1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

"Project WarSoc"

Discussion in 'Project WarSoc' started by MindWorX, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, newgen doesn't fully work with custom natives, it is not finished yet, but it will have all it needs to be compatible with WarSoc and RtC.
    As for 64 playeres, player cap will be determined by the speed of server, the map data and so on... It would sometimes lag too much.

2. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The issue lies in whether wc3 engine is built for more than 64 players. Because then it would not be feasible to make a 64 player map if the game engine cannot support.

3. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not really. This way you start game in singleplayer mode, then there is a syncing system, that syncs memory among computers, thus it looks like everyone is playing the same execution of the map (thus you can have active joining/leaving. As far as I know, movement syncing is done, and I think attacks are as well. Spells will have to be triggered 100%; No matter what the spell does on YOUR OWN computer, you will have to sync it with others, you will even have to trigger Heal ability. Also keep in mind that MindWorX is messing with wc3 engine, thus limits can go off if there are any. I would also suggest you to read stickies of this forum for more information.

4. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice...

Now will modding WarSoc have much more opportunity than modding Starcraft II? And if WarSoc gets distributed will we have enough warcraft III population to actually make it worth something?

5. Herman

Herman

Resources:
    Resources:
    woahhh

This is insane, so your pretty much changing WarcraftIII into a compltely new game???

This should be f*cking insane :grin::grin::grin:

6. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, this will allow us to make games like Battlefield and mmorpg. I get the idea of Synchronizing, but then you guys have to make your own battlenet and battlenet server.

7. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Uhh this is how it works. You got a RtC launcher and you need to connect to IP of another computer. Then, that computer you've connected for, is the host, and does need no external server to work.
    Oh, and FPS system is working! You can walk with WSAD and move your aim with mouse!

8. Herman

Herman

Resources:
    Resources:
    lol

Sweet

So as of right now you guys got a fully function FPS going for one the WarSoc

Oh, I understand the syncronizing bit, each computer has a specific set of data, and they each send data around via the host, and then each computer shows the effects/does the action

I'm a little confused as to how you would do custom natives (I believe some kind of third-party program?)

9. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, engine is hacked, thus you are able to add anything you wish to it.

10. Herman

Herman

Resources:
    Resources:
    How?

Is it some kind of special program you guys made? (I would think so)
    Does that program even have a language? (again, I think so, but what language???)
    I have never hacked anything before, so I can only imagine

11. DesKaladA

DesKaladA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yes it is a spectialy made program that uses winscok and i beleve dx hooks to do its actions

12. Herman

Herman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh

Yeah I wouldn't have a clue what either of those are, but this should be ill when it's finished

13. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    What's the project status percentage-wise? and what language is it in? I'm guessing C/C++. Big project, but it would be sweet if this was done by september. Hell, I'd be willing to help in the summer.

14. MindWorX

MindWorX

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's coded in c++ yea. Most of RtC is actually working fine. Only thing we need to fix which is pretty buggy, is the fact that all our custom events are bad to say the least, but we're working on improving them. :)

15. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    If you want some help in the summer I have coding experience. Not in C++ but java is pretty close syntactically, it's just small differences and different code libraries. I've also done a little bit of C# and alot of VB.Net. As for non-programming languages, I've worked with graalscript, nwscript, jass, javascript, xml(if it counts) sql, html, and css. So yeah. Coding is something I do. Coding and graphics. I really need to get into game design (I just came that realization and I'm switching all my university stuff to computer science). (And I already have college level computer science, thats where alot of the coding ive done comes from)

16. Infinitynexus

Infinitynexus

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Java? please go away and stop pretending to be an actual programmer..

17. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    If you're kidding, not a very funny joke. And if you're serious, C++ and java are very similar, and both are "actual programming languages".

Would I have preferred to learn C++? Yes.
    Was it offered when I took Java in Highschool? No.
    At the college where I took VB.Net/XML/Java/Javascript/SQL/C#/CSS/HTML? Nope.
    How much time did the college allow us to work in C# (closest thing they had to c++) before telling us we had to go back to VB.Net? About a Week.

Just because C++ is used more for games doesn't mean that everywhere teaches it. Most business apps are made with VB.Net because of all the functions and libraries it includes for web access and cross communication with web pages. Plus the graphical form design which makes applications look like microsoft applications which people are familiar with. Hell, now that I'm switching BACK into computer science as a major, and I have to take their intro course (which will be a breeze as it's intended for people without computer science background), Again they're having us use Java.

Yes it's frustrating, because I would imagine I'd have much more use for C++ as game design is what I plan on going into professionally, but nowhere is offering C++ at the moment.

Out of all the courses I will be taking in the next 3 years, one says it will cover C (not C++), and one says it will cover either C++, Java, or Smalltalk. About half of them don't say the language they will be working in (as they're largely theoretical, such as a course on Artificial Intelligence, or a Course on the Analysis of Algorithms).

If you have gone to college for computer programming, you are "an actual computer programmer"

Programming language that's NOT a programming language, "Turing". I took that too, it was useless. That's why I didn't list it.

Java can be compiled into native executables for Windows or what have you. You just can't use the default compiler.

I've gone to College for Web and Database programming, I'm in university for a Bachelor of Science with a major in Computer Science and A Minor in Game Design. That's 10 Computer Science credits out of the total 20 credits (I'll have 21 credits when I graduate, and you need math too). Out of those 10 credits 6.5 of them are software, 1 is graphics, 1.5 are hardware, and .5 are about OSes and .5 comes from a Visual Arts Drawing Class (for the Game Design Minor). Don't try to tell me I'm NOT an "actual programmer". There's my rant. you struck a nerve.

Related to the university note is that I will also have a minor in Japanese, and half the credits necessary for a Minor In Visual Arts, for which I may stay a 5th year to have 3 minors.

18. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    C++ is by far a lot better though. Plus Java is old and best for websites or mini-games really. In with the new (C++) and out with the old. C++ will get you a lot farther than C++ will, game-wise/third party program-wise at least.

Just because they're both programming languages doesn't mean they're similar.

~Craka_J

19. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    They have similar syntax and are coded similarly. They do have quite a few difference I agree. But Proficiency in one allows easier transfer to the other, you just need to learn the differences instead of learning everything from scratch.

And C++ is old too, it just rans faster than java so more things are made in it/made compatible with it. if newness mattered everyone would program with .net (which many do, but not usually game designers)

20. Herman

Herman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually

Recently I read a few pages off of a C programming book from the 90's, turns out first it was C, then they made C++, then Java, and they both stemmed from C

C++ is actually older than Java!!!

Although, this textbook was written a long time ago, and no doubt they have added sh*tloads to C++, Java was described as a "new" language, the author thought they might actually be moving off from C++ to Java

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.