• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX

Level 4
Animation f*cked up!

FWPWocu.png

Im running an IK rig imported from Blender (fbx).

The hands move as in blender but the head stretches miles. head weight is 1,0 and hand around 0,5.
cant lower values to anything else than 0 in weight table tough..

Edit: Cant believe i made it work, deleted scale keys in dope sheet for head.

Last edited:
Level 4
I fi try to convert more than 1 animation i get
"Expected "," , got "#" in group "Bone" in "model.mdl""
when trying to open model with war3 model editor

Edit: It seems like all bone children need a parent!
Edit2: Now i cant figure out how i displayed the scale keys for each bone..
Edit3: Removed scale key on import! But something is terribly wrong -.-' everything stretched
Edit4: Everything works! I converted bones to dummy on import! 400kb model for attack, stand, walk animations D:

Last edited:
hmm thats pretty weird, you should add an unwrap in any case, also use version I.

Btw, big announcement. I'm currently working on Neodex Exporter 2. The new exporter is a full remake and will try to adress some issues in the current version. It will also be more flexible to code and may be able to support exporting directly to mdx and maybe importing models (that would be the end goal). I'll try also to add a better error reporting scheme. This way you may know of warnnings and errors directly.

I coudn't install it, I got this message:
attachment.php

Edit:
Whack me XD, I forgot to extract the files to 3ds max installation Directory, Is there a tutorial on how to use each tool from the menu?
Edit:
Great, Its better than the exporter I used to use, but is there any possible way to set textures path before exporting, and to edit materials too?

Attachments

• birthday.png
    birthday.png
    179 KB · Views: 310
Go to Utility Panel -> Maxscript -> Open Listener and post the full error log. I need to see it.

Btw did you close 3dsmax before adding the scripts?

EDIT: I just noticed the error...

You must extract the files in your 3dsmax folder, not within the scripts folder. That's why it failed, the plugins and the macros were not found.

Great Plugin, Its better than the exporter I used to use, but is there any possible way to set textures path before exporting, and to edit materials too?

Open the samples, you'll notice in the material editor how they are set.

Pretty much is the Path field in a Warcraft 3 Material or in Particle Emitter 2.

if for instance you want to use an ingame texture like: Textures\Star.blp
You write Textures\ in the Path field.

Milkshape. Haven't actually used it for a while.

Well don't know if you can access 3dsmax, but gmax works pretty well. Milkshape is pretty limited since it only exports meshes with animations and it doesn't even calculate extents which end up making your models pretty unselectable.

Well until now this are the planned changes for version 2.1:
  • [3ds max only] Initial renderer version: Renders: TeamColors, TeamGlows, Ribbon Emitters, transparency.
  • Performance heavily improved. High Poly models will now be exported a lot faster.
  • Bug fixes concerning Lights, Unanimated Colors and wrong alpha values for materials.
  • Progress indication.
  • Optimization selection: allows to activate or desactivate optimizations like merge geosets.
  • Some extra work to allow static color on geosets.

I'm currently experiencing some problems with some of the optimizations and AT Skinning so the version is very unstable right now. I'll try to see if I can get it up for today our tommorow.

EDIT: Fixed the bugs, the exporter is working a lot better now. I was able to export a 2.5k polies model with Biped animations in less than 6 seconds. Still need to optimize the writting process.

Last edited:
I'm having some major problems installing neodex. I copied all of the files from the neodex 2 zip file into the correct folders.
All of the plugin files went into the plugin folder along with the Neodex Modules folder. The NeoDex Installer and the other NeoDex Modules folder went into scripts, and the macroscript file went into ui/macroscripts. Before this I had removed all of the previous neodex files from the max folder. When I open up max 2010 64 bit I get the following error.
MAXScript Auto Load Script Error
--- Compile error: Can't find include file: War3Model.ms
--- In Line: Include "War3Model.ms

I then hit ok and run the NeoDex installer. It says neodex installed correctly, but no bar appears in the menu thing.
I decided to try to make a custom toolbar for NeoDex, but when I try to I do not find the 2.0 exporter, but instead the .78 exporter. All of the other tools seem to work fine. (Settings 1.0, NeoDex VA 1.0, NeoDex Animation Helper 1.0, NeoDex IK snapper 1.0, and NeoDex Key Reducer 1.0.)
I tried to add the .78 exporter to the toolbar, but when I run it the following error message appears.
MAXScript MacroScript Error Exception
--- Unable to convert: undefined to type: integer

Under warcraft 3 systems I have
Attach Point
Collision Sphere
Collision Box
Blizz Part 2
Blizz Ribbon

Isn't there supposed to be another one?

