• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Archipelago vs M0rbid vs WherewolfTherewolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
The Hive Workshop
Vasai-fort-ruins.jpg

~Terrain Challenge Request~

Challenge Arena Rules:
  • No memory leaks are allowed in triggers or scripts.
  • Challenge results must be bug-free.
  • Copy and paste techniques are not permitted.
  • No exports from other games are acceptable.
Challenger:

Archipelago

Opponent(s):

m0rbid
WherewolfTherewolf

Challenge Duration:
2 weeks

Proposed Reputation Award:

Challenge judging:
Poll (& Keji if he wants to)

Map-specific conditions:
Theme:

Ruins (Any sort, modern, ancient)

Imports allowed:

Any (If availible to all of us...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
Well there's Pyritie - other then that I'm not exactly sure. I know Keiji handles Terrain competitions so he may be able to approve this.

Damn this takes time :S (And yes I do respect the fact that mods have personal lives... ) Also, I was going to challenge r0bfish but changed my mind and challenged WherewolfTherewolf & m0rbid insted, and I forgot the thread name :S

Last edited:
Level 14
Dude.. Archipelago i commend you for your lighting, but it kills my eyes. Is the outpost becoming ruined now by some sun god that just exploded all over earth? i mean really lighten it up and make it go back farther also add more variation and detail to the foreground and i guess even the background. Especcially for the fact you have different "trees" in the foreground then the background. Try and mix them up together to get a better more natural effect. And use more palm trees and more grass. tile variation aswell. :/

Wherewolftherewolf: From what i see in your terrain it would work well with an alpha tile and some nice waterfall effects. I do like the detail but it seems very busy in a small area. i've never really like the stretched textures of some of the sunken ruins doodads.

Morbid: Although theres not a lot to comment on i would suggest a better angle seeing as how right now it seems like an ugly close up of one of the portal terrains. The plants don't really fit with the enviorment and although they be more of a WIP then the rest of the terrain the tiles really turn me off from this terrain. I would say try and give it either a really good barren outland something like Keiji's dark portal terrain. This one ---> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/left-memory-99707/ Learn and bask in its glory.

Level 23
Morbid: Although theres not a lot to comment on i would suggest a better angle seeing as how right now it seems like an ugly close up of one of the portal terrains. The plants don't really fit with the enviorment and although they be more of a WIP then the rest of the terrain the tiles really turn me off from this terrain. I would say try and give it either a really good barren outland something like Keiji's dark portal terrain. This one ---> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/left-memory-99707/ Learn and bask in its glory.

AAAAAAHHH, you should have been more patient, I was just about to upload my next screenshot, hope you like that one more than the first, it was just a really early one, to show the terraining process up from the start!
Thanks for the link though, but I think my terrain turns into a slightly different type. I try to really get an individual lokking environment for my ruins!
But you're totally right, with what you said about the portal! I'm still searching for an idea there!

Attachments

• Ruins1.jpg
    Ruins1.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 196
K, getting closer to final now - still no shadows. Threw in a caravan in the desert for size comparison

I'm also still contemplating what's the best fog setting for this

And now that I'm thinking about it, I'll replace those Trees with better ones.

Also Koto's are the closest things I have to Camels unfortunately

EDIT:
I will finish this tomorrow, too much homework tonight - but finishing the day its ending is fine right?

Edit:
K, I couldn't the shadow's perfect but I'm out of time - here's my final:
Oasis

75678d1266462066-archipelago-vs-m0rbid-vs-wherewolftherewolf-oasis-.1.jpg

Edit AGAIN: Just noticed I missed a spot, give me a sec to finish it - k updated the first picture

Attachments

• WiP5orsomething.jpg
    WiP5orsomething.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
  • Oasis.jpg
    Oasis.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Oasis .1.jpg
    Oasis .1.jpg
    770 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Level 23
Yes, I think challenge was up to 17 so I wasn't able to get a new screenshot or is there some more time? Up to today evening?

EDIT: I'm not sure, if this still counts, but I've an updated shot, which normally shouldn't be my final, but I had no more time, so I'll post this and hope you both accept this as my final!

Attachments

• RuinsFinal.jpg
    RuinsFinal.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 293
Status
Not open for further replies.