• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Playable terrain competition?

What is your favourite theme?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i was wondering if instead of doing a terrain competition (you take a screenshot and thats all) you have to make a terrain of a ''x'' game.. with some restriction..

(the X game would be a game with hero's already created an markets and items.. for example)

the restriction would be...
-Need a village..
-Need a dongeon
-Need a forest
-Need a montain
-Need a Lac

for example... and than we would have to recreate the Hole terrain.. with doodads.. from the UTM for example.. and the one that makes the most beautyfull and playable terrain wins... it could take alot of time to make... but could be pretty fun... and it would be a way to create the most unbelivable map.. cause imagine if we do this..

put the winner spells of the spells competition and put it in the game..
put the winner hero of the hero's concept competition and put it in the game again..
etc..etc..etc... and put ALL of them together.. we could have the most epic game ever created... (almost) and the final touch could be done by the Hive's members..

its just a simple idea.. but could be somehow awsome.. i think..

Level 13
Sounds good, but putting spells like nature, link, holy to same hero(whatever has been hosted). Could be pretty weird. And I dont think there are many hero contests to take ready heroes from. Also who would import them?

well my idea was more close to Void's than a melee map.. really... like i came out with .. putting all the other contest together.. but.. the main idea was to make like the hole terrain for a 95x95 map size.. example.. or to make like simply a hole castel..etc..etc..

rather than a screenshot..

and also, one of the thing we should do.. is posting the best 3 screenshots of our terrain.. for the poll.. thing..

Level 17
Melee map isn't so much about terrain. As Void said there must be big places to build on.

The fact that it´s a melee map gives it restrictions.
So there is less to choose from, there are more things to think about.
And generaly it´s way more challenging to create a good melee map, then just a good terrain.
Also it´s hard to see for normal terrains who is the best, mainly because the one might just make a random castle were people can fight in, and somebody else can just make an underground maze.

I vote for melee map. But with the option of editing doodads, and no imports will also make it better.
Lalala, let´s add uberz hax 1337 doodadz and we shall pwnz contest for real ! :ugly::ugly::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

So.. no imports.

Level 17
the sucky part about the melee map.. is that EVERY THING! need to be as a mirror.. so its more balanced.. for each placer... why it sucks.. cause we can't let our imaginations out...

so... 100% for NO MELEE map..

Mirrored maps? What are you talking about, sure the skeleton itself has to be mirrored a bit. But it still allows a lot of variation, sides blizzard made a lot of melee maps that ain't mirrored.

You just have to make sure, if you give 1 player a second gold mine, all of them should have a second gold mine at somewhat the same distance.
Stuff like that, obviously u didn't play much melee. :p

Level 17
import should be allowed

No, if you use imports people will like your map more.
Example: OMG HE HAS UBER MODELZZ FTW HAX LOLOLOLO :ugly::ugly::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
That's how a lot of people think.

Besides it's a melee map, there is no need for imports, it will only increase the size. Imports are bad for contest, that's how I feel.

Maybe imports should be allowed. But in that case you should get a -10 points penalty. Cause imports are not needed if you're creative enough.

i don't really like the idea of a melee terrain really, like my main idea was simply make a terrain for a complete map.. instead of just a screenshot, why i said playable map.. :'(

but anyway, i see some people have some nice ideas so i would say..

I'll go with the flow!

Level 34
Poll time. Hawk add a poll with the options Melee and Playable.

Melee: Pretty obvious, you make a melee map. Balancing the bases, creep spawns, and overall map would be part of it.

Playable: Make a terrain, put down a unit to explore with, and the map will be judged from in-game. Triggers are allowed for camera movement if you want it, but the triggers themselves won't be judged.

Status
Not open for further replies.