Any advice? I think I did something wrong.

try out this:
Open the maxscipt listener and in a new line write "macros.run NeoDexEX" then hit enter. If the exporter runs, then everything is kinda fine, except your 3ds max configuration is not doing good.

I also had a weird 3dsmax bug once with that. It turns out max loves to rewrite files some times or do some "recovery mode" bullshit. I fixed it by doing Maxscript -> Open script and deleting every single script file belonging to neodex using the file browser. After that reinstalled it.

If you get more troubles, then send me a private message, we could skype or have a more direct communication to help you fix the problem.

EDIT: check also if in the Scripts Folder, there's a folder called NeoDexModules.

EDIT 2: if all of the above failed then you have 2 options: 1st reinstall 3dsmax, 2nd use the standalone exporter I'm attaching with. You'll have to run it with maxscript -> Run script. That stand alone version is based on an unstable pre-release 2.1 so it may have bugs (until now it has none), you should try to fix your problem since I won't make more Stand alone versions for future versions of the exporter or any tool.

Attachments

• StandAlone Exporter.zip
    27.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Bump!

NeoDex 2.1 Released!
Changes:
Version 2.1:

• -Increased Performance heavily. Exporter should export heavy models faster.
  • -Added progress bar so you know what the exporter is doing and estimate time.
  • -Added new options for exporting: Extents calculation methods, AT skinning configurations, Optimizations.
  • -Warnning Mode will now advice about: bad/none unwraps, unbalanced weights in skin modifier, Start and Ending keys lacking to some bones.
  • -Fixed the VA converter for gmax.
  • -Fixed some bugs concerning export transformation.
  • -Fixed static colors not being exported correctly.
  • -Fixed Lights
Sadly the renderer is not even half finished. I'm shelving it while I work on the importer. I think the importer is of more importance right now.

Bump!

Important for people who used NeoDex 2 or 2.1
A terrible bug was discovered which corrupts your models during game. I suggest you reexport your models with NeoDex 2.2 or recalculate extents with magos.

Version 2.2:

• -Fixed a TERRIBLE bug which made NeoDex produce wrong extents which corrupt's your model's selection and display.
  • -Fixed a bug which caused the exporter to generate an error if you had an object (light, ribbon, particle emitter, etc) with animated parameters.
  • -Fixed a bug conscerning animated Ribbon Emitter's texture slot.
  • -Fixed a bug with Wc3 Materials causing them to not save tiling on bitmaps.
  • -The Exporter now is able to export to MDX format directly [3ds max only]
    • -Models exported on MDX format may not be openable by ana existing editors if you have Particle emitters 1 (Super Spray) or certain animated parameters on objects.
    • Exporting in MDX format is a LOT faster than on MDL. Use it for heavy models.
    • -There are some secret feutures which can only be exported through MDX format directly to gain. Things like Ribbon Emitter's color, alpha and texture slot animations, All of Particle Emitter 1's parameter animations, some other parameter animations. Also Unknown tags on Wc3 materials will only be exported on MDX.
    • -When exporting to MDX there's a weird minor bug in which you must export your model twice to work perfectly (if you export and change it, no need to do it twice again), I think WE and game ignores this bug but Magos and Guesst's convertors don't work well with it.
  • -Fixed up SuperSpray Particle Emitter exporting. To set the emitted model Path use Object Settings. I suggest using MDX Format. [3ds max only]
  • -Wc3 Materials now have to unknown flags which are exportable only to MDX format. I've added them for people willing to research them. [3ds max only]
  • -Added Total time so you know how much the exporter took to export your scene.
  • -Added two more samples for 3dsmax.
  • -Fixed bad models on old samples.
To 3dsmax users: look at the new samples.

