• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vehicular Overflow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
For my new map "Tiriath Civil War - Telgarde" I cant seem to find a away of how to make my tech tree proper... Currently there will be 4 different variations of units per faction
(there are differences faction to faction), And as techs progress specific buildings tailored to those factions appear, but how do I start it all? Even at Teir 1 (ww1) There are faction specific units and stuffing them all into 1 building (That later branchs off to the other factions) dosent work. Making specific faction tailored buildings off the bat dosent work either, as the starter building is left with only being able to train 2 units.

The same issue is with infantry and barrack's as well...

Any ideas on how to fix this proper?

Level 39
When I suggested this approach in your idea thread I guess I didn't really think through how you would lay it out. I saw the unit variants as 'permanent' sidegrades, so if unit type A can be upgraded into types B or C, picking C converts all of your existing As into Cs and makes anything that previously trained As now train Cs. That way even if there are 4 possible variants of a unit it only takes up 1 slot on the build menu.

Ultimately I'm not sure I understand the problem as you've laid it out. When you say "Making specific faction tailored buildings off the bat dosent work either, as the starter building is left with only being able to train 2 units." why specifically will that not work? Wc3 melee starter buildings (barracks, town hall) only build 1 or 2 types of units (with an upgrade enabling knights later on in the case of barracks). You could just have some basic starting units be produced be able to be produced by more than one building so that your starter building has more it can do but the faction specific buildings can take over training those units later on.

Are there too many units to fit into a faction specific building? It might be possible to make a "show more units" button that morphs the building into a new unit-type that can build different units, too.

Level 13
When I suggested this approach in your idea thread I guess I didn't really think through how you would lay it out. I saw the unit variants as 'permanent' sidegrades, so if unit type A can be upgraded into types B or C, picking C converts all of your existing As into Cs and makes anything that previously trained As now train Cs. That way even if there are 4 possible variants of a unit it only takes up 1 slot on the build menu.

Ultimately I'm not sure I understand the problem as you've laid it out. When you say "Making specific faction tailored buildings off the bat dosent work either, as the starter building is left with only being able to train 2 units." why specifically will that not work? Wc3 melee starter buildings (barracks, town hall) only build 1 or 2 types of units (with an upgrade enabling knights later on in the case of barracks). You could just have some basic starting units be produced be able to be produced by more than one building so that your starter building has more it can do but the faction specific buildings can take over training those units later on.

Are there too many units to fit into a faction specific building? It might be possible to make a "show more units" button that morphs the building into a new unit-type that can build different units, too.
Because, then I'll have to make 4 separate versions of builders for the factions. Though I am interested in the "show more units" ability, how would I add that in?

Level 39
Options 1 and 2 can't be a part of the build menu, they must be a spell on the command card. Option 3 is within the build menu.
  1. Try making a custom spell based on Bear Form that the building can cast, transforming itself into the second type that can build other things.
  2. If option 1 interrupts the build queue you can instead give it a dummy no-target ability (probably would use Channel as a base), then detect when the building is ordered to use that ability (not when it casts). At that moment, passively transform it with a Bear Form ability as detailed in this thread: Hero passive transformation
  3. If either option retains the build queue but you want it to be selectable from within the build menu, you could make a dummy no-cost unit that the building can train in 0.01 seconds (maybe 0.00 will work too). Either when the unit is built (will have to wait for queue to finish) or when it's added to the build queue (there might be a way to detect this with this system: TrainingDetection v3.1) then use whichever of 1 or 2 works to morph the building.

Level 13
Options 1 and 2 can't be a part of the build menu, they must be a spell on the command card. Option 3 is within the build menu.
  1. Try making a custom spell based on Bear Form that the building can cast, transforming itself into the second type that can build other things.
  2. If option 1 interrupts the build queue you can instead give it a dummy no-target ability (probably would use Channel as a base), then detect when the building is ordered to use that ability (not when it casts). At that moment, passively transform it with a Bear Form ability as detailed in this thread: Hero passive transformation
  3. If either option retains the build queue but you want it to be selectable from within the build menu, you could make a dummy no-cost unit that the building can train in 0.01 seconds (maybe 0.00 will work too). Either when the unit is built (will have to wait for queue to finish) or when it's added to the build queue (there might be a way to detect this with this system: TrainingDetection v3.1) then use whichever of 1 or 2 works to morph the building.
I did the 1st option, problem is when I do it the factory starts playing an animation and gets stuck on playing the birth anim on loop...

Also when I do the morph anim, and it goes to the 2nd page, it automatically switchs to the 1st for some reason..

Last edited:
Level 39
Try adding "stand" to the bear form Art - Animation Names in the OE. Failing that you can detect the spellcast with a trigger and manually make the unit play its stand animation.
it automatically switchs to the 1st for some reason..
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What switches? The building morphs and then immediately morphs back to its original form?

Level 13
Try adding "stand" to the bear form Art - Animation Names in the OE. Failing that you can detect the spellcast with a trigger and manually make the unit play its stand animation.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What switches? The building morphs and then immediately morphs back to its original form?
Yeah, I had the same problem before, and its happening again..

Also I put "Stand" into the animation name of the ability, but it still dosent work. The Animation goes back to birth.. However! I made a trigger and it works!

Last edited:
Level 2
You could also use this function to allow specific research or unit for specific player
JASS:
    //Units, Buildings
    SetPlayerTechMaxAllowed(Player(iplayer),UnitTypeId,-1) // to allow - allowed by default
    SetPlayerTechMaxAllowed(Player(iplayer),UnitTypeId, 0) // to deny
    //Researches
    SetPlayerTechMaxAllowed(Player(iplayer),TechResearchID,0) // to deny
    SetPlayerTechMaxAllowed(Player(iplayer),TechResearchID,1) // 1 ( One Time Only ) or higher ( for multiple levels of research) - By default Max

With this you can keep your researches and units in one place and not have to create several Barracks, tech centres for new branches, doctrines...
Unlock new researches/units after finishing research and disable older/obsolete ones, or if you have doctrines, ideologies - tech trees, simply disable those you do not want to follow

For ex. you could choose between different ideologies and after finishing it only enable the researches that are meant to follow

Best would be to disable everything at init and then just enable depending on research and other events

I'm sorry for my grammar, i'm not native english

Attachments

• gui.PNG
    gui.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.