• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Naga V1.3

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: SeTh_WC3 and Kyrbi0
I always wanted to play as the naga, and although there are people that have made maps with them as playable, they didn't quite "click" to me. So I went and made my own take on the race.

EDIT: I think this is just about done. I might take this off the submission page now :)

Legends:
Units
Items
Buildings

• Coral Beds - The Naga's housing. It passively heals buildings and mechanical units near it.
  • Turtle Caravans - A slow mobile drop-off unit. Mur'gul Slaves may garrison inside it and attack. It's mechanical, so they can also repair it. It can also carry up to 6 items at a time.
  • Betrayer's Amulet - The naga's level 3 item, bought at the Chamber of Relics. Can turn target enemies to neutral units.
  • Summoners - Your resident supports. They kill one of your units to heal others. Also, they can transfer their mana to other non-Summoner units.
    Their most powerful ability is to teleport a single unit, ally or enemy, to their location.
    Though the cast range is still limited.
  • Naga buildings can be built on shallow water and unbuildable tiles.
  • Naga buildings, except coral beds and tidal guardians, will explode upon death, damaging nearby enemy units. Damage varies depending on the building.
    • You can also upgrade Sunken Constructs at the Abyssal Gateway to do this as well.
  • Tridentyrs - Your glass cannons. They have a considerable attack range, and can improve this even further by using Focus, at the cost of their movement speed however.
  • Serpents - A Mur'gul Reaver's pet. Automatically trained upon research, alongside a mur'gul reaver. They can detect invisible units.
And that's about it, I believe.

Strengths:
  • Expands faster than other races
  • Strong against large groups
  • Bases are harder to siege
Weaknesses:
  • Units are much more expensive
  • Weaker early game
  • Tech-reliant

Please give constructive feedback. :)

• Fixed the Summoners', Royal Guards', and Tidemaster's broken images.
  • Reduced the cooldown and mana cost of the Tidemaster's Osmosis.
  • Reduced the area of effect of the Battlemaiden's Soul Siphon.
  • Reduced the mana cost of the Enchantress's Enchantress's Favor.
  • Fixed a bug where researching Drowning Breath would remove the Serpent Wyvern from the Abyssal Gateway.
  • Changed the idle worker icon to a rusty mining pick.
  • Fixed the Highborne Vesti- err... Cloister of Cascades tooltip
  • Fixed a bug where Cloister of Cascades would cause the game to crash
  • Summoners:
    • Increased the healing of Blood Pact
    • Mana Flow now requires Summoner Adept Training
    • Mana Flow shortcut key changed to [ W ]
    • REMOVED - Can no longer cast Summon Sea Elemental
    • NEW ABILITY - Gateway: Teleports a single ally or enemy beside her after a brief delay
      • Requires Summoner Master Training
  • Royal Guards:
    • Changed the tooltip a bit
    • Lowered base damage and defense
    • Lowered the damage and mana cost of Crushing Wave
    • Lowered the damage and stun duration of Frost Bolt
    • Increased Gold and Lumber costs
    • Increased Royal Guard Training's Gold and Lumber Costs
  • Snap Dragons:
    • Lowered base damage
    • Increased Slow Poison Damage Per Second
  • Blessing of the Rift:
    • Increased damage reduction
  • Dragon Turtles:
    • Lowered base defense
    • Increased damage return factor of Spiked Shells
  • Turtle Caravans now have the Spiked Shells ability
  • Sunken Constructs:
    • Damage type changed to Seige.
    • Lowered the explosion damage from Implosion Hex
    • Increased Gold and Lumber cost of Implosion Hex
    • Lowered base defense
    • Tooltip change
  • Tooltip changed for Sirens
  • Increased Gold and Lumber costs of Couatls
Small update. Mostly balance changes.
  • Royal Guard
    • REMOVED - Can no longer cast Crushing Tides
    • REMOVED - Royal Guard Training
    • Base mana pool increased
    • Base damage increased
    • Reduced the damage of Frost Bolt
  • Couatl
    • No longer requires the Chamber of Relics
    • Abolish Magic now only requires the Chamber of Relics
    • Base damage lowered
  • Summoner
    • Gateway now summons units immediately. Units are briefly unable to take action upon arrival.
    • Increased the range of Gateway
    • Mana Flow restoration increased
  • Tidemaster
    • Changed the targeting reticle of Torrent
    • Reduced agility and intelligence per level
    • Increased base agility

