• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anime to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I like to watch anime sometimes. I've listed some titles I've seen over time and wouldn't mind some recommendations based on it.

You're free to discuss anime in general as well.

Title
RatingQuick review

Anohana
4/10 "Only a select lot see you" cliché is so overused and the tear-jerking stems from that quirk. I would've loved more drama, since the ingredients were there.

Naruto
5/10 Excluding Shippuden as it hasn't finished. I like the character development. This anime is immature, for example characters don't die, or extremely rarely do.

Death Note
6/10 I find the "invisible shinigami follows you" - idea intriguing. The plot is overly contingent on wits, which is too arbitrary to my taste. Not that I'd like the genre to begin with...

When They Cry
6/10 The premise and execution are nice. Maybe less iterations would've sufficed, although it remained a frightfully riveting story through both seasons.

Elfen Lied
6.5/10 The plot plays out disappointingly; Lucy conveniently gets her powers right in the nick of time. Although I must admit I like how graphic it is.

Parasyte the Maxim
6.5/10 Parasite invasion is executed nicely, and overall the execution is nice. I like the gore in it.

Clannad
7/10 Second season is a tear jerker without parallel. But the first one consists of arcs which put me off, and wasn't too compelling overall, sans Fuko arc.

Kimi no Na wa.
7/10 Very good development and execution in less than 2 hours. Needed more romantic elements, since the relationship was the story's driving force besides magic.

Koe no Katachi
8/10 It's a must-see movie if you share my preferences. However, side characters were gray and lacked development. Left me yearning for romantic advances between characters.

Edit: Formatted the list a bit
Edit 2: Added a few titles.
Edit 3: Changed wording.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
The following are all short anime

Eureka seven
is an interesting twist on a love story. A boy falls in love with an alien/robot hybrid who is the captain of a giant machine samurai bandit... Gay people tend to love the story and I found it particularly interesting simply because they show what I would deem as true love(conquers all)

Basilisk is a love story with a twist. Two ninja clans and two head of their clan ninja's fall in love, but just when they fall for each other their clans announce war. Bound by honour they swear to kill each other for their clan!

Hellsing I didn't really like this particular anime, the story line sucks, don't watch it

Uhm... that's all I have for now. there was also this one anime which I forget the name of, I think it was 'one of them is not related'??? It was also a kinda love story. This guy wakes up one morning with two extremely hot girls claiming to both be his long last sister. Thing is he only had one sister. He ends up falling in love with both of them but know he can not marry his sister, so what can he do???? I never watched that one to the end but it was defiantly entertaining.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Ok I finished Parasyte, it's like 6/10 - above average, in my eyes.

Edit: As to clarify, I find single season animes annoying. But something like One Piece is ridiculous.

Edit2: Well in my list it's 6.5 cuz it's definitely better than Death Note in my eyes, but I hate the lack of episodes too much to give it 7.

Keep the suggestions coming hehe :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Yes, but I hate reading it from monitor screen. Something like Naruto I can find from my local library, but the chances of me getting a physical copy get slimmer beyond that.

I prefer anime, I like the sounds and animation very much. But when we get to the garbage quality such as Code Geass, manga would be better.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Yes I could rate Tokyo Ghoul better than Parasyte easily, I see it has multiple seasons. I'm all for content.

I will give it a try soon-ish!

Well as I said already I can't stand the visuals of Code Geass, if I find physical manga collection of it I might read it.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I already read it though, an I still think you should upload it here on hive.

You can make chapter two to it.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I have decided to include anime movies on my list here as well.

I watched Kimi no Na wa., which takes the top position it seems. It had a lot of elements I enjoy, so some bias is potentially at play there (but then again, this is my list..).

Then Spirited Away I must give another watch, or all of the Studio Ghibli movies to be honest.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Oh, Fullmetal Alchemist Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV Series 2009–2010) - IMDb 60k votes
9.1 on IMDB

Not a movie but it's one of the best anime, easily.

Also Avatar the last airbender, I might have a bit childhood bias on it, but it is the best non-japanese cartoon I've watched by miles. 9.x on IMDB I think

Level 19
The last Airbender was ok. very funny animation (as in humor) quite deep at times too. I don't know, for me it's one of those animations that ended too soon.

anime is generally very sexist but the last air bender found a good balance of characters. does anyone know of any more anime that has strong male and female roles?

Level 15
Yakitate! Japan, an old anime about making bread. Really funny. I believe it's the only one that has that kind of story. The ending is suck, but overall story is really great. The content is 90% same as its manga.

Hmm... i believe that's the only anime I watch. I much prefer cartoon (adventure time, avatar last airbender, regular show)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yakitate! Japan, an old anime about making bread. Really funny. I believe it's the only one that has that kind of story. [...]
Category:Cooking anime and manga - Wikipedia

At first glance, some parts somewhat remind me of Mister Ajikko (a.k.a. 'Le Petit chef' in France), an early cooking/battle related manga/anime from the mid-late 1980s.

For the record, some TV anime series were *very* loosely translated/dubbed, if not *heavily* censored/re-cut/re-imagined in France, roughly from the late 1980s until the mid-1990s.

Level 14
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou - Drama, Romantic Comedy anime. (A story about a high-school student taking care a girl, who's extremely lacking of common sense and living ability)
One-Punch Man - Action, Comedy, Superhero anime. (An ordinary protagonist who suffers due to having overwhelming strength to find a perfect opponent)
Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri - Fantasy anime. (A world where two dimensions connects through a portal, between fantasy world and modern world.)

Those were my favorite animes so far.

Level 34
@Edge45

Jackson2-05.jpg

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Thanks for opening the thread.

Added Anohana, Koe no Katachi and Clannad. Changed the old formatting and wording a little bit.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I watched Re:Zero. While I didn't find the story most compelling, its world was wondrous and I'm ecstatic in finding out that there was continuation announced in March.

I don't know about Attack on Titan, I'm not the biggest fan of action genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.