• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Challenge - Juxtaposition - W.wolf.T.wolf vs. Watchman

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hive Workshop

Challenge

Challenge Theme:
Juxtaposition: create a piece of music which expresses a very sharp clash or contrast in itself.

Subject:
Music Composing

Theme:
Juxtaposition

Challenger:

WherewolfTherewolf

Opponent(s):
Watchman

Challenge Duration:
2 weeks

Proposed Reputation Award:
15 reputation

Challenge judging:
Waldbear

Challenge conditions:
The track should be between 2:00 and 8:00 minutes.
This challenge basically follows the general rules as if it's a Music Contest like the one that has recently ended in order to avoid confusion.

Deadline:
1/1/11 0:00 GMT

Last edited:
Level 10
OK guys, I'll do the judging, if you both want me to do it. I would be pleased if you could describe my job here a little more precisely though:
- One round or do you take into consideration to continue this challenge with further musical pieces?
- Are there any special judging criteria you want me to judge? E.g. a points-system to display how important the aspects are (e.g. in this case it may be more important to get the clash/contrast as interesting as possible than to make the piece as closed as possible)
- do you want to make any further requirements than "express a very sharp contrast"? Somehow nearly every piece has some kind of contrast in it, it is just depending on the style how this contrast is expressed and worked with… I hope I did even understand the challenge's theme correctly.

- One round or do you take into consideration to continue this challenge with further musical pieces?

It's just a one round thing
Really the few other music challenges here have worked exactly like the other art type challenges. Well for criteria I figured it would be the same judging criteria used for the last music contest (of course with some changes to work appropriately) but being the judge, it's up to their discretion what the final judging criteria is (at least imo, the judges are supposed to be the authority on the challenge/contest so it'd make sense for them to define what they're judging upon).

Level 10
OK, I'll just take the points system from the last contest and try to judge as equally as possible.
I'll also try to keep up to date with this thread here and am looking forward to your pieces... just define a solid deadline soon (for me it should ideally be before January 10th but this should work with the two weeks anyways) and get to work. :wink: :thumbs_up:

Level 10
We never really set the date, when should this end? 2 weeks from now?

2 weeks from now is good. I think 1 week would suffice also.

OK, so since you are of the same opinion and I'm your judge I'll just set an official date now and since it is December 17th, this date plus 2 weeks and some rounding make the DEADLINE:
[Edit: Deadline has been moved a week back to Jan 8th, 2011]

See you next year. :grin: :wink:

I'm sure that there will be nice pieces from both of you! :goblin_good_job:
(a shame that in a challenge, someone has to loose points)

Last edited:
Level 10
Well, having lots of rep is, well, better than having less, don't cha think?

Agreed, but as you can see I've been here since 2007 and my rep is still low. Well I guess the low post count and relative inactivity explains that but still D:

Is it ok for everyone if I post a WIP .midi here so that you can know what to expect from me?

Level 10
I like where this is going. There's a first contrast between the piano intro and the melodic death metal-like riff that follows and also between the tempos (jumps from 110 for the piano intro to 210 for the riff). It's going to go farther than that, just you wait. The intro is kinda long but it'll have a guitar solo over it.

Attachments

• WIP.rar
    1.5 KB · Views: 79
OK, so since you are of the same opinion and I'm your judge I'll just set an official date now and since it is December 17th, this date plus 2 weeks and some rounding make the DEADLINE:

See you next year. :grin: :wink:

I'm sure that there will be nice pieces from both of you! :goblin_good_job:
(a shame that in a challenge, someone has to loose points)

Aww, why couldn't you make it 1:11 GMT :D

Level 17
Read the first post. It's between me and WherewolfTherewolf. What do you not understand?

Oh sorry its just it said Challnger(s) so i got confused if there were still vacant slots or not.
Looking forward to see yours and Wherewolf pieces. Also your wip is quite catchy. Although the low part sounds odd near the start. its a nice piece

Level 10
Oh sorry its just it said Challnger(s) so i got confused if there were still vacant slots or not.
Looking forward to see yours and Wherewolf pieces. Also your wip is quite catchy. Although the low part sounds odd near the start. its a nice piece

Hehe, thank you. Don't worry, the Music Contest (with multiple contestants) shall start soon. Right after we finish this challenge I hope. I look forward to see you joining that.

Level 30
http://www.box.net/shared/touvmagdmj

Started messing around with some MIDI ideas, I kinda like this as an intro but I'm not sure where I'm going to go with it

I think your sitars (They're sitars right?) have a too high damp. If it's possible, i'd tone it down. Sounds good though.

@watchmen: That's quite a nice "drop", though I don't like those very early drums too much, they're just a bit too fast for my taste.
Though, the intro has some notes that sound a bit off, I think, and it's a bit repetitive and some of the variations just make it a bit akward at some moments.
I like it a lot though o:
I'm allowed to give feedback right?

I think your sitars (They're sitars right?) have a too high damp. If it's possible, i'd tone it down. Sounds good though.

Well I'm just doing the MIDI wip atm, I don't have extensive control over the timbre or anything like that, it'll sound better when I render it when I finish writing the whole piece

Level 10

@watchmen: That's quite a nice "drop", though I don't like those very early drums too much, they're just a bit too fast for my taste.
Though, the intro has some notes that sound a bit off, I think, and it's a bit repetitive and some of the variations just make it a bit akward at some moments.
I like it a lot though o:
I'm allowed to give feedback right?

Of course you're allowed to give feedback. Since I posted the WIP I modified just about every part you said you don't like, hehe. That piano intro is supposed to have a guitar solo over it, that's why it's so repetitive - it's just the rhythm for the solo.

Level 30
Of course you're allowed to give feedback. Since I posted the WIP I modified just about every part you said you don't like, hehe. That piano intro is supposed to have a guitar solo over it, that's why it's so repetitive - it's just the rhythm for the solo.
Oh but the piano part is a great intro, just a bit long, when the guitar kicks in, it's pretty nice. Having a guitar over it would ruin that kind of feelin I think. You could take a piece of the pianopart as a small intro with the guitar kicking in a lot earlier. This would make it less repetitive and the you could put the part you were planning to do behind it.
That's how I'd do that because I think the drop at 1:06 is awesome and I wouldn't really want to lose it.
I also think at 1:15 you could half the speed of the hats. Because it sounds a bit odd and it might sound a bit better if you'd do this.

Dealing with technical difficulties atm.....
I hope I'll be able to get my program working correct....

For Christmas I just got a new laptop that's much, much better then my comp
The problem? Well my audio program wasn't originally meant to work with Windows 7, so you have to do special steps to get it to work correctly with patches and stuff. Well after patching it incorrectly I needed to uninstall it, the problem is it's not reinstalling correctly so I'm trying to remove all files for it, but that's turning out to be a bit more difficult then it sounds so I can reinstall it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.