1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Contest #2 - Desert

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by WherewolfTherewolf, Jul 22, 2010.

1. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well I'm open to that - seems like it worked out well for the terrain thread.

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like the fusion theme - we're trying to sort out a better one atm - though I'd love to hear something electron that's a bit more then the normal electronica approach we got a lot of in the last contest in the whole synth field.

2. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
    Alright then!

Here's what I've found.

Possible Themes

1. Environmental: Write a piece of music depicting a specific environment.
    This theme has several possible variations. A single environment could be listed, or contestants could choose from a list of environments.

2. Starcraft: Write a piece of music that fits Starcraft II. Essentially, what does Starcraft sound like to you?

3. Action Music: Write a piece of music which creates a sense of action, rush, and/or combat. This theme has two possible variations. One would require all submissions to be composed as background music, the other would not.

4. Cinematic (Non-specific): Write a piece of music that could serve as background music for a cinematic.

5. Cinematic (Specific): Write a piece of music to replace the background music of a Blizzard cinematic of your choosing. A possible variation would limit the choices to Warcraft 3 cinematics only.

6. Self-Portrait: Portray yourself (or your image of yourself) in a piece of music. All submissions must have a written explanation of how the submission depicts its creator.

7. Word: Take a single word and use music to convey any meaning it has to you. This theme has several possible variations. One variation would require all contestants to use the same word (which would be listed in the main post). Another variation would be to create a list for contestants to choose from.

8. Poetry: Take a piece of poetry (this includes scenes from plays such as Faust and Shakespeare's plays) and write a piece of music to fit it. If you wish to include a vocal part, you are allowed to use the poem for the lyrics. All submissions must be accompanied by the poem you based your piece on. Poems in other languages are allowed so long as you provide a rough translation, and/or an explanation of the poem's meaning.

9. Variations: Take a simple, non-copyrighted melody (preferrably a well known one, such as a folk song), and create as many variations of it as you can in a single piece. See how many different sounds you can get from using different rhythms, instruments, modes, keys, harmonies, and methods of ornamentation for this one melody, while still keeping your piece coherent and enjoyable.

10. Character: Write a piece depicting a character from either Warcraft or Starcraft lore.

11. Location: Write a piece depicting a place in the Warcraft universe.

12. Lore: Write a piece depicting a specific event in the history of Warcraft or Starcraft.

If I missed any, or if you'd like to suggest a theme, notify me and I'll add it.

And here's my vote:
    CoBrA b - Self-Portrait.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. VoidLordXtreme

VoidLordXtreme

Resources:
    Resources:
    i'd go for: 3. 4. 5. 11. and 12.

btw. hi
    =D

4. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dude, honestly I don't like the theme. It's hard to mix two different music genres. A better derivation of the theme would be to take a song of one genres and re-write it in another genre. Like take a jazz song and make it metal. Also from that list I thing number 10 is perfect for the second song contest.

5. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    What aboud doing the voting in an other thread and let people vote ~4 times?
    Because its a big list I think its better to let people vote a 1st, 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) choice.

6. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah. That sounds better. Avoids any confusion as to whether we're still considering the theme presented in this thread. Also, the 4 votes thing also sounds good.

I'll get said thread up ASAP.

7. Jaret

Jaret

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Well, from all of these, I mostly like the 10th. And about the voting... Somebody make a poll :D

8. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Think carefully when voting - Character seems a lot like the last contests theme (race), example: Grom is a war-bound orc thus his music will most likely have a menacing looming war feeling to it, which is pretty much what you'd for Orcs period.

My favorite choices are:
    1: Environment
    6: Self Portrait
    7: Word

Do you want to start another thread for the actual voting?

9. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah.

I think that starting another thread avoids any confusion as to what the thread is about. Also, it makes it easier to keep track of votes.

10. PsiSan

PsiSan

Resources:
    Resources:
    its a good idea, its something diffrent for a change!!!

Where do i post?! LoLz

11. DudeSpirit

DudeSpirit

Resources:
    Resources:
    I actually like this theme and i might just jump in to the competition.

12. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    K updated this with the new theme

Also note this is the time to get any rules changed you feel necessary (with consensus of course).

Also getting judges before the contest starts is helpful.

13. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme and the chosen race. The Race that you have chosen must be clearly indicated in the final entry post.

Hehe, copy+paste much? Meh, w/e if it gets hosted I'm in.

14. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll enter this!
    Whenever it starts I will start actually making something, but I'll start brainstorming right away.

15. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    K, fixed the rule page.

Any other rules anyone wants altered before the contest starts?

16. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't really like this rule that much:
    "All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme."

With that it becomes who makes the best explanation. My opinion actually is that if the composition is good, everyone should immediately be able to hear it's for a desert. If you can only see the desert feeling whenever someone explains to you why you should feel that then the whole point of the message of the composer is gone.
    I understand you might want this rule but I'm just saying it ruins a littlebit of the challenge of making a track where people immediatelly understand where it could fit in.

17. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    The bit about whoever makes the best explanation winning is not true. In the previous competition, explanations, no matter how great or otherwise, were hardly considered. As for your point about immediate theme recognition, if the song fit the theme and this was immediately apparent, then it obviously won.

18. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow
    Still post ideas on possible rectifications of rules or that sort of thing
    I'll be able to see them when I get back.

19. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Bump, back from vacation

20. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I changed my mind.
    I don't have much time anymore to join the contest. But on the other hand I could judge this contest. So if you agree I could become a judge and you could just get the contest started because I got the feeling like everyone's waiting for a judge.

teun.