• At the start of the game, Trees of Life will sometimes uproot themselves. (Still don't know how to fix this :( )
  • Death sometimes causes a leg of a Sunken Construct to spin around a random unit.

Models:
Blizzard Entertainment
Champara Bros
WILLTHEALMIGHTY
UgoUgo
JetFangInferno
Moyack
AndrewOverload519
Kino
Sellenisko
Edwardswolentoe
Tarrasque (Jigrael)
Ujimasa Hojo
kellym0
HammerFist132
EnetheruAnuon
armel
Firefoot
Misha
Kehel
Kitabatake
Callahan
Ampharos_222
Shiva's Enchantment
Azure Phoenix
JesusHipster
Alfryd

Icons:
Blizzard Entertainment
JollyD
Sunreaver
CRAZYRUSSIAN
bigapple90
Darkfang
The_Silent
Hellx-Magnus
BETABABY
Redeemer59
NFWar
Marcus DAB
Kimberly
Hemske
Tarrasque (Jigrael)
Big Dub
San
Kuhneghetz (Dan van Ohllus)
kola
AndrewOverload519
Ujimasa Hojo
Sin'dorei300
Uncle Fester
CeDiL
-BerZeKeR-
Lelling
Kimbo
Praytic
Nudl9
Mr.Goblin
Blood Raven
NFWar
Hadeis

Triggers:
Blizzard Entertainment
f0rsak3n
Fagge
-BerzekeR-
war666
Contents

Naga V1.3 (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I love how pretty much everyone has their own version of the Naga; heck, I do. It's kinda neat how Blizzard's little half-race has inspired nearly all of us at one point or another.

I think yours is one of the closest I've seen to how I will make mine, so kudos there. : )

JZG

JZG

Level 3
Well the Race is pretty god-damned OP. I suggest balance it out, Overall Great map! 3/5

I kinda knew they were but without anyone else for me test it out against, I wasn't sure which ones to change. :p It would be so helpful if you could suggest which ones I should take some power off.

In my head, I think I should reduce the stun duration of Frost Bolt and the damage from Crushing Waves. Both are abilities the Royal Guard uses, and just reduce his attack damage overall.

Also, I'm thinking of changing the sea elemental of the Summoner into something less oppressive.

I might also remove the Blessing of the Rift upgrade, it seems overprotection (I couldn't help it, I'm so sorry :p) to me.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I kinda knew they were but without anyone else for me test it out against, I wasn't sure which ones to change. :p It would be so helpful if you could suggest which ones I should take some power off.

In my head, I think I should reduce the stun duration of Frost Bolt and the damage from Crushing Waves. Both are abilities the Royal Guard uses, and just reduce his attack damage overall.

Also, I'm thinking of changing the sea elemental of the Summoner into something less oppressive.

I might also remove the Blessing of the Rift upgrade, it seems overprotection (I couldn't help it, I'm so sorry :p) to me.
If you're talking about/worried about balance & relative OPness, lemme just point out one thing: no standard melee Unit has an active 'Direct Damage' ability (discounting Dispels vs. Summons). Also, none of them Summon anything (except for the Necromancer, who kinda has to, and they are very weak Skeletons // and the Troll Witch Doctor, but those are Wards (not quite summons exactly) and don't move or do anything player-controlled). I have studied Blizzard's design of Wc3 for many years now and I am of the opinion that where holes like that exist, there's a reason for it. (sometimes it's simple to suss out; Units, unlike Heroes, can be massed, so Units with active Direct Damage abilities would be OP).

