• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Music] Teuncreemers vs Wherewolftherewolf (vs Fanny.Shaver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
[Music] Teuncreemers vs Wherewolftherewolf

The Hive Workshop

Challenge

Challenge Theme:
Jungle. Meaning that the challengers are supposed to compose a soundtrack that suits to something representing a jungle.

Subject:
Music Composing

Theme:
Jungle.

Challenger:
Teuncreemers

Opponent(s):
Wherewolftherewolf

Challenge Duration:
2 weeks
Ending: 30th of April 23:59

Proposed Reputation Award:
15 reputation

Challenge judging:
Army-of-Pandas

Challenge conditions:
The track should be between 2:00 and 8:00 minutes.
This challenge basically follows the general rules as if it's a Music Contest like the one that has recently ended in order to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
Level 19
Oke great,
lets wait for Fanny's answer and if he doesnt answer we could start this weekend?
Oh and a judge would be awesome.
Maybe Army-of-Pandas? I could ask him.

Level 19
Great to hear AoP!
The only prob is that fanny aint responding and I got the feeling he wont respond for a while either. So it's up to Wherewolf.
We could start the contest with just us two,... tomorrow?

Level 4
You created thread on 13th and fanny's Last Activity: 04-11-2010 04:56 AM. I had a brief chat with him on thehelper and I've found out, that he hates hive due to moderation and administration retardness. (Quite following). Still, I noticed he don't have visitor messages and if you sent him priv then I don't think he knows about it. Try in here:

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147841&page=8

Level 19
Well Idc if you want to start without him Teun, he probably wouldn't accept since he emo/rage quit (I wonder what pissed him off, his music was good)

Yeah sure, let's just start on it.
Meaning that the deadline will become 30 April 23:59.
Think we might finish earlier, but 2 weeks is nice because well.. If you can't get any inspiration you still got a while to get some.:)

Contest Started!

Level 19
Oh forgot to mention one thing about WIP's.
I don't mind to post WIP's in here but it might become a bit hard because I compose my music downstairs on Cubase connected to our piano. To record a composed track it costs me quite much work so I usually save stuff on that computer (old Atari that isn't connected to internet) and don't bother to record it until it's finished.
So I don't mind to post WIP's but prefer to not make it a part of a rule or something, because it costs me like 30min to only record it and put all stuff on the computer then.
Oh well.. I could film it with my mobile phone lol...

Well up to you.
Atleast 1 WIP as a rule or not?

EDIT: and thanks AoP:D

Level 19
Submission or not, it's started.
I can see no reason why this shouldnt get accepted and its 2 week anyway.
This will get approved within 2 weeks for sure.

Level 19
It's against the rules for someone to start a challenge without moderator approval though, you can't yet work on your submissions unless you tell Pyritie to approve it...

Sigh...

1. Why would someone like Pyritie not approve this?
2. Both Wherewolf and me know the contest theme already. Who can check if we actually started after the 'starting date' anyway?
3. This is just something for fun. Even if my opponent, in this case Wherewolf, would start earlier then me or would have any advantages because of time, I wouldn't care. It's just something for fun.

If you insist we can 'close' the contest again. I can start working on my submission while not telling anyone and when the challenge opens again provide people with WIP's. You see the whole point is that even if we close this challenge until someone approves it we can still work on it because well it's a challenge with 2 people so we only have to have our own agreements and well we just made them yesterday. It's only to wait till it get's official but our agreements are solid already.

If my 'reaction' here is unacceptable then I'm sorry but you have to understand. I forgot that it first had to be approved but I think it's a bit late to turn it back now because well that would mean I would have to delete the stuff I made yesterday (what I won't do ofc, I would just be unfair and say I made it at the new starting date, which would make this pointless). I think the best solution in this case is to just let us go on with this challenge that started yesterday. If this challenge is for some reason unacceptable I'm sure Pyritie will notify us then. Once again, I forgot to ask for approval, but you got to understand it's a bit weird to 'pause' or 'stop' this challenge for now.

