• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Not enough storage to process this command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

I've been running into this error quite often when deleting custom objects in the object editor.

1iztbn.png

At first I thought it was because of using Lua object generation and writing to a bad/non-existent field.

So I did the following test with 6 separate object generation scripts, call them A, B, C, D, E, and F.

I ran them each sequentially and then deleted all the custom made objects to see if I could re-create the crash and narrow down where I had a bad statement in my Lua script.

Thus my tests were like this:

call script A, save map, delete all objects

call script A, B, save map, delete all objects

call script A, B, ..., save map, delete all objects

If the map crashed whenever adding a new script and deleting those objects, I would want to say there was an error in the script. In my first instance, it seemed like script D was causing the crashes.

But then, in another test, adding in the sequence A, B, C caused crashes. So I thought it was script C.

I then isolated both scripts D and C for further testing:

call only script C, save map, delete all objects

call only script D, save map, delete all objects

To my chagrin, the map did not crash in either instance.

So I am wondering, if the crashes are really me making a mistake in the Lua script, or if I'm hitting a limit in the number of custom objects?

For reference I have about:

~450 custom abilities

~180 custom units

~20 custom items

Edit: Some further observations / testing

In my full map with all the previously mentioned custom objects, I was able to delete 148 custom objects in a row by holding down the delete key without a crash.

In this same map, it also now crashes when deleting custom objects rapidly like I was able to.

The confusing thing is, I did not modify or change any of the scripts (and they ran only once).

So why would I be able to delete 148 objects in rapid succession at one point in opening the map, but at another have the map crash just by rapidly deleting more than 3 at a time?

This is inconsistent behavior and so it's hard for me to know what the problem is. Is this a memory limitation (is it really that costly to delete a custom object???). If so, how do I give the editor more memory (I've got 16 GBs in RAM)?

Further edit: More observations

Ok so it seems it is ok for me to rapidly delete my custom objects which are units.

But if I delete abilities at any pace (say 1 ability every 5 seconds), it crashes always when trying to delete an 8th ability.

But as far as I can tell, the objects of each ability script by themselves do not crash when being deleted rapidly (as shown in the first tests).

So it can't be a memory issue (unless I have too many abilities?) and what I now suspect is that somehow my scripts are writing to each other's objects, because only in combination do I get crashes.

So here's more information:

-It seems the number of ability objects I can delete depends on their race/classification.

Undead/Unit abilities crash when trying to delete a 3rd ability
Item abilities crash now when trying to delete a 3rd ability

Human/Hero abilities crash when trying to delete an 8th ability

Please advise!

Level 15
Important edit: Non-deterministic behavior

I'm getting some non-deterministic behavior. I did this script combo:

A,B,C,D and then deleted all the objects, and no crash

But I then did it again, and voila the map crashed!

Did it a third time, fourth, and fifth time---can't seem to repeat that crash.

This makes no sense...

Patch 1.26.0.6401, which is the newest patch? I go on bnet frequently, never have to dl any more patches.

In any case, is there any way I can delete all my custom objects programmatically?

Edit: So it can't be an issue of actual memory usage.

I made 900 custom abilities based off Entangling Roots and gave each 6 levels. This more than double the number of custom abilities I was dealing with.

I was able to delete them all by holding down delete key and no crash. So somehow a script or two is writing bad values to a bad place.

But why would this cause a crash when deleting ANY custom ability? Does the editor save a crash log and perhaps someone can look up exactly why these crashes take place?

Another edit:

I also thought it may be because I flouted the hero ability notation, where all hero abilities' raw codes begin with two capital letters...instead I had been using a capital A followed by a lower case letter.

But I did the same test: 900 entangling roots each with 6 levels named "a000" to "a899," no crashes at all--I was able to delete them all rapidly by holding down delete key.

Another edit:

I think I found one bad write--I was writing a variable to field but treating the variable like an array (odd Lua didn't complain).

Now I can delete ~26/27 abilities before the editor crashes...but in another instance I was able to delete 46/47 abilities before it crashed. inconsistent results/behavior...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.