So my suggestion would be to remove Frost Bolt, Crushing Wave & the Summoner's Sea Elemental entirely (replacing them as necessary; Summoner might need another spell, but the Royal Guard might be able to get by as simply the "big powerful T3 brute"). That will go a long way towards ensuring balance.

Reactions: JZG
If you're talking about/worried about balance & relative OPness, lemme just point out one thing: no standard melee Unit has an active 'Direct Damage' ability (discounting Dispels vs. Summons). Also, none of them Summon anything (except for the Necromancer, who kinda has to, and they are very weak Skeletons // and the Troll Witch Doctor, but those are Wards (not quite summons exactly) and don't move or do anything player-controlled). I have studied Blizzard's design of Wc3 for many years now and I am of the opinion that where holes like that exist, there's a reason for it. (sometimes it's simple to suss out; Units, unlike Heroes, can be massed, so Units with active Direct Damage abilities would be OP).

So my suggestion would be to remove Frost Bolt, Crushing Wave & the Summoner's Sea Elemental entirely (replacing them as necessary; Summoner might need another spell, but the Royal Guard might be able to get by as simply the "big powerful T3 brute"). That will go a long way towards ensuring balance.

Depends, by example you can limit the damage of a Direct Damage Ability like Carrion Swarm to deal certain set damage, in the other hand for single target spells I do a simple trick; set it to have to levels, when used against heroes or targets of level 6 or more (ordered event) I set the ability to level 2 and re-order the cast, therefore I can adjust the damage/stun/slow/etc against these targets more easily. If the target is a regular jut set to level 1 and it would act normally, of course I control it with conditions so that the power doesn't switch levels if the target is the correct and matches the current level of the ability.
I did this with my unit Chaosbinder (Orc Offensive Caster unit), Mana Burn is it's first spell, and it burns 100 mana in regular units and only 50 mana upon other units. Of course they will be annoying for enemy heroes in any battle, but that is the idea, it is an RTS, and if you know that the enemy has 10 of these to burn your 500 mp pool to the ground then send forth your units and wait until you can send your hero, you can also control it by adding counter items, like a charged item that only silences non-hero units, etc. I've balanced many stuff by just adding a Dispel item on each racial shop.

Finally you could also use a Damage Detection System.

PD: I've also limited the effectivity of these spells by removing armor and instead causing the armor upgrades to increase the unit health by 20%, since armor doesn't reduce the damage received by spells.

Another suggestion is that if you have a Summoned unit make it take extra damage from magic or dispels, so that it can be erased easily, also if it is a "Summon Sea Elemental", change it to Feral Spirit as the base asility, since it will prevent them from summoning more than one.

Last edited:
Reactions: JZG
Level 15
The game lag spikes when played with 7 AI players, check triggers for leaks, or AI, if it is custom.
Also, I suggest that Naga units don't have so many similar abilities, like having several abilities that add AoE to their attack, or having two of those splash teleport abilities, one on the hero, and the other on the unit. It is important to have diversity in the abilities of a race.

Level 23
Naga Race.
The trait that stood out to me the most was the existence of the mobile harvester, very RA2-esque.
I dont often judge custom races by balance, however there were few things that were off.
- Traitor's Amulet; pretty much a Dark Ranger Ult for less mana and on a 125 gold item.
- Summoners mana transfer becomes stupidly strong since ethereal form huge mana regen.

Design wise, the biggest gripe I have is with the heroes.
Their skillsets are...not very melee game suited.
Generally, plenty of short cooldown spells with short buff durations. Some mana/movespeed scaling nukes, also rather strange for said gametype.
Not a bad design for a more hero oriented game type, for standard matches; rather odd.

Errors
- Sunken Constructs do not have the "Hex Implosion" ability despite what the upgrades/tooltips claim.
- Snap Dragons have an active ability that uses mana, they do not have any mana
- Royal Guard's build tooltip references its default abilities.

(Awaiting Update)

~ Reviewed, Kino

Level 19
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation

No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map reviewer once you have updated the map.

Set to Substandard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!