Level 4
I am actually myself pretty interested what if fanny did joined that challenge. He helped me making few nice sounds for my game and so to it i just decided to paste this. He hates hive bad. At quite few points I follow this what he says... Or even all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Hive can have bad sides and even if your opinion is that moderators suck and there are alot of noobs in here you still gotta be able to see the good things. A big community with alot of people interested in the same things; wc3 world editor and everything related. So well. I think Fanny should chill down a littlebit and well, even if people on hive react stupid then just try to ignore that.
If that's the reason he wouldn't want to join this challenge then so be it.:)
Was just for fun:D

Well I know WiP's aren't necessary, but I still want to post some to get opinions on it. All I have right now is the introduction percussion, so it's a bit empty - on top of making it much longer I'm planning on adding some ambiance effects through this part.

Its in 7/8 timing.
Atm I don't like how the quality of the sound diminished a bit (especially of the woodblock in the opening) from exporting it. Idk, this could either be from having the levels so low on everything (I'll have to adjust the overall volume, atm its a bit quiet) or try exporting it higher quality.
Primeval WiP

Level 19
Well I know WiP's aren't necessary, but I still want to post some to get opinions on it. All I have right now is the introduction percussion, so it's a bit empty - on top of making it much longer I'm planning on adding some ambiance effects through this part.

Its in 7/8 timing.
Atm I don't like how the quality of the sound diminished a bit (especially of the woodblock in the opening) from exporting it. Idk, this could either be from having the levels so low on everything (I'll have to adjust the overall volume, atm its a bit quiet) or try exporting it higher quality.
Primeval WiP

Sounds cool but it's not 7/8. It's 5/4.
I also made something and straight after I recorded it with my celphone the electricity crashed in our street so I didn't save it:S. Anyways here's what I made so far but what isn't my WiP anymore because it's gone.
For some reason recording sound only sounds much worse then recording a video on my phone so I recorded it as mp4. My track was in 3/4 timing.
Because it was saved as mp4 it was 39mb so I decided to place it on youtube for a little while.

Sounds cool but it's not 7/8. It's 5/4.

Lol, I think I would know what my own song is written in and I assure you that in the Program it's set to 7/8 - If I adjusted the tempo I could make it 5/4, but I already started it in 7/8 so I'm not changing it.

Your piece sounds great so far, though it was kinda hard to hear the Pan Flute melody at the end, but that may just be because it was recorded via phone (btw, thats one Ancient Monitor you have there).

Level 19
Lol, I think I would know what my own song is written in and I assure you that in the Program it's set to 7/8 - If I adjusted the tempo I could make it 5/4, but I already started it in 7/8 so I'm not changing it.

Your piece sounds great so far, though it was kinda hard to hear the Pan Flute melody at the end, but that may just be because it was recorded via phone (btw, thats one Ancient Monitor you have there).

Heh lol ancient monitor indeed:p
But hmm. I'm 99% it's 5/4 but well fuck that...
unfortunately i gotta make something new:(

That sucks, seems like you had near half of the entire base of your song finished (all percussion, etc. seemed finished) before the power outage. Are you going to start again from scratch or try recreating some of your last song?

Edit: Wow, I feel dumb. We were both wrong, I forgot that it was originally 7/8, but I changed it to 15/8 to get the rhythm right (so I guess it would translate to 7.5/4)

Last edited:
Level 19
Gonna start from scratch again.
I want to give it a more fantasy feeling. Atm it feels like it's just african music. Nothing magical about it you know hehe. Maybe I will also try to add some strings.

Added more to my WiP (still don't have a source for good ambiance sound effects though, you know any place to get some that don't sound terrible?).

Primeval WiP 2

Recorded it higher quality this time, I see that did help a bit with the levels.

hmmm, you think the Synth Brass clashes with the rest of the song? (I don't particularly think so but I still want to get an opinion on it) - also I haven't messed with the levels and etc. on the melody yet, Its pretty much just the notes at the moment.

Also it's kinda odd, this is still in the submission section (and my last terraining challenge hasn't been archived yet)

Level 19
Added more to my WiP (still don't have a source for good ambiance sound effects though, you know any place to get some that don't sound terrible?).

