• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Myth or Fact? Less objects = More optimized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Now let me tell you what happens. My map had 643 custom units and 447 custom items. I wanted to test something. I have reduced 643 - 447 to 299 - 148. Saved my map and optimized it with Vexorian's Map Optimizer. Started to the game and observed it for 3 minutes. I have tested it my aos map (moba style map) and i didn't realized any difference. But many people told me the opposite. Am i not observing carefully?
Deleting hunders of custom objects and items makes the game smoother?

Level 21
Not necessarily, maps can have 1000s of custom units/items/abilities (if those abilities do not have 100+ levels) and will run smooth.
Triggers are much more of a culprit generally.

But it also depends on the hardware of your players, i remember that i could barely load some heavy rpg maps in the old days (which had only few triggers) due to hitting the RAM limit and once ingame too many effects on screen would decrease fps as well.

Not sure if this is relevant to you, but if you have a look at some copy of the Patch 1.30.0 patch notes and just search for the text "Retera":

They note:
Custom ability names no longer cause increased load times and in game lag

I do not know the full extent of the bug inside their internal systems, but what I understood is that the Warcraft III game would take a much longer time to load if I created a computer-generated map file with 10000 custom abilities that had unique names, versus a computer-generated map file with 10000 custom abilities that had an unmodified original name shared between all abilities.

Although this does not offer a huge amount of detail, what I know is that if your users were clinging to the old Patch 1.29 binaries or something like that, you may experience the needlessly longer load times in certain edge cases when having lots of World Editor objects. The difference between the two computer-generated maps with 10000 abilities was absolutely night and day between the map with unique name abilities and the map with default (unmodified) name abilities.

Originally Kam and I were discussing about this problem on 1.29 because the version 1.29 had introduced the "bug" of the artificially longer load times when using unique names, though. So, if you are not using Patch 1.29 specifically, then it is more likely that if you have any kind of similar problem it is probably a similar but slightly different case that was not fixed -- or something like that.

Level 21
it stands to reason that creating a new object takes more space, since the original item still exists in memory, but I'm pretty sure the size difference is usually pretty negligible unless you are talking about creating absurd amounts of objects. also, you could probably create custom objects and delete the originals for a similar effect...(although I feel like that might mess up some blizzard hardcoding... like the way the you can only change the art for the original starfall and not it's clones or something like that...)

Status
Not open for further replies.