• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

can't run original Warcraft III World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello Hiveworkshop people,
i am just a person who has played warcraft III for over 10 years. and have also messed and played on the editor that comes with it as well, up to the point where i know most of the program. and i have never had problems running it. it always ran, smooth quick. For some reason i run the new warcraft III reforged editor. and it always runs and it takes less than like 30 seconds for it to start up and everything. but whenever i run the old one. nothing happens. if i run the world Editor with the map icon from the original folder. nothing. if i click it alot eventually it tells me that Warcraft III world editor is already running. so i wait and wait. and still nothing. so i watch for it on the list of processes that the computer is running on Task Manger. and it loads for a moment then it just disappears. and i just started figuring out for some reason it doesnt run at all. so i have uninstalled the warcraft III reforge thinking it can be part of the problem. and i reinstall the originall Warcraft III from blizzard. still same problem. so i looked online for older versions thinking maybe something is out of the ordinary. so i searched around for some other versions because blizzard decided to take them all away. and i found hiveworkshop had some WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO) so i went and got all of these versions installed and tested to see if the world editor would run. none of them work. so i thought maybe its my laptop. i havent used world editor in a few years and i didnt have this laptop then so i used my othe rcomputer that i know should run it fine. nope, the same exact problem occured in every way. on the other computer i even attempted to remove the battle.net app entirely and it simply wont uninstall(im not here to fix the battlenet app, i dont care for that). i just want to run the original warcraft III world editor and make a couples of maps like i use to. people might think why not use the new one? as much as i may like it. it takes forever for it to finally start up about 5-15 plus minutes(imagine how many times people must test their maps just to see their progress). the original less than 30 seconds regardless how big the map is. nobody should have to spend weeks on a project that should only take a couple of days if you know what your somewhat doing. also i shouldnt have to spend thousands of dollars on a new computer just to run that new world editor. when i know perfectly well these can definately run that old one. i searched online for a solution and i came up empty. i remember using this site to download models many years ago to my dead end projects. but now i want to program a couple of programs that are not for the game but for real life and i know i can do it if it would just run. anyway, if anyone can please help me that would be awesome, i am more than willing to take almost any steps i have to get to to get it to work.

Level 3
Hello hive Community,
Ravager, i went to the link you put on your reply and read the other thread that helped solve my problem. i simply went to the registry editor and deleted the entire folder that said "World Editor" i reinstalled the original game to see if the original editor worked, and it does. it tests maps just like it use to, and the program seems to behave just like it use to. i did not mean for my original thread to be confusing, i just wanted to describe my problem and all the steps i tried myself to solve the problem and that it didnt work and was asking for help. And for my question it was simply this: is there a way to run the original Warcraft III world Editor after reforge came out? And the answer was yes, and i followed the steps given to me to solve my problem. And i came online to say thank you, and thank you hive Community i appreciate the help, my problem is solved.

Level 29
hey footman i tried looking for Tool windows and could not find it but i found what i was looking for and it solved my problem.
Regedit W3 2.jpg

If you don't know about the location of World Editor registry, you can take a look for the picture above.

oh i went into the registry from a different way and deleted a file named World Editor from there and it seemed to also do the trick
Just as a side thing, if you ever get Reforged you'll want to just delete Tool Windows which you should be able to see in Ravagers screenshot to save you having to re-install the World Editor files every time.

Level 29
oh i went into the registry from a different way and deleted a file named World Editor from there and it seemed to also do the trick
Follow my instructions as I described above plus if you want to use Reforged WE:
I believe you're saying that you can not open the world editor. Try opening the Battle.net app, clicking Warcraft 3, and clicking the Launch Editor button which is above the Play button.
World Editor defaults to using Reforged graphics. Under the World Editor settings window you can change it to using Classic graphics if you want the old look back (restart of the editor application required after each such change).

Status
Not open for further replies.