• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] World Editor on OS X 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

So I am able to use Wine to run WC3 and also I can even execute commands from Notepad++ (also using wine) that can do stuff like run WC3 in windowed mode or even start it loading a map (like the test map feature in WE editor).

But how do I get it to run world editor? I've tried Wine--it took about 5 minutes to get past the End User License Agreement (I pressed Agree), and then another 5 minutes later I got to the warning Blizzard gives with the sound about how they don't support the world editor.

But then nothing (stuck there).

Also, my macbook got hot as an oven while trying to run WE this way through Wine. Heck not even my lame laptop which had its fans blocked got this hot this fast. Also this Macbook pro is new too (less than 6 months old), and WC3 is a decade old (how does it take so much power to run the editor??). Might be a problem with the macbook on the heat department.

I've read posts about moderators and users mentioning how they use Wine with WC3. So how do you make the editor load (and ultimately the NewGen editor?). Probably not too important but I won't be back with a pc in probably 1-2 weeks.

I got it to work once through wineskin winery, but I haven't been able to get it working as of late. I had a similar issue--wine ends up taking 100% of CPU to try to open the editor, but nothing really happens. Check activity monitor when you're running it, it might be overheating for that very reason. Even if it works, it is unlikely that you'll be able to get JNGP working. It relies on hooking, which is likely very different from OS to OS. iirc, most people would just write vJASS in a text file and run jasshelper on it via Wine (link), and then use the regular editor to mod (this is possible before 10.6 when macs could use Rosetta to run PowerPC files).

If you want to mod on your mac, it is better to install boot camp and add a Windows OS. I still play on my mac (although, after mavericks 10.9 you are forced to use wineskin instead of the native wc3 app, because mavericks disallows open transport--i.e. what wc3 uses for battle.net/LAN play), but I mod on my ancient windows laptop. You might be able to use something like Crossover as well, in case you want to run a virtual machine, but just be careful since those aren't 100% bug-free. Boot camp is really the best solution, but a little annoying if you want to use your Mac as a mac.

EDIT: Nvm, I didn't use wineskin winery for the editor. I used it only for the regular Warcraft III game. As for the editor, it works using WineBottler. Just run it directly in a blank template/wrapper w/e and it will open. But it is a little buggy. The toolbar with the buttons appears completely blackened (as are the scrollbars). You have to get to the trigger/object editors through clicking "Advanced" -> click on the editor you want. It'll also take up a lot of CPU (it is a roller coaster in CPU usage. sometimes it'll be fine, other times it'll go nuts towards 168% usage, which doesn't make sense, but you'll see those kinds of devilish happenings throughout your mac experience). It works for simple modding, but for vJASS, don't bank on it (doesn't respond for me). I would look into using boot camp, or just using this time to edit terrain (at least until your pc is back).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.