• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Movies to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

So below are movies with my quick rating (which spoil the movie), if you know any I might enjoy share it here thanks. :)

Kind of a follow-up to Anime to watch?

Title
Verbal descriptionQuickly thought score
Nolan's Dark Knight TrilogyI'm a sucker for these kinds of movies7
Beautiful MindI'm a bit biased because it was my first unreliably told movie6.5.
Forrest GumpI like that it follows someone's life5
V for VendettaStrong lead male character and I like the fact he dies haha5
Matrix 1I normally wouldn't stand ridiculousness in real life settings, but it's interesting to some degree5
Fight ClubI could bear the slow pace if the plot was interesting, still the fighting, message and unreliability is nice I guess3
Jurassic ParkDinosaurs! :D4
MementoMemorable one, I like the order in which the movie is told!6
SawNO!1
James Bond moviesVery clear plots in each of them which are told marvelously, distinctive protagonist/antagonist in each6, the newer ones reaching 7 as visuals got better.
Lord of the Rings trilogyThe plot is clear and setting is nice, distinction from reality is good. I'm a bit biased as these are one of the first movies I've watched.8
Harry Potter moviesFollows Harry's adventurous life, very fascinating, well built world.8.5
The ThingTension is good, plot is there, visuals are bad.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
Memento - Memorable one, I like the order in which the movie is told! 6
If you're into mindfuck movies, here's a few:
- Predestination
- Shutter Island
- Coherence
- The Prestige
- Inception
Most of Nolan movies if you notice
My next in line to watch is 'Primer', also about time travel.

A Beautiful Mind
If you're into mathematicians, I would also suggest 'The Imitation Game'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Shutter Island
Just watched this, will give another watch too since it seems like the kind of film that asks for it.
Also will see if I get to watch others you suggested.

I am most into the hallucination aspect in Beautiful Mind, I was 11 years old when I first saw that movie and it really got me.

Level 19
The thing was an epic movie and the 2000 version of it is good as well

the island, is also a good movie well until they break out.

Jason 5, is a good murder movie. it is the last of the series with an ending that has you wanting more.

geepers creepers... good but all the follow up movies suck

kill bill... brilliant comedy

hmmm I'm out

Level 12
Jacob's ladder - if you want to see what all those silent hills are based on.

Manhunter - the original Hannibal Lecter movie. Very good stuff.

12 angry man - watch the 50s version. It might be in black and white and set in one room, but the acting and pacing are superb.

Roland

R

Roland

Wolf Creek 2 (John Jarrat and Ryan Corr)
Blood Creek (Michael Fassbender as Antagonist)
Eden Lake (Michael Fassbender eventually gets killed lator *Spoilor Alort*)
Collateral (Starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx)
High or Hell Water (Ben Foster and Chris Pine)
Take (Jeremy Renner as Greg Saul)
Dahmer (Jeremy Renner Movie)
The Bye Bye Man (Douglas Jones)
Mirrormask
Pandorum
(Ben Foster and Dennis Quaid)
Lars and the Real Girl (Ryan Gosling)
Only God Forgives (Ryan Gosling)
The Place Beyond the Pines (Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling)
Voices (Ryan Reynolds)
Buried (Ryan Reynolds)
Sicario (Benicio Del Toro)
The Wolfman (Benicio Del Toro)
The Lobster (Colin Farrell)
The Way Back (Ed Harris and Collin Farrel)
The Tales of the Quadead Zone (Super Rare Underground 80's film)
Interstellar (Ann Hathaway)
Finding Dory (Ellen DeGeneres)
Creep (Sean Harris)

M-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-re Toooo Come!

and oh @jondrean use this thread instead of making your own.
Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The thing was an epic movie and the 2000 version of it is good as well
The 2011 film you are referring to is a prequel to the 1982 film, not a remake.
The 1982 film is a remake of the 1951 film.

Jacob's ladder - if you want to see what all those silent hills are based on.

Manhunter - the original Hannibal Lecter movie. Very good stuff.

12 angry man - watch the 50s version. It might be in black and white and set in one room, but the acting and pacing are superb.
+rep as soon as I can. :thumbs_up:

Just pointing out, Jacob's Ladder is actually more than any average / standard horror movie.

Level 35
Well in this case the setting is a besieged city with rotting, dead bodies and ruined buildings everywhere. You get the strong lead characters though: the ludicrously American, handsome rich jew playing who is supposed to be an illiterate, pig faced Soviet sniper as the protagonist, and a ruthless, child killing, non-existent nazi sniper as the antagonist.

Americans say the movie is pro-communist propaganda, but in fact, it's a movie showing how awesome America is, embedded into the history of the Soviet Union without a single character playing an American character in it. I can only imagine the controversy such a movie would make if it was released today.

Level 22
Spirited Away is in the list so I'm guessing that it's okay to suggest something animated...

I remember Spirited Away as something like the Wizard of Oz... I can't remember much though.

Level 32
Snowpiercer, yes. The Divergent series is pretty meh in my opinion. The plots are the generic post-apocolyptic "government is evil" thing. But overall it's not the worst series. The acting is okay, the visuals are decent.

