• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need opinions about classes, stats and combat system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello guyz, my english sux but i'll do my best.
I just wanna know if you could help me with my future game.

Here are the 6 archetypes and their classes :
Like i said before, i sux in english so i'm sure there are names that arent suited in this list or maybe not in the good evolution order. That's why i need your help here, you can give me all ideas you have for classes.

The Warrior

-Path 1 : Warrior - Gladiator - Myrmidon - Destroyer
-Path 2 : Warrior - Guardian - Juggernaut - Defender

The Knight

-Path 1 : Knight - Crusader - Templar - Paladin
-Path 2 : Knight - Reaver (no idea what is it) - BlackGuard - Nightmare

The Rogue

-Path 1 : Rogue - Assassin - Ninja - Shadow (or Ghost or Phantom, btw what's the difference?)
-Path 2 : Rogue - Bard - Minstrel - Troubadour

The Scout

-Path 1 : Scout - Hunter - Trapper - Sentinel
-Path 2 : Scout - Ranger - Sniper - Howitzer

The Mage

-Path 1 : Mage - Wizard - Elementalist - ?
-Path 2 : Mage - Warlock - Demonologist -?

The Priest

-Path 1 : Priest - Cleric - Bishop - Cardinal
-Path 2 : Priest - Necromancer - ? - ?

Here are the 6 attributes where the player can put his points from lvl up :

• STRENGH : Increase physical dmg you inflict. Useful for many warrior and knight's offensive skills.
  • CONSTITUTION : Increase total HP, HP recovery and decrease the physical dmg you receive. Useful for many warrior ans knight's defensive skills.
  • DEXTERITY : Increase critical rate and critical power. Useful for many rogue and scout's offensive skills.
  • AGILITY : Increase evasion rate and evasion power. Useful for many rogue and scout's defensive skills.
  • INTELLIGENCE : Increase magical dmg you inflict. Useful for many mage and priest's offensive skills..
  • WISDOM : Increase total MP, MP recovery and decrease the magical dmg you receive. Useful for many mage and priest's defensive skills.

So we have 12 different stats from the 6 main attributes :

• Physical attack (strengh + weapon) : how much physical dmg you can inflict.
  • Physical defense (constitution + armor) : how much you can reduce the physical dmg you receive.
  • Magical attack (intelligence + weapon) : how much magical dmg you can inflict.
  • Magical defense (wisdom + armor) : how much you can reduce the magical dmg you receive.
  • Healpoints (constitution + jewels) : how many healpoints you have in total.
  • Manapoints (wisdom + jewels) : how many manapoints you have in total.
  • Healpoints recovery (constitution + jewels) : how many healpoints you regen per second.
  • Manapoints recovery (wisdom + jewels) : how many manapoints you regen per second.
  • Critical rate (dexterity + weapon) : how much % chance you have to do a critical hit.
  • Evasion rate (agility + armor) : how much % chance you have to evade an attack.
  • Critical power (dexterity + weapon) : how much do you increase the dmg inflicted in a critical hit.
  • Evasion efficiency (agility + armor) : how much do you decrease the dmg received in a evasion.

The term 'evasion' is not really suited because you only decrease the dmg received and not totally evade the attack, but that's what i want.
I need your help here because i have to know how many points the hero should get for example in physical attack for each strengh point. This will be very important to create a working fighting system.

Combat :

I have to know how i could use the different stats for dmg.
I have some ideas but i'm not sure they are the best i can do.

example 1 : you make a physical attack
your physical power / his physical defense = ratio X
ratio X * your weapon dmg * critical power (if you are lucky) = dmg
His life - dmg * evasion (if he is lucky)

example 2 : you make a physical attack
your physical power / his physical defense = ratio X
ratio X + your weapon dmg * critical power (if you are lucky) = dmg
His life - dmg * evasion (if he is lucky)

example 3 : you make a physical attack
your physical power - his physical defense = dmg
dmg * critical power (if you are lucky) = true dmg
His life - true dmg * evasion (if he is lucky)
(But if he has more defense that you have attack you are fucked so it's not good)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem I see is that you could make a mage who spends all his points on upgrading spell damage with the minimum ammount of mana needed to function. As such he could become insanly rigged damage wise.

Like wise, a melee hero could pump consitiuion and wisdom to become a godly tank that cant be killed.

You should probably have a fixed attribute gain for each class as that would allow better ballencing. Maybe allow 3 different builds of each class, with different attribute allocation like tank, damager, ballenced so that the user has the feel of some control over his stats but can not break the game with them.

-Path 2 : Priest - Necromancer - ? - ?
As you lack names, ill give you some.
-Path 2 : Priest - Cultist - Necromancer - Lich
Everyone knows that Priests start dark cults before moving on to become full blown necromancers. Also the ultimate embodyment of the dark arts of necromancy is to become a lich, a being who life or death can not stop (beyond mortality). Yes this progression is a tad predictable but you can not beat classics.

Example 1 has the problem that it totally ruins weak stuff. Not only does your weapon power increase as the game progresses but also your attack power so you get a power of 2 occuring to your damage as the game progresses. At the start an enemy with 10 defense might seem tough but when you have 100 physical power and a weapon with 100 damage that is 1000 damage straight away. The problem is also late game the respone becomes poor with enemies with twice your attack in defense taking half damage and like wise enemies with half your attack in defense double and as values could be in the hundreds, this could represent a major defense ammount meaning you will eithor have to start using insane values (1000s for tough stuff) or everything starts to hover between the 0.5 and 2 thresh hold.

Example 2 is stupid. Ratio in most cases would no nothing but to early creeps it would instantly kill.

Example 3 has potential, SC2 uses something like this already however it means early stuff die easilyl and late stuff are unkillable early on.

Level 9
As you lack names, ill give you some.
-Path 2 : Priest - Cultist - Necromancer - Lich
Everyone knows that Priests start dark cults before moving on to become full blown necromancers. Also the ultimate embodyment of the dark arts of necromancy is to become a lich, a being who life or death can not stop (beyond mortality).

Liches store their souls in a "Soul Jar" thus reborning every time they die until soul jar is destroyed. Just something I heard somewhere.

You asked difference about ghost, shadow or phantom is following:
shadow - black thing behind you when u stand on light ( if u r facing it ).
ghost - spirit of dead person
phantom - not so sure, maybe mysterios person

I like that knight can turn into nightmare, although paladin fight for Light or good side, so nightmare sounds too evil. But thats not a rule.

And rogue turning into Troubadur is just to funny. You might consider changing that.

Just a question: Where is the point in changing classes for the archetypes when there is nothing else to choose, other than a cosmetic change?

I can see the sense changing a warrior to either gladiator or guardian, but where is the point in the other two following classes, as the path is determined after selecing either guardian or gladiator? In my oppinion, you should either get rid of the 2nd and 3rd advancement or create a branching out tree instead.

Level 3
Here's an idea i came off for using more abilities:You could use a dialog to select one (or more) of your learned abilities that are added there. (like diablo 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.