• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Newbieness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I'm just curious. How is one judged to be a newbie on the hive? is it amount of time here? quality of submissions? I would assume rep, but some people have alot of rep, and haven't submitted a damn thing, whereas others have submitted a bunch of things, that were liked by people, but have considerably less rep. Maybe they've been around longer too.

I've been a hive member for a couple years, and just started actively participating about a year ago. I know someone else, who just joined recently and yet they have gotten to the same amount of rep as I have. But they can't do jass, don't make maps, and don't have any modeling ability, and they're pretty new to skinning, so they can't really help others too much. So I'm really confused as to how they got the huge quantities of rep, and further confused by what makes people be or not be a newbie on the hive.

I usually get positive comments about the stuff I make, and I try to be helpful, but my rep is like 50ish. So am I a newbie? not a newbie? not popular? or am I just too opinionated maybe? (that's what someone told me in my university art class, and I have a hard time disagreeing with it, as I usually say what I mean, even if it isn't the nices thing).

I think some sort of system based on the average ratings of submissions would be nice to see, but obviously that's just cause I don't adequately understand the current system. I know a few people here who are obviously not newbies, but beyond them I have a hard time telling (unless it's just a straight up comparison between my skinning ability and theirs - which again, not very accurate.)

You've got Frank, and Dionesiist and Elenai, awesome model editors, Chriz, Awesome animator, and TDR, sweet all around modeling guy. The_End makes sweet skins, A.R. Makes sweet skins, he's recently arrived from wc3campaigns, and Wereulf makes cool everything, although it seems to be a bit darker than most of Wc3.

Well, what do you all think?

Test if you are a noob.

Well, you probably have to have most or all of these qualities to be considered a noob.

1 - Joined really recently. (Unless you have previous wc3 modding experience)

2 - No nothing or near nothing about the world editor or any wc3 modding type

3 - Talk with txt talk or bad grammar (unless it is to be funny, or foreign)

4 - Either don't have an avatar, or one weird one

5 - Want Rep, have it in their sig etc.

6 - Immature.

Really, being a noob doesn't matter. If you are considered a noob, who cares? As long as you are mature enough, it doesn't matter. People give rep. I have hardly any rep. While others have a ton of rep, and a lot from just being funny.

Meh, I guess I'm not thaaat funny but oh walls.

Rep has nothing to do with it. Experience and knowledge is the main part. The others are just added for fun. :D

Level 17
Test if you are a noob.

Well, you probably have to have most or all of these qualities to be considered a noob.

1 - Joined really recently. (Unless you have previous wc3 modding experience)

2 - No nothing or near nothing about the world editor or any wc3 modding type

3 - Talk with txt talk or bad grammar (unless it is to be funny, or foreign)

4 - Either don't have an avatar, or one weird one

5 - Want Rep, have it in their sig etc.

6 - Immature.

Really, being a noob doesn't matter. If you are considered a noob, who cares? As long as you are mature enough, it doesn't matter. People give rep. I have hardly any rep. While others have a ton of rep, and a lot from just being funny.

Meh, I guess I'm not thaaat funny but oh walls.

Rep has nothing to do with it. Experience and knowledge is the main part. The others are just added for fun. :D

so rep of 50 doesn't necessarily mean people think I'm a newbie. ok.

Still curious to see what people on the hive actually think of me though.

If you like you can all just send it to one person and that person could post opinions from everyone and then it would be anonymous, but I doubt you ca say anything that will actually upset me. :p

Level 26
Eh. Don't think that you're a newb. You can skin to a more than average degree. Rep of 50 is awesome. There are a few people on the Hive who have acquired rep through ...*ahem*...arguable means though.

Most newbs are quite nice. N00bs however...

They are the ones that join up and make their first post in the modelling section asking for anime models...then they have their thread moved, and bump in in 10 minutes saying 'omgz wai no help pl0x?' They also tend to pop up in legitimate request threads saying such odd things as 'cool model, make me a cloud next pls' .

So basically, nope. Not a noob.

Level 22
Rep is just some number there for certain people to look at to keep them from doing something more sinister.... :grin: Doesn't really mean anything as far as how experienced you are, and I'm a good example of that.

I have some rep now, but I signed on to The Hive with very little, as everyone else does, but I was very experienced with the editor and such. Still am. So that didn't stop me in the slightest.

Remember: actions speak louder than rep. If rep speaks at all.... :wink:

Level 17
"loathe" "despise" "the work of a handicapped 6 year old" and a few other things could insult people too. I'm usually a bit nicer when I criticize people's resources though.

But usually I get people miffed by my disapproval of other countries' (or my own country's) policies about various things. That's the impression I got in the "Why WoW Models Are Not Allowed" section when I said that I can understand Hive's Extreme Caution perspective, but that American Copyright law in general is absurdly overbearing and pointed out that in canada, for example you can download copyrighted materials but cannot upload them (If you paid for the original you can make or acquire as many copies through downloading as you like) (they disagreed saying that they heard that was incorrect, but I have since double checked and found my statement was in fact accurate)

I appreciate the insight into what people consider newbieness.

