• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anime for people who hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Please don't watch Steins;Gate with the american (rather than english, let's call it american) dub, it loses so much character it isn't even funny. And this is not sub elitism or anything, it's just that a lot of hilarity comes from engrish and/or Okabe's (mostly) mad scientist character, which really translates poorly in the dub.
I can't really argue this since I haven't seen the show with Subs, but I couldn't stand the voice acting for some of the characters in Japanese, and watching it in "American" it's still an amazing anime. I thought Okabe was hilarious in American and he was definitely a mad scientist.

I can't really argue this since I haven't seen the show with Subs, but I couldn't stand the voice acting for some of the characters in Japanese, and watching it in "American" it's still an amazing anime. Top 3 for me.

There's a ton of this in the series:

I initially watched it dubbed, but a friend warmly suggested to me that dub is garbage (which I later found out to be 100% true in comparison).

Even if you disregarded everything else, you can't let Okabe ever get dubbed, his Japanese laughs, voice, mannerisms, etc, are completely lost in the american version.

What an anime lover would think was good anime != what anyone not really into anime would even like.

The more you're an die-hard anime fanatic, the more you should make sure that your recommendations would actually be helpful to someone that isn't into the "genre". I'm not into 90% of anime because I don't find it good on it's own merits. You pretty much have to like anime to like most of it is my experience. And that is coming from a guy who watched A LOT in the past.

Anyway, everybody should like Cowboy Bebop, especially western audiences. Also One Punch Man.

Level 34
Let's not forget about Legend of Korra
So this isn't the first time this has been mentioned. My knee jerk reaction is to remind everyone that it isn't an anime and call anyone a buffoon for thinking so. However, since this is about introducing people to anime, or anime for people who don't like anime, this is actually a good suggestion.

While Avatar and Korra are not anime, the art style is definitely influenced by anime. I think it would actually be a possible gateway into anime.

Let's not forget about Legend of Korra

Yeah, that was really good, too. I still liked the first one better, though. Legend of Korra brought in the shittiness of the modern world, where anyone trying to do good would become the enemy of the government simply because everyone is more concerned with enforcing arbitrary laws than they are with making the world a better place. People today seem to think that trying to make the world a better place is foolish, but really it should be the only thing that matters.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Gilles, it is an anime. Since my previous comment about why it is an anime was deleted, I am not going to justify why it is.
I agree with you, it is not anime-anime, but features anime elements, like facial expressions, so yes, gateway somehow, I agree.

Yes, InfernalTater, one should definitely not compare LoA and LoK. They are completely different in many aspects.
I disagree on your point with the plot though. LoK's plot has strong relation to issues nowadays and that is a good thing, isn't it ? After my taste that's better tham some glittery-fancy world with rainbow-popping unicorns.
LoK misses the ease of LoA though.

Claymore is an interesting anime, too.
It has hardly anime elements, but strongly focusses on one's aims and decisions.
I think it already moves into the cartoon direction, due to the lack of facial elements, for example.

Kuroshitsuji, if you are into soft dark stuff.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

anime = japanesse animation?

Whether it is defined as an anime or not is completely, utterly arbitrary.
In fact, there is no firm definition of what "anime" is, it is more of a slang, and could either refer to:
1) Cartoons made in Japan
2) Cartoons made with typical Japanese cartoon style

In this sense, if a Japanese animation team decides to do something very non-anime-like, it could still fall into the first definition but not in the second. On the other hand, if somebody outside Japan would decide to create an animation that mimics the typical Japanese style, it falls under definition number 2.

And that is it. It is incredible how people find the time and energy to discuss something as arbitrary as this, and more so without any sort of real argumentation. It only comes down to language and what words mean at some point in time, it is not an exact science where you invest a lot of energy to defend a proper scientific proposition that's as true as ever, language is ever changing.

All this being said, Myazaki's films are at some points BARELY anime by the 2nd definition, but definitely so by the 1st definition.

Avatar is ABSOLUTELY NOT anime by 1st definition, but is VERY MUCH SO according to the second definition.

Country of origin is an extremely arbitrary thing if it does not necessarily dictate the shape or form of content of some media. In said edge cases, that's shown to pretty much be the case upon any closer style inspection.

Therefore, is Avatar an anime? It shares many technical similarities with typical Japanese animation therefore, let's say it is. Is every single cartoon in Japan an anime, DESPITE maybe not having any typical technical attributes that Japanese animation has? No. And this is all to separate things into categories by similarity of form, rather than country of origin.

