• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Necroposting" in resource threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Please, I want to know who responds to my reports and who deletes my posts in resource threads.

"Your post in the thread SpringFaeV2.blp was deleted. Reason: Please avoid necro-posting. We have the Site Rules for a reason."

Are you SERIOUS!?

To rate a resource, a comment MUST be written in the resource's thread! Moreover, there are many resource threads that are locked.

Reactions: pyf

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I did it. You've been necro-posting an awful lot lately. Maybe Ralle should add the option to add rating without the need to comment.
Well, I always assumed resource threads are not normal threads but rating without a comment works too as it saves time (but keeps the rating anonymous which I don't see as honourable).
Thanks for coming out.

It's just anonymous. Maybe some people prefer to rate resources but do not have something to say or suggest on a particular resource they would rate.

Please, I want to know who responds to my reports and who deletes my posts in resource threads.

I only respond to Chat, Skins section, Arena, Texturing & Surfacing and Terrain Board reports.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's just anonymous. Maybe some people prefer to rate resources but do not have something to say or suggest on a particular resource they would rate.
Yeah. They could do it like how the reputation shows who gave it to said post and what they wrote. But that's another story.
Let's just see what the chief says. You could call for a meeting with him and the resource mods+/-revs to decide the best course of action for these types of threads.

Resource threads are never banned from posting, and any feedback is always welcome. Necroposting does/should not be relevant there.
@Ash @Ralle maybe Site Rules would need an update regarding this.
Necroposting is only listed under "doubleposts / bumps" but is actually unrelated. Maybe it can get it's own §.

Level 32
The unwritten guideline was to allow it in resource and tutorial sections, and / or if it is a significant bump or feedback comment.
Well, it's written as "unless sanctioned by staff members," and staff members have sanctioned it for resources, tutorials, and useful comments time and time again that it's become an unwritten guideline.
Reprimand: Necro-Posting*
- When a thread is three months old or older, it is no longer considered "bumping" to post in it.
- This is considered "Necro-Posting", which is prohibited unless a staff member sanctions it.

Therefore, we should make it written. This is our fault for being unclear, and I was meaning to official suggest changing the rules a year ago. Guess I forgot :p. @Ralle I'd like us to change it to:

- When a thread is three months old or older, it is no longer considered "bumping" to post in it.
- This is considered "Necro-Posting", which is prohibited unless a staff member sanctions it or if the late post is considered useful.
- Necro-Posting does not apply to resources (bundles) and tutorials, so anyone is free to comment on old maps, models, etc.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The unwritten guideline was to allow it in resource and tutorial sections, and / or if it is a significant bump or feedback comment.
Well, it's written as "unless sanctioned by staff members," and staff members have sanctioned it for resources, tutorials, and useful comments time and time again that it's become an unwritten guideline.
- This is considered "Necro-Posting", which is prohibited unless a staff member sanctions it.

Therefore, we should make it written. [... ]

I personally came up with the 'Necrobump' concept as a workaround.

I wanted to make clear I was knowingly breaking / bending this somewhat restrictive Rule. Hence the extra humour (hopefully) added with all the 'Resurrection' videos, in the hopes I would not get a reprimand and my post would not get deleted.

Nah, because if we do we're going to adding a bunch of exceptions when the suggestion for expansing the necropost rule snowballs.
I did some necrobumping mainly in the Computer Tech sub-forum where appropriate imho, after reading all the threads there.

Level 21
Yes. But the exception would be that first, the thread creator has to "necropost" and only after are other users allowed to reply/write.
Fully agree,I don't see why the rule should apply to the thread creator of a map development thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.