Level 9
If you like naruto, ask for naruto, live with naruto, or have anything to do with naruto, you're a noob.
Oh, and if you are Jacek, or any of his other accounts, you're a noob also.

Level 17
Nah. Naruto is fine. if you're obsessed with it fine. I don't care, just don't bug me about it.

What about that chinese guy who made all the cool naruto models (you don't even have to like naruto to admit his models are cool)? he's not a Newbie. (most of his following may be though). - demon ye it was. His models are good, and not public.

I have never played any of the naruto maps, though someone did get me to try a bleach map which I thought was awful.

And I happen to like Naruto a bit. I've been watching i since ep 30 in japan, about 2 years before it came out here in english, like in 2004. haven't watched it in about 4 months though, and the english Dub is terrible. "Believe it" makes me want to rip out my hair.

and Avatar is much better. If I ever decide to do anything with anime models it will be avatar, though I would not nag others to make them for me.

Level 36
Now, noob and newbies are two very different people. For example:

Newbie said:
Hi, i'm new here. I've been modding Wc3 for a while, and it's great. You can check out my map development thread here.

Noob said:
OMG LEIK HAI I AM TEH NUB HERE. LOL, SO I 'M MAKEING THIS MAP, ITS LIKE NAURTO SHIPUNDNHUDUDN AND ITS ALL LIKE DBZ NORATU HEROEZ ARENA AND I LIKE NEED DBZ AND NAURTO MODELS.

oh n if you can maek this wow model for me that would be awesum thnx!

*Insert emoticon spam here*

Notice the difference? It has nothing to do with posts, rep, or any of that crap. It's the way you behave on the forums. A newbie is a new user, who has just joined. A noob is a new user, yes, but also a retard who only joined the forums to get what they want and doesn't give a shit about anything other than their ownj selfish needs.

Also Jacek is pro, so yeah, dunno what you're on about HT.

Level 17
ah alright. I've always understood that noob and newbie were the same thing, except that noob was what you said if your iq was about 60 points lower. at hive there is apparently a distinction. The people you call noobs I just call morons.

I figured it was a mass opinion thing of who was a newbie or not, but if its just "have you been modding a while" then I have the answer to my question.

Level 36
Doh, everyone using the same avatars >.>

And your point in the WoW models thread is entirely invalid because 1) It is STILL illegal in Canada to download ANY copyrighted material (I live in Canada, I'm a pirate, I know these things). and regardless of that, you're still subject to this thing called INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT LAW, that doesn't apply just in the States, but in most civilized places of the world.

And it doesn't matter how overbearing it is, they can take you up in a court in the States and you have to show up. No matter what your country's laws are.

But this is entirely besides the point. Noobs are noobs, and Newbs are Newbs. But Noobs are not Newbs, and vice versa.

Level 17
Doh, everyone using the same avatars >.>

And your point in the WoW models thread is entirely invalid because 1) It is STILL illegal in Canada to download ANY copyrighted material (I live in Canada, I'm a pirate, I know these things). and regardless of that, you're still subject to this thing called INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT LAW, that doesn't apply just in the States, but in most civilized places of the world.

And it doesn't matter how overbearing it is, they can take you up in a court in the States and you have to show up. No matter what your country's laws are.

But this is entirely besides the point. Noobs are noobs, and Newbs are Newbs. But Noobs are not Newbs, and vice versa.
Well, it was a government site I saw the info on, but I really no longer care and don't wish to look it up again. I no longer care who disagrees with me. If the issue still matters to you, look it up and discuss amongst yourselves. In regard to any legal comments, I will just no longer mention any legalities because regardless of what the law is or what it says in any source Someone will disagree with me. I'm pretty sure that youre wrong on the called to court thing, as I think it depends on what youre being called to court over and whether your country will have you held liable for things in other countries. Not all crimes in the US even carry across state borders as some are crimes in some areas and others aren't I'm pretty sure it makes you unable to go to that specific place without having to go to court. Again, I no longer have any intention to double check any legal issues, as it's really not worth the hassle of looking the shit up. If I end up breaking some rule I wouldn't care about if I knew it existed or if I misunderstood it, it really doesn't matter to me so whatever.

Level 16
hes right

Eh. Don't think that you're a newb. You can skin to a more than average degree. Rep of 50 is awesome. There are a few people on the Hive who have acquired rep through ...*ahem*...arguable means though.

Most newbs are quite nice. N00bs however...

They are the ones that join up and make their first post in the modelling section asking for anime models...then they have their thread moved, and bump in in 10 minutes saying 'omgz wai no help pl0x?' They also tend to pop up in legitimate request threads saying such odd things as 'cool model, make me a cloud next pls' .

So basically, nope. Not a noob.

he is telling the truth im a noob and im nice

Level 14
People keep missunderstanding the word newbie in my oppinion , Well as most of us knows newbie means ''Newbie is a slang term for a newcomer to online gaming or an Internet activity''.So if you if you act immature and spam emotionicons you're not a newbie just because of that , You'll just be annoying and ignored.So Newbies are new people!Well if people help Newbies they'll maybe become really good at something like mapmaking , skinning , modeling ..You get my point so if you want to get rid with newbies , Make them very good , Dont just ignore them :).

