• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Orc Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
ORC WARS

I'm planning a futuristic map that mainly uses General Frank's space orc and tank models.

Features:
-)2-4 players (in any team combinations)
-)basic passive income
-)about 4 neutral buildings that can be captured (I don't know yet if they should all give you additional income, or if some should give your units small improvements as long as you control them)
-)default build places (some for buildings, some for towers) where you can build about 4-5 different buildings and 3-4 different Towers.
-)1 main building from the beginning
-atm one building for basic infantry, one for heavy tanks, one for upgrade-research and one for light mechanical units.
-atm one tower with splash that deals bonus damage vs armored units (like tanks), one gatling versus infantry and one non-combat-sattelite station which can see invisible units, has a very big area of sight and the 'farsight' ability
-)Each unit should counter another type of unit well (by dealing bonus damage against that units armor type for example), so you can't win by building an army consisting of only 1 or 2 unit types and you always have to observe your opponent
-)Special Actions (e.g. like in "battle for middle earth"), that show up as hero buttons and can be cast anywhere on the map with high cooldown. There are lots of different special abilties, which you can get by investing in one of 3 tech trees on 3 tech levels and combining them in any variation.
-Destruction Tree: features skills like an Artillery strike or a suicide package for an infantry unit for example
-Supporting Tree: features skills that summon mighty units like a special tank or additional marines that last only for a limited time
-Technic Tree: features skills that can prevent your opponent from training units or pull enemy units together and stun them for example

Example: If you invest 1 point in technic and 2 in destruction, you get a nuclear strike that deals heavy damage on impact and deals radiation-damage to infantry units that pass throught the impact zone for the next 2 minutes.

The goal is to defeat your enemies by combining your army well and using your special actions wisely!

...May the better orc win ! :wink:

I'd be glad if you tell me what you think about the concept :)

looking forward to hear from you with best regards

doc_T

PS: if you want any closer information, feel free to ask

Level 15
1) Some neutral buildings may give access to certain unique technologie while control. FOr instance, while you control Tank Experimental Laboratory, you can upgrade your certain tanks to more powerful version.

2) Technic Tree would better use "Sabotage Tree" or something like that, since it is all actually about sabotage =)

3) Special Actions may be restricted by mana cost, in addition to cooldowns. A neutral building "Power Generator" could increase mana regeneration, allowing more often usage of special actions.

4) As a kind of hi-tech feat, or Special Action, or an ability for a special elite unit, or a neutral building, could be:
Transformation - converts all allied units in target area into a different type of units (most likely the one that counters the original unit). Firing that off in a right moment would be a pretty tide-turning tactical decision.

5) What would be interesting to see (for me at least), would be a Drop Pod feature.

6) Make sure to include some melee units (luckily orcs don't lack melee models of all sorts). Of course, melee combat in modern/sci-fi setting makes absolutely no sense, but
a) no one cares about logic;
b) most successful sci-fi settings focus heavily on melee (Warhammer 40k, Star Wars, Starcraft);
c) it is cool. Escpecially when you attack a tank with a sword... =)

7) add an advancement system to units (increasing their health/armor/damage/range/whaterever the more enemies they kill). Choosing between generally more effective units (that are fresh-trained) and battle-hardened veterans of a different type is often a challenging and interesting decision.

8) make some of the more powerful units "berserk" (if you played Heroes IV, you'll remember Berserkers and if you played Knights of Honour, you'll remember Feudal Knights). The point is, when enemy is somewhere not far from the unit, it automatically gets an order to attack that enemy (so you must keep an eye on them, lest they engage in combat with overwhelming forces).

That's it for now, can't think of anything else (i'm damn tired today). Enjoy.

Level 2
First of all, thanks for your feedback/ideas!
1) i think that if neutral buildings provide permanent improvements to units would affect the game too much and mb be a too big advantage for the player who controls it. (has to be testet, I like the thought itself)
2) thats a fine name instead of "tech tree", thx :)
3) hmm, i have to say that i don't like the thought of additionally restricting special actions, because that would make their use more complicate and cooldown restriction is fine imo
4) i really like the idea, but not all units cost the same amount of gold (its from 70-360 i think :), so this is more less unbalancable
5) i also developed a special aciton with the drop pod models (spawns extra marines every ~4 seconds that stay for ~20 secs) on any location and last 20 secs
6) right for now there's only one melee space orc troll model that i'd like to use in the map. But there are quite big differences in tank range, what makes up for this part of tactic/complexity in combat imo
7) already thought about that. I really like the idea, but this is a feature you have to be very careful with balance
8) uh, love the idea :) will be implemented

yours doc_T :wink:

Level 15
1) units could lose the upgrade when the player loses control over the building.

4) then it could either turn units into cheaper units ("What do you need on battlefield right now? more powerful unit A, or cheaper and weaker, but more effective in this situation unit B?"), or it could deduct price difference from player

_PV

_PV

Level 7
I wanted to create a type of hero survival, the two teams of six (factions include The Space Orcs and The Marines) were to battle against each other to claim control over a desolate and infected planet, thus: you have a scout, a medic, a techy, a heavy weapons expert, a demolisionist, a commander, a sniper and a chain gunner to choose from. each team's goal was to establish a base/stronghold in any warehouse or abandoned building to run their operations from whilst defending against the hordes of infected beings. a type of AOS you might say... the terrain was 100% done, looked real snazzy... i got 25% of the gameplay done, 50% done with the heroes+abilities, and then..................................... Gooodbye 2 weeks of hard work... i'm intermediate with triggers, yes. (GUI strictly)
i'm a good terrainer, and a hero+item+ability+recipe creater, but i always run out of inspiration.. i am currently busy with my LOAP and cinematic map

Status
Not open for further replies.