After all, "anime" is more so a slang word, an abbreviation of Japanese pronunciation of "animation", and in Japan it refers to all animation, not just what is considered to be "anime" in the western world. This goes to further challenge the idea that language is something stiff and that those definitions are of particular importance. After all, we all use language just for convenience and ease of communication, therefore, again, it is more meaningful and purposeful to separate things by form, rather than simply country of origin.

Here is My Anime List's search result for "Legend of Korra"

http://myanimelist.net/search/all?q=Legend of Kora

It is not anime.

MyAnimeList, although a very useful site, is not the absolute authority on defining English (or any) language.

From this post onwards, all posts regarding what anime is or is not will be 'moder8ed' out of the thread since apparently Squiggy is watching over this thread. I am only writing and putting this out there to make sure that people understand what the thread refers to.

Level 21
Always wanted to check out anime to see what the fuzz is about yet still I didn't.Not sure if I will or not.I'm uncertain

HappyTauren,
For someone who hates anime,u know alot about it.
So i dont hate anime,i just dont like anime series.
The anime movies are awesome.
But,the anime series getting more,and more weird.
And i know my limits,i watched Naruto shippuden once.
When i reached a special Naruto shippuden episode,where Naruto fights vs. Naruto robot.
That have go above all my limits.
So i told myself "Im out!,i dont even want to know the end,where Pain and Naruto fights.".
-Added:
Sorry, i dont mean Pain.
I have think about where Obito and Naruto fight.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Add Psycho pass and boku no hero academia maybe ?

Level 16
f0d.png

For real though. If I were to recommend an anime to people who dislike it, these would be my pick:

• Erased(Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi)
  • Digimon Tri
  • Hajime no Ippo
  • Shinsekai Yori
  • Death Parade

Level 19
ERASED(Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi)
[/LIST]

I really like this anime it's really great.

If you want something similar to that then you can try

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

It's a story of a high school boy who suddenly summoned into another world without knowing who summoned him or what reasons. Also he gained an ability "Returns by Death" which every time he dies, he revives in a certain checkpoint.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

apcrabnightlive said:
I really like this anime it's really great.

It's awesome , yes. But the end is really frustrating... its good but I wanted the anime to go on further and I also thought I'd get to know how/why/when satoru got the revival power.

Also, can anyone explain
why the teacher couldn't live without the main character? He even tries to save him frrom falling from the hospital roof

Apparently it's because the main character has foiled his plans, and he has made the confrontation with the main character the main thing in his life, so he was waiting for the moment he wakes up so he can confront him again, but once he's dead, he has nothing else to look forward to. Obviously this kinda feels like a bullshit story but it kinda works when you consider teacher's a really messed up person after all, although he didn't actually end up killing anyone in the final timeline.

Level 22
I'm more of a manga gent but I can agree that One Punch man is a good show. I also liked the 80's era anime where violence was rampant lol. Atatatatatatatatata! You're already dead.

Off-topic: anime... I think it's because the Japanese people like abbreviating words that it came out like this, I mean just look at トイレ (toire), first time I read it on some mahō shōjo manga, I was like "wth is this?", turns out it meant toilet lol. You can also see this in other stuff they make; モンハン(monster hunter), ポケモン(pocket monster, gotta catch 'em all!), モンスガ(monster girl, yōkai shoujo), モン娘(daily life with a monster girl), and more... But wait! blah blah punchline.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I discovered a little gem called Towa no Quon.
I am not sure whether it is a good anime for people who hate it,
but it is a good anime ( 6 episodes à 45 minutes, as the author died during the development or something),
since it includes many many small elements, like intense battles,
but also values like friendship, revenge and fighting for the right.
It has a good balance.

Level 15
I personally got back to the whole anime thing because of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I actually thought it was a girls' show until Episode 3 came. Yeah, I love the unique writing for a magical girl genre and pretty much the art direction really sucked me in. Though the Rebellion movie is pretty much like the Matrix sequels, it's still my favorite anime.

Gen Urobuchi (the writer) did a fantastic job on the story, after watching the series, I actually watched his other works like Psycho Pass. I'm yet to watch Aldnoah Zero and Fate/Zero, got no time. :(

I'd recommend Madoka to any person who hates fanservice, nonsense and simply the total lack of depth in an anime, especially modern ones.

I really like this guy's opinion and it seems we have to share the same taste too, check his top 30 lists, they are mostly sublime: http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/03/31/top-30-anime-series-of-all-time/

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

I'm more of a manga gent but I can agree that One Punch man is a good show. I also liked the 80's era anime where violence was rampant lol. Atatatatatatatatata! You're already dead.

Watched Corpse Party ?

Status
Not open for further replies.