase will greatly shorten processor life expectancy. Even if that is not a problem, eventually the components will physically burn up if it is allowed to get too hot.

But does higher temperature actually reduce performance?
Yes as it throttles back performance (clock speed usually) to prevent the component from getting too hot. Although I do not recommend it, you can run Intel CPUs without a heat sink and they will not die despite consuming 100W of power when fully loaded. Instead the CPU will literally shut down until a heat sink is installed to cool it back into operating temperature. Power consumption increases linearly with clock frequency so can be used to regulate power.

I figured the same thing, since WC is quite old and I purchased this laptop machine last year. It used to have not much of a problem with high unit maps (like Castle Fight late game) but now the fps reduce much sooner when the unit numbers/effects get higher.
Maybe dust is blocking the cooling vents? Or maybe you are running more stuff in the background?

Level 6
if you're lagging your laptop may have hardware stepping stuff to lower the speeds of everything to save power when not plugged in. I know mine did until I changed the power settings. my old HP pavilion desktop from 2000 ran the WE fine with no lag lol

My WE and WC3 runs fine and fast, does not cause unbearable heating

and my specs are

i3 1.xx GHz range
3 GB RAM
1 GB RAM for my GPU
300+GB HDD, around 40GB free, and lots of unnecessary clutters really

we have the same OS... all of my laptop's specs are dwarfed by your laptop's specs, seriously... So I think your laptop has a problem...

Remember that even on modern machines, WE might be choppy because of the poor engine of WC3 and even more of the editor.

Some things I found out in addition to the brush list setting, which should be disabled:
There is a minimap update every 2-3 seconds. On smaller maps, the impact is not noticable. If you have a large map filled with thousands of doodads and units, however, the minimap update becomes a notable fps drop spike. Disable the minimap (same as you disable brush list) and the freeze is gone.

About saving: Saving a huge map takes a shitload of RAM. Since WE is a 32 bit application, it can not allocate more than 4 GB, however. So you should be on the optimal side here.

When using Save & Calculate Shadows, there's only one thing that can help you: Patience and a good CPU. Remember: WE is single threaded. A Dual-Core won't help unless it dynamically overclocks itself when the other core is not used (newer AMD and Intel chipsets use such a method by default). Modern 4-8 core CPUs are pretty much useless - but at least it allows the user to continue doing other stuff while shadows are calculated.
I wish there would be an option to make calculate shadows run over the GPU instead. Would be a bliss.

If you got access to a strong single core CPU, you can decrease the time it takes for shadows to be calculated a lot. Unfortunately, nobody produces that stuff anymore.

Modern 4-8 core CPUs are pretty much useless - but at least it allows the user to continue doing other stuff while shadows are calculated.

If you got access to a strong single core CPU, you can decrease the time it takes for shadows to be calculated a lot. Unfortunately, nobody produces that stuff anymore.

so true... which is why when my friends ask what comp to get (or comparing between multi-cores and single cores), I always ask "first, what would you probably be using it for most of the time?"

Level 15
Thank you all for your helpful experiences, comments, suggestions and insights.

I have the specs of the machine that I would repair (it needs to have its motherboard replaced apparently). These are its current specs:

HP Pavilion Elite m9500y PC

AMD Phentom X4 9750 Quad-Core Processor

8GB System Memory - DDR2 (2 4GB sticks)

NDIVIA GeForce 9500 GS - graphics card with 512 MB dedicated video memory

Windows Vista Premium - 64 bit edition

Now the motherboard needs to be replaced, but apparently everything else should still work. Also the desktop has been sitting cold for a year or so since it stopped functioning (I suppose having machinery sit and do nothing also degrades it faster than using it every so often?).

How would this machine fair with wc3 world editor?

Level 15
Alright thank Ralle and codemonkey for those considerations--I will be sure to keep them in mind if I go with that.

Now what about a macbook pro? How would this perform with wc3 / world editor? Here are the specs of my mac machine

2.4 GHZ Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

OS X 10.8.5

Now I've tried warcraft under wine, but it does cause a noticeable heat increase, and I've read in many places that macbooks are not meant to be played with games. Would using the world editor on my mac machine greatly shorten the hardware and performance of the machine in the long run? I am also told though macbooks are designed to be able to run hot (as well as this processor apparently). All assuming my specs are good enough to run the world editor fast on this macbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.