On version 2.3: I'll focus on 3 main things: The renderer, multiple unwraps support and mesh tools for fixing smooth groups.

On version 2.4 I'll focus on: The Model Importer.

On version 2.5 the focus will be to fix and improve current tools. No more addons

Bump and Beep!
Neodex 2.3 Released!

Changelog:
Version 2.3:

• - NeoDex 2 now supports multiple unwraps exporting on a same mesh! [will not be seen well in magos, but works perfectly in-game :)]
  • - Smoothgroups are now exported!
  • - Improved the Wc3Material plugin. It will now display teamcolors and teamglows (ofcourse if you place the maps folder correctly when installing).
  • - [3ds max only] Added the basic version of the Wc3 Renderer. It can render Ribbon emitters and fit settings to be more wacraft looking.
  • - Fixed some bugs.
  • - Improved exporting speed even more. (I got a 4k model with biped animations exported in less than 4 seconds)
  • - The progress bar will be more informative now.
  • - Added version specific optimizations.
Btw you can combine both the wc3 render settings with light tracers to make some cool looking WIPs to impress your friends:
128098d1375413247-neodex-2-0-wc3-modeling-kit-3dsmax-gmax-renderpanderanbrewmaster.jpg

Important Note:
If you export to mdl, you can only convert the model's with Guesst's mdl/x convertor. If you want to fix it for magos, remove the CoordId 0, tag (it's used for multiple unwraps).

To-Do next:
  • Work out why exporting animations of some imported models aren't working as dandy as intended.
  • Improve animations exporting (fix scale keys for instance) and improve speed.
  • Start working on the Model Importer.

Attachments

• renderPanderanBrewmaster.jpg
    renderPanderanBrewmaster.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
that means you didn't put the plugins where they were suppose to be.

You need to close max and place them in the 3dsmax's folder.

If you don't know which is the installation folder you can get it by doing this. Run max go to Utilities Panel, go to maxscript -> Open Listener. Then type "getDir #maxRoot" and hit enter. It should return you, your 3dsmax's installation folder, there is where you must place all the folders as they are in the zip. Close 3dsmax and copy/paste the folders there, replace anything if asked.

I think I understand how warcraft 3 team color works but I never quite got hero glow. I bring this up because it looks like you packaged hero glow textures with neodex 2.3. So hero glow is basically is a bunch of planes put on different parts of the model, if I am correct. The problem is I do not know how to texture these planes correctly. Also, I'm supposed to animate them with bones to make them follow the model, right?

EDIT: I think I found a bug in the neodex renderer. When you press the question mark next to "Allow Auto Render", nothing happens.

I think I understand how warcraft 3 team color works but I never quite got hero glow. I bring this up because it looks like you packaged hero glow textures with neodex 2.3. So hero glow is basically is a bunch of planes put on different parts of the model, if I am correct. The problem is I do not know how to texture these planes correctly. Also, I'm supposed to animate them with bones to make them follow the model, right?

EDIT: I think I found a bug in the neodex renderer. When you press the question mark next to "Allow Auto Render", nothing happens.

What Allow auto Render does is integrate wc3 settings into max's normal renderer. So whenever you type F9, it will render under wc3 settings.

About the first one. I'll post in about 1 hour a new version which fixes some important bugs and adds a sample converted from Art Tool's Samples (Pandaren Brewmaster) which shows the correct use of glows.

EDIT: Uploaded version 2.31

Changelog:
Version 2.31:

• - Corrected position and Scale keys exporting if the animated object had a parent.
  • - If you import models with animations from other games, they should properly export now. Same if you use baking tools for FK2IK (different to the FK/IK Snapper) -- Mainly intended for wc3 importers.
  • - Corrected some ribbon emitters rendering issues.
  • - Fixed a bug which made NeoDex crash if you had no keys on an EventObject.
  • - Fixed a bug which prevented Collision shapes from being exported.
  • - Added a new 3dsmax sample: Pandaren Brewmaster from Art Tools (shows you can update Art Tools scenes with some work around), sadly it's not optimized for exporting so the generated file is bigger than that of art tool's exported.