For new-ish movies to watch, I recommend Logan, Hacksaw Ridge, and Life. Also, Kong Skull-Island was better than I expected. It's no more than your "cool action movie", but if you're into that, you'l enjoy it.

Last edited:
Level 11
You guys aware that there are 3 snowpiercer (graphic) novels? In the third one they get off the train and go into some skyscraper beneath the ice, I heard it was really good

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Last edited:
Level 11
@pyf Wait I heard there were a couple of novels about it, but I also heard that the movie deviated a great deal from the novels. and it was only loosely based on the 1st one

Have you read the novels, and if so could you provide a brief summary. I am a BIG fan of the movie

Last edited by a moderator:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@pyf Wait I heard there were a couple of novels about it, but I also heard that the movie deviated a great deal from the novels. and it was only loosely based on the 1st one

5 Biggest Differences Between the SNOWPIERCER Novel and Movie [List] ~ The Geek Twins

Review: Snowpiercer, The Graphic Novel

Have you read the novels [...]
No. And I did not see the film yet.

[...] could you provide a brief summary. [...]
Maybe.
"There's a train"
Done. :wink:

Le Transperceneige - Wikipedia

Interview
'Snowpiercer' Creators Explain The Long Journey From French Graphic Novel To Korean Chris Evans Movie

Review
Comic Review: ‘SNOWPIERCER – VOL 1: THE ESCAPE’

Vox populi:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Snowpiercer, Vol. 1: The Escape

Voix du peuple:
Le Transperceneige

Level 28
Still waiting for @jondrean's score on Spirited Away =P

These are the ones that quickly got into my mind when I think of films that really got me:

The Shining (1980)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Trainspotting (1996)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
Spirited Away (2001)
Amour (2012)
Interstellar (2014)

Being John Malkovich (1999) - Spike Jonze

Definitely!

Level 16
Can you imagine a snowpiercer video game?

That would be so awesome....first you gather materials then fight your way through the end sections, then grab some clubs and destroy some more guards, then basically grab some guns and have shoot outs on the train, kill some ravers maybe, then come to the front kill wilson and then derail the whole damn train, that would be so epic!

Level 16
@Blake8
Yeah, Snowpiercer was a movie that exceeded all expectations I had for it, infact I watched the movie twice to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time around, movies like that are hard to find

Also someone asked me why I liked the divergeant series, well look at the plot twist in the third film; they were inside of an experiment the whole time, now idk about anyone else but that was a pretty shocking revelation for me, I thought the film was going to be about Tris and friends trying to survive in a desolate landscape and eventually finding some shelter among primitive survivors or something instead it turned out to be something completely different. IDK I like movies like that, you think you know where they're going and instead they make a 180 degree turn in a better direction....those are just my preferences I guess

Last edited:
Level 30
@Blake8
Yeah, Snowpiercer was a movie that exceeded all expectations I had for it, infact I watched the movie twice to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time around, movies like that are hard to find

Also someone asked me why I liked the divergeant series, well look at the plot twist in the third film; they were inside of an experiment the whole time, now idk about anyone else but that was a pretty shocking revelation for me, I thought the film was going to be about Tris and friends trying to survive in a desolate landscape and eventually finding some shelter among primitive survivors or something instead it turned out to be something completely different. IDK I like movies like that, you think you know where they're going and instead they make a 180 degree turn in a better direction....those are just my preferences I guess

Reminds me of Der Sturm Der Lieben where Hanz was dreaming the entire 5th-8th seasons and Lenny never died. Now that was a pretty shocking revelation to me.

Roland

R

Roland

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.2 ~ Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista
10 Cloverfield Lane ~ John Goodman, Bradley Cooper, John Gallagher

Level 21
Some random recommendations of recent movies (2016-2017):
  1. Train to Busan - Zombie outbreak scenario on a train with distinct characters struggling to survive. <Highly recommended, was refreshing even for a genre veteran like me.
  2. I Daniel Blake - Heart attack survivor Daniel Blake struggles to get unemployment benefits in a shrewd and obscure social system. <Really heart warming "normal people" and infuriating officials.
  3. Split - An imaginative story about the dark depths of the human mind and its potential, told through a man with multiple personality disorder who has taken three girls as hostage. <Shyamalan twist par excellence.

Level 11
@pyf i dont see how people couldve not liked snowpiercer, the movie was really good in a ton of different ways, for instance its story, the action, the fact that the train is an allegory for a closed society, the twist
the only reason they keep the tail enders on board is because their kids are needed to fit inside the engine and feed it coal because the mechanical parts that was doing their function is now 'extinct'
, just everything about it makes it a great movie

pyf

pyf

Level 32
i dont see how people couldve not liked snowpiercer, the movie was really good in a ton of different ways, [...]

The people who hated it certainly explained why on IMDb.

It is imho a good idea to use their Loved it / Hated it filters. They ultimately help to better understand other people's points of view. Too bad the reviewer's age is never mentioned, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.