Primeval WiP 2

Recorded it higher quality this time, I see that did help a bit with the levels.

hmmm, you think the Synth Brass clashes with the rest of the song? (I don't particularly think so but I still want to get an opinion on it) - also I haven't messed with the levels and etc. on the melody yet, Its pretty much just the notes at the moment.

Also it's kinda odd, this is still in the submission section (and my last terraining challenge hasn't been archived yet)

Looks nice man.
About the synth brass.. Yeah I think it does clash a bit. The thing is, the maremba's used have a warm sound. The brass is a very cold sound if you know what I mean. I would rather use an instrument with a warm sound something african and all. Or maybe a flute or something?
I still didnt start on my new try yet because well.. It's no weekend anymore haha. I might have time this wednesday though.

Well my goal with that sound was kinda to create a melody that carries with it a feeling of water flowing so I chose the Synth Brass. Also I don't want it to sound like its just African music, I also want to convey a sort of fantasy with the music (also Jungles don't only exist in Africa, there's plenty in South America and Asia). I get what your saying about having a cold sound, so maybe I'll try toying with it to get it a bit warmer though I don't think something like a flute or pan flute would serve my purposes.

I still didnt start on my new try yet because well.. It's no weekend anymore haha. I might have time this wednesday though.

Good luck with that

Here comes: WiP 3

Things I already know I need to improve:
-Ambiance - so far I've none
-Pathetic Drum sounds - yeah, the Taiko doesn't strike as all that bad in sound (may replace for an African instrument - I wanted the sound with the impact, and the Taiko has a harder sound) but those Cymbal rolls are bordering on plain sad.
-Melody Levels - I haven't messed with the levels of the different parts yet.
-Transition - the transition to 3/4 could be a bit smoother

Level 19
Here comes: WiP 3

Things I already know I need to improve:
-Ambiance - so far I've none
-Pathetic Drum sounds - yeah, the Taiko doesn't strike as all that bad in sound (may replace for an African instrument - I wanted the sound with the impact, and the Taiko has a harder sound) but those Cymbal rolls are bordering on plain sad.
-Melody Levels - I haven't messed with the levels of the different parts yet.
-Transition - the transition to 3/4 could be a bit smoother

Sounds nice. Though the melody levels seriously need some balance:D
But I'm still trying to count 7/8 in it but everytime I get the feeling the new measure starts a littlebit later. I counted better and noticed it's 7,5/8 which means 15/16. That means 5/4 in a shuffle rhytm. So still I'm pretty sure it's 5/4, 5/8, 15/16.. Something with 5:p

Level 19
Today I had some inspiration and made this.
Because I was in a good mood it didn't matter that I had to work 30min for only recording it so I made a normal track this time (no phone camera shizzle).
It's not done yet but this is what I came up with till... now.

Unnamed WIPthingy

Edit: for one second I thought I double posted but theres 12 hours in between my posts:p

Level 19
It's supposed to be 48 hours. Anyways, both entries sound cool. Keep up the good work. ^^

Aww 48 hours? lol.
Well let's just act like someone else put a post inbetween them.
Anyways thanks for the compliment. Will improve the track this weekend again.

Level 19
I worked on the submission for a while.. well.. tried to.
But I got many new ideas for other themes.
Today I ended up with the submission being half done... A half done Starcraft IIish soundtrack lol and a half done human theme with violins and an orchestra...
Didnt have any jungle idea's today:p Gonna finish the submission tomorrow.

Level 19
Oke I got it finished after stressing 2 hours of only recording it because of my old school programs lol. Fcked up Atari Computer.

Anyways this is my submission. Will also send it in a pm to Army-of-Pandas

Link: Download

K, submitted my final
Final

Its not as polished as I'd like it to be, but for the sake of time I'm done.

Hey Teun, I can't seem to be able to listen to your piece - I've tried through the browser and with save as and it doesn't seem to work (yes I the appropriate programs to play WMA files).
Edit:
Nvm, Winamp seems to not like WMA files though its supposed to support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.