Level 34
More simple:
Newb: Someone newb who doesn't know the basics yet.
Noob: Someone who has been here for like ages but still doesn't get the basics.

Level 27
Level 28
I am not going to flame nor being agressive, but many(not all)Naruto maps are very poorly made AoS, with terrible pathing, models, grammar spelling and so on.

That's the problem of most Naruto maps. I only hear bad and negative things about Naruto maps, but since I don't play that kind of maps, I can't really tell much.

Thats enough to know why if someone starts a new thread about a his/her current anime map, this person is automatcally declared noob.
_______

Oh, and I don't think you're noob, Darkhome.

Level 36
You're generally right. Since I don't give a shit, i'll go right out and say it:

EVERY SINGLE ANIME MAP EVER MADE HAS SUCKED BALLS.

I autoignore any map with 'DBZ' or 'Naruto' in the title. Bite me. Unless you can prove to me that it doesn't suck ass, I'm not gonna waste my time with it.

If you like naruto, ask for naruto, live with naruto, or have anything to do with naruto, you're a noob.

It makes me mad when people make accounts and go straight to the Request Forum and make about 5 threads.. All asking for models from games/movies like Naruto, Dragonball Z, or Inuyasha...

For example.. Starcraft, Warcraft, or any "Modern day Military" styled stuff is okay.. But basically anything else is stupid.. Well those and Medieval stuff. =P

I think we should change the website address to http://wehatenarutodbzandinuyasha.hiveworkshop.com

Level 17
Oh, and I don't think you're noob, Darkhome.
Schwietnezz... beware the absurd spelling.

any "Modern day Military" styled stuff is okay..
I'm gonna have to go disagree with you there chief. I don't think I've seen any modern day military stuff made by players that didn't suck, and wasn't a tank model.

and hawk, did you see my revision of my competition concept?

So am I right in understanding that its not the animes themselves we hate, its the idiots that spam the messageboards about them and make godawful maps?

Level 7
I've tested plenty of narotu maps available, both in the Hive or from other sources.

I found none of them are interesting, or, they are all noobish. Most spells/abilities/heroes are nothing but copies from others. I'm not arguing about the models, some of them are well made.

And the maps mostly are nothing but another pieces of shits copied from DotA.

By the way. To me, the definition for newbs and noobs:

Newb: Some one who is new to something, and is eager to learn.
Noob: Some one who is new to something, but act like a pro.

Level 12
I s'pose you guys defined the living sh*t out of "newbie" amd "noob" already

And what should be interesting, is whether or not everybody continues to define it over and over again even though its all up there

I'm very interested in the brain and brain patterns, although I know nothing of the neurosystem

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned noob is a dumb/weak way of saying you are a meaningless twerp, or whatever imaginative phrase you can spend 2 minutes on thinking up

Generally speaking, I'm gonna have to dis-agree with Eleandor on this one, as although you in particular may have this ridiculous mental prowess that I could only possibly dream of cracking, many many other people (probably whom you refer to as noobs) would take sh*t HARD, all you gotta do is strike that one insecure cord

For Example, I love insulting the DotA whores (here meaning annoying fucks who call you dumbass everytime you die) simply by calling them either
A) your a fucking retard
B) your a fucking loser

Generally speaking, the DotA kids are conceited and prize being intelligent, hence are bruised, although thats not too effective if you clearly did something retarded ><

With the loser bit, a common situation with game players who play it over and over continuously is they actually feel guilt of it, and will be bruised if you let them know that anybody they meet will think less of them just because they play DotA ridiculously

And if all either of those don't work, for gaming in general its a pretty big umbrella, you gotta pull out the heavy artillery, which takes some thought and skill (I'm a bit lacking in this area)

Last but not least, if you've got no way to even the score, simply pick out one thing about them and constantly refer to it (ie. Don't change the subject, we are talking about you) you tell that to somebody who was just critized, whom tried to switch over to you, and just sit back and watch them squirm in discomfort as their foolproof plan disintegrates

Sorry bout that whole massive wall of text, me n my brother fight almost every single time we see eachother (got nothin' better to do) and so I have quite a bit of experience with the usage of language to mentally bruise another person (we aren't aloud to just fist-fight because of some stupid rule my dad has)

EDIT - Goddamn anime is soo gaaay (like the fucking notebook)

Level 12
Those kids are the ones I speak of that are mentally weak (the ones that bother other players far more excessively than is necessary)

I'm not sure if I made that clear ><

Yeah, usually when I play DotA one of those kids says somethin real stupid and then I go off, and they don't talk again for the rest of the game, fills me with joy... Sorry I can't really help it I am somewhat sadistic (Me and a friend tried breaking his leg once, bit of a story, but I felt like a dick cuz I couldn't stop laughing at it)

Status
Not open for further replies.