• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Patch 9 notes (The Galaxy Editor Patch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Rofl, no news out and battle.net is still online despite the message about maintenance and "during this time the battle.net servers and any online games will be unavailable."

Level 22
Rofl, no news out and battle.net is still online despite the message about maintenance and "during this time the battle.net servers and any online games will be unavailable."

Hah, the log in screen message said 19.00 CET for maintenance, then said 23.CET, I just checked - nothing. BUt I dont care cause i dont hurry, have still things on the war3 WE to do.

Level 20
I have no beta key, but I downloaded the client (not illegally) and the galaxy editor runs (and can test maps) with no kind of hack :D. The only thing I can't do is go online. I guess they gave up trying to stop people :p

Tell me more ;)

How do we get the client (legally) without a key?! I really dc about online melée just want that editor sooooo bad! :(

Level 22
I confirm that Galaxy Editor is now available for Europe! Just turned SCII on and it is updating not only Patch 9 but also Patch 10! Finally, can see the editor and can play with the new Concussive shells to cost only 50 resources instead of 100. Well, today is a day for finishing some WE stuff and checking GE out. The new battle net interface is awesome!

Also happy 20th anniversary from launching the Hubble space telescope.

Well, I was wondering if you heard anything for that, that's all. There are many features we heard of to be implemented, yet they are not all of them in this beta. So, I guess you didn't hear anything related to this? :)
Because 8mb for a better engine that has greater quality models/textures and can handle greater and many more features of coding might be low.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It will prbably be 8 MB, as the maps themselves need no more. That gives you like 1-2 MB for scipts, 1-2 MB for data and 1-2 MB for the terrain and map. The final remaining space can be used for map specific resources like the loading screen, minimap and stuff.

What about the models and skins? Well you import them from external files if you have not realised. Yes this means packs.

Basically you can source your map to multiple battlenet verified data files which will contain your models and skins and icons. The good thing about this is it means the actual map sizes are small and downloaded packs can be used for more than 1 map preventing duplication and improving download times of future maps which use those resources.

This system is not yet implimented and probably will not be in the beta (until maybe the very end). You can however see the support for it in the editor.

Oh my god, really? :O
That's... perfect. But wait, a) where are these packs going to be hosted?, b) If it requires Battle.net connection, how single player maps can share the resources?, c) Who is going to approve of the packs and validate them?, d) I've heard of external files, but that was about UI and I also heard that the system won't be user-friendly.
The UI can be customized, but it is not a user-friendly process.[28] The files are externalized, and while they can be edited, there will not be support for that.[29]
Source: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Map_Editor#cite_note-QA48-7

Level 7
Starcraft Beta Patch 10 is here!

Glad to here that the editor is finally here!

It is still a bit buggy atm, but it looks promising can't wait to see what they bring to it throughout the beta.

Although recently they released Patch 10 more details below P:

http://us.starcraft2.com/launcher/patch-notes.htm

The latest patch notes can always be found on the http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316&sid=5000.

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where Larva were not dying after being cancelled.
  • Fixed an issue with Banelings, Brood Lords, and Overseers obeying their original Hatchery's rally point.

Glad they fixed a few unit bugs although I was hoping for something a little bit bigger, like editor fixes/map uploading :(

Anyhow glad patch 9 had the editor and good to see patch 10 has finally been released,
Lag_Reviews!

Level 7
It will prbably be 8 MB, as the maps themselves need no more. That gives you like 1-2 MB for scipts, 1-2 MB for data and 1-2 MB for the terrain and map. The final remaining space can be used for map specific resources like the loading screen, minimap and stuff.

What about the models and skins? Well you import them from external files if you have not realised. Yes this means packs.

Basically you can source your map to multiple battlenet verified data files which will contain your models and skins and icons. The good thing about this is it means the actual map sizes are small and downloaded packs can be used for more than 1 map preventing duplication and improving download times of future maps which use those resources.

This system is not yet implimented and probably will not be in the beta (until maybe the very end). You can however see the support for it in the editor.

I don't doubt you but do you have a link to a source?

Level 19
I don't doubt you but do you have a link to a source?

I too can confirm this. The source can be found here in one of those twitter Q&A.

Does map publishing also store any extra resources (sounds, graphics, etc.) specific to the map, or is this a limitation?

Blizzard: Yes. If you add art or sound to a map, it's stored in the map and is therefore downloaded with the map once it's published. Long-term we will be adding support for custom mods where other maps can depend on a single mod pack. For example, if the community wanted to build a "Classic StarCraft" mod, they could do that and share it online and then many maps could be built that depend on that mod.

Level 7
Thank you kindly, sir.

I wonder if the hive and other communities will be holding contests and such in order to build quality mod packs... Should be great!

Level 20
Mod packs? That's almost identical to my tutorial which people did nothing but moan about... hoping that wasn't representing the majority, I personally love it.

Your right, it's so much easier to download one mod pack, for loads of maps than download each for 10mins individually, it also means you won't be the one waiting for the host to kick/getting kicked you/the slow downloader. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.