• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Next terraining competition Idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
basicly here's my idea.. you give a choose of 4 simple drawings to the contestant. And they have to pic one of the 4 and recreate it. Tought, they can add what ever they want.. they just can't change what's already there.

Example.

terrain.png

66547d1254316387-castle-midnight-castleatmidnight.jpg

terrain made by Revolve

the 4 drawing would be something really general. Like a Sun and a mountain. Or a boat on the sea. etc.

nice, tought apocalyptique looking terrain have been done TO MANY TIMES! D:

so we might not consider this. Tought, the Good looking Futurist terrain is a good idea.

Like = no war, there's vegetation everywhere etc.

The human respect nature and there's no publicity etc.

Level 4
I like the idea of a post-civilization theme. Not like an apocalypse, but after some event that causes civilization to degenerate, and you then can see a new civilization forming in the rubble of the previous civilization. An example of this would be after the fall of Rome, but it could be modern or anything at all really.

That's more of the idea I get from the pic above, anyways; it doesn't really look post-apocalyptic at all to me.

Level 15
Some ideas:

Elements I suggested this last time. Basically like the four seasons terraining contest. You make a base terrain and then change that terrain to represent each of the 4 elements. Technically you'd be making 4 terrains but they are all just edits of the base.

Paired Terraining Self explainatory. The problem is that you would need like 14 participants (7 entries) to make it a good contest. But it might still work. You never know.

Battle scene I didn't get the idea form Mr.Goblin. It is something that I thought of awhile ago. You would make two armies attacking a castle, fighting in an open field, etc. lol, you know you'll see at least one terrain of spammed footmen and grunts in an open field.

Level 4
Battle scenes would be difficult because WC3's unit models suck hard and it's impossible to animate them in the editor without editing the models themselves.

Level 15
Aggre on that. Battle scene would be hard.
Paired terrain might be win, but might also be fail if we don't enough participants.

I like the elemental 4 season thingy. Think that sounds pretty cool :D But at the same time, maybe people will find it hard to finish 4 terrains (Even that they have the same base).

What Goblin said in first post, that you should make a terrain based on a picture, I think is an awsome idea.
Also like the future thingy, with people degenerating. Maybe we can see future terrains that are NOT ruined zombie-thingys. :D

why not... CHRISTMASS RELATED?! ;D

like, inside santa clause factory, or a village in the night, or like santa flying over a town with his trail?

or some huge badass Christmass tree?! WHY NOT?! D:

that will surely be awesome + it will make people happy.

christmas just wouldn't work out
elemental would be silly, how would you make the same terrain in fire and then ice, and then AIR?
a battle scene could be an army just gathering up, it could be two people scrapping it out on a grass (or preparing to) it seems doable
given pictures are :(
floating cities, no
aftermath maybe, if it's a bit specific
paired terraining, no fucking way

Level 4
There is a present by Mc !, but i think it would be a challenge in constructing the tree and other minor details, or a fabric where presents are made, that would be awesome, tough Raid1000 would pwns us all, never the less, i would take my chances ;) Mary Christmas :D

I'm not sure you could put Christmas into an epic, expansive landscape like Raid tends to do in his terrains without killing the mood (Christmas seems like an intimate, "close-quarters" kind of thing to me), so I'm not sure he would :p

Boss lairs is nice.. tought christmass can be represented in many ways...

You don't need santa-claus to make something that represent christmass.

I'm talking about.

-The polar express
-The christmass tree
-The Grinch
-Santa clause
-Night before christmass
-Christmass Muppets? :D
-cooky/cake
-Snowman
-Hockey game on ice
-Ice skating
-Cake house

Just every god damn things that we use to see during chirstmass holidays..

no need for snow or to see Jesus.. comeone, there's ''hanouka''(don't know how to write it) too no?

Level 10
Futuristic City Terrain Contest

I think it would be a good idea to make a terrain contest where people would have to make futuristic cities, you know, with flieng ships and big shiney buildings and glowing seas and purple skies with 3 moons, aliens and humans on the streets, space stations in space, man and machine, nature and creation mixed in a beautiful creation made for only reputation! :D

Level 18
You'll need more then 4 reference images or you'll get a lot of the exact same crap, meaning you'll have half of all the entries on 1 reference image use all the same objects in all the same way.
Since that is the entire goal here, I think the thought behind it is nice, but the results will make a lot of people rethink if this really was such a good idea.

Level 36
Ideas:

- underwater
- dream
- nightmare
- anime
- no colors (or as few as possible, no editing)
- war
- global warming

There should be few limits within the theme, also all imports should be allowed in my opinion.

What the...? Not that it's because I dislike anime like hell, but how do you make anime a THEME? I mean, show me distinctively what anime can represent as a theme that no other theme can, I would claim that it would be the same as say "- Warcraft" for a theme >.>

I like the global warming idea, just with a little twist to it, what about:

- Cataclysm. Make a terrain of a reknown landmark of the Warcraft lore (or just some place in general) and make it how it would look ravaged, and maybe even have two shots, one before its destroyed and one after.

Level 18
We already had a Disastrous theme recently if I remember correctly. Same story about underwater. But I do agree with you about the anime theme. It's not a terraining theme, it's a way of drawing, which would make it a theme for a texturing contest.

Level 19
What the...? Not that it's because I dislike anime like hell, but how do you make anime a THEME? I mean, show me distinctively what anime can represent as a theme that no other theme can, I would claim that it would be the same as say "- Warcraft" for a theme >.>

Never occured to you how beautiful anime landscapes, buildings etc are designed? Recreating such things or adding your own twist into it while maintaining the look of the anime would be totally awesome... And by the way, I am going to guess you have never taken time to watch any good anime, because good anime is something that can not be disliked. If it is at least by few, that is why I guessed. :p

How about global warming -> affected nature in general by a race? Someone has to come up with a better name for it, lol.

Level 19
As long as it isn't the: "terrain a drawing theme".

I think we should have a difficult theme with lot's of variative idea's possible.
Like last time we had Steampunk! Everyone had to think to get a nice idea.

I don't like that drawing theme because it reduces your creativity alot. You can't totally decide your terrain anymore because it has to fit a certain concept.

let me shed some idea light on this thread

[Alien Planet] - You know, space, aliens, alien buildings, planets
[Poster] - make a terrain that looks like it's on a poster, on a wall, of an advertisement to a vacation, or some wanted criminal, etc.
[Christmas] - why not? references can be from many movies and such
[nightmare] - the terrain will look like inside a nightmare
[Post-Robbery] - look like someone or some people just robbed a bank, museum, or house, or anything in particular
[Modern Hobo] - what would a hobo in today's society be living in?
[reflection] - contains a reflection of something, like a mirror, or river, etc.
[sewer] - self explanatory

alien planet - gah. the specter of that theme is MASSIVE. one could use naboo buildings and some random stuff and say its aliens. other than that, there's just not enough things to make something like that, i mean, yeah, make something yourself, but imo it wouldn't work out

poster - more suitable for the art contest
christmas - maybe...
nightmare - sounds interesting
post-robbery - err? how would that be displayed? cop cars in front of a house? would probably be restricting towards modern
modern hobo - wat
reflection - well.. reflections are just boring to make
sewer - idk. seems like we'd get shitloads of extremely similar terrains

imo blue/apocalypse are the best we have so far. blue is just one thing that would be extremely interesting, the post-apocalypse would be quite interesting IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.