Last edited:
Can you upload the pandaren brewmaster? I'm still a little confused about glows and team color.
Right now I'm also trying to figure out particle effects. I have literally never used them before so it's also fairly confusing.

download the samples folder for 3dsmax. I update it when I add new samples. The pandarenBrewmaster should be inside.

About particle effects. The art tool's documentation explains pretty well how they are used. Particle emitters, in general, are more trial and error.

that means you didn't put the plugins where they were suppose to be.

You need to close max and place them in the 3dsmax's folder.

If you don't know which is the installation folder you can get it by doing this. Run max go to Utilities Panel, go to maxscript -> Open Listener. Then type "getDir #maxRoot" and hit enter. It should return you, your 3dsmax's installation folder, there is where you must place all the folders as they are in the zip. Close 3dsmax and copy/paste the folders there, replace anything if asked.

didn't work, I deleted everything now and the Neodex menu still show up, is there a way to reset newodex or completey uninstall it so i can reinstall it?

the neodex menu will always be there, it's inner in 3dsmax's configuration. to remove it you must customize the interface and remove it from the main menu.

Anyways, the menu is nothing to worry about.

Remember something, there are 2 3dsmax folders, one is for your scenes, renders and images. The other is where 3dsmax actualy is (the install folder). All the neodex folders must be extracted in the installation folder (or copy pasted there)

Now, the installer script may bug sometimes, but it will still work. A good way to check if you got the files where they are supposed to be is by opening the listener and typing "macros.run NeoDexEX" It will run the exporter. If that runs, it means the installation script is bugged.

This will have a zoom tool?? Art Tools have this kind of feature for working with 2d models from the UI, because they are really small.

Well art tools has an option called 2D Model, which makes the exported model be within a limited small space. For me it's a low priority to add that, since making UI models is pretty pointless unless you want custom loading screens with some effects.

the neodex menu will always be there, it's inner in 3dsmax's configuration. to remove it you must customize the interface and remove it from the main menu.

Anyways, the menu is nothing to worry about.

Remember something, there are 2 3dsmax folders, one is for your scenes, renders and images. The other is where 3dsmax actualy is (the install folder). All the neodex folders must be extracted in the installation folder (or copy pasted there)

Now, the installer script may bug sometimes, but it will still work. A good way to check if you got the files where they are supposed to be is by opening the listener and typing "macros.run NeoDexEX" It will run the exporter. If that runs, it means the installation script is bugged.

the installation script is bugged, what should I do?

All what the installation script does is create the menus. So you must create the menus by hand under Customize -> User Interface then go to menus tab. Click the ? Icon to get a fast tutorial on how to edit the user interface. All Neodex commands are found in MDL Kit Category

In either case. You should check that you can export the samples.

Btw which version of max are you using?

Bump!
[sry but it's the only way to inform releases]

New version: 2.32.

Changelog:
Version 2.32:

• - Fixed some exporting bugs
  • - Fixed some bugs on Wc3 renderer.
  • - Wc3 Renderer will now save the settings if you close it.
  • - Improved Ribbon Emitters a bit more.
  • - You can now make some meshes unselectable for wc3.
  • - Extends calculation have been improved. It will now ignore extends of Death, Decay and Dissipate animations for general model extends.
  • - added an overview guide to help you know NeoDex better.
  • - added new sample for 3ds max: The Human Paladin.
There you go.

Level 2
Bump!
[sry but it's the only way to inform releases]

New version: 2.32.

Changelog:
Version 2.32:

• - Fixed some exporting bugs
  • - Fixed some bugs on Wc3 renderer.
  • - Wc3 Renderer will now save the settings if you close it.
  • - Improved Ribbon Emitters a bit more.
  • - You can now make some meshes unselectable for wc3.
  • - Extends calculation have been improved. It will now ignore extends of Death, Decay and Dissipate animations for general model extends.
  • - added an overview guide to help you know NeoDex better.
  • - added new sample for 3ds max: The Human Paladin.
There you go.
can you post the older version the neodex 0.78b please i need it the latest is not compatible in my os for 3ds max please ....

Bump (Yeh another version, but this one is important)

Fixed the installation bug most people had from versions 2.3 to 2.32

Version 2.4:

• - Fixed the installation bug everybody was having except for me (dummy me forgot to uncomment a macroscript which needed to be installed, never noticed because I always had it installed :/)
  • - The Exporter now exports IK affected bones and constrained bones (only Orientation and Look At Constraints are supported)
  • - Fixed some problems with BlizzPart2 and gmax
  • - Fixed some bugs with cameras.
  • - Fixed a bug which made NeoDex to throw an error if your model had unwrap animations.
  • - There's some new interface feutures which are not really implemented (Baking on object settings). (hehe sorry, just don't use it yet).
  • - Updated overview guide.
  • - Added .78b to legacy scripts.
In this version there's a particular new Feuture: IK Systems Exporting!

I don't know you guys, but I really hate to convert an IK system to FK before exporting. First because it's messy, Second because I need to do a lot of work around, third converting inside max is not always accurate.

The solution was simple. Why not make the exporter export IK systems directly? The result turned out to be great. I found a way to help approximate FK keys without converting the IK. The result makes only the needed keys (won't make uneeded scale and position keys) (well actualy it makes some junk sometimes, but meh, is not harmful) and produce better looking animations than with converters like 3dsmaxy's IK2FK or my IK Snapper.

You see that scene:
attachment.php

It exports just as it is. No Bones suffered the evilness of a FK2IK converter during the production of the model shown below.

(sry the animations are not that great, they were made in a rush, but they are exactly as they are in the scene).

Attachments

• IKSystems 2.jpg
    IKSystems 2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 493
  • villagerTest.mdx
    36.9 KB · Views: 90
Level 25
In this version there's a particular new Feature: IK Systems Exporting!

I don't know you guys, but I really hate to convert an IK system to FK before exporting. First because it's messy, Second because I need to do a lot of work around, third converting inside max is not always accurate.

The solution was simple. Why not make the exporter export IK systems directly? The result turned out to be great. I found a way to help approximate FK keys without converting the IK. The result makes only the needed keys (won't make uneeded scale and position keys) (well actualy it makes some junk sometimes, but meh, is not harmful) and produce better looking animations than with converters like 3dsmaxy's IK2FK or my IK Snapper.

That is some great news my friend. Too bad I don't have any free time to test it.

All what the installation script does is create the menus. So you must create the menus by hand under Customize -> User Interface then go to menus tab. Click the ? Icon to get a fast tutorial on how to edit the user interface. All Neodex commands are found in MDL Kit Category

In either case. You should check that you can export the samples.

Btw which version of max are you using?

3DS Max 2013

hmm I see, try out installing version 2.4. I did a little fix to the installer, if that doesn't work then we can keep checking.

Well I'm sure you'll have sometime later to play with this baby.

I added the menu manually

But now I have another problem, am trying to export my 3DS Max Animated model with a Biped, I used your Exporter but it failed and this error message showed in the listener:
Code:
Error scanning macroscript file: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2013 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\MDL Toolkit-VANeoDex.mcr, macroscript: VANeoDex; Error reading ToolTip value
	First character of token not " or ~
*** -- Runtime error: Exceeded the vertex countSkin:Skin ***

that's the most wtf error I've seen. First of all, why were you using the VA Convertor? Do you have capes or clothes or something?

Also how is your model skinned to the biped? You used AT Skinning or an Skin modifier ?

The wtf is the I didn't use the VA converter, I used the exporter.
I skined it with a skin modifier, is there another way 0_o.
Edit: Also how do you use Plugins like Wc3 material without Installer?

The wtf is the I didn't use the VA converter, I used the exporter.
I skined it with a skin modifier, is there another way 0_o.
Edit: Also how do you use Plugins like Wc3 material without Installer?

Better use AT Skinning (look at my basic animation tutorial, skin section or at the samples). it's easier if you are getting to know the tools. Skin Modifier is actualy to low level and can cause some problems if not used correctly. EDIT:(In either case, the problem with your skin modifier is that you left some vertices unskinned, I'll add it to the warnning mode, thaks for the report)

The plugins are automatically installed (they don't need the installer), If you want to use the Warcraft 3 Material just go to the material editor and create a new Warcraft 3 material.

You should check if everything is